Did United hire Ole because the club can't attract a top manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
Im starting to think Solskjaer's hasty appointment and the veering from the original plan to assess our options at the end of the season could be down to the fact no one wants to be near this train wreck of a club. Its possible United had talks with Zidane and he didn't like what he heard and figured we're too much of a mess to get involved.

Surely the club put feelers out there to get some idea about who might be interested in taking the role next season while Ole performed his care taking duties (if they didn't the running of the club is much worse than we think). Maybe even Pochettino wasn't interested and the board took a collective 'feck it' stance and gave Ole the permanent job on a whim based on his initial results. Perhaps its been discussed on here already but its starting to look apparent to me that this could be the case.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Well. You said it. It was the epic results and performances showed in the initial period, combined with his standing as an ex-player and the media and fans all being flabbergasted by the change in fortune after his arrival, that made it pretty much a logical choice. I mean, how could you say no at that point? If we did have a plan, then obviously we wouldn't have been veering from it. The point is we didn't, and we just couldn't believe our luck when a interim manager revealed himself as the solution. It is not much else to say about it or need to rewrite history.

el3mel

Nope. It's because our football decisions aren't planned and are just about panicking and giving fat contract to the good performer as if it's a knee jerker fan who is running the club not a competent CEO. A player plays a series of good matches and instantly gets a fat contract then his performance drops. Nothing different here.

It's normal for fans to knee jerk, all of us do all the time, but I don't expect a competent CEO running a big football club to not have a plan and just throwing fat contracts left, right and center because of a series of good results. I expect our CEO to have a more organized way in making decisions than us fans.

But for United this is fantasy.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Nah, they got duped over our honeymoon period form. It not only just shows how shite we were under Mourinho but also how poorly we are run as a club. We should have assessed things more carefully as I did during that period. I doubt if we had given Ole the job, he would be here next season. Since we have given it to him now, it will look bad to ruthlessly sack him as it not makes our board look incompetent and it will not portray a good image.

Skills

Snitch
I think it was just because it was the easy way out. Win some good will with the fans & he was doing a good job at the time.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
No they hired him because fans wont turn on such a beloved figure.

The owners are buying time.

If it was purely about winning an experienced manager would have been brought in or a new and young an exciting manager.

I feel bad for Ole. He has nothing to work with and the footballing world knows we are utter shambles.

Top players will only join if we over pay big time.

I said in a different thread we should just bring back Fergie.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Nope. It's because our football decisions aren't planned and are just about panicking and giving fat contract to the good performer as if it's a knee jerker fan who is running the club not a competent CEO. A player plays a series of good matches and instantly gets a fat contract then his performance drops. Nothing different here.

It's normal for fans to knee jerk, all of us do all the time, but I don't expect a competent CEO running a big football club to not have a plan and just throwing fat contracts left, right and center because of a series of good results. I expect our CEO to have a more organized way in making decisions than us fans.

Yo, this is very good! This is what it is.

Skills

Snitch
Nah, they got duped over our honeymoon period form. It not only just shows how shite we were under Mourinho but also how poorly we are run as a club. We should have assessed things more carefully as I did during that period. I doubt if we had given Ole the job, he would be here next season. Since we have given it to him, we should just hope he somehow makes us competitive.
Hope won't solve it. Just start functioning like other, more pragmatic clubs.

Hire the correct sporting board, let them sort out our transfer business and give them the license to pull the trigger on Ole if it isn't working out at the start of next season.

The last thing we need is to die by another manager.

BlueHaze

I do genuinely believe Ed wanted Zidane and got turned down and I also think he wanted Poch but never wanted to pay the £40m to get him. In the end he took a hasty decision but there's not much we can do now is it? Just pray Ole doesn't spend the entire budget on crap and makes an already horrible situation even worse. It's crazy to think how vital this summer was for us and how bad it looks at the moment.

atkar83

I don't believe so. The last few months under Mourinho were so boring to watch, and before that the entire LVG regime was also a bore, so I'm assuming the thinking was to bring in someone with some 'Man United blood' to bring that energy and attack back to the squad. But the squad is so broken it just wasn't going to work this early on no matter who took the job.

Reddy Rederson

United has, under woodward, been run in the fashion of a school boy throwing wet paper towels at a wall to see if they stick. Theres no plan here beyond "feck it, youll do.". A dog in heat is more discerning about his choices than woody.

hobbers

Luring Pochettino here definitely seems a lot more farfetched right now than it did in February. Even if he has no money to spend this summer, Poch already has a squad who run through walls for him and who have qualified top four and got to a CL semi final on merit. Why the feck would he ever even consider jacking that in to come here? :lol:

I think Woodward was already doubtful on the chances of getting Poch this summer. And also doubtful about the sort of demands Zidane would be making on the club. Beyond those two there really weren't any stand out candidates.

But ultimately Woodward made the decision to hire Ole for the same reason he makes any decision, because it was the easiest choice and the one most encouraged by pundits and by the media. It also has the double benefit of lowering short term expectations, relying on fan sentiment to give Ole more leeway, and ensures a manager who won't ask for heaven and earth in the transfer window. Also no doubt a little to do with asset protection. Woodward seems to place a lot of value in keeping the "star names" like Pogba and Martial because he'll look even more inept if we keep cutting our losses on his marquee signings.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

This is it.

Even if Ed had put feelers out and no manager wanted us, there would still be no reason to jump the gun on Ole's appointment rather than sensibly waiting until the end of the season. It's not like he was going to go anywhere else.

Abizzz

There's not that many truly "top" managers around. Top managers are defined by trophies and the fact that many top leagues and even CL/EL were repeatedly won by the same managers reduces the options compared to say ~15 years ago.

izec

This is it.

Even if Ed had put feelers out and no manager wanted us, there would still be no reason to jump the gun on Ole's appointment rather than sensibly waiting until the end of the season. It's not like he was going to go anywhere else.
Can you imagine if he waited and no top manager would join us and Ole in recent form? Do you think we'd still have appointed Ole? Nah, i think Ed knew no top manager was coming here and he appointed Ole quickly as an easy solution when we were on the high. We would be looking for mangers now and Ed's favourites would t join, he hasnt got a clue who to hire next outside of Ole, Poch or Zidane. Ten Haag emerged now in recent weeks, flavour of the month now. Ed would try for him or Conte in panic mode

Un4givableB

OGS was appointed because it confirmed Woodward wishful thinking, that the problem with Utd was Jose's management, not the lack of quality players in the team. He's about to learn an expensive lesson.

Timothy Burns

I think an equally interesting question is would the results turn as quickly as they did if he hadn't been appointed at that point? Seems a bit like both him and the players thought 'well that's that then' after it.

Steven-UK

OGS was appointed because it confirmed Woodward wishful thinking, that the problem with Utd was Jose's management, not the lack of quality players in the team. He's about to learn an expensive lesson.
Really? This is probably the worst Manchester United team in terms of quality for the last 20+ years.

I know a few people who have already given up their season tickets for next year. I was tempted to give mine up after 10+ years, but decided to continue. £2K for 2 x season tickets to watch absolute sh*te.

Edit: I understand what your post meant now, the opposite of what I first read, apologies :-)

Flytan

Woodward thought he struck gold and knee jerked.
This.

Worst possible thing for United as a club was us winning games in the middle of the season. If we had just crawled to the end of the season we'd be in the same position with at least a positive outlook of having a new manager

Loublaze

ATLien
This. @el3mel I liked your response as well. We need more than a miracle to get back to the top

USREDEVIL

I think OP might be right.

Think about it a bit more. The whole plan was to have OGS as caretaker, then look around and make a future manager decision in the summer. A real thorough assessment. Surely dead Wood-ward put out some type of feelers to the big managers out there such as Zidane and Poch. If they both gave him positive responses, then it would make all the sense to wait until the summer, more analysis and thought and then make a decision. Even when Ole was doing great, that just means Ed has 3 options now. No need to rush as Ole aint going nowhere.

But if he got negative responses from Zidane and Poch, then what? If he waits until summer and our form goes back to shit then Ed looks a fool maybe for giving the job to Ole. But if he rushes to appoint Ole during the great run, who could question the decision at that time. Plenty of pundits and fans saying "give it to him NOW."

Just my thoughts anyways. Who knows what really went down.

Giggs86

Because Ed is a feral ghoul and lost any ability to reason, that's why.

Sterling Archer

Because Ed is a feral ghoul and lost any ability to reason, that's why.
It's like people are completely blind to all the hints over the last seven years. Nah, not hints, blatant fecking demonstrations of his being out of his depth. Most recently, "things change from day to day" from Phelan.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We've got the money to get a top manager here now...

If their lives literally depended upon it, the Glazers could get Pochettino here this Summer.

The wealth of the club, and the size of the club are fecking huge.

Loublaze

ATLien

If their lives literally depended upon it, the Glazers could get Pochettino here this Summer.

Maybe like someone else pointed out they decided to cheap out and didn't want to deal with Levy and the 40M payoff. Alternatively, its possible the club had targets who were interested but maybe didn't want to leave their current projects even if the money and lure of United was a temptation. It all may have come down to the project pitched to them not being enticing enough. Im pretty sure Woodword spoke to Zidane. Zidane was very coy about his visit to London in the midst of the rumors and speculation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think it is more of wanting to hire a coach that wouldn’t make any more waves, a coach that was comfortable under the United umbrella, a coach that would take a ‘no’ on certain transfers from higher-ups who were not football people & not lash out to the media.
I can’t help but think Woodward & the board doesn’t want another coach with potentially abrasive views or attitudes as another such coach, especially when correct about not being backed by the board, will only undermine his position & shine light on how inept Woodward & the board is. Call it narcissism, call it selfishness, call it whatever, but Woodward doesn’t want the boat rocked while he is in control even if the friction is for the best of the club.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's a poisoned chalice. We have owners who are not sure to back the manager - even someone as successful in the past as Jose. I think no, we hired Ole because his start was outstanding. We were playing much better but as soon as ole signed a contract coupled with Herrea dropping out and Pobga dropping deeper etc …

You can't please everyone. We have to learn our lesson and not be snobbish but at the same time not be 'cheap'. We need a number of players and if Ole don't get those players, who is to blame? If we hear talk of value, who is to blame? Ole? I doubt it. It falls on the owners who bought into success but don't know how to make success. They have to take the heat. It cant' always be the manager. Regardless of why it happened, Ole is our manager and we know how he wants the team to play - cause we seen it.....

Now we need the players. We need to allow Ole to create his team who can express them for 90 minutes week in week out - not when they feel like it.

Champagne Football

There's only 4 elite managers out there now who would be guaranteed good enough for Utd, and who play in an attacking way that would keep fans happy. They are all tied up at City, Liverpool, Spurs and Madrid.

The only realistic one on the list is obviously Pochettino, who seems to love living in London and working at Spurs, with no intention of moving.

So there's no point taking another punt on an Alegri when you consider how much Ancelloti and Sarri have struggled in the PL. Simeone would bore everyone to death.

So might as well bring in one of our own and have them mentored by Fergie and Phelan, if no other elite club manager suited to Utd is available.

Un4givableB

I really think that was the plan, do whatever it took to get Pochettino even if it meant paying 50m to get him. Because Pochettino would have a decent size budget, not City's but much bigger than Spurs and he has proved he can compete
on a budget, while playing attractive football.

But as said by Hawk 2008 'Woodward thought he struck gold and knee jerked.'

Pearl of Wisdom

Hope won't solve it. Just start functioning like other, more pragmatic clubs.

Hire the correct sporting board, let them sort out our transfer business and give them the license to pull the trigger on Ole if it isn't working out at the start of next season.

The last thing we need is to die by another manager.
Ive just said in another post that we should appoint Ole as director of football because he knows the club and the fans being one himself, as well as a club legend. (He could have a transfer committee under him)
I would appoint Ralph Hasslhutl as manager who can make shit teams play much much better in a short period of time. He looks like he has something about him and he loves a difficult challenge..perfect fit? (I think this is the guy that Spurs would replace Poch with if they lost him, so why not jump the que?)

Bojan11

There's only 4 elite managers out there now who would be guaranteed good enough for Utd, and who play in an attacking way that would keep fans happy. They are all tied up at City, Liverpool, Spurs and Madrid.

The only realistic one on the list is obviously Pochettino, who seems to love living in London and working at Spurs, with no intention of moving.

So there's no point taking another punt on an Alegri when you consider how much Ancelloti and Sarri have struggled in the PL. Simeone would bore everyone to death.

So might as well bring in one of our own and have them mentored by Fergie and Phelan, if no other elite club manager suited to Utd is available.
Ancelotti struggled?

I wouldn’t want Carlo now because I believe his methods are not what we need right now as he’s not a team builder. But that’s a silly statement. He ended our three years of winning it with Chelsea and came second the following season. How is that struggling?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So there's no point taking another punt on an Alegri when you consider how much Ancelloti and Sarri have struggled in the PL.
If by 'struggled' you mean 'managed to win the PL, and then finish 2nd in the PL while constantly keeping 1 eyebrow raised', then yes...

If by 'struggled' you mean struggled, then no.

Charles Miller

I suspect Ole was supposed to be just an interim manager. Because the board probably thought top 4 was impossible at that point. Then when the results were good in the first months someone made an emotional decision.

Canagel

Yes it's very worrying how much board allows fan emotion to affect their decisions making. They got caught up in the whole 'Oles at the wheel' and fans hysteria but like already mentioned the sensible was to wait for the end of the season.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

We can't just snap our fingers and get anyone we want, this goes for players and managers alike. We were in full meltdown in December (as we are now), so who in their right mind would abandon a better run club with a better squad to try and rescue this sinking ship? Its a massive task with the added discomfort of being under huge pressure and scrutiny, it's a poison chalice if i ever saw one

All we really can do now is back Ole (for now), cross our fingers and hope he knows what he is doing. As we entered April this year he had won 14/19 matches with us, so hopefully he can rediscover that mojo that landed him the job in the first place. If not, let's hope he can make some smart moves in the market this summer and lay some better foundations for the next manager. whoever that is.

Its been a miserable season so all we can really do now is look forward

Charlie Yu

After two top managers failing we may as well give time to Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.