Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unam333

I actually prefer Costa, but Onana is much cheaper, plus it's funny to see Porto not getting the fee they wanted.

Rake

Who fits Erik's style better?
Hmm, I did a fair bit of research on Onana but not so much on Costa(bar 5-6 games that I watched post WC). Both are supposed to have similar qualities but , to me at least, Onana seems like a much more composed player, especially in big games. That being said, Costa is younger, so his ceiling might be higher.

Last edited:

croadyman

Hmm, I did a fair bit research on Onana but not so much on Costa(bar 5-6 game that I watched post WC). Both are supposed to have similar qualities but , to me at least, Onana seems like a much more composed player, especially in big games. That being said, Costa is younger, so his ceiling mighty be higher.
Cheers for the information

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Hmm, I did a fair bit research on Onana but not so much on Costa(bar 5-6 game that I watched post WC). Both are supposed to have similar qualities but , to me at least, Onana seems like a much more composed player, especially in big games. That being said, Costa is younger, so his ceiling mighty be higher.
I get your point about the ceiling, and you may be right but Onana only just turned 27, VdS was almost 35 when he joined us, Smeichel 28. The age thing isn't a benefit to me at all in a goalie. If anything it feels like not being very young seems to result in a more confident and mature rock in the back. I just want who is most ready for prime time now.

Klean

Interesting. I wonder who'd we choose if prices are similar. What has been quoted so for Costa is 20-30 mil over the supposed Onana fee
I think the GK is the last piece of business for the summer.

If the other additions put us in "compete now" then I think we move for Onana because he is more ready-made. I believe Costa may have higher potential but it may take a season or two until we see his best.

Rake

It absolutely should not be. We are (supposedly) signing a keeper who should be proactive and pass from the back. That requires team cohesion and understanding. Otherwise we risk a start similar to last season and we can't afford that.

I get your point about the ceiling, and you may be right but Onana only just turned 27, VdS was almost 35 when he joined us, Smeichel 28. The age thing isn't a benefit to me at all in a goalie. If anything it feels like not being very young seems to result in a more confident and mature rock in the back. I just want who is most ready for prime time now.
Quite so. Keepers generally "peak" later in their careers and terms like "ceiling" are highly speculative anyway.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He isn’t that rated by Portuguese fans so I’ve eased up on him especially at his prices.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So they know he’s coming to England, they just don’t know where?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What kind of statement is that? :lol: He’s coming to the prem but no prem team have put in a bid for him?:lol: If he’s going for 50m the same price as Onana then we should be all over it

TheGodsInRed

Who fits Erik's style better?
Onana is the obvious choice as he had played for Ten Haag before.
Costa is more rounded than Onana, more like Alison probably, while good with his feet, but Onana is another level in that area. His long kicks are really accurate which has been more of Inter's style, but at Ajax he played short more, coming of his box to create different passing angles.

Costa is a better shot stopper but his world cup made me doubt his big game mentality (though he is young still). Onana couldn't care less who he is playing against, he just does his thing.

croadyman

Onana is the obvious choice as he had played for Ten Haag before.
Costa is more rounded than Onana, more like Alison probably, while good with his feet, but Onana is another level in that area. His long kicks are really accurate which has been more of Inter's style, but at Ajax he played short more, coming of his box to create different passing angles.

Costa is a better shot stopper but his world cup made me doubt his big game mentality (though he is young still). Onana couldn't care less who he is playing against, he just does his thing.
Yeah the big games mentality could be a real wildcard in the choice between the two

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What happened in the WC?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I was pretty sure we'd switch to Onana if he was available, but if Porto keep dropping their price, maybe he'd be better value.

DOTA

He looked shaky, but the blame he got for the Moroccan goal was a bit unfair. En-Nesyri's jump for that header was incredible.
He made a major rick in group game against Ghana towards the end iirc
Ta.

Just watched both of these and they don't worry me that much. The Inter keeper's vids terrify me, however.

Teja

That'll blow up in our face if DDG leaves on a free in a few days. Every club in Europe will know we're desperate.

croadyman

Ta.

Just watched both of these and they don't worry me that much. The Inter keeper's vids terrify me, however.
Personally I have concerns with either but both are significant style upgrades on DDG. Costa I have worries about his big game mentality but assured on crosses. Compare that to Onana who seems to love big occasion but worry about him on crosses. No doubt both of them distribute the ball superbly well so no issues on that.

DOTA

Personally I have concerns with either but both are significant style upgrades on DDG. Costa I have worries about his big game mentality but assured on crosses. Compare that to Onana who seems to love big occasion but worry about him on crosses. No doubt both of them distribute the ball superbly well so no issues on that.
Onana wandering off is my concern. He seems to have a thing for taking it round players who close him down that can result in him ending up miles out of position.

croadyman

Onana wandering off is my concern. He seems to have a thing for taking it round players who close him down that can result in him ending up miles out of position.
Yeah that is also a very valid concern

Status
Not open for further replies.