Dirk Gently's Holistic Television Series

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
So, apparantly, the BBC are going to do an hour-long special based on Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently mysteries. I presume that it'll be made into a series if it does well. Howard Overman, who did Misfits, which is a quality slice of television, is going to be writing it.

Yay or nay on this?

lynchie

Could be brilliant, or it could completely flop. I really enjoyed the books, but I have no idea if Overman will be able to write anything to match up to them.

Count Duckula

So, apparantly, the BBC are going to do an hour-long special based on Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently mysteries. I presume that it'll be made into a series if it does well. Howard Overman, who did Misfits, which is a quality slice of television, is going to be writing it.

Yay or nay on this?
What's this?! I feckin' loved Dirk Gently, but then again I loved Douglas Adams. The BBC have actually put out some pretty decent TV recently, and Misfits was great (although Channel 4) so this whets my appetite!

I suppose we'll have to see, though. I wonder if the humour will translate that well to screen - the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a radio play to begin with and yet was terrible in visual form (though admittedly that might be more to do with Disney getting their mits on it rather than any conversion failure).

The_Red_Hope

Sounds great. This has the potential to be completely brilliant or utter crap. Douglas Adams's humor is very difficult to translate to screen.

El B

When’s it due? Could be awesome or it could be terrible like the Hitchhikers film was. Then again I had high hopes for the BBC remake of the Day of the Triffids and that was awful.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What's this?! I feckin' loved Dirk Gently, but then again I loved Douglas Adams. The BBC have actually put out some pretty decent TV recently, and Misfits was great (although Channel 4) so this whets my appetite!

I suppose we'll have to see, though. I wonder if the humour will translate that well to screen - the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a radio play to begin with and yet was terrible in visual form (though admittedly that might be more to do with Disney getting their mits on it rather than any conversion failure).
I reckon casting Dirk is going to be tricky. Having the Misfits writer doing it is good since I really enjoyed that, and the key to the writing really is just making sure you don't spoil anything, since Adams has written all the brilliance already. But actually capturing the insanity that is Dirk is another matter entirely.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yay better then Hitch Hikers for me.

lynchie

I reckon casting Dirk is going to be tricky. Having the Misfits writer doing it is good since I really enjoyed that, and the key to the writing really is just making sure you don't spoil anything, since Adams has written all the brilliance already. But actually capturing the insanity that is Dirk is another matter entirely.
He's only got two books to go on though, so if he gets a series he's going to be writing his own original story lines, which could be utterly rubbish compared to the original books, perhaps.

Ubik

Oh, didn't see the thing about a series, just a special. Hmm.

That said, could you fit even one book into an hour?

Ubik

It's on this thursday, BBC4 at 9pm. Fingers crossed it's good and we get a series.

Gambit

I've watched all 3 episodes and enjoyed them.

prateik

There are 4. A pilot and a 3 episode series.
I'm downloading the thing now.
I think I saw the pilot when it had aired, but dont remember much.

Gambit

Annoyingly they're not making anymore. It was cancelled in March I think.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I watched the pilot and it was quite good. Wasn't aware they'd made any more of them.

prateik

It wasnt the best TV, but I watched all 4 episodes. I kinda liked it.

BBC America are remaking it.. Nothing like the books.. NOTHING.. other than the title and what it says.
There is a Dirk Gently. He is a holistic detective. That is it.

Anyone watching it?

Definitely liked Mangan more than the new guy.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I watched the pilot of the new one, can't go any further. This show's Dirk doesn't at all resemble the character from the books, he's basically Matt Smith's Doctor dialed up to eleven but with zero charm.

prateik

So.. the reviews have been surprisingly decent and it has been renewed for season 2..
Anyone watching? Thinking of giving it another shot.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm watching it, it's a bit meh. Reminds me of Utopia, but not as tense, more light-hearted and a little childish, despite all the blood
Haven't read the books or watched the previous series

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So, I haven't read the books. Would you recommend it as a series on the basis of someone not having read the books? In other words, is it a good and entertaining series? Just pretend you haven't actually read the books and just stumbled upon it.

I always end up hugely disappointed when I've read the book and watch the movie \ series, but since I haven't when it comes to Dirk Gently I wonder if it is worth a shot as a series in general?