Disaster in Mexico: Fan Riot in Querétaro vs. Atlas Leaves Multiple Casualties

RoyH1

Disgracefu scenes. This transcends football though. The shocking lack of capability of the Mexican authorities/police forces to stop any kind of violent acts is mind blowing.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
"Fortunately", most of the victims I've seen have seen in these videos are Barra Brava members, but given the panic and chaos I wouldn't doubt regular fans could have also been targeted. Also, I have not heard of female victims, which at least is a good thing.
From what I've read and a couple of videos on twitter it seems the security in the stadium were some women in pink shirts and some of them also got beaten.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Morbid curiosity had me watch pretty much every video last night. It makes you want to cry tbh. Mexico will try cover this up just like how 43 students 'disappeared' recently and totally weren't killed *wink wink*. They're already claiming that there was no deaths and just injuries but one video I saw had a guy folded over like a deck chair & so either his spine was a cheese-string or he was absolutely dead.
Are they seriously telling there wasn't anyone killed? Initially I read reports about 17 people deceased a couple of hours after the incident then more recently read something about 30. By the looks of the images and videos I can't believe there weren't any casualties...

MichaelRed

Are they seriously telling there wasn't anyone killed? Initially I read reports about 17 people deceased a couple of hours after the incident then more recently read something about 30. By the looks of the images and videos I can't believe there weren't any casualties...
Unofficial deaths. They're not being officially acknowledged. "Officially" There were no deaths and only injuries.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Since you are Mexican, I wanted to know one thing. Are these teams historic rivals like, Boca-River? What is the reason behind this horrific situation?
There’s a story on Marca that gives an explanation but I’m not posting the link because it includes recent videos.

Piece says

“The conflict between Querétaro and Atlas fans began in 2007. Los Gallos were fighting to avoid relegation and needed a win on the last day of the tournament. Their rival? Atlas.

The red-and-black team was not in danger of relegation, but defeat was not an option for them. On that April 29, the Jalisco stadium celebrated Nicolás Olivera's two goals that sent Queretaro to relegation.”

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Unofficial deaths. They're not being officially acknowledged. "Officially" There were no deaths and only injuries.
Wow, good luck trying to cover that with all the evidence and videos going online but still what a shady thing to do. This will likely make people more upset about the incident. I'm sure most of the people injured are going to be the ultra members but they still have families and it happened infront of thousands of people and millions are now watching the images online and they still decide to act like scumbags and pretend no one died.

BlueHaze

Seen around 10 horrific clips from this event cold blooded murder happening both inside and outside of the arena. Never seen anything like it at any sporting event ever. The brutality of it is absolutely atrocious. And the most fecked up thing is that there appeared to be no security involved in the entire process. Wish I didn't even click on this thread I still can't comprehend what I've just seen.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
World Cup 2026 is going to be interesting; I'd host the vast majority of matches in the USA-Canada areas...

Schneckerl

It seems to be a setup where the club had to be somehow involved. Atlas supporters couldn't bring anything into the stadium, while Queretaro fans showed up with guns and ice picks. The police didn't intervene.

The government and media are trying to cover it up, reporting no deaths. AP and BBC are running with the "official" numbers too. Honestly, that's a disgrace, and Mexico should be revoked the right to host any World Cup games in 2026.

RoyH1

It seems to be a setup where the club had to be somehow involved. Atlas supporters couldn't bring anything into the stadium, while Queretaro fans showed up with guns and ice picks. The police didn't intervene.

The government and media are trying to cover it up, reporting no deaths. AP and BBC are running with the "official" numbers too. Honestly, that's a disgrace, and Mexico should be revoked the right to host any World Cup games in 2026.
Why are you so sure there is a cover up? The AP is a serious news organisation and if they have reason to suspect the numbers given, they will report on it.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Why are you so sure there is a cover up? The AP is a serious news organisation and if they have reason to suspect the numbers given, they will report on it.
There is nothing to "suspect", the video evidence (that you absolutely shouldn't look up) is everywhere and self-explanatory.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
There is nothing to "suspect", the video evidence (that you absolutely shouldn't look up) is everywhere and self-explanatory.
I agree that video evidence shows people likely to be dead. But what I will say is not because I trust the authorities report or I don’t think they are not lying.
It’s been 3 days and I haven’t seen any family nor relatives contradicting the numbers. If someone had been killed, be sure that relatives would already be on the news neglecting it.

Oldyella

Well that's a twitter hole I wish I had never gone down. Absolutely barbaric.

Withnail

Absolutely shocking that so many could be killed like this. I won't be watching any videos though. I'm grimmed out enough already with everything else going on.

RIP

kredik

Looks like they might be kicked out of the league and "sold" to a division 2 team to take their place....

RoyH1

I agree that video evidence shows people likely to be dead. But what I will say is not because I trust the authorities report or I don’t think they are not lying.
It’s been 3 days and I haven’t seen any family nor relatives contradicting the numbers. If someone had been killed, be sure that relatives would already be on the news neglecting it.
That's what I was thinking too. The images are barbaric and would indicate that some of those people should have died, but no way the local government has the capability of covering this up if there are people dead already (one guy lost an eye). This is not an efficient police state, quite the contrary. If a family lost someone, it'd be known.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't trust those reports either but you're right about people becoming more vocal about it if they're lying, there's a lot of video evidence and is a huge thing to try to cover up. Still I wouldn't trust mexican authorities, there's a video showing a police unlocking a door in order to let the Queretaro hooligans beat the Atlas fans.

At the very least they're trying to cover up as much as possible from the media and reporters.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
What does ‘sold’ mean exactly?
It's a ridiculous and infamous tactic that Clubs in Mexico do to avoid relegation/administrative problems. The owners either "sell" the club to another owner, change name and years later come back (eg Veracruz in the 2010s) or "buy" a second division club that just won promotion to "avoid" relegation (Puebla with Leon and Curtidores in early 2000s)-

I really wish this problem gets the punishment deserves, but I'm asking too much.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
They are incompetent and clueless AF. I can see them giving Queretaro a 3 closed stadium sanction and to pay a penalty and that’s it.

What I find very strange is that there was absolutely no security staff. No police. These fans have had history of clashing between them for almost a decade and I remember that about 5 years another clash had happened. Didn’t anybody from security expected this? Where the hell are the protocols before match?
So my prediction wasn't so far from reality.

- Mexican FA dismissed Queretaro's Board. Won't be able to do any business with mexican football.
- Queretaro's stadium will be banned for the remainder of this year and next year.
- Queretaro's Ultra group is dismissed for 2 years. All fans will require an ID to enter.
- Atlas Ultra group won't be able to attend away matched for 2 years.
- So far 20 criminal charges have been filled. Lots of injuries and no official deaths.
- A complaint against the security company was filled.

This is my opinion: Where the friggin hell are FIFA? They impose sanctions and penalties, threat to dismiss from World Cup 2022 and to host WC2026 for a ridiculous homophobic scream but don't even give an official announcement regarding fans stabbing to death other fans inside a stadium? Is Mexican FA OK with still allowing Ultra/Barra Brava groups just because "nobody" was killed?

What are they gonna do when somebody does get killed? When a woman gets raped in a match... This is just as worst as Heysel and Mexico should front sanctions as dire as in that time.

Reactions: mazhar13

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So my prediction wasn't so far from reality.

- Mexican FA dismissed Queretaro's Board. Won't be able to do any business with mexican football.
- Queretaro's stadium will be banned for the remainder of this year and next year.
- Queretaro's Ultra group is dismissed for 2 years. All fans will require an ID to enter.
- Atlas Ultra group won't be able to attend away matched for 2 years.
- So far 20 criminal charges have been filled. Lots of injuries and no official deaths.
- A complaint against the security company was filled.

This is my opinion: Where the friggin hell are FIFA? They impose sanctions and penalties, threat to dismiss from World Cup 2022 and to host WC2026 for a ridiculous homophobic scream but don't even give an official announcement regarding fans stabbing to death other fans inside a stadium? Is Mexican FA OK with still allowing Ultra/Barra Brava groups just because "nobody" was killed?

What are they gonna do when somebody does get killed? When a woman gets raped in a match... This is just as worst as Heysel and Mexico should front sanctions as dire as in that time.
I wonder if Queretaro's ultras ban overlaps with the stadium ban. If so, then they sort of get away with it. The punishment, overall, should be harsher. This should result in a lifetime ban for the ultras, IMO.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I wonder if Queretaro's ultras ban overlaps with the stadium ban. If so, then they sort of get away with it. The punishment, overall, should be harsher. This should result in a lifetime ban for the ultras, IMO.
I read something about the authorities not addressing the ultras at all, just sanctioning Queretaro board and then pretend ultras aren't a thing in Mexico. That it's just baffling.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I read something about the authorities not addressing the ultras at all, just sanctioning Queretaro board and then pretend ultras aren't a thing in Mexico. That it's just baffling.
If they're going in that direction, then I'm incredibly worried about the state of Mexican football. At some point, the ultras need to be directly addressed; they can't be let loose in this manner.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
That's not what happened, well not exactly like that. The complaints were because the authorities refused to call them ultras, or barras as they are known in mexico. They referred to them as "animation groups". But they did ban the "animation groups" to enter other teams stadiums. Supposedly there will not be visitor barras at any stadium from now on, let's see how long that lasts.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
That's not what happened, well not exactly like that. The complaints were because the authorities refused to call them ultras, or barras as they are known in mexico. They referred to them as "animation groups". But they did ban the "animation groups" to enter other teams stadiums. Supposedly there will not be visitor barras at any stadium from now on, let's see how long that lasts.
Well, if that's the case that's still a very stupid measure. They should ban this 'animation groups' altogether, not just for away games, the problem with ultras, hooligans or barras is that they're more like gangsters and are funded by the teams itself. They're not regular fans, or random persons fighting sporadically, as there's likely an intellectual responsible for their attacks an the incident in Queretaro stadium. So they need to be addressed directly and have them dismantled from every stadium.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Well, if that's the case that's still a very stupid measure. They should ban this 'animation groups' altogether, not just for away games, the problem with ultras, hooligans or barras is that they're more like gangsters and are funded by the teams itself. They're not regular fans, or random persons fighting sporadically, as there's likely an intellectual responsible for their attacks an the incident in Queretaro stadium. So they need to be addressed directly and have them dismantled from every stadium.
Or better yet, punish the authorities for not doing their job in guaranteeing the security, this includes the local government, the private security firm hired, the club itself, etc. If clubs are funding some of these groups, punish that also. ID all the fanbase so it is easier to identify them. Punish the "barra" or non barra members doing illegal stuff. Not every barra is violent and not everyone in the barras is like "gangsters" as you describe. A lot of them, in fact, I will say most of them, are there just to sing and support the club. Banning everyone and putting all of them in the same basket is just a way to hide the corruption and incompetence of the authorities. In this recent case it seems that there is something well beyond just a fight between barras. There are videos of security helping the Queretaro fanbase reach the Atlas fanbase, people from one team with weapons inside the stadium while the other fanbase was thoroughly checked, etc.

There have been other incidents, way minor that this one of course, where there is clear evidence in video of people fighting and provoking, and at the next game that same people is again at the stadium. Whose fault is that? Again, if the authorities were not as corrupt and incompetent, these people should be identified and banned one by one, and not wait until something as big as this happens to pretend they care and go for the easy solution that is to ban everyone because all the barras are criminals.