Disrespectful and Selfish (updated: Oops)

Sterling Archer

Ive spent too much time in this thread. Enjoy the attention.
You think it feels good to be called names left and right and having my love for United questioned simply for putting my opinion out there that the squad selection was self indulgent and disrespectful?

Fool. Outed. Clown. Do one. Idiot.

That's what I am apparently. Even if I had just been pissed off at United losing yet another match , how is any of that acceptable? The forum has become such a vitriolic and intolerant place.

SteveW

You think it feels good to be called names left and right and having my love for United questioned simply for putting my opinion out there that the squad selection was self indulgent and disrespectful?

That's what I am apparently. Even if I had just been pissed off at United losing yet another match , how is any of that acceptable? The forum has become such a vitriolic and intolerant place.
What's that got to do with me?

I haven't called you names. I just think your thread is bizarre.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I am completely Ole out, but today's result isn't on him. In fact i agree with him. I was very brave of him. Send the right message to the squad. Send the right message to any young stars that wants to join us. It would have been a masterstroke if Chong finished his tap in.
Disliking the manager is one thing, but finding faults over every minute things is completely another.
I understand its not a very desirable result, but we are still in the competition. Its all good. Cheers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is a middle ground between resting a few players and leaving behind 20 players in the first team squad but the game didn't matter that much really but however, you can't underestimate how good it does for a team to win games.
You can’t underestimate the fatigue too. This is a big trip and a midweek game.

If this game was near by clubs then yeah, few could have played but going by where the game was and the weather in that location, leaving them behind was the right decision. We will play many games from now on, when you get opportunity to rest first team it’s good to rest them.

Sterling Archer

What's that got to do with me?

I haven't called you names. I just think your thread is bizarre.
Just pointing out the attention here is nothing pleasant or desirable. It's not a look at me thread. It's a contrary , out there opinion thread. I'd spend more time talking to my friends about it in person but United is irrelevant with them and much of the footballing world these days

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What on Earth was Ole thinking? We haven't sealed top spot in the group. We have a miserable record as a whole and duly in need of thrashing a side to get some confidence. We have senior players that are still with us direly needing minutes and freshness. Heck, we need just a solid all around competent performance for 90 minutes. And he decides to leave the team at home and play the academy side.

I really tried to focus on the positive around fielding all those academy boys and indeed a few of them played quite well. But the fact is that traveling team, that lineup were incredibly disrespectful of Manchester United, the traveling fans, the Europa League and Astana.

So mission accomplished:
Ole gets his name in the books - most academy debuts in a European game in a single outing. And great excuse for losing another game. Woo hoo.

I can't credit any of the good play today to anyone but Butt. The senior players showed themselves to be more poorly coached. And the manager must think running this club is like some video game where you can skip and Sim games moving on to the important ones you actually want to play.
This is a perfect example of a hater or someone who already make up his mind to go against the manager. They will find a way to criticise the manager even if the manager did the right thing, find a way to make excuses that doesn’t make sense to suit their agenda which we can also call it as disrespectful & selfish too.

The aim of the manager & the club right now is rebuilding process. Improving players, giving young & youth players minutes & chances to develop & learn.

To begin with, the fans were expecting Europa League was meant for us to give the youth chances and this is the perfect chance to do it especially when we have qualified and beside we will have three tough fixtures in one week next which we need to rest our first team players and ensure they can stay away from injury as well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's not disrespectful nor selfish, We have such a small number of first teamers and We didn't need to win that game.

I'd be pissed if He's being stubborn and risked Rashford, James, Martial. We have lots of games coming up within the space of few days, this was a correct decision.

Siorac

:lol:
Are you on a wind up?
I still think so. Advocating for playing Matic and Young should have given it away but people keep biting. There was also the 'we could have tried Jones at DM' line. No way he is serious about that
We were winning league titles and reaching CL finals back then. We were too big for the league cup. Right now we're neither in the CL nor challenging for the league. Until we start competing for the PL/CL again we can't afford to take the domestic cup competitions lightly.
I am more than happy to ignore the League Cup, regardless of our circumstances. It's a competition that really should be abolished.

Eric's Seagull

I am more than happy to ignore the League Cup, regardless of our circumstances. It's a competition that really should be abolished.
I don't agree although I don't think much about the League Cup. I wouldn't think about abolishing it as it a way for some teams to get into Europe who may struggle to qualify other ways. A positive I can see for the League Cup is to a team who is challenging for League is that it can give them a boost at a time in the season where they may need it and push them on to to do better in the League.

jackal&hyde

You are calling the manager selfish and dissrespectfull of the club in a game where he gave first team opportunities to kids in a dead rubber game; one that we were super unlucky to lose btw. What happened is the complete opposite of that; he took the risk of a "humiliating" defeat in order to do what is in the best interest of the club, both short term and long term. Could have very easily played a full team, get a win, stat pad, have the players tired for the PL game and then blame a lack of squad depth.

You don't deserve to be called those names, but you are talking nonsense and are not seeing the bigger picture.

The White Pele

Ole was absolutely right to field a young team in this game. We have an extremely thin squad so a lot of the first team players needed a rest. We also need a couple of youngsters to break through to help resolve the issues in the squad so giving a handful their debuts can only be a good thing. We very rarely have the luxury of a game that has nothing riding on the result so I fully support Ole taking this opportunity.

Eleven-Eighteen

I don't think it was as big a deal, and we needed to give the first team a rest. Our depth is piss poor right now

Eric's Seagull

You are calling the manager selfish and dissrespectfull of the club in a game where he gave first team opportunities to kids in a dead rubber game; one that we were super unlucky to lose btw. What happened is the complete opposite of that; he took the risk of a "humiliating" defeat in order to do what is in the best interest of the club, both short term and long term. Could have very easily played a full team, get a win, stat pad, have the players tired for the PL game and then blame a lack of squad depth.

You don't deserve to be called those names, but you are talking nonsense and are not seeing the bigger picture.
I agree with what you say. People are going to moan that he doesn't give the youngsters a chance, then when he does give them a chance people are still going to moan. Some people it is very hard to please and some of them would be moaning if he played a first-teamer and they got injured and say why did we play them and risk injury when we are going to qualify from the group anyway.

I think it took some balls from Ole to field all the young players and I respect him for doing so. These players are only going to get better by getting minutes on the pitch. Although it must have hurt them to loose it is a valuable learning curve and hopefully it will be good for their development and aid them in fulfulling their potential and hopefully becoming first team players on a regular basis in the future.

I agree that we were unlucky to lose but I am not going to use Chong's miss against him because even the best players miss seemingly easy chances.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You don't see the irony in fans traveling that far but the team not ?

My expectation wasn't a full senior team. But I really felt the likes of Rojo, Matic Young and Mata could use more minutes. Would have been a great game to try Jones at DM..
Who are you trying to reach with that? You'll see plenty of Ole out guys these days but I don't think you'll bring em along with this sort of nonsense. We all want to see youngsters get a chance, and they did get to play because we have a bunch of exiting talents at this moment in time and most of our old guys are done. If you are too negative, why don't you focus on what got you into football and go follow the youth team for a while until you get your love back. This thread is ridiculous.

I mean... It's like you wanted him to not stick to his principles and rather hoped he would get the fans angry, like are you afraid if he turns people around so he wont get fired? But see, even if you justify your madness here with this belief that Ole not managing is best for the club longterm, it wont make you stop becoming delusional if you keep this up. No offence intended, take it as the friendly response that it is.

Judas

Open to offers
Threads like this make me think people should have to wait 15 minutes after a game finishes before being allowed to make threads, so much absolute shite gets posted in anger right after the final whistle. With a bit more time to calm down people might be a bit more rational.

Staggeringly OP seems to stick by his view, so it wouldn't solve everything.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's like city winning the league with 3 games to spare and start fielding 11 u17 academy players for the sake of breaking the records.
What we did is more embarrassing, because we didn't win the league and fielded only 9 youngsters. It is important to grasp the difference. Infinitely more embarrassing to be a United-fan after fielding youngsters and not even an imaginary City team filled with youngsters breaking records, winning the league could top that embarrassment.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Threads like this make me think people should have to wait 15 minutes after a game finishes before being allowed to make threads, so much absolute shite gets posted in anger right after the final whistle. With a bit more time to calm down people might be a bit more rational.

Staggeringly OP seems to stick by his view, so it wouldn't solve everything.
Nooo don't. I like seeing people getting pissed off over something silly. Angry people = funny people, let them be.

LucasXXII

Players and staff must've been briefed not to read too much into this game, or they must've known enough not to themselves.

It's a 10000km trip, an artificial pitch and a whole team of youngsters fielded. Win or lose, it's not a big deal. Out of all the question marks over OGS's tenure, picking on him for this seems daft.

SambaBoy

It was the right decision. If he had played a full squad, he would have got massive amounts of stick on here.

Teams always struggle on the weekend after an Europa League game. Even more so, when playing away from home, compounded further by the fact it was in Kazakhstan as opposed to nearby France/Netherlands etc.

It was an artificial pitch which is a recipe for disaster in terms of injuries and recovery. Risking the likes of Rashford/James/Martial on a pitch like that for a thursday night game in which we have already qualified would have been silly.

These players have already played lots of football this season, due to our small squad. We have barely been able to rest some of our players, even in the Carabao Cup or EL.

Some of the players who started needed minutes as well to help with fitness such as Lingard and Shaw. The likes of Greenwood, Chong, Axel and Gomes have been in and around the first team and deserved a start. It's a good test for these kids, putting them into a 'tough' away game and see how they fare.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It was the right decision. If he had played a full squad, he would have got massive amounts of stick on here.

Teams always struggle on the weekend after an Europa League game. Even more so, when playing away from home, compounded further by the fact it was in Kazakhstan as opposed to nearby France/Netherlands etc.

It was an artificial pitch which is a recipe for disaster in terms of injuries and recovery. Risking the likes of Rashford/James/Martial on a pitch like that for a thursday night game in which we have already qualified would have been silly.

These players have already played lots of football this season, due to our small squad. We have barely been able to rest some of our players, even in the Carabao Cup or EL.

Some of the players who started needed minutes as well to help with fitness such as Lingard and Shaw. The likes of Greenwood, Chong, Axel and Gomes have been in and around the first team and deserved a start. It's a good test for these kids, putting them into a 'tough' away game and see how they fare.
Yes. It was logical. I don't blame him for doing that. I want him to do that.

But dont pretend like he does it for the sakes of youth, as if it's a noble cause of giving them a debut. It's not.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Maybe not, but understandable given the shite we have to read every day by posters like him who rather than wanting to support the team when they're down would prefer to be negative, critising every decision and every player. It's tiresome.

I'm just happy to see that this thread is getting blasted. There's hope.

jackal&hyde

Maybe not, but understandable given the shite we have to read every day by posters like him who rather than wanting to support the team when they're down would prefer to be negative, critising every decision and every player. It's tiresome.

I'm just happy to see that this thread is getting blasted. There's hope.
I agree with you. Some have made their minds up and will paint everything in to a negative, little you can do about that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
When was the last time a top manager did something like this? Just curious. Usually it's a much bigger mix of senior and youth.

If the rest of season is anything to go by, dropping points is a real concern either way.
When was the last time a top manager was in charge of a squad so thin in numbers?

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I think we could have played a bit stronger squad. We have quite a few fringe players who barely get any game time like Mata, they should have definitely played against Astana IMO. Finishing top of the group is important for us to avoid 2 extra games and now after losing this game we add ourselves unnecessary pressure not only for the next EL game but for the one against Aston Villa as well as there will simply be no excuses if we drop points.
In fairness, if the players are not going to be able to cope with the "unnecessary pressure" in a game at OT against a team like AZ where they only need a point to top the group, or against Aston Villa then they are clearly not good enough for Utd long term!
When was the last time a top manager did something like this? Just curious. Usually it's a much bigger mix of senior and youth.

If the rest of season is anything to go by, dropping points is a real concern either way.
I kind of get where you are coming from, but the squad is so short in depth and so called squad players just are not good enough to be at Utd. This was a great opportunity to see what some of the youth can do in a semi-proper game. From what I saw in the match there are a couple of lads who are ready for more minutes in first team games and wouldn't be any worse than some of the "squad players". With a first team that is depleted of any real quality bar 3-4 players this was a great exercise to see the kids in action. Good call and brave from Ole. He should be applauded.

Sterling Archer

Who are you trying to reach with that? You'll see plenty of Ole out guys these days but I don't think you'll bring em along with this sort of nonsense. We all want to see youngsters get a chance, and they did get to play because we have a bunch of exiting talents at this moment in time and most of our old guys are done. If you are too negative, why don't you focus on what got you into football and go follow the youth team for a while until you get your love back. This thread is ridiculous.

I mean... It's like you wanted him to not stick to his principles and rather hoped he would get the fans angry, like are you afraid if he turns people around so he wont get fired? But see, even if you justify your madness here with this belief that Ole not managing is best for the club longterm, it wont make you stop becoming delusional if you keep this up. No offence intended, take it as the friendly response that it is.
Sounds like you're advising me to pick my battles better. You're right there.

Sterling Archer

I'm also categorically wrong with everything in the original post. Eight of the starting eleven are officially first team players. Strangely not a single person pointed that out.