"Disrespecting the FA Cup"

gaffs

If anything the FA disrespected the club and it's fans. Sunday afternoon kickoff in London for 2 northern teams, the FA couldn't give a shite about fans.

The team we put out were perfectly capable of winning that match.
It was crap having it on the sunday.

But im afraid that football scheduling is now dictated by TV.

The clubs are more than happy to take the TV money and seem to be more concerned with the time between fixtures than the fans.

gaffs

Simple response - It's the FA who are behind the lack of respect for the cup. They do their best to devalue it, first getting rid of replays, then moving the semis to Wembley.
I bet the FA would be very happy to have replays back - more income.

Its the big 4 who dont want them.

red2deadboy

I always thought utopia would be the young emerging players competing in a few league games, and formulating main body of the FA & Carling Cup teams. The 1st team player’s competing in the premier and champion league.

SteM

I agree.

If we get knocked out to Arsenal in the CL and end up losing out to Liverpool in the league (heaven forbid), then we may wish we were in an FA Cup Final.

After all, we owe Chelsea one for beating us in the final a couple of years back.
To be honest, if we loose the league to the dippers this year then the FA cup would be little consolation to me :mad:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Do we have a fixture pile up?

We only have one more game than Chelsea.
We've now got weekend midweek games coming up. It's tough for them too obviously (chelsea etc), it's not that we're the only ones with this sort of schedule - but we won't get much of a chance to rest the rooneys of this world from now on in

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So why not play the kids all the way through then?

Look at the lineup V Fulham in the QF.....

Van der Sar ,O'Shea (Eckersley ,52),Ferdinand (Evans ,45) ,Vidic ,Evra, Fletcher ,Carrick, Anderson, Park, Rooney (Welbeck ,64) ,Tevez

Plus, that was 4 days before the Inter game!!!
at that stage we didn't looked jaded

gaffs

We've now got weekend midweek games coming up. It's tough for them too obviously (chelsea etc), it's not that we're the only ones with this sort of schedule - but we won't get much of a chance to rest the rooneys of this world from now on in
Its always going to be the case when you get to a CL Semi and at the start season, thats our target.

To me, it seems like Fergie tried to scape into the FA Cup final and it backfired.

Great, we rested some of our squad, but other important players had to play 120 mins.... Tevez, Anderson, Vidic and then Rafeal and Rio who has just returned from injurys.

Merman

I hope SAF comes out and says that he deliberately fielded a weakened team just to piss off everybody.

fatboy

Definitely no disrespect to the Cup. I think Fergie picked a winning team. He played his first choice defensive pairing that was going to stop Everton from getting a goal, and hence a giving us good chance of winning it. He was counting on Rio and Vidic to keep us in the game while the rest of the inexperienced team tried to get to grips with the occasion, and it so nearly worked.

What the team lacked in experience, they made up for with fitness and speed. And this nearly paid off as we were clearly finishing more strongly when the Everton players started to tire. I'm not sure our regular starting players could have done much better considering they'd just played an energy-sapping must-win European tie a couple of days ago.

MG

I think Fergie said beforehand in an interview that he just can't keep playing his strongest side. We've been playing so many games this season Tuesday-Saturday, Wednesday-Sunday etc that we just can't keep putting the same players out.

Yes, we played a slightly weaker side, but it was still definitely capable of winning. We had Rio and Vidic on, and Tevez is supposed to be a £30million+ striker. The youngsters are also very good. We can't keep playing Rooney and Ronaldo twice a week because it will take it out of them, and Giggs can't play more than once a week and he played in midweek against Porto.

Fergie did place the FA Cup below the CL and Premier League, but that's only because we're in the semi-finals of the CL and so close in the league with our bitterest rivals right behind us. He still placed the cup in great importance, just had to rest players because of the amount of games they've played.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The squad did great. The FA Cup is about excitement and not necessarily the best teams winning matches.

Anyone that wasn't impressed by the ability of United's teenagers yesterday is mentally suspect.

Sir A1ex

To be honest, if we loose the league to the dippers this year then the FA cup would be little consolation to me :mad:
If we loose the league to the dippers this year, A roll-over lottery win and a nightly gob-job off Scarlett Johansson for life would be little consolation to me .

If we had been soundly beaten by Everton yesterday then some may have a case for saying we disrespected the competition. But Sir Alex sent out a team that he thought was good enough to win the match. Most of them were inexperienced but talented youngsters and they did the club proud. Our side dominated the game against a full strength Everton team who are flying high in the Premier League table.

If we had been more clinical up front or the ref had made the right decision then the outcome could have been different. But I was very impressed by the professionalism shown by our team. These players are proving that they have got the temperament for the big games and can have a future at this club. We have been told repeatedly that winning all 5 trophies was almost impossible and we found that out the hard way.

You need a strong squad, good performances and an element of luck to succeed. Luck was not with us this time with the ignored penalty appeal and the outcome of the shootout. We still have 2 other trophies to play for so we shouldnt lose faith now.

Smith's Cove

Anderson mate, supporters of some teams have nothing to shout about when it comes to supporting their own teams and their only pleasure, when it comes to football, is hating United and hoping we lose football matches, and for some reason that I completely fail to understand United losing makes up for their team not winning anything. This eventually manifests itself into a pathological hatred of anything to do with United so that, in their eyes, anything the club does is worthy of criticism.

An example of this is a Bristol City fan I know that went to watch the United vs Porto game in the pub where I was watching it. He was more animated than I was during the game, off his chair, calling Hulk "son" and generally acting like a complete twat. When Tevez scored to put us in front near the end he stormed off out in a huff. Yes, a Bristol City supporter watching a Manchester United game in a bar in a foreign country got so wound up about United going ahead in a home European Cup tie he left the bar in a huff. I am sure that once he got back to his office and checked the scores later that it would have cheered him up to see that Porto had grabbed the equalizer. But the watching the mard fecker lose it when Tevez scored made my fecking day. I was watching the game with a Wolves fan and as the guy left he turned to me and said "at least it got rid of that cnut". He incidently came into the same bar for the last 15 minutes of the second leg and it was funny seeing the fecker squirm again.

ABU's mate, there is nothing you can do about them except laugh. If it wasn't us devaluing the competition it would be something else. Just congratulate them on having something to moan about and think how funny it will be watching the feckers getting bent out of shape if we win the league or European Cup.

MiamiSpartan

The FA disrespected the FA Cup in the worst way by not allowing the HOLDERS of the cup to compete in the competition in 99-00. As was mentioned earlier, they further disrespected the FA Cup by having the Semi-finals played at Wembley. And they're even taking the disrespect a step further this year by having the final played AFTER the CL final.

So even if Fergie's team selection WAS intended as a disrespect of the FA Cup (and I don't think it was), I would applaud it as a big feck You to the FA for all their bullshit.

I fecking dare the FA to come out and make such a complaint and let Fergie tear into them.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
SAF played the only team he could play. To play 'the strongest team' each time will mean that your 'strongest' team will be so knackered when it really matters, that they will get battered.

If you want to know why the 'kids' were played look ahead at the next three matches.

MUFCgal

Anderson mate, supporters of some teams have nothing to shout about when it comes to supporting their own teams and their only pleasure, when it comes to football, is hating United and hoping we lose football matches, and for some reason that I completely fail to understand United losing makes up for their team not winning anything. This eventually manifests itself into a pathological hatred of anything to do with United so that, in their eyes, anything the club does is worthy of criticism.

An example of this is a Bristol City fan I know that went to watch the United vs Porto game in the pub where I was watching it. He was more animated than I was during the game, off his chair, calling Hulk "son" and generally acting like a complete twat. When Tevez scored to put us in front near the end he stormed off out in a huff. Yes, a Bristol City supporter watching a Manchester United game in a bar in a foreign country got so wound up about United going ahead in a home European Cup tie he left the bar in a huff. I am sure that once he got back to his office and checked the scores later that it would have cheered him up to see that Porto had grabbed the equalizer. But the watching the mard fecker lose it when Tevez scored made my fecking day. I was watching the game with a Wolves fan and as the guy left he turned to me and said "at least it got rid of that cnut". He incidently came into the same bar for the last 15 minutes of the second leg and it was funny seeing the fecker squirm again.

ABU's mate, there is nothing you can do about them except laugh. If it wasn't us devaluing the competition it would be something else. Just congratulate them on having something to moan about and think how funny it will be watching the feckers getting bent out of shape if we win the league or European Cup.
Absolute quality post. It's so true. Fair enough the likes of Pool, Chavs or Arse supporters don't like us, neither do Shitty but it's the ABU's out there who support completely different teams leagues below ours or maybe from another country (such as Scotland) but for some strange reason they just hate Man Utd even though they support teams who've nothing to do with them, who aren't rivals with United. I have a boss here who's a Rangers fanatic but yet he absolutely detests Manchester United. I asked him why and he just said 'because they're Man Utd, everybody hates them' :rolleyes:

It's gotten to the point now with a lot of these people that seeing Man Utd fail ultimately makes up for their own team's failures as seeing Man Utd lose out on anything makes them feel better somewhat. It's bizarre really.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
As I see it ,anyone suggesting that Fergie is disrespecting the FA by playing the youngsters is disrespecting the youngsters by suggesting that they aren't good enough to play for Uniteds first team when they so very clearly are!

What would they have said had we won with them?
Excellent post...

The youngin's did the club proud, no doubt about it.

Sir A1ex

It's gotten to the point now with a lot of these people that seeing Man Utd fail ultimately makes up for their own team's failures as seeing Man Utd lose out on anything makes them feel better somewhat. It's bizarre really.
This. Is. How. It. Feels. To. Be. City.

I know loads of "City fans" that didn't even go along for a fiver the other day, but will send abusive text messages as soon as we concede a goal!

To be fair, at least a pathological bitter envy of United is part of City's heritage. The ones that really make me laugh are the one's like your Bristol "buddy".
If you ask them, they will say one of the main things they hate about united is all the OOT fans jumping on the bandwagon, but the irony of the fact that that is exactly what they are doing is totally lost on them. There's no bigger plastic fan than the one who claims to support some random league 2 club, but is more likely to spend there time cheering goals against United...

thoward

It's not a lisp!
The thing about the hatred of United by some can be seen in the Fergie-Benitez rivalry of recent times. Benitez had his major rant in January, other moans since and yet you had people in the media saying well done for having a go at Fergie. Whereas Fergie had a pop the other day and he gets slaughtered. People harp back to things Fergie has done in the past, criticise him etc. But they say nothing about Benitez and the fact that he continually moans about not having enough money, his run ins with other managers etc.

I remember recently that Fulham got heavily criticised in the media (and other teams in the past when they've been hammered by United) for not trying against United. Yet when Liverpool hammered the likes of Madrid and Villa they weren't saying these teams weren't trying.

Drifter

American
Ian Wright sticking up for United on talk bollocks.Adrian Durham wants us kicked out of the competition.:smirk:

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.

That's strange as most matches last an hour and a huff. (sorry for that.)

I have known Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Coventry etc. fans all join in having a go at United. The Portsmouth one even claiming to be so proud to be an ABU. It's actually bullying - as someone else, in this thread, was told by a Rangers fan "I hate United because everyone hates United". That's the mark of a bully.

Excellent post btw.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Dont have time to read the other submissions, so sorry if already covered....

If anyone should be slated for disrespecting/devaluing the FA Cup its the FA themselves

Firstly, for playing the semi's at Wembley (which is a greedy money making scheme by them anyway)

and secondly, for not even putting a decent feckin bit of turf on it.

Scandalous ! :annoyed:

kietotheworld

Ian Wright sticking up for United on talk bollocks.Adrian Durham wants us kicked out of the competition.:smirk:
Some idiot phoned in and said that this morning, Durham is just an eloquent man parroting outrageous opinions he's head during the day.

ludvik

War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left.
Would anyone in their right minds risk losing crucial PL-points in the closing stages, or even drop out of the CL at the end of the season for a "granted" FA cup-progression? No. Not if you have a brain. Accusations come thick and fast now; it is that time of the year you know.

henno

Thats not really the point.

Everton may not have as many "Internationals", but they have a strong unit who play together every week.

We put out a team that, compared to Everton, are largely unfamiliar with each other.

I think that has been one of our problems over the last couple of months. Our team seams to change quite significantly every game. Its maybe a necessary evil when your fighting on every front, but it does not help with continuity and maintaining a good level of play. Its perhaps a reason as to why Berbatov has not settled.
sorry, i dont really buy that for a second...

they have a unit that plays together week in week out because they have a small squad decimated by injuries....

you cant say our team are 'unfamiliar' with each other when they play reserve games together... thats a non-argument...

your last point about priorities is exactly correct.... we were fighting on three fronts, on 5 for most of the season, so playing with a constant 14-15 of a squad is not possible...
lets be honest and truthful to ourselves here, which is more important, a semi final of the FA cup versus everton (which we have won 11 times) on a sunday......... or a premier league game versus portsmouth on a wednesday knowing our great rivals could be 2 points ahead of us going into that game, in a year when man united can equal our rivals league title honours....

i know which one is my priority, and this was backed up by the lack of upset i felt after been beaten on sunday.... i actually thought "well, at least that monkeys off our back" (referring to the quintuple)

spinoza

Paz's ion
Ok. Replace Rooney with Berbatov. We replaced Fletch with Anderson and then put Scholes/Giggs in ahead of Gibson. Maybe Nani rather than Wellback.

Suddenly, we have a much stronger lineup.
As it happens Welbeck did a bit better than Berbatov, Scholes / Giggs can't last full games, and Nani has been awful recently.

Welbeck deserved to be there on form, so did Macheda.

Crerand Legend

If we had played badly yesterday and been outclassed you could see why some people would be annoyed by SAFs team,but we were the better team and cheated out of the competition by an inept ref.In fact the performance was better than alot of our strongest teams recent showing.Let those who doubt put that in their pipe and smoke it

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I spoke to two different United fans today (1 a season ticket holder, 1 who went to his first game of the season yesterday) who were at wembley and both said they were dissapointed with the team and squad selection so maybe it's the guys who made the effort to travel to and from london on a sunday who were treated with little respect.

As for disrectecting the fa cup, I don't think so. The team you put out was more than good enough to beat Everton and but for a poor penalty decision or more luck in the shootout Fergie would be being hailled as a genuis today.

fatboy

One very key thing here is that Moyes did not take offence. He's not one to mince his words or hide his feelings, so that fact that he, of all people, seems to be ok with United's team selection, says a lot. Having won the match, it would have been so easy for him to take the moral high ground just to motivate his players even more.

It's probably because Moyes would probably have done the same if he were in Fergie's shoes.

Gazza

Fergie's responsibilities lie with United, not with the FA Cup. If he thought the team selection was good enough to get us to the final and give us an advantage in the league and Champions League, then fair play to him for being brave enough to pick the youngsters. It was very nearly a masterstroke.