Divers could face retrospective action from next season

Coxy

is that like how they said they would take a stronger stance on players surrounding the ref?

El Zoido

I'm happy with this, but I can see incidents where players are incorrectly punished

Also, would Sanchez be banned for his play acting vs. Leicester?

spwd

I think it's a good move to be honest but refs decisions should also be looked at retrospectively because some are fecking ridiculous, obviously not to the point of changing results by taking goals away which should be sorted during the game but refs need looking at as much as players simulating.

AgentP

Excellent decision by the FA. When players dive with no physical contact, it will be an easy decision for the review panel. But nowadays most dives also have some minimum amount of contact with the opponent. So it will be hard to decide which one is a dive and which isn't. I hope they come up with some way to make sure that they don't make mistakes in coming to a decision.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its so hard to prove something is a blatant dive this will barely be enforced. Take the recent Rashford and Sane examples.. both are dives but both can put in an argument they were getting out of the way of being clattered, even though they put their leg in to win those pens. This will change nothing except the really, really obvious terrible dives and the only players who those are players who are honest 99% of the time. The good divers will still get away with it.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
How long before the first 'there is contact, but they went down a bit too easy, but it's probably not a dive' incident gets a player incorrectly banned?

Oldyella

Its so hard to prove something is a blatant dive this will barely be enforced. Take the recent Rashford and Sane examples.. both are dives but both can put in an argument they were getting out of the way of being clattered, even though they put their leg in to win those pens. This will change nothing except the really, really obvious terrible dives and the only players who those are players who are honest 99% of the time. The good divers will still get away with it.
Yep. A good idea in theory but totally unenforcable imo.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So it's only if the opponent gets red card or a player wins penalty via dive they will be punished.

Where there is clear and overwhelming evidence to suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation, and as a direct result, the offending player’s team has been awarded a penalty and/or an opposing player has been dismissed, The FA will be able to act retrospectively under its Fast Track system

roonster09

Scout
But there will be cases where players goes down without any contact or playact to get someone sent off. Better than nothing imo.

padr81

Supports
Man City
But there will be cases where players goes down without any contact or playact to get someone sent off. Better than nothing imo.
An effort is appreciated but I just don't see it making too much difference in the end.

roonster09

Scout
An effort is appreciated but I just don't see it making too much difference in the end.
I think this is just a start, they will have good reasons to add something later on.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
So it's only if the opponent gets red card or a player wins penalty via dive they will be punished.
Pointless. Just say our players gets sent off because the opposition dived and got a pen which he scored to beat us. He then gets a retrospective ban but what do we get? They still have the points. Seems worth taking a dive to me.

youngrell

About time.

I don't think it's that difficult using video to judge if someone has dived or not. Those claiming to be getting out of the way can pee off, too. If you are escaping a challenge your instinct is to jump up and over, not down and towards.

I hate diving.

youngrell

Pointless. Just say our players gets sent off because the opposition dived and got a pen which he scored to beat us. He then gets a retrospective ban but what do we get? They still have the points. Seems worth taking a dive to me.
Surely the ban is the deterrent?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I know Carragher is trying to be funny and is fishing for replies but how many United players have dived this season? Pogba was booked, Rashford appeared to dive who else?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
How long before the first 'there is contact, but they went down a bit too easy, but it's probably not a dive' incident gets a player incorrectly banned?
Or better yet a player gets injured by a tackle but still gets a ban for diving. That would never happen right?

Will there still be the old "the ref saw it and in his opinion it was not a dive so we can't do anything about it now" thing?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
About time.

I don't think it's that difficult using video to judge if someone has dived or not. Those claiming to be getting out of the way can pee off, too. If you are escaping a challenge your instinct is to jump up and over, not down and towards.

I hate diving.
One of the first clue will be what they do with their hands/arms. thrown up in the air? nobody falls like that. Thrown out in front of them to catch themselves? Okay at least that is what you would expect.

acnumber9

I know Carragher is trying to be funny and is fishing for replies but how many United players have dived this season? Pogba was booked, Rashford appeared to dive who else?
If they have been doing it then they've been shit at it. We've had three penalties in the league all season.

lysglimt

Scout
As previously mentioned - very few footballers blatantly dive nowadays, but this will at least solve that problem. The majority of the situations are players going down with minimal contact - but still some contact.

The biggest problem I see with this new rule - which actually could benefit the defenders, will be situation where a defender just slightly pulls a shirt, or touches the leg of a sprinting striker. What will happen is that the striker will clearly be hindered, but not more than that he will still keep control of the ball. However - he will have lost some of his pace in the attack, and maybe the chance is gone. Will the striker dare to go to ground ? Not only was he hindered illegally, he could risk getting banned for diving.

montpelier

Carragher was a such a clogging cnut there was never much diving had to go on, isn't it?

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
This seems like one of their better ideas on paper. Obviously it'll still not be 100% though.

Be interesting to see who the first scapegoat will be.
But much better than their idea to try and clamp down on penalty box jousting during a corner as that just isn't consistent enough to be taken seriously yet.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think it will hurt us, United. Not because we have the most obvious cheaters in the squad, but every time something dodgy happens, the media will go in hard...