Diversity of Burnley's squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I mean, this thread is much worse, how parody now a lockable offence? Would it be allowed in the general forum?
Why is it bad to ask the question why Burnley have so few black /ethnic players which is way below the average of any other Prem squad?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Why is it bad to ask the question why Burnley have so few black /ethnic players which is way below the average of any other Prem squad?
He framed it as an accusation of racism, implying have a team that happens to be mostly white is wrong and must come from a racist place. Darren Bent said very similar things on twitter a few months back. He would not ever say that a team being mostly black is weird or suspect.

Not only that, his OP waa ironically full of stereotypes of black footballers.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do we have to have a representitive from every different race on the planet in the team?
No where did you get that from? I’m mocking the ‘bame’ term. It’s awful and does more misrepresentation than what’s it’s supposed to do

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He framed it as an accusation of racism, implying have a team that happens to be mostly white is wrong and must come from a racist place. Darren Bent said very similar things on twitter a few months back. He would not ever say that a team being mostly black is weird or suspect.
Did he?

I'm not accusing them of anything but its odd as every other team in the league has a decent mix.

My question to the Caf is do you think this is deliberate from Burnley?

No mention of it being bad... No mention of it being racist... Actually saying he's not saying he's not accusing then of anything and just asking why its the case when every other club has a large mix. Why is a discussion about ethnic diversity such a bad thing? Shouldn't it be encouraged?

Also a team of black players in England would be questioned to the hill and back by certain people /outlets...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is why acronyms that are developed by white people do not work.

You can lump black, Asian and all other minority people into just 4 letters. I HATE that phrase, and minorities, etc.
This. Terrible phrase.

AndersB

Did he?

I'm not accusing them of anything but its odd as every other team in the league has a decent mix.

No mention of it being bad... No mention of it being racist... Actually saying he's not saying he's not accusing then of anything and just asking why its the case when every other club has a large mix. Why is a discussion about ethnic diversity such a bad thing? Shouldn't it be encouraged?

Also a team of black players in England would be questioned to the hill and back by certain people /outlets...
Are you serious? This is a bona fide example of strongly implying something, and then not even having the guts to stand by it.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Are you serious? This is a bona fide example of strongly implying something, and then not even having the guts to stand by it.
So how should he have asked the question? Or is it simply not a question he can ask?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Did he?

He clearly implies it, he was saying that in the sense of "I'm not racist...but." "I'm not sauing they are racist...but." Also if he views the world, as you seemingly are sympathetic to, with this racial lens, how is that not racist? Diversity, representation, it's dogwhistling for racism. It's to demonise other groups that usually leftist identitarians, don't like. That is why this OP is racist and has been called out as such.

AndersB

So how should he have asked the question? Or is it simply not a question he can ask?
He could ask the question straight up, instead of putting all the "evidence" out there, holding his hands up saying "Now I'm not suggesting anything here".

Alternatively, he could have logged off before making the post in the first place.

Loads of good options

The Kag

This is why acronyms that are developed by white people do not work.

You can lump black, Asian and all other minority people into just 4 letters. I HATE that phrase, and minorities, etc.
By white people you mean those that identified as "black" (BME) during the 1970s? It was then later expanded to "BAME" after Tariq Modood, a Pakistani professor, advocated for the inclusion of Asians. With that said, I 100% agree that all of these terms and acronyms to categorize people are ironically demeaning.

The term BME has its roots in the idea of "political blackness", a term used by many in the anti-racist movement in the 1970s.
Different ethnic groups banded together under a "universal term" - black - to fight back against discrimination
In the 1990s, sociologist professor Tariq Modood began arguing that including different people under one label - black - was confusing and wouldn't work. He argued it was particularly harmful for British Asians, as it gave undue prominence to Afro-Caribbean people. At the time, his ideas were met with "great hostility by anti-racists", he says, who called him "divisive". Now, he says, he's "pleased to say my argument won".

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He clearly implies it, he was saying that in the sense of "I'm not racist...but." "I'm not sauing they are racist...but." Also if he views the world, as you seemingly are sympathetic to, with this racial lens, how is that not racist? Diversity, representation, it's dogwhistling for racism. It's to demonise other groups that usually leftist identitarians, don't like. That is why this OP is racist and has been called out as such.
He's not though... That's what you've put on his statements. Again how should he have asked this question?

Commenting about the lack of diversity isn't racist, nor is encouraging diversity.

The only thing "racist" in the O.P is the statement about Black people being genetically more athletic.

He could ask the question straight up, instead of putting all the "evidence" out there, holding his hands up saying "Now I'm not suggesting anything here".

Alternatively, he could have logged off before making the post in the first place.

Loads of good options
I'd argue that if simply asked "Why do Burnley only have white players?" and left it at that, it would be a hell of a lot worse then his actual O.P.

As for the just logging off... You're saying we shouldn't welcome conversations about ethnic diversity?

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
OP is a total car crash; as are many posts in the thread to be totally honest.

However it is a totally legitimate conversation that needs to be had sometimes. I too arrived at the conclusion that there isn’t any viable evidence showing Burnley as racist, and it is down to a number of different factors but that doesn’t make the base premise of the thread ridiculous.

Their recruitment doesn’t target white, but rather the factors they target usually lead to white British players. The squad make up is a result of their recruitment process, finances and club location.

Yeah they’re very white, and that isn’t great but on its own it isn’t racist. BAME in general are over represented at the top playing level in England (which is good, and shames many other sectors), so it doesn’t surprise me that there are some exceptions to that.
Surely if BAME are over-represented in certain sectors, then by default they’ll be under-represented in other sectors, given that BAME make up about 14% of the UK population? Can’t be over-represented everywhere.

I really think people spend far too much time over analysing this sort of thing. Doesn’t it get exhausting? I say this as someone who is mixed race.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
But is that not the inference of his entire post?
Well yes but he has stated he's not saying its that Burnley are definitely being racist... And maybe it's due to the play style. Where as just asking that question and leaving at that would leave a lot more room for the inference that it's racially motivated.

McTerminator

Brief apology, the victim being the bigger man and approaching the abuser pregame, an illiterate tweet, then forever consigned to history.
Montrezl Harrell
@MONSTATREZZ

24 Aug
If gone get the story get it right all I ask, no one spoke wit me to do anything I approach him and cleared the air from all the outside nonsense that was being said. Nothing but respect for Luka he understood the heat of the battle and he said it didn’t bother him only RESPECT
Thanks @Needham,

I imagine this is why the Montrezl issue wasn’t a big deal, but its shocking that similar instances in football haven’t received enough pressure to force a public apology, not that I’ve seen at least.

I’m a big believer in second chances but public racist incidents need an even more public apology and denouncement by the perpetrators before it should be forgotten and that just isn’t happening in football to my knowledge.

On a separate note I know my post has been criticised for trying to avoid talking about race... I mean, if that’s how you read my original post then I think I’m wasting my time responding to you directly.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Because diversity and representation are good.

Sorry lads, it’s 2020 and your types are being left behind.
I'm not sure what you're implying here. Do you think less of a predominantly white team, from a moral perspective? Even though there was no racism involved in creating this white squad?

GenZRed

I was just looking at Burnley's squad and is anyone else amazed at the lack of diversity in the squad both from a nationality and race perspective. I'm not accusing them of anything but its odd as every other team in the league has a decent mix.

It probably says a lot about their style of play too. In the PL you'd expect to have black players in the squad as genetically they are the most athletic. Most teams also have French or Spanish players as they produce the best footballers in Europe along with Germany. There are also a lot more South American players in the PL because frankly their players are usually a joy to watch and have the extra skill and flair needed in teams.

I find it quite odd that Burnley wouldn't want some of these qualities in their team. I mean it's served them well so far but looking at them you can't help but feel one of the reasons they are bottom is due to lack of pace, athleticism and skill in the side. Pulis was a fecking dinosaur but even he had a diverse team with the likes of Begovic, Nzonzi, Kenwyne Jones.

Fecking hell...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@Invictus Can I ask why this thread is still open but the (parody) West Brom thread is not? What makes this one acceptae, but not the other?
That thread was summarily closed because it was a low-effort copy + paste job. This one was left alone because it seemed to have some merit at first, but it must be noted the original poster has done a shoddy job of instigating a discussion that should have been more thoughtful and carefully worded in nature — and by now, it appears to have run its course too as folks are mostly engaging in circular argumentation with a potential for undue bickering. Locking before things go completely downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.