Do City play better without Strikers?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Before the season started many of us expected City to sign Kane but that didn't exactly pan out - maybe even looking at Kane's seasonal form, to City's benefit.

Fast forward to Christmas football and City are in a great 'easy' goalscoring form, winning matches and likely to run with trophies; to many on the Cafe - playing like a team in a different league.

At the same time I read posts about the fear people have of City signing Haaland and it actually got me thinking - could Pep's teams be better without a striker?

I remember how shocked I was that Pep didn't win a CL during his time as Bayern Manager - especially with Lewandowski as his striker. Good performances from both but the team seemed a little less deadly overall.

What about Manchester City? He didn't seem like he was a big fan of Aguero especially at the start, where I used to remember him being hardly picked. I always felt Aguero stayed a bit at City due to being a club legend - even though it seemed Pep preferred Gabriel Jesus a bit more.

Then I look back at his time at Barcelona. What exactly happened to Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Barcelona? I remember Henry, David Villa and Eto'o playing more as wingers/inverted forwards than central strikers. Who was the best striker for Pep at Barcelona and the most successful? It was Lionel Messi wasn't it? Arguably not a traditional striker at all; being given a new positional name due to how deep he could play as the "False 9" rather than being a predatory one.

Was it a coincidence that Guardiola's best and most successful seasons were through the lack of use of a traditional striker? Could it be better suited to his positional/possession based tactics that not having a striker almost tricks the opposition with who should mark who during moves of a coordinated team attack?

I'm just starting to wonder if Pep's team's could actually be better without a striker - even if those strikers are Kane or Haaland.

Last edited:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
He won a treble and his first CL title with Eto'o as a striker, Messi didn't become a false 9 till after Eto'o left. Up till last season he got closet to a CL final with Lewandowski as a striker, which saw them lose 2-2 on aggregate to Atleti in 2016. I'd say Pep system needs more of a modern #9 like Lewa, Benz, Saurez, or simply a goal scorer like Messi or Salah mold rather then Ibra type, hence Haaland transfer is kind of gamble, since at the moment, I'd liken him more to Ibra then the other 3.

They're more difficult to predict without a striker, but even with one they would be harder to predict. Pep positional play exist both ways and is still a problem to deal with. A striker might not make them as fluid as of right now, but it'll still make them dangerous in other areas.

SER19

Out and out strikers aren't essential in modern game. If you have about half a billion worth of forwards, you should be fine. City would make it work either way

Righteous Steps

Not really they just need a Benzema/Lewandowski/Firmino and Kane last season type striker who can contribute in multiple areas of the pitch, or at least be comfortable.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
What this City side needs is a 20+ goals per season attacking player, no matter if he is a central forward or not. A player with a killer instinct in front of the goal. Then the machine that Guardiola built there will be complete.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They would be better with a proper striker. Just go and watch their recent exits from the CL and tell me a striker would have made no difference to their results. It's just Pep showing off really. And it's true that they are such good players and so well coached that they can win the league without a striker, but they'd find it a lot easier with one, and I think there's always going to be a team they come unstuck against in CL until they get one unless they're very lucky.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They would be better with a proper striker. Just go and watch their recent exits from the CL and tell me a striker would have made no difference to their results. It's just Pep showing off really. And it's true that they are such good players and so well coached that they can win the league without a striker, but they'd find it a lot easier with one, and I think there's always going to be a team they come unstuck against in CL until they get one unless they're very lucky.
In every season bar last they've had a striker, Aguero. The season he didn't feature much they made it to the final. Not saying there is a correlation, but your assertion that a striker would improve their results is false, they had a striker in most of their exits

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, if that striker is Halaand, then yes. Duh.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In every season bar last they've had a striker, Aguero. The season he didn't feature much they made it to the final. Not saying there is a correlation, but your assertion that a striker would improve their results is false, they had a striker in most of their exits
An injury prone striker who often didn't start for them even when he was fit.