Do our most recent batch of legends do right by our current team as a whole?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Let me first state the legends who I'm aware of being vocally active and offering opinions on our teams over the last few years:

- Sky regulars: G. Neville, Patrice Evra, Roy Keane
- BT Sport: Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes
- MUTV: Wes Brown
- Freelance/rent-a-quote: Peter Schmeichel, Dimitar Berbatov*, Andy Cole

As far as I'm aware, these are the guys you'll see and hear from the most on UK television/media. A lot of ex-players there whose opinion carries weight and influence. Being praised by the likes of Keane, Scholes or Ferdinand, I should imagine, can boost a player, just as them coming out and laying low blows could do some harm or make players feel they're not wanted at the club.

If you're homegrown or from the UK, you're probably going to get a pass, even if you're not very good. If you're foreign, are you more likely to be harshly judged - and openly denounced - by them? (Rhetorical. The answer isn't in doubt.) And if so, to what end do they do this?

Neville dragging De Gea through the ringer when he got here and being more reticent in praise than criticism until it was undeniable; Keane last night, even in praise of Pogba laying an unnecessary boot in (Scholes does this, too), why? When these digs just seemingly come out of 'nowhere' how is the player supposed to feel? Keane and his aura and the massive amount of respect he commands (whether you accept that or not) surely has a responsibility to use his words wisely knowing the impact they can have inside and out of the club - midfielders in particular are going to be buoyed by his words and the same goes for Scholes who any aspiring creative midfielder we've got at the club in a professional capacity is going to know the legend of.

I thought it stood out last night because it was so out of place for the social media dig to just get annexed after the praise - like it's ingrained or something.

I've thought, during the periods of miserable football, sub-par performances and overall toxic melancholy Mourinho brought along with him and brainwashed some fans with, it was easy, and perhaps, fair game to be taking the shots at under-performing players, which is why only the most out there comments got picked up on. Also, whilst Ole had his nosedive period, it wasn't out of place to be taking shots at the plethora of under-performing players, but now? At the current time, these digs just look wholly out of order and, if not personal, just bitter and curmudgeonly.

I should say Rio and Evra, as well as the few times I've heard Wes, don't do this and are more likely to offer positivity and encouragement without these left-field digs.

Are these ex-players, who do do this going to cut it out? The more impressive our football and the better the unit is playing, the more these slights reflect poorly upon them. I've got a lot of time for Keane, even though many a fan think of him as a miserable ex-pro, but last night, I thought of what he said from a managerial point of view or even as a figure of inspiration for upcoming United midfielders and thought he came off as just plain nasty for such a flippant comment he felt he just had to make.

*not a legend, but still a winner here.

Mr Smith

Keane and Scholes were great players, but are now just miserable men who haven't been able to deal with retirement. There, I said it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Evra and Ferdinand are the only ones who side with the club but are still honest.

Neville is a bit mixed up. He obviously means well but he gets swayed by the media and the "sky version" way too much.

Orestetes

Keane and Scholes were great players, but are now just miserable men who haven't been able to deal with retirement. There, I said it.
Yeah I don't think that if I was critized by either of them, I'd be too much bothered by it. They seem cranky and just overall negative. Who cares what they say? They had a good career, but that don't make them good pundits with valuable points of view.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Keane, Neville and Evra seem very pro Ole. Think they've been pretty good over the last year+
Keane on DDG was a bit much, but he had a point, so no problem

Web of Bissaka

All of them are pro-United, most are critical during LVG and Mou, but now generally pro-Ole except RVP once, majority of the time.
Also all of them will always make a reference to SAF and their experience story about United footballs, united way, identity, ..yada yada yada.

Interestingly their support and comments about United players are mixed results.
Possibly only Rio, Evra and Berba are always pro-current United players.

GNev - mixed/random. Good knowledge, usually good and on point, insightful but then few times he goes..
Keane - admirable honesty, brave, bold and often spot-on but too subjective and negative at times, opinion is out a few times.
Scholes - honest, brave, bold and subjective, usually negative but.. the points though..
Rio - too safe, positive and protective indirect comments.
Wes - ?
Pete - admirable honesty and subjective. Only heard once. Was expecting more vicious comments but yeah..
Cole - ?
Evra - positive, brave, bold and direct honesty comments usually and protective of players.
Fletcher - very good, positive and negative few comments, basically critically on point usually and tactical.
Berba - same with Evra.
RVP - honest, bold and direct. Heard just once. Can still do better.

Wouldn't say Berba and Fletcher are legends but yeah..

shaky

I have a lot of time for Neville's opinions. Keane is a bit of a wind-up merchant but he speaks his mind and is pretty amusing. He also told Carragher where to go when he was insisting that Ole was the wrong man for the job. Evra comes across as a bit of a Utd cheerleader, he's probably too close to a lot of the players to say anything negative, he's a bit like Carra, and Micah Richards for City, great fans of their team but too partisan to make decent, objective pundits.

pacifictheme

I have a lot of time for Neville's opinions. Keane is a bit of a wind-up merchant but he speaks his mind and is pretty amusing. He also told Carragher where to go when he was insisting that Ole was the wrong man for the job. Evra comes across as a bit of a Utd cheerleader, he's probably too close to a lot of the players to say anything negative.
Uncle pat?

I think generally the names in op are heavily pro united and love the club. Some are frustrated fans and have shown it.

Andy Cole is never on TV is he? A club ambassador and all round great guy. Always seems positive on Instagram.

Paul Parker on the other hand loves sticking the boot in. He hates united.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Keane said that with a cheeky smile and sense of sarcasm against himself I thought directed at Evra last night, it was hardly a deep cutting dig. Just a bit of on air laugh.

these ex players had massive high standard and I don’t blame any of them for being unhappy at things they’ve seen and had a go at. They all clearly love united and want them doing well.

and the players more than anyone should know not to take pundits comments to heart, they’re there to create headlines and cause debate.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I will never ever understand why people get so precious about the opinions of pundits... I mean who gives a feck?

I think all our ex players do a grand job when they're on the box... Particularity Neville and Keane