Do we have the budget to sign Messi?

RedStarUnited

Our angle in this shouldnt be money but prestige. On the money side give hima circa 500k contract and load up the rest on bonuses. If thats ends being expensive then it will be worth it.

The one and only way to get him is to convince him that United is the prestigious club his talents and legendary status deserves. Maybe even mention the fact that Ronaldo has only played for prestigious clubs in all the countries he has played in.

OrcaFat

I suppose we’d find a way of affording him if he wanted to come here, which doesn’t seem likely.

Wherever he goes, I can’t see him maintaining his levels for more than a year or two max. I don’t think the prem would suit him either, at this stage of his career.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If he's not asking more than 450k a week on a 1 or 2 year contract, I think we can have him. I reckon the club can go that far.

Any more than that and we'd have to sell quite a few players.
supposedly, before it all fell apart, he was getting a five-year deal at Barca (that's what I heard - and thought it was mad). I just don't see us getting involved although if it meant shunting Pogba out to PSG I'd see that as good news

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I suppose we’d find a way of affording him if he wanted to come here, which doesn’t seem likely.

Wherever he goes, I can’t see him maintaining his levels for more than a year or two max. I don’t think the prem would suit him either, at this stage of his career.
He'd be mad to come to the EPL to be knocked around all season. Players would be lining up to get a yellow card for fouling him in home games, crowds would love it!

BULB

Ole will be resisting so hard. Imagine the pressure on him to win if we signed Messi - Not going to happen!!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t think our fans will actually like it if we signed Messi, of course, unless he was absolutely amazing here. He’s not the profile of player that United fans seem to take to.

Houdini

Don’t think our fans will actually like it if we signed Messi, of course, unless he was absolutely amazing here. He’s not the profile of player that United fans seem to take to.
I would take him in a hearbeat. Would sacrifice any of our players (except Shaw, Varane, Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho) too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I would take him in a hearbeat. Would sacrifice any of our players (except Shaw, Varane, Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho) too.
I can get that view. But I think from reading the caf over the years, I don’t see this type of signing as the type that our fans really like. I made some observations regarding Pogba coming back, for example. Our fans have an inferiority complex I think. When Pogba rumours first broke, the response was your typical ‘no chance’, and an expectation he’d rather go to ‘Madrid, City, Chelsea’ etc. I think whenever a superstar is on the market, the first instinct seems to be ‘no chance he would want to play for little old Manchester United when he can play somewhere else’.

Now Pogba could have come and been unanimously amazing from the start which may have changed narrative, but from the very beginning, there was some sort of undertone of ‘he probably doesn’t really want to be here’. A player with Bruno’s profile people gravitate to naturally. Players who fans believe would see United as some sort of dream move for them. Pogba was of the profile at the time where I don’t think many fans could get their heads around it, and as a result, the relationship starts with distrust or the player not really treated as one of us.

I can’t see a scenario where say, Neymar or Mbappé joined United where fans would be able to accept it as something that makes sense. From then on, any poor performance will attract a bad reaction. Neymar makes sense at Barcelona or Real Madrid. Mbappé could choose to join City, but could only come to United because of money, in the eyes of many, I suspect.

I see Messi in this category of player. It even happened with Cavani last summer. A lot of United fans don’t seem to think too much of their club, and superstars wanting to come here breeds distrust. Any adverse performance and people will quickly fall out with Messi here, probably because they never trusted it in the first place.

phenry

supposedly, before it all fell apart, he was getting a five-year deal at Barca
I think that was their way of spreading the payments of his deal because they couldn't afford it over a 2/3 year period

Dahmmy

considering how Messi single handly bankrupted a club all by himself, id rather he stay away..

still rate him as a legend but its a pass from me..

Houdini

I can get that view. But I think from reading the caf over the years, I don’t see this type of signing as the type that our fans really like. I made some observations regarding Pogba coming back, for example. Our fans have an inferiority complex I think. When Pogba rumours first broke, the response was your typical ‘no chance’, and an expectation he’d rather go to ‘Madrid, City, Chelsea’ etc. I think whenever a superstar is on the market, the first instinct seems to be ‘no chance he would want to play for little old Manchester United when he can play somewhere else’.

Now Pogba could have come and been unanimously amazing from the start which may have changed narrative, but from the very beginning, there was some sort of undertone of ‘he probably doesn’t really want to be here’. A player with Bruno’s profile people gravitate to naturally. Players who fans believe would see United as some sort of dream move for them. Pogba was of the profile at the time where I don’t think many fans could get their heads around it, and as a result, the relationship starts with distrust or the player not really treated as one of us.

I can’t see a scenario where say, Neymar or Mbappé joined United where fans would be able to accept it as something that makes sense. From then on, any poor performance will attract a bad reaction. Neymar makes sense at Barcelona or Real Madrid. Mbappé could choose to join City, but could only come to United because of money, in the eyes of many, I suspect.

I see Messi in this category of player. It even happened with Cavani last summer. A lot of United fans don’t seem to think too much of their club, and superstars wanting to come here breeds distrust. Any adverse performance and people will quickly fall out with Messi here, probably because they never trusted it in the first place.
You are right but that is because our chance of winning silverware post SAF is really low and there was no project during previous managers. No plan (or a bad one). "So why would any TOP player join us if not for money?" I think things are changing slowly under Ole (in the right direction). If we win something under Ole, I can see the change of this mentality you described.
for the record: I was for Pogba coming back

ROFLUTION

No resale value, just expenses.

+ We can't compete with clubs that offer unofficial wages like we seen City do. Of course PSG does that too.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Of course I'd take Messi here, come on. He's the best footballer on the planet, he can come here anytime.

Seeing that Tottenham tried to sign him gave me all the chuckles though

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Of course I'd take Messi here, come on. He's the best footballer on the planet, he can come here anytime.

Seeing that Tottenham tried to sign him gave me all the chuckles though
Apparently he really loves cheese so we had a great chance.

sp_107

We made an offer of worth 140M for Ansu fati last year...so i wouldnt be surprised if we go after a blockbuster deal this year like Kane / Haalnd as it seems Messi is PSG bound.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
For the price PSG are paying (signing on fee and wages) I am surprised that other teams were not interested. But then you realise that they are likely paying him much more than that off the books.

Gopher Brown

We made an offer of worth 140M for Ansu fati last year...so i wouldnt be surprised if we go after a blockbuster deal this year like Kane / Haalnd as it seems Messi is PSG bound.
Yeah, did we though? I mean, really?

Edit: apparently, yes. Insane.

kthanksbye

If there's a way we can afford him, we should certainly make an effort, it would be stupid to not try to sign the best player of the generation.

Chairman Steve

With the exception of Veron and Romero, Argentineans who play for Utd usually end up being despised by the fans despite initial excitement.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yes, Utd fans do not like watching amazing players and winning trophies. Is that your logic?

Eli Zee

Pogba+DDG=35M a year wages but Messi is on 120M per year at Barca, can we match even 100M per year?
If he brings in 100million+ a year just by being at the club, why not? None of our other players are capable of that

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
:lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
350,000/week would be the equivalent of slumming it for Messi. The highest I could see us go to would be 500k but I doubt that even reaches half of what PSG is offering him.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We can’t afford him because we can’t afford another Sanchez situation that could rot the entire squad.

RedKnight88

Imagine this:

------------------------------- Edinson Cavani--------------------
Jadon Sancho-------Bruno Fernandes-------Lionel Messi

Or when Cavani needs a rest:

----------------------------Lionel Messi-----------------
Rashford--------Bruno Fernandes----------Jadon Sancho

Please make it happen!:D