Do you believe in the Football Gods?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Simple enough question... do you think there is some sort of magical force/fate or even the will of chance that dictates how certain things go in football?

For example, I knew for a fact that we'd lose to Chelsea on Sunday... not because of tiredness, or because of selection... but because the footballing gods wouldn't allow us to beat Chelsea four times in a season. Similarly, I think that Southampton scored that last minute goal the other day because the Gods needed the top 4 race to be interesting... it's also why we won't beat West Ham by more then a goal or two tomorrow.

Is this actually all really down to player ability/psychology/momentum? Of course not, it's Gods right?

So yeah...do they exist? And if they do what are there rules? And what is the biggest example of the Gods getting involved that you can remember.

norm87cro

Us winning the CL in the most dramatic fashion on what would be Sir Matt's 90th birthday? Yes, I believe in the football Gods

Jordi

I did up until that Thierry Henry handball against Ireland in the WC Qualifier. My faith was shook from that point.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Us winning the CL in the most dramatic fashion on what would be Sir Matt's 90th birthday? Yes, I believe in the football Gods
If the football gods were real they would have made it happen on his 100th birthday.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Eder‘s goal in Paris made me believe, the whole story is way too perfect

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I think there are just so many mundane, routine games that when something special aligns we all notice it more. That or there is always a logical explanation, us beating you because we're fired up after losing three and better rested after extra days of rest. Players scoring against old clubs is another example, they raise their own game to match the occasion.

Occasionally something ridiculously huge happens like Utd CL in 99, Aguero v QPR or Drogba CL in 2012.

Reactions: harms

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Remember when Guardiola's barcelona were going to win the CL at the Bernabeu, and then a volcano went off in Iceland?

Yeah

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If they do exist we've done something to offend them

Siorac

If the footballing gods were real, Liverpool would never have won a title again.

Traub

If the footballing gods were real, Liverpool would never have won a title again.
Alternatively, statistically it was inevitable that they'd eventually win it again. So the footballs gods let them win it a * season.

Paul_Scholes18

No not real. Mental factors and momentum are huge in football though and can swing things around big time.
If the players have faith in bigger forces it might effect things.

Goku23

There is only one God He died on a cross 2000 years ago for the worlds sin fate and all that is of the devil

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If football gods do exist, we'd absolutely batter Westham with Moyes on the touchline looking clueless and pale, with the camera zoomed in on him. If that doesn't happen then there are no football gods. Only pseudo-football gods that could affect the result of matches depending their mood, or decisions that they pull out of their pseudo-superbeings' arses. E.g: Mike Dean, Mark Clattenburg, Wankers behind VAR, etc.

Macern

Pee pee pants
So yeah...do they exist? And if they do what are there rules? And what is the biggest example of the Gods getting involved that you can remember.
Yeah definitely. They’re there to balance it all. For instance they got Leicester to win the PL just to prove to everyone that the ‘poor’ clubs can beat the rich clubs. We also got punished by the gods after enjoying too much success during the SAF era. Barcelona will now be punished and experience a couple of bad years.

It seems like the Gods don’t really like clubs like City and PSG which is why they tend to underperform in the CL. If there is say a penalty shootout in a CL final between a normal club and a club like City/PSG/Newcastle then the normal club will 100% win.

We’ll draw against West Ham, but luckily the Gods like Solskjær so we’ll draw against Leicester too. They’ll probably get a VAR-disallowed goal late in the game which will cause a media frenzy against us because of us getting too much help from the refs / VAR.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The fact that before a big game I appear to pray to the footballing gods says that I do believe.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Deus na ceu, Eder na terra. Amen.

distant_red

What do you think VAR is?

When the refs runs over to view the monitor, it's not a replay their looking at. "My child, I have listened to your question. If there is goodness in your heart, offside, but if there is not, you must award the goal."

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
After how Chelsea won CL in 2012? Absolutely.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wycombe just got promoted to the championship for goodness sake, against 20 teams with a higher budget, including giants like Sunderland!

So sometimes something extra is going on!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Simple enough question... do you think there is some sort of magical force/fate or even the will of chance that dictates how certain things go in football?

For example, I knew for a fact that we'd lose to Chelsea on Sunday... not because of tiredness, or because of selection... but because the footballing gods wouldn't allow us to beat Chelsea four times in a season. Similarly, I think that Southampton scored that last minute goal the other day because the Gods needed the top 4 race to be interesting... it's also why we won't beat West Ham by more then a goal or two tomorrow.

Is this actually all really down to player ability/psychology/momentum? Of course not, it's Gods right?

The closest you will get to this in the real world is mathematical probabilities. Probabilities are actually really fun to to with if you are interested in mathematics. For example someone actually complied the probability of the sun quantum tunneling into a different universe using schroedingerz equation - P= e(-2KL) - Which also happens to the the exact chance that Liverpool will win the Premier League again.