Do you find Man City (and other Pep teams) boring?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Seeing Pep, Lego Pep, and Spanish Lego Pep all being sent packing in a couple of days was glorious.

Yes, because that's worked out perfectly for us these past 10 years. We've had Di Maria, Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani, Varane, Casemiro, you name it at the club but it doesn't equal automatic success. I think you're underestimating how impactful a generational manager really is.
Not being funny, but 6 of those names were into their 30’s mate. One didn’t even wanna be here. One (Sancho) is simply shit.

Zen86

Not disagreeing with that, but will he take them to Pep heights? I really don't believe so.
Depends how invested Abu Dhabi are after Pep leaves. He was always the end game for them as per the “copy Barca” mandate. Abu Dhabi might lose some of the cold, ruthless business pragmatism they’ve shown since they took over once the project effectively reaches it’s end.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Taking off Haaland and De Bruyne proved to be crucial, as they would have likely scored their pens.
It's Pep's biggest weakness. Trying to look like a genius by making stupid decisions. Like the final against Chelsea when he played no holding midfielder for the first time all season.

Obviously he is a great manager but Christ his teams are horrible to watch.

Shark

@NotShark
Not being funny, but 6 of those names were into their 30’s mate. One didn’t even wanna be here. One (Sancho) is simply shit.
Three of them were. Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez, Sancho, Varane and Casemiro all still in their 20's when we signed them. Rather Sancho was shit or not he was a record signing that was supposedly at Bellingham levels of potential when we'd signed him, and I reckon if he went to City, we'd be possibly seeing a different player right now because of Pep and his coaches.

Shark

@NotShark
Depends how invested Abu Dhabi are after Pep leaves. He was always the end game for them as per the “copy Barca” mandate. Abu Dhabi might lose some of the cold, ruthless business pragmatism they’ve shown since they took over once the project effectively reaches it’s end.
This is what I'm thinking too.

Three of them were. Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez, Sancho, Varane and Casemiro all still in their 20's when we signed them.
Sanchez was in his 30th year when we signed him, Zlatan was in his 35th, Ronaldo was 36, Casemiro was 30.

Fair enough on Varane though.

Regardless it doesn’t exactly look a list that screams of players that Madrid would buy, or the Abu Dhabi football project for that matter. Only really Sancho fits that mould and looking at him for England and even back at Dortmund now, it’s clear we all massively overrated him due to his spell in Germany.

But all this aside, our spending as an actual football club rather than oil state, has also meant we kept the following players (thanks @Insanity) on for the book value…

Eric Bailly (7 seasons, 6 of them were garbage. Mind still boggles why he was given the last contract extension)
Phil Jones (12 seasons, 8 were garbage/on the IR. Even a more ridiculous last contract extension than one given to Bailly)
Lindelof (7 seasons, all range from bad to mediocre)
Marcus Rojo (7 seasons. Maybe 10 games in those 7 seasons were good. Iirc, the last couple of seasons we paid him to play for other clubs).
Shaw (10 seasons, may be 3 good seasons in those 10. Shawberto, apparently. Should have been sold with one year left on his deal, instead he got a bumper extension)

The McTominator (7 seasons. Jose's parting gift to us. Watch him get another extension)
Jesse Lingard (7 senior seasons. West Ham were stupid enough to want to pay for him with a year left, but we said no, we want some more. Then he left on a free).

Martial (9 seasons. Another one who should have been let go or sold with one year left but instead we gave him a bumper new contract; after that he played like 10 games for the club and was bothered in 2)

Zlatan got a contract extension at the tender age of 92 after he tore his ACL. Rashford got a Mbappe contract. Bruno was given a contract extension when there was no need to give him one and we could have easily waited till a new manager was in place. Mata's numerous contract extensions.Rooney and Nani contract extensions post Sir Alex. One season we paid Nani to play for Sporting. Pogba was kind and saved us by not signing a contract extension. I am sure there are a few others that I am missing.The list is endless

All this has effected what we really could do in the market and hence why we tend to spend big & desperate for a couple of Summers before there’s nothing left, we can’t sell anyone and we buy Fred & Dalot, or we loan Weghorst or Amrabat. We also keep on managers far too long as we never quite do the whole “here’s 6 new top players” thing in one Summer, so we instead give them 3 or 4 and pretty much always assume we’ll need to build them a squad over 2-3 years to really judge them.

I mean, look where we were post Ragnick man, with a manager telling us we needed open heart surgery, we bought just 4 first team staters and followed that up the next Summer with the likes of Mount, Højlund & Amrabat.
Can you ever in your wildest dreams imagine the Abu Dhabi project finishing 6th on 58 points and then backing their manager with such underwhelming transfer windows? :lol:

Stop making the naive assumption that the Abu Dhabi football project is a football club that faces the same pitfalls, at best they are Madrid-esque, simply far too powerful financially to ever go a prolonged spell without winning. At worst, they are a state oil project with a GDP of 280 billion dollars, fighting out a league where the next best entity has a revenue of just 820 million dollars.
In short, their domination was always inevitable, and whilst they might have a blip or two more post Pep, their financial might ensures no mistake ever needs to be a lasting one, every mistake can be moved on to a sister club, every mistake can be easily replaced the following season.

Last edited:
For example @Shark, we know already that Abu Dhabi were preparing for Pep with transfers he wanted (Sterling) even before his arrival, but even then his first two windows looked like this…

John Stones, Sane, Zinchenko, Jesus, Gundogan, Bravo, Nolito.

Followed up by:

Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Bernado Silva, Ederson, Danilo, Doug Luiz.

Compare that to ETH and United :lol:

They simply don’t have to do things real football clubs do. 14 realistic first team starters in 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Zen86

This is what I'm thinking too.
Their continuation is really the crux of it. Some people like to pretend that Pep is a Sir Alex, Busby, Shankly sort who has built the club. But he’s just a face for a state backed business with political objectives. If Abu Dhabi still care after he’s gone, they’ll stay at the top.

Hester_manc

As I see it City is the best team in the world right now, but I only watch them, if they play against a team, where there is a realistic chance of them losing - and against us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For example @Shark, we know already that Abu Dhabi were preparing for Pep with transfers he wanted (Sterling) even before his arrival, but even then his first two windows looked like this…

John Stones, Sane, Zinchenko, Jesus, Gundogan, Bravo, Nolito.

Followed up by:

Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Bernado Silva, Ederson, Danilo, Doug Luiz.

Compare that to ETH and United :lol:

They simply don’t have to do things real football clubs do. 14 realistic first team starters in 2 seasons.
Plus they already had the strongest squad in the team when he arrived.
Aguero, KDB Kompany, D Silva, Toure. Sterling.
Possibly others I'm overlooking.

Whereas Jose found a haphazard squad and had to spent about 180m on Pogba and Lukaku just to give us some kind of answer to KDB and Aguero.