Do you read anything into pre-season results?

Tony Clifton

I never want us doing too well in pre-season. I actually view pre-seasons with too many wins as concerning.

There probably aren't statistics which conclude that good pre-seasons are followed up by bad actual seasons, but…I just don't like it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I prefer we don’t just breeze through them so that we get a sufficient kick up the arse for the season starting

weizxx

Yes if we was good at preseason I will worry it will be 2014 again. We are doing bad so I worry more.

Reactions: jojojo

Strelok

Not so much tbh I don't even bother to watch pre season games. However imo:

- These games are basically training matches. The pressure is off and the defenders tend to be less dirty and combative so if an attacker does well it doesn't really mean much. But if he doesn't do well in that environment it's unlikely he'd do well in the first real matches.

- If a coach plays his first XI in those matches it means he's not very confident of his first XI and would need to let them play more to gel, to get sharpness and to identify issues. If he play the youngsters a lot that means he knows what his first XI could do, they're pretty ready and he's confident of them. He only want to see a bit of what the youngsters could do while saving the first XI for the new season.

So in fact if you see a lot of the youngsters in those matches regardless of the results your team would generally do well in the first games of the new season imo.

Depends on the stage of pre season.

Results early on don't matter. Players are are unfit and it's a different lineup every half of football. Towards the end though it's good to see players begin to perform, they should be almost at fitness and many of the first teamers are playing 60+ minutes.

In other words I don't care what we did against Arsenal but I'd hope we play well against Lens on the weekend.

Longshanks

No not really, as long as your not getting hammered. It's about building fitness, trying to get everyone match fit and making tactical tweaks.

Results don't matter noone cares once the season gets underway.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I don't read much into pre-season games but I enjoy watching them. Hell, I'm getting so old now with not a lot of time left, so I just want to see as much of the club as possible. I love trying to guess who is going to break through and then have those expectations shattered when the season starts!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
We learn more from defeats than wins during pre season.

As long as we don’t get smashed and the instructions are followed - then results don’t matter.

Demon Barber

We learn more from defeats than wins during pre season.

As long as we don’t get smashed and the instructions are followed - then results don’t matter.
I tend to agree with this. EtH was understandably annoyed by poor defending at the end of the first half v Dortmund, and more so about the last 30 minutes where "11 individuals" did not "follow the rules."

If he displays annoyance in his MUTV post-match interview then I can only imagine what was said to the players privately. He has standards and those standards were not met. In that sense EtH will have learned something from this tour, or it will have confirmed what he already thought.

Bayern won a pre-season match 27 - 0 (or something) What is gained from that? Of course it's a bit of fun but you learn absolutely nothing.

RedIan

Its of no concern, a work out to get match fit, test individuals and systems and iron out issues before the real games start.
ive seen us have shocking or season results and win the Premier league the same season.

Shark

@NotShark
Since I've reached my 30's I've barely watched pre season never mind take them seriously.

tenhagsimp

I remembered the times we steamrolled preseason and people got their hope up just for us to play like shit in the first few games. Would prefer the team try new stuff to see whether it works or not rather than trying to win without learning anything new. You wont get another opportunity to test something when the season starts