Does anyone know why we didn't sign Bruno last summer?

Red4Life_#7

The man has come in and changed our whole season, the impact has been unbelievable.

I really want to know the actual reason why he was not signed last summer???

He had a €35m release clause (release clauses are complicated, we would have had to taken Sporting to court if they didn't want to sell), but why didn't we get the deal done?

Thank you!

Keefy18

The man has come in and changed our whole season, the impact has been unbelievable.

I really want to know the actual reason why he was not signed last summer???

He had a €35m release clause (release clauses are complicated, we would have had to taken Sporting to court if they didn't want to sell), but why didn't we get the deal done?

Thank you!
As you say there was clauses in the contract and it wasn't as easy as some make out.

On top of that we couldn't spend recklessly either in that we had also spent a hefty sum on Maguire as well without trying to get some funds back in for Lukaku and Sanchez off the books which were not done until very late on / or post EPL transfer window closing.

Castia

Don’t think we had the budget after Maguire and AWB plus Pogba was fit, we didn’t know he’d miss most of the season.

Mistake in hindsight I think we’d comfortably be in third now.

Based Adnan

We spent a lot of the summer going for Dybala who had ridiculous demands/image rights issues. Then apparently we decided on trying to sign no-one else for that position due to Fernandes having a poor pass completion rate.

Keefy18

Because Glazers and Woodward were penny pinching.
I think "penny pinching" is a ridiculous summary.

We'd spent big on Maguire, we spent a fair amount again last summer as is. We also still had Lukaku & Sanchez on the books on huge wages.

Far too many supporters completely ignore our wage bill and just throw out tabloid sentiments about penny pinching.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think any of us will ever truthfully know, we obviously knew it was a position we needed to strengthen though, we had a look at Dybala, Eriksen and even Coutinho. I’m guessing some financial reason, maybe Sporting were asking too much of us at the time, we might have been light on funds after our summer outlay, who knows.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was billed as a possible Pogba replacement. Pogbas injury and our lack of cutting edge forced our hand in January. He was the best player available but I believe we ended up spending a fair bit more on in the end than if we’d a solid plan to get him all along. I’m really glad it’s working well between himself and Pogba. We have one of the best midfields in Europe on paper now

Greck

Because Glazers and Woodward were penny pinching.
We spent 80m on Maguire. The things we call pennypinching must make other fans think we're the epitome of rich club privilege

Oh and 50m on an unproven AWB. If we wanted Bruno in the summer we would have gotten him because our business in the summer clearly showed we were willing to pay the premium for a signing that's high priority

edcunited1878

Clauses in his contract plus Sporting needed cash injection mid season more than just prior to and wages that needed to be moved from within the club. Ashley Young's wages were freed, and his number, while Bruno was being negotiated with. Young being transferred at the time wasn't an accident or by chance entirely.

Young was transferred two weeks before Bruno was signed. Bruno literally assumed his number and wages allocation.

Pogba and Bruno don't play the same position, but in terms of having a creative player, sure that makes sense in terms of have another creative and match winning player.