Does Maguire's armband make him the leader while Ronaldo is in the same team?

Bondi77

Fred will lead them all.

On a serious note, once Varane properly settles I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be seen as leader within the squad. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player and is calm as feck.

Our true great leader.
At Madrid he was the quiet one alongside Ramos so while he is a class act He is no more a leader than Luke.

Dante

Average bang
No more than the number 7 shirt makes Ronaldo a rightwinger, or the number 11 shirt makes Greenwood a leftwinger.

EtH

Ronaldo manipulate ball so as to go in goal striking back of net.

Name better leader. white text

Strats

At Madrid he was the quiet one alongside Ramos so while he is a class act He is no more a leader than Luke.
Fair point mate, obviously too early to say how things will play out. I think most players would be the quiet one alongside Ramos and I'd hope Varane would impose himself more at United.

I find him a tad superior than Shaw given the titles he's won and his consistency, even if I wouldn't complain at all if Shaw was made captain.

Last edited:

choccy77

Fred is the real boss at United, second only to the godfather Phil Jones.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure what the obsession is with getting the captain arm band away from Maguire, he's a crucial player in our team and seems to do a lot outside of the pitch.

Eric_the_Red99

This fanbase is getting weirder by the day.
The next logical step will be to ask if we even need to field 11 players now. Surely we just need to play Ronnie by himself and the other teams will just bow down and let him score out of respect for the god of football?

DepaysCowboyHat

Thought it was nonsense he got the band instead of DDG (at the time), very happy to eat that sock.
He's done very well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Has he invited Ronaldo to his Whatsapp group yet? to send motivational quotes everyday.

Something like
"Age is just a number" - Justgirlythings

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
From a team with a lack of on-field leadership a few years back, we're in good shape now. Maguire, Varane, Fernandes, Ronaldo. But Harry's done well, so no point in disrupting the continuity.
yeah this. It’s a good point though. At one stage we were bereft of leadership and aggression. Hopefully our guys channel the aggression a top team needs. We are still lacking that from what I can see. You can’t buy it. If a team as stacked as ours is aggressive enough = Fergie type team = success?

Herman Toothrot

Well this thread took a quick grim turn.
Don't worry, not until he's scored today's hat-trick (free kick, header and penalty), reclaimed the captaincy, overtakes Rooney's scoring record, becomes player manager into his 50s and then later full-time manager in a career which eclipses Sir Alex Ferguson's and is finally recognised by the club naming the stadium after him, then the training ground and eventually the club.

To think, a couple of weeks ago he was going to sign for City.

Red_toad

Should Ronnie get the captain's armband, because no one will have the same impact on the team as he has already had?
Bruce captained Cantona, so what difference does anything make? Harry is the Captain, just deal with it and move on...

Polar

Should Ronnie get the captain's armband, because no one will have the same impact on the team as he has already had?
Don’t think Ronaldo cares much about the armband now. United and Ronaldo probably also realise he shouldn’t play all matches, maybe only 1/2 or 2/3 of them.

Maguire plays all the time and is doing great job. He will continue to do so also with Ronaldo on the pitch.

Siorac

The obsession with who wears a certain piece of textile on their arm while kicking a football around is bloody weird.

I'm also enjoying @Herman Toothrot's disdain for the Ronaldo cult.

A-man

No. He’d be behind Maguire, Shaw, Varane, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani. Ronaldo is not that guy.
It’s different to show leadership skills and to be the captain. Bruno and Cavani are too hot tempered, I don’t want them to be our communication with the ref. Varane is the opposite and was always quiet as a mouse. Pogba, I’ve never really seen any captain material at all with him plus his agent is making it impossible. Maguire is doing a good job and there is no reason to remove him from that duty, but surely Ronaldo has everything what it takes.

A-man

The obsession with who wears a certain piece of textile on their arm while kicking a football around is bloody weird.

To many people, football is a greater deal than people wearing textiles while kicking a ball around .

devips

What we need is team harmony. Ronaldo FC are trying to disrupt that.

I think it was a negative move to give Ronaldo Cavani's No.7 shirt.
I also think this notion that he should now be given captaincy is crazy.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It's probably been commented a few times but we now have a leader in the back and a leader in the front.

Maguire should not lose the armband just because Ronnie is here - that's massively undermining the former's leadership.
I am sure both can work together - same way Ramos and Ronaldo worked, a boss at the back and up top.

Herman Toothrot

Ha! I am gutted to not have a ticket today and I'm crossing my fingers that I can find a decent stream later. It's exciting, but I am excited about this team anyway and I hope we don't risk it's development by making too many accomodations for any individuals.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ronaldo isn't really a captain as such - for Portugal and international football the idea of the best player being captain makes sense, but not at club level. He's a natural leader because of his iconic status and professionalism, but he's also petulant and on the pitch if it's not going his way he will strop, even at 36.

I'm not fully convinced Maguire has the right credentials either to be fair.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s different to show leadership skills and to be the captain. Bruno and Cavani are too hot tempered, I don’t want them to be our communication with the ref. Varane is the opposite and was always quiet as a mouse. Pogba, I’ve never really seen any captain material at all with him plus his agent is making it impossible. Maguire is doing a good job and there is no reason to remove him from that duty, but surely Ronaldo has everything what it takes.
Ronaldo would be close to bottom of my list. He’s an absolute asshat on a football pitch. I cannot stand how he behaves.

davidmichael

Back when Steve Bruce was captain we also had Schmeichel, Pallister, Keane, Ince, Cantona and Hughes then when Cantona was captain we had pretty much the same amount of leaders.

When Keane was captain we had Schmeichel, Gary Neville, Stam, Irwin, Beckham, Giggs and Sheringham and when Gary Neville was captain we had VDS, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez.

Our best squads have always had lots of leaders in the squad and that’s one of the main flaws our squads have had post Sir Alex so now having Varane, Maguire, Pogba, Ronaldo and Cavani all in the squad as leaders whilst the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and McTominay are developing and Sancho has come in will only benefit the squad regardless of who wears the actual armband.

Maguire is the captain. He is the one who you’d expect to argue with the ref etc,

Cavani is another type of captain but without an armband as he often gets into scuffles to defend our players etc.

Ronaldo is a leader by example both his goals and attitude/desire

Fernandes is a leader by example and also captain without an armband.

Varane is a leader and by example and personality with his cool head.

Pogba is a characteristic type of leader with his persona and ability.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo is clearly going to be the team's leader. Magure is the captain.

A bit similar to how Rooney (and after him Giggs, Rio and Scholes) were our leader, but Vidic was the captain.