Does Man Utd have a player(s) that other teams fear?

AndyJ1985

Fellaini. Teams specifically change their tactics to try and mark him out of the game. Sir Alex did it and so did Mourinho, when he put Zouma on him.
:lol: Trust you to compare Fellaini's impact to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi.

Dante

Average bang
Teams definitely fear Rashford. He may not be world class (yet), but it's obvious how nervous defenders are about him. There are a lot of elements in his game that are irrepressible.

Zlatattack

Right now we don't have one of those players. Rashford, Pogba, Martial and Mkhytarian could be those players for us next season. This is why I so want us to sign Sanchez, he could definitely be that player!

RedPnutz

Agree about Sanchez. Seems to have a bit of a relentless bullishness about the team when he plays.

I think if Martial has his head on right this summer he'd be that for us. Pogba I think the reason he got so much stick was because he was supposed to be that.

How about Mata?

Walters_19_MuFc

:lol: Trust you to compare Fellaini's impact to the likes of Ronaldo and Messi.
Trust you to misinterpret my post.

The title of thread clearly says, 'Does Man Utd have a player(s) that other teams fear?'

I'm not comparing Fellaini's impact with Messi or Ronaldo's, but as I said, teams go out of their way to try and stop/manage the threat of Fellaini. That's a fact!

Walters_19_MuFc

The op asked if we had a player to fear in the mold of Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar and you guys pointed to Fellaini. That's pretty grim.
The OP also said, 'Who do you think, if we have one, would be a player that opposition teams will want to shut down?'.

Other than Fellaini, has any one of our current players ever been man marked?

Zlatattack

Agree about Sanchez. Seems to have a bit of a relentless bullishness about the team when he plays.

I think if Martial has his head on right this summer he'd be that for us. Pogba I think the reason he got so much stick was because he was supposed to be that.

How about Mata?
For me Mata was one of those players at Chelsea. Unfortunately for him we've been terrible since he joined us.

Players like Sanchez or Messi, Ronaldo etc can lift a whole team, they can take a match by the scruff of the neck. Mata isn't one of those players, but as part of a well gelled unit, he's incredible. Mentally he's as good as any player I've seen, him movement, positioning, link play. Look how he was brilliant on the right for us under LvG. A lot of that was because Herrera was just as clever and they could move the ball quickly and create. Teams hate facing players like that.

idmanager

If the OP wanted to know if we have a player in the CR/Messi/Hazard/Neymar/Bale mould, he didn't need to start a new thread. You don't need to be Einstein to know that.

CR won Real the UCL final, Fellaini won us the Europa final. It was one way traffic towards him. Ajax would have had a better game if not for him. He might not be in the first X1 next season, but don't expect him to be out of Jose's plans anytime soon. Even during LvG's first season, it was Fellaini on the left side of the 3 man MF with Young on the wings that finally gave us a decent formation and a good run towards the top 4. He does deserve a bit of credit considering all the hate he gets.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is he is one of the few players who always gives his 100% even with his limited skills. Either we have no one who the opposition fears as of now based on last season or its Fellaini. Period.

Reactions: Varun

izec

Pogba could be one, Mkhi or Martial too. As of now, Fellaini when we play long balls to him. For me it needs to be a striker/winger or advanced playmaker, someone with a real goal threat and world class. Griezmann for example

AgentP

12-13 Van Persie
13-14 No one
14-15 No one
15-16 Martial
16-17 Ibra

Both Martial and Ibra were dangerous for one season but were not consistent enough even for that whole season. We need a player who can keep doing it year after year. Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero, Kane have been brilliant for 3 or more years. We need that one player who can be the go-to guy whenever we are in trouble or need a breakthrough.

jungledrums

If the OP wanted to know if we have a player in the CR/Messi/Hazard/Neymar/Bale mould, he didn't need to start a new thread. You don't need to be Einstein to know that.

CR won Real the UCL final, Fellaini won us the Europa final. It was one way traffic towards him. Ajax would have had a better game if not for him. He might not be in the first X1 next season, but don't expect him to be out of Jose's plans anytime soon. Even during LvG's first season, it was Fellaini on the left side of the 3 man MF with Young on the wings that finally gave us a decent formation and a good run towards the top 4. He does deserve a bit of credit considering all the hate he gets.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is he is one of the few players who always gives his 100% even with his limited skills. Either we have no one who the opposition fears as of now based on last season or its Fellaini. Period.
State an opinion like it's fact, love it.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city

Pogba and Herrera are way more feared than fellaini.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I personally think a lot of opposing forwards will be scared of Jones for his sheer clumsiness, like he could fall on you, or headbutt you in the knee or something

Seasidered

Based on last season i cant think of one player in our squad that would strike fear in our rivals.Plenty of good players but we dont have any world class players.
I would say Zlatan was the player i would be most worried about as an opposition manager.It would be interesting what fans on this site that do not support united think.
The players from opposition teams i would fear most would be Sanchez, Hazard, Ali, Kane, Aguero, De Bruyne
I would put Mane and Coutinho a bracket below them players but they have the potential to just as potent.
I cant think of one player in our squad in an attacking sense that is more dangerous than the players from opposition teams i have mentioned.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
De Gea is always a nightmare to play against. He's always got a few worldies in his locker.

Hawks2008

Idk if rival teams and managers are scared of us, but rival fans certainly aren't.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rashford's pace certainly worries teams
Pogba is afforded very little time on the ball
Martial often is double/triple teamed

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
As an opposition fan. No. There's nobody that I 'fear' on Uniteds team.

Zlatan came closest recently. But that doesn't mean you don't have good players, I mean realistically when was the last time you had a player that everybody feared? Ronaldo?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
As an opposition fan. No. There's nobody that I 'fear' on Uniteds team.

Zlatan came closest recently. But that doesn't mean you don't have good players, I mean realistically when was the last time you had a player that everybody feared? Ronaldo?
Van Persie surely? Also I'd say Rooney during 09/10.

Wazza4Gaffa

People listing Pogba Rashford Martial Herrera Fellaini. I guess there are about 50 players in the league that people fear if thats the standards.

Realistically Id say there are only two players that are feared because they can create goals out of nothing and thats Hazard and Sanchez.

Sancehz is the closest thing we have in this league to a 1 man band. He can literally score or create chances at any point for his team.

Hazard is the player who can win the league for his team with his penetrating dribbles and goals.

Only guys who come close or used to strike fear are Rooney, Aguero, Toure, and Silva.

We need an rvn

Pogba perhaps next season. I'd never say Herrera is feared. Respected yes, but not feared like scholes or Keane were in central mid for us.

Do think next season when mourinho gets a few more of his players in we will see a more potent pogba and mhiki will start to influence more too.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
The most feared man in Manchester United is Jose Mourinho, no one else.

The No.10!

Doubt it. I can't remember the last time an opposition tweaked its tactics to counter us.

In a way, it seems like Mourinho is building an attack of that manner, where there is not just a single player who other teams can target, ala Hazard, but a number of little starlets going about their job. (Not sure how much success this might bring, though!)

idmanager

You mean more adaptable to most football teams and better CMs and not feared, right? Neither of them had that sort of a season where the opposition would have feared about them. Sure, Herrera had a great season in relative terms, but I can't imagine any opposition manager going 'Guys, unless we shut Herrera/Pogba down, we don't have a chance'. They have not performed at that level yet to instill fear. Which is why I said, we have no such players. Unless you are of the Iniesta/Kroos levels, CM's are not going to fear you. You play to nullify the system, not the player in most cases.

Not that Fellaini is feared in all games, but its not tough to imagine at least a few managers saying 'Guys, Jose is going to hoof it up to Fellaini and unless we win a good amount of aerial duels against him, we will be in trouble.' Sadly, Fellaini is a system on his own.

Last edited:

AgentP

Doubt it. I can't remember the last time an opposition tweaked its tactics to counter us.

In a way, it seems like Mourinho is building an attack of that manner, where there is not just a single player who other teams can target, ala Hazard, but a number of little starlets going about their job. (Not sure how much success this might bring, though!)
Dortmund, Monaco, Liverpool and even Bayern have managed to build teams that don't depend on a single player. But for this to work, the team should have a fluid system where they are able to create a number of chances every game with clever movement and great understanding between the players. Jose can do that for us. He just needs a bit more time.

Zoo

Nope there are few and IMO only Hazard truly has that fear factor currently in the PL.

idmanager

Nope there are few and IMO only Hazard truly has that fear factor currently in the PL.
Hazard and Sanchez. I would actually put Sanchez ahead of Hazard. We should sign Sanchez just for this thread to not look embarassing.

CM

Martial should be that man but Mourinho doesn't seem to rate him

RedCurry

Start getting Martial more involved in the final third with an overlapping fullback and I am certain that he'll become the player that everyone fears. Our attackers won't be feared if most of their sprinting is done towards our own goal no matter who we have in the squad.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
You mean more adaptable to most football teams and better CMs and not feared, right? Neither of them had that sort of a season where the opposition would have feared about them. Sure, Herrera had a great season in relative terms, but I can't imagine any opposition manager going 'Guys, unless we shut Herrera/Pogba down, we don't have a chance'. They have not performed at that level yet to instill fear. Which is why I said, we have no such players. Unless you are of the Iniesta/Kroos levels, CM's are not going to fear you. You play to nullify the system, not the player in most cases.

Not that Fellaini is feared in all games, but its not tough to imagine at least a few managers saying 'Guys, Jose is going to hoof it up to Fellaini and unless we win a good amount of aerial duels against him, we will be in trouble.' Sadly, Fellaini is a system on his own.
Pobga is a physical specimen with amazing technique and Ander is a pest with crazy stamina. Both of them especially Pogba have to be accounted for. The opposition team is more worried about them freeing up Fellaini