Does Martial slot straight back in?

RashyForPM

Just to clarify to prevent people saying I’m turning on Martial already, I’m a massive Martial fan, but after his show of petulance against Spurs, his sending off has debatably been a blessing in disguise. Our performance against Newcastle was our best of the PL season and saw us have the most shots of any team so far with 28 in what seems to be the highest scoring start to a PL season ever. Then, he got reinstated and was the worst of the best last night (admittedly, the other 10 were sensational, played like SAF’s 2006-09 team, and that isn’t an exaggeration), scoring an own goal in the process.

To add to that, Martial has played 4 games this season and has scored 0 goals, and hasn’t looked like scoring in any of those games bar last night when Bruno almost squared to him. In fact, if we’re being honest, he hasn’t played well in any, although he was alright last night. Essentially, Martial’s sending off, while we wouldn’t have lost 1-6 if it didn’t happen, could somewhat be and was already in regards to the Newcastle game a blessing in disguise. Especially if we put in another class attacking performance against Chelsea without him, then why should he return instantly?

In short, does Martial make your team against Leipzig and then Istanbul Başakşehir? No for me, unless the performance against Chelsea is horrendous, which I hope and believe it won’t be as Ole and the lads clearly look very confident now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of course he does. He'll be fine. Just starting off slowly which happens. But it's not like we're loaded with front 3 players! Rashford is better playing off of a main striker, Cavani has barely played in the last year and has had like 3 days of training in the last 7 months, Greenwood is 19 and having his own issues. Martial will be fine and show his quality again soon enough. His hold up play was excellent today anyway.

RashyForPM

Of course he does. He'll be fine. Just starting off slowly which happens. But it's not like we're loaded with front 3 players! Rashford is better playing off of a main striker, Cavani has barely played in the last year and has had like 3 days of training in the last 7 months, Greenwood is 19 and having his own issues. Martial will be fine and show his quality again soon enough. His hold up play was excellent today anyway.
Good point, but Fred, McTominay and Fernandes have made themselves surefire starters for Chelsea and Leipzig for their recent brilliant form. Then you have Mata and VdB playing well and Pogba and Greenwood itching to get back in. I don’t think it’ll be easy for Martial.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good point, but Fred, McTominay and Fernandes have made themselves surefire starters for Chelsea and Leipzig for their recent brilliant form. Then you have Mata and VdB playing well and Pogba and Greenwood itching to get back in. I don’t think it’ll be easy for Martial.
It shouldn't be easy for anyone! But you can't play all midfielders, we need those direct attackers and it can't be all on Rashford. Need the cutting edge so at the very least, barring an injury crisis, it'll always be 2 of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood or Cavani starting in the attack. Given Cavani's situation id bet he'll be more squad player/impact sub, while Greenwood will rotate with the main 2, but Martial and Rashford are very much the main 2.

RashyForPM

It shouldn't be easy for anyone! But you can't play all midfielders, we need those direct attackers and it can't be all on Rashford. Need the cutting edge so at the very least, barring an injury crisis, it'll always be 2 of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood or Cavani starting in the attack. Given Cavani's situation id bet he'll be more squad player/impact sub, while Greenwood will rotate with the main 2, but Martial and Rashford are very much the main 2.
I’d hope it’d be that as they showed last season how electric they can be when playing well and in tandem. However, Martial is not in-form right now. How long will we wait for him to regain form before giving players who are playing better a chance?

RikRuud

An in-form Martial might have bagged a brace today. He's rusty but put in a great shift until he started to get tired.

Theonas

Scout
I don't think there is such a thing as surefire starters this season. We have a game every three days up until February. All of them PL or CL games except a quarter final game in the Europa league. There is no way we, or any other team really can have surefire starters this season.

el3mel

For now he's our best option in striker position till we see Cavani then we can judge more. One thing I'm sure about is that the competition between him and Cavani will bring the best out of both and all great for the team!

Red_toad

To add to that, Martial has played 4 games this season and has scored 0 goals, and hasn’t looked like scoring in any of those games bar last night when Bruno almost squared to him.
Slotted away a lovely header last night, did you miss it?
He’ll lose his place if he doesn’t step up, hopefully it’ll inspire him and not cause a sulk and the Caf tearing itself apart with his fans not accepting he isn’t essential to the team.

RashyForPM

Slotted away a lovely header last night, did you miss it?
He’ll lose his place if he doesn’t step up, hopefully it’ll inspire him and not cause a sulk and the Caf tearing itself apart with his fans not accepting he isn’t essential to the team.
:lol:

Honestly though, after his 4 games so far this season, if we put in another class attacking performance against Chelsea, the same guys must play against Leipzig. I’ve no problem with the Martial FC guys as I love Martial (some seem to love him more than the team though, strange), but if his performances continue in the same vein, he must be dropped.

Trex

If we continue with two up front he's got competition coming, Rashford has got four already,He really needs to get going because Cavani doesn't look like the kind of character that would settle for a squad role and Greenwood is the most clinical forward we've got

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's had a real strange start to the season. Hasn't even had a shot on target yet, but has won two penalties with sharp play in the box. Yesterday's OG was annoying but I actually liked his reaction. He looked utterly disappointed in himself and seemed to work harder after it, like he wanted to make amends. All that sounds obvious, I know, but it hasn't always been Martial's way.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Martial will never be a long term success as a number 9 for us simply because he seems to pick and choose when he's going to give everything for the team. He's the type of player I can't get excited about no matter how his short term form is because I just know sooner or later he will get comfortable and get complacent.