Does the emerging Marcus Rashford spell the end of James Wilson?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I knew this thread would piss me off.

Wilson isn't good enough.
If you are good enough, you will play.
If you are not good enough, you won't play.
Does anybody in this forum truly believe that Wilson should be part of a title winning team?
If he fulfills his potential; absolutely.

Oo0AahCantona

I've never thought he was good enough, thought the same with Blackett and Mcnair. Sometimes the aura of a youth product influences opinion beyond bias. If he was an arsenal youth product i doubt we would be bigging him up to make a claim in the first team.

marlowe78

Too soon to tell, I think. He never looked particularly good in the chances he got those last two seasons but we were playing mostly tumescent stuff and wasn't able to use his attributes that much, primarily his speed. There were also situations late in games where the opening up of play would've been perfect for him but LVG didn't play him.

I don't think there is room in the squad for him right now, assuming that all of the strikers stay healthy - always a big 'if' for us. I would loan him to a club like West Brom or Swansea where he could get a chance to play, with a clause for immediate recall in place. I would not keep him at Brighton because I assume they would be struggling to produce any kind of attack in their first season up.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At 20 years of age:

Andy Cole was released by Arsenal and went to Bristol City.

RVN was at Den Bosch in the Dutch second division.

Dwight Yorke just made his debut for Villa as a right winger.

OGS was playing for Clausenengen in the Norwegian second division.

I can understand those who just don't think Wilson has the talent. That's a matter of opinion. However those believe he should have already done X or Y at this point in his career are talking nonsense. He's barely got going and as you can see, some of the greatest strikers we've ever had were hardly prodigious at 20.
RVN, Cole, Yorke - at age 20, none of these were considered MUFC quality, so why should Wilson be given a chance at MUFC?
He should be at a lesser club (loaned out). Learn his trade. Improve. Then, like the names mentioned above, he can force his way into our squad.
My understanding was that he was loaned to Brighton FC and he was average.

Fans need to start raising expectations. I can see the damage which Moyes/LVG did have lowered expectations of some, to such an extent that they believe a player like Wilson is good enough to play for our first team (or warm the bench).
I shall remind you. In 1999, our main strikers: Yorke/Cole. Bench: Sherringham/Solkjaer. Martial would not have made the bench that year...let alone Wilson!

Dobbs

RVN, Cole, Yorke - at age 20, none of these were considered MUFC quality, so why should Wilson be given a chance at MUFC?
He should be at a lesser club (loaned out). Learn his trade. Improve. Then, like the names mentioned above, he can force his way into our squad.
My understanding was that he was loaned to Brighton FC and he was average.

Fans need to start raising expectations. I can see the damage which Moyes/LVG did have lowered expectations of some, to such an extent that they believe a player like Wilson is good enough to play for our first team (or warm the bench).
I shall remind you. In 1999, our main strikers: Yorke/Cole. Bench: Sherringham/Solkjaer. Martial would not have made the bench that year...let alone Wilson!
Read my post again, I didn't say he should be given first team opportunities and I agree he needs another loan.

I was questioning those who believe he should have already achieved this or that. Using some of the legendary forwards we've had to show that plenty of great players aren't doing all that much at 20.

Dante

Average bang
huh? maybe I should have gone to specsavers but Wilson looks like a wisp to me, Rashford looks like he could build up a bit more but is a strong lad
I've seen them both in the flesh. Wilson has freakishly broad shoulders. Like, weirdly wide. If he fills out, he'll be a monster. Rashford is relatively normal, by comparison.

Denis79

Mourinho has not picked him in the pre season tour squad. Looks like hes getting sold. I feel sorry for the lad but he has been given a couple of chances and done very little with them.