Does the upcoming (Bayern - PSG) UCL final represent something more

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Whether it’s a new team who are living their wildest fantasy like Spurs last year or a team with money pumped into them like PSG. Everyone has their own story every year.

The reason Man United are the most supported team in the world is our story of how we became a top club is the greatest and most romantic despite the fact we’ve got a fraction of Real Madrid’s CL titles we are arguable a bigger club because of the adoration that comes from the story.

Clubs like PSG and Man City aren’t good for the game in my opinion because of how manufactured it is but it at least allows for a new team to come along and have a crack at this great competition.

jesperjaap

Would love a Bayern meltdown tbh.
I think the final will be a meltdown for one of the two sides. I actually think its going to be a really one sided final, but could be either way. Bayern really are not as hot as they are being cracked up to me, fantastic record but look at Barcelona and even Lyon this evening. Ferdinand was right about that high line could cost them, both sides created plenty of chances the first 15minutes of the game against them.

Alaba and Davies may be lightning quick, they dont make up ground on Mbappe though if they get caught out like they have other sides. I can see a 3/4-0 victory, but could literally be either way. A goal in the first 25mins for either side and I can see them going on to crush the other side potentially, that is what makes the game intriuiging for me.

Not really bothered about the "buying" it argument. There are several sides in Europe like that, though its more horrific than before, you can go back years and there were similar scenarios Lazio, Blackburn, different levels but hardly a new thing

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Let's not go down that road, nobody takes money from fans pockets, they purchase services and goods they are never forced to purchase. And the vast majority of the money comes from manufacturers and service providers who pay for advertisement time, people purchase Nivea's products or the new Ford Kuga and use football games to do so, it's not clubs taking money from fans but from people using their image.
How much do PL fans have to pay to get all the PL games + CL on TV in the UK?

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Incredibly petty and I doubt the winner would care one iota.
No...the single game knockout means they aren't worthy champions!!

Just ignore that the format they are using right now has been used in most years of the competition's history. Those also don't count.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Whether it’s a new team who are living their wildest fantasy like Spurs last year or a team with money pumped into them like PSG. Everyone has their own story every year.

The reason Man United are the most supported team in the world is our story of how we became a top club is the greatest and most romantic despite the fact we’ve got a fraction of Real Madrid’s CL titles we are arguable a bigger club because of the adoration that comes from the story.

Clubs like PSG and Man City aren’t good for the game in my opinion because of how manufactured it is but it at least allows for a new team to come along and have a crack at this great competition.
So Milan and Juventus weren't good for the game? And the reason United are supported that much is because it was the most successful club in the 90s when the PL started broadcasting abroad. It has nothing to do with the romanticized version that you imagine. For the same reason, Barcelona became a lot more popular in the last 15 years due to their success.

Last edited:

Suedesi

So Milan and Juventus weren't good for the game? And the reason United are supported that much is because it was the most successful in the 90s when the PL started broadcasting abroad. It has nothing to do with the romanticized version that you imagine. For the same reason, Barcelona became a lot more popular in the last 15 years due to their success.
Correct

macheda14

No, I'd actually be devastated that @macheda14 would put an asterisk to it. Would totally ruin the 35 years waiting for this title to come to Paris.
Haha I’m joking because of all our fans saying Liverpool would be asterisk FC even though they would have fully deserved it

hubbuh

So Milan and Juventus weren't good for the game? And the reason United are supported that much is because it was the most successful club in the 90s when the PL started broadcasting abroad. It has nothing to do with the romanticized version that you imagine. For the same reason, Barcelona became a lot more popular in the last 15 years due to their success.
Yep.

Offside

United had a vast worldwide support in the 70’s and 80’s when they were shite.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Neuer €30m Schalke
Davies €10m (max €18m with add-ons) Vancouver
Alaba €150k Austria Wien
Boateng €13.5m Manchester City
Kimmich €8.5m Stuttgart
Thiago €25m Barcelona
Goretzka 0m
Perisic €5m (loan) Inter
Müller 0m
Gnabry €8m Werder Bremen
Lewandowski 0m

So less than half a Neymar.
Lewandowski on a free. Amazing. Although I admit to bias as a city fan and seeing teams dismantled for years. Does anyone really think Bayern's transfer strategy a few years back of getting star players to run down their contracts is healthier for the game than PSG spending a fortune on them.

(Sorry for directing the reply at you BTW, I just wanted to talk about your well organised post.)

JPRouve

Scout
United had a vast worldwide support in the 70’s and 80’s when they were shite.
No, they didn't. Football wasn't international in the 70s and 80s, national games were barely on TV and not everyone had a TV anyway. European teams were only broadcasted for European competitions and it was only a few games in the year. United had a large support in the UK and probably in the colonies but that's it. Other football countries were focused on their own clubs and had little idea about what was happening or not happening in foreign clubs. And it's actually pretty easy to see it today, United vast support is in none historical football nations, mainly in Asia and Africa where the mass definitely didn't had TV in the 70s and 80s.

Revan

Assumptionman
Simple as that. People have put this imaginary belief in their hand that it is about the Busby babes or some other story. In truth, if we sucked in the nineties, we would not have been near as much as supported as we are now, even with the same story. Same as how Torino has like 4 fans outside of Torino despite their amazing story.

Manny

Grammar Police
I hope Bayern smash them. How could anyone want PSG to win

Handré1990

Can understand the notion, must be annoying, a club that makes almost no mistakes *cough* Kovac *cough* Ancelotti *cough* Sanches

Still Bayern play as a team, PSG only occasionally so. Bayern may lose this final, but a meltdown - not gonna happen.
Very true about playing as a team. Hope you thrash them!

JPRouve

Scout
Simple as that. People have put this imaginary belief in their hand that it is about the Busby babes or some other story. In truth, if we sucked in the nineties, we would not have been near as much as supported as we are now, even with the same story. Same as how Torino has like 4 fans outside of Torino despite their amazing story.
Who outside of France support Saint-Etienne or Reims? I mean we have people that don't even realize that PSG was a thing in the 90s when they definitely had access to TVs and when european games were definitely on the radio. George Weah won the Ballon d'Or in 95 spending most that year with PSG before joining Milan.

Morpheus 7

Great final. The 2 best teams in the world presently. Should be quite the spectacle.
It should be a good open final, PSG aren't not the first or second best team in Europe in my opinion. They have had some favourable draws to get there. If they beat Bayern then fair play. Liverpool, City and even United would beat this Psg side. I hope Bayern take down the oil barons for the good of the game.

Offside

No, they didn't. Football wasn't international in the 70s and 80s, national games were barely on TV and not everyone had a TV anyway. European teams were only broadcasted for European competitions and it was only a few games in the year. United had a large support in the UK and probably in the colonies but that's it. Other football countries were focused on their own clubs and had little idea about what was happening or not happening in foreign clubs. And it's actually pretty easy to see it today, United vast support is in none historical football nations, mainly in Asia and Africa where the mass definitely didn't had TV in the 70s and 80s.
Yes, they did. Obviously the support has grown massively in the PL era as you say but United still had millions of fans worldwide and were the most famous club in England in the 1980's despite the fact they'd had no success for years. I remember reading something about the number of worldwide supporters clubs the club had around the time Sharp became the shirt sponsor.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought about that a long time ago. What will the sheikh do if PSG wins? Emboldened by the victory will he want to redouble his efforts, or once that they are established in the elite, and with the grand prize, he will "relax"?

I also wonder about what Mbappé would feel losing or winning, but that's for another thread.
Regarding my preferences for the final, I'm going with PSG.
There are quite a few things that I don't like, the club's methods or the player's celebrations, but I think it's okay for football to open up a bit.

27 years since the last french winner in the European Cup.
The fans and the city are crazy for some glory.
I really enjoyed Bayern tearing apart Barcelona but I've seen Bayern always as the big enemy.I just can't wish for their success, besides I think I am more excited about PSG football

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Anyone else get a old aristocracy vs new money vibe from this game? Bayern are the consumate footballing powerhouse. Legends of the game have made their name with the club. It has dominated Europe in the past. But they are also a monarchial bully, cherry picking the best talents in their league.

PSG are the new money. The California Gold rush of football clubs. It didn't even exist when some of Bayern's legends played for it. But here it is.

It has been in the making for a while now. But is this something more or am I reading something more into it.
Never knew PSG was founded in 1970.
That was when the likes of Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Maier, Uli Hoeness were smashing everyone in Europe.

Normally I would enjoy some new club winning but in the case of PSG, absolutely not.
PSG is pretty much the worst club in football.

Bayern on the other hand I have great respect for.

stevoc

First time since 1998 two reigning Champions face each other in the final.
What do you mean by reigning champions?

Real and Juve were the reigning champions of their respective countries going into the 2016/17 final.

Pretty sure it was the same in 2015, 2011, 2009 and 1999.

JPRouve

Scout
Never knew PSG was founded in 1970.
That was when the likes of Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Maier, Uli Hoeness were smashing everyone in Europe.

Normally I would enjoy some new club winning but in the case of PSG, absolutely not.
PSG is pretty much the worst club in football.

Bayern on the other hand I have great respect for.
That's not totally correct. 1970 is the date of the merger between the football section of the Stade Saint Germanois and the Paris FC, a few years latter they split but the Stade Saint Germanois kept the name PSG while the Paris FC took his former name. The PSG was the football side of the Stade Saint Germanois who is a multisport club.

Revan

Assumptionman
It should be a good open final, PSG aren't not the first or second best team in Europe in my opinion. They have had some favourable draws to get there. If they beat Bayern then fair play. Liverpool, City and even United would beat this Psg side. I hope Bayern take down the oil barons for the good of the game.
Any team can defeat any team by definition, but they are quite better than us.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't understand how you can say with such certainty that City or even us would beat this PSG side.

The same City side who've been inconsistent all season and while we've trended upwards lately, we're still a work in progress.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hope Bayern win, they'll also move above Liverpool on the all the list, what's not to like.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Sorry, this is total horseshit.

Football fandom has exploded globally in the last 30 years, reaching numbers that were previously unimaginable. While United was obviously a massive club previously relative to other clubs, this was a time when hardly anybody in East Asia, Africa, or many other major parts of the world were meaningfully exposed to European club football. United's current global level of support is like 90% due to SAF's amazing success during a period when the Premier League was by far the most globally visible club football competition and 10% due to everything that came beforehand. The majority of people worldwide owning a United kit probably think the Busby Babes were a girl band. That's not a knock on United, its just the way football support works. Most people are casual supporters drawn in by what they've seen on TV and what clubs their friends and family support.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Supporting PSG here, both for the players (their front three is easily the best in the world right now, plus a number of stars and semi-stars looking for european graduation as a career achievement) and for the face of Abu Dhabis if Qatari cousins wins the trophy. :D

macheda14

Neuer €30m Schalke
Davies €10m (max €18m with add-ons) Vancouver
Alaba €150k Austria Wien
Boateng €13.5m Manchester City
Kimmich €8.5m Stuttgart
Thiago €25m Barcelona
Goretzka 0m
Perisic €5m (loan) Inter
Müller 0m
Gnabry €8m Werder Bremen
Lewandowski 0m

So less than half a Neymar.
Oh god you look at that and that’s really depressing in comparison to how much we have spent. Although you could easily argue that transfers across German clubs are so much cheaper than across English clubs. It’s very unlikely for you to buy a potentially good player for less than 10 mill (apart from like Robertson, but even then those days seem to have passed)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was like anyone but City and PSG for CL title during QF but now I don't mind them winning. It will be good to see different team winning it and more importantly club from different league winning it.

Also for all the shit Neymar gets, it will be an awesome reply.

I think Bayern will be favourites but their highline and Mbappe pace means PSG will always have good chance.

Icemav

Well if PSG beat Bayern then they might sneak into the top 5. Lets see.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I still prefer Bayern to win it. Also this seems to be Lewa' year. The stars are aligned for him. With or without the don Balon.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I only want PSG to win it if Sheikh Al Thani lifts the trophy. We can all be proud of that.

Righteous Steps

Says who? It’s always funny to see people talk about things they don’t know, but I’ll tell you In the 70’s and 80’s my uncles aunties and co were very much aware of the big football teams and musicians in the States and UK, this is partly due to tv so to say that as its wrong, people in Europe overstate these two continents lack of development.

And also a country like Nigerian or Ghana have been playing football since the 30’s so I don’t know what you mean by historical football nation.

Hawks2008

PSG winning makes sense given it is 2020 and good things don't happen this year.

Hope Bayern put them to the sword, PSG winning would vindicate state backed sportswashing.

DarkLord

So Neymar could possibly be banned for the final because he swapped his jersey with a Leipzig player which is apparantely against UEFA's rules. :lol: