Does Wayne Rooney deserve a statue outside Old Trafford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Please keep aside his form for the past two seasons.

Now, taking the rest of his career into account, the titles that he has won with us, all those moments of brilliance, taking his longevity into account, taking his willingness to adapt to the team requirements into account, taking into consideration that he gives his 100% every single time he's on the pitch, taking the amount of respect he still seems to generate from players and managers alike - does he deserve a statue given his status as a legend? Why, or why not?

We don't want him in the first XI now, if we can we would like to reduce his wages or offload him to another club. That is the more recent effects of his decline. Let's keep that out of this discussion.

Edit: Mods, a poll, please?

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
No. He courted City. He questioned the clubs ambitions.
Absolutely not.

Imo any player that has a statue at Old Trafford should be a legend that has to the club into his heart and been basically a fan on the field.
I would argue the fantastic four of Giggs Scholes Keane And Beckham should deserve it more

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
For me Statues are for players entangled with the Mythos of Manchester United. Wayne won't be, which is a shame as I don't think he wants to be anywhere else and he does have true love for the club but he wasn't able to renegotiate any of his contracts with out killing off the mutual feeling. The class of 92 would be a good one.

Billy Blaggs

For me Statues are for players entangled with the Mythos of Manchester United. Wayne won't be, which is a shame as I don't think he wants to be anywhere else and he does have true love for the club but he wasn't able to renegotiate any of his contracts with out killing off the mutual feeling. The class of 92 would be a good one.
For me its the four. They were the absolute epitome of all those great 90s teams that bring back glory to our club after finally breaking the hold Liverpool had on the league . Add to each one having a grip on some part of the 99 season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Absolutely not.

Imo any player that has a statue at Old Trafford should be a legend that has to the club into his heart and been basically a fan on the field.
I would argue the fantastic four of Giggs Scholes Keane And Beckham should deserve it more
Whilst I agree with you Dennis Law did score against us for City that part sent us down.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Please keep aside his form for the past two seasons.
Why?

Now, taking the rest of his career into account, the titles that he has won with us,
Plenty have more.

all those moments of brilliance, taking his longevity into account,
You just told us to forget two of his years. That's nearly 20% of his career with us.

taking his willingness to adapt to the team requirements into account,
He wasn't willing, he never had a choice. Better players played ahead of him for his favoured roles. Just like now.

He kicked off about it then saying "there comes a time when you have to be selfish" and he's moaning about it now saying "there comes a time you have to be selfish".

taking into consideration that he gives his 100% every single time he's on the pitch
He was a street footballer with a tonne of energy and aggression, he now shuffles around the field failing to press the opposition, meandering into benign positions.

taking the amount of respect he still seems to generate from players and managers alike
He's got loads of mates. So has Joey Essex.

does he deserve a statue given his status as a legend? Why, or why not?
Maybe one day but not before Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson, Solskjaer, Cantona or Irwin to name a few.

We don't want him in the first XI now,
I'd take his statue over him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wayne Rooney doesn't have true love for the club.

Lawman

It didn't matter in the end and in fairness, he broke down crying when he did. Pretty easy to see where his heart was.
Lol yeah I totally agree with you on this and just playing a bit devils advocate "but Rooney didn't play for City". Law did and he has a statue so Rooney thinking of playing for City if he really did should not be criteria for him not getting a statue. In the end I think there are players who merit it more so not that bothered that he's not.

Lawman

Why?

Plenty have more.

You just told us to forget two of his years. That's nearly 20% of his career with us.

He wasn't willing, he never had a choice. Better players played ahead of him for his favoured roles. Just like now.

He kicked off about it then saying "there comes a time when you have to be selfish" and he's moaning about it now saying "there comes a time you have to be selfish".

He was a street footballer with a tonne of energy and aggression, he now shuffles around the field failing to press the opposition, meandering into benign positions.

He's got loads of mates. So has Joey Essex.

Maybe one day but not before Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Robson, Solskjaer, Cantona or Irwin to name a few.

I'd take his statue over him.
Feck me Pexbo are you a lawyer?? That was awesome lol

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No.

Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Keane, Beckham, any or all of them but not Rooney.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Absolutely not. Rooney has plenty of love - for himself - not United.

We don't have a statue of the great Jimmy Murphy who dragged us through after Munich whilst Sir Matt was recovering and the club was on its knees - he kept his head and never gave up on United. So why on earth would Rooney deserve what that great man hasn't been given?

Besides, there are far more deserving ex players who, apart from their achievements with us - actually gave a shit about the club.

Billy Blaggs

If say only Giggs truly deserves one but his accomplishments were only made possible but the players around him. That's why I'd have the four.
If Ferguson as a manager has one then the greatest (subjective I know) player under him should have one too

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Also, if you can always exclude a selected amount of seasons from a players’ career when judging him, there’d be many more legends. Football doesn’t really work that way.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Absolutely not.

He deserves it more than Beckham IMO.

BocaJuniors

How many bloody statues do you want? Old Trafford is going to look ridiculous with numerous stayed all over the place.

ants7

Gandalf the White would have never suggested this.

But I agree with what esmufc07 said.

MounchesterUtd

Seeing a lot of responses about Giggs here. Probably better off in another thread, but not entirely sure if it was asked before. Does Giggs really deserve a statue considering what we know about him now? I'd argue that Best's alcoholism and domestic violence is still the lesser evil compared to repeatedly cucking your own brother.

Surely if some people can ignore what Giggs did, Rooney deserves a pass for the alleged transfer requests?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.