Dominoes draft: R1 - Cal? vs green_smiley

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuppet

cal?

VS
green_smiley

TACTIC

Cal?

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Defensive Line: Moderate-high

We'll be looking to dominate the game, the opposition has a number of decent DMs but no real creator to provide chances for the strikers.

One of the best keeper in Van der Sar, behind 2 modern greats in Nesta and Kompany, who both have the tactical understanding to cover the high line that we'll be deploying for this game and the pace to deal with Weah.

With the legendary Cafu ruling the right side, Pessoto will be detailed to tuck in to deal with any threat from their right wing.

Hierro and Alaba should be able to provide the defensive cover in midfield whilst providing the passes to the impressive array to talents upfront.

Ahead of them, Sandro Mazzola is widely regarded as one of the greatest Italian football players of all time, and as one of the best players of his generation, due to his speed, work-rate, creativity, technical skills and eye for goal. Cantona, well, King Eric doesn't need any introduction here.

On the right, Hoeneß, whose career was tragically cut short at 27, but he had already won the World Cup, the Euro and 3 European Cups as a key part of the Germany/Bayern team.

Finally, Gerd Müller, possible the best strikers in the game ever, with a goal to game ratio of 1.10 for Germany, for comparison, Messi's ratio is 0.50 for Argentina.

Why we'll win: frankly, the better team. Whilst the opponent has an impressive defense, Eric Abidal is a weak link, and my right sided players in Cafu and Hoeneß are ideally placed to exploit that weakness. There also seems to be just many midfielders who's only job is to defend and creating little.

As long as we can isolate Weah and cut off the supply, they should pose little threat to my team.

green_smiley

Formation

4-3-3 winger with counter-attacking football

Tactics

Defenses
1) Iker Casillas (keeper) - world-class keeper with outstanding agility and shot-stopping.
  • His fantastic distribution will help to launch quick counter from the back
2) Claudio Gentile (right back-cum-centre back) - strong, tenacious and uncompromising defender
  • Man-mark closest opposition forward
3) Eric Abidal (attacking left back) - Strong and intelligent at the back with ability to go forward
  • Attacking phase: Push up to assist Giggs at given chances
4) Jurgen Kohler (stopper) - physically dominant (ground/air)
  • Man-mark closest opposition forward
5) Ernst Happel (defensive sweeper) - being recognized as world's first sweeper; excellent positioning, leadership, vision and tactical awareness
  • Compliments well with Kohler and Gentile
  • Defensive phase: Sweeps up any danger if opponent manages to breach the defensive line
  • Attacking phase: Initiate counter with long pass from the back

Midfields
6) Pep Guardiola (deep-lying playmaker) - creative, excellent vision, close control and passing range
  • Attacking phase: Set game tempo and create chances from deep in midfield
  • Defensive phase: Press opposition 10s
7) Gennaro Gattuso (ball-winning midfielder) - tenacious, combative
  • Compliments well with Guardiola
  • Breaks up opposition's attacks, winning the ball back for other attacking teammates
8) Rainer Bonhof (box-to-box midfielder) - midfield powerhouse, tireless, energetic
  • Provide relentless drive in midfield (bring the ball forward, long-range shooting, track back when opposition has the ball)

Forwards
9) George Weah (target man) - powerful physique, fierce shooting power and deadly finishing skills
  • Score goals
  • Create chances and assisting goals for teammates
10) Johnny Rep (right winger-cum-striker) - skillful, blistering pace and a cracking right foot
  • Stretch the play on the wing; or cut inside and score
11) Ryan Giggs (left winger) - excellent speed, agility and dribbling skill
  • Torment the left wing, especially with Abidal supporting behind

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Despite playing Santa Clause at the start, :lol: ended up with a solid side with no sheep. For Cal, I am not a fan of Alaba's position but that could just be biased based on Austria's poor side since whenever I have seen Alaba in midfield he has not impressed.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Despite playing Santa Clause at the start, :lol: ended up with a solid side with no sheep. For Cal, I am not a fan of Alaba's position but that could just be biased based on Austria's poor side since whenever I have seen Alaba in midfield he has not impressed.
I thought about 4-1-4-1, but that looks like it'll leave my team more exposed to quick counter-attack.

Alaba is there as a defensive midfielder and pass the ball to the attackers, a role he's more than capable of doing.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
So, in defensive phase:
  • Gentile will mark Mazzola
  • Kohler on Muller
  • Guardiola on Cantona
  • Abidal on Hoeness
  • Giggs is capable of tracking back as what he did with United
  • Pessoto not instruct to move up means there is less threat to my right hand side

And Kompany and Alaba is Cal? weak link ;)

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Eric Abidal is a weak link, and my right sided players in Cafu and Hoeneß are ideally placed to exploit that weakness. There also seems to be just many midfielders who's only job is to defend and creating little.

As long as we can isolate Weah and cut off the supply, they should pose little threat to my team.
Abidal is by no means a weak link. He is an excellent left back whom offers plenty in both offensive and defensive aspects

Guardiola as deep lying playmaker is capable of supplying defense-splitting passes to my forwards. Gattuso and Bonhof will provide the legs in midfield, allowing Guardiola to flourish. Bonhof himself is B2B and will play his role carrying the ball forward during attacking phase. Question is, who will stop Guardiola from creating chances for my team?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Alaba is a fecking eyesore at CM. Remember seeing him there for Austria and thinking he was the worst player in their side in some games, woefully out of depth in that position and unbelievable that he features there in an all-time pool draft. He's not even sheep quality in that position.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So, in defensive phase:
  • Gentile will mark Mazzola
  • Kohler on Muller
  • Guardiola on Cantona
  • Abidal on Hoeness
  • Giggs is capable of tracking back as what he did with United
  • Pessoto not instruct to move up means there is less threat to my right hand side

And Kompany and Alaba is Cal? weak link ;)
We'd be sitting on 21 if not for Kompany. :(

Abidal is by no means a weak link. He is an excellent left back whom offers plenty in both offensive and defensive aspects

Guardiola as deep lying playmaker is capable of supplying defense-splitting passes to my forwards. Gattuso and Bonhof will provide the legs in midfield, allowing Guardiola to flourish. Bonhof himself is B2B and will play his role carrying the ball forward during attacking phase. Question is, who will stop Guardiola from creating chances for my team?
In an all time draft, Abidal is a weak link, he's certainly no Cafu, especially if you expect him to both defend and attack, leaving swamps of space for Cafu and Hoeneß. ;)

Guardiola is a great manager, but an older day Xavi he was not.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Alaba is a fecking eyesore at CM. Remember seeing him there for Austria and thinking he was the worst player in their side in some games, woefully out of depth in that position and unbelievable that he features there in an all-time pool draft. He's not even sheep quality in that position.
He's a DM in my formation.

The real reason he's there is because I drunkenly picked him by mistake.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a DM in my formation.

The real reason he's there is because I drunkenly picked him by mistake.
Regardless. He's not cut out for it at any level let alone this. Shame I like your team otherwise in fact even with him I still think you might edge it but definitely if you get through replace him asap.

Mani

Cal? midfield letting him down, it lacks a player that can link his defense to front line, I don't think Alaba can do that role,otherwise this team is brilliant one.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Without a proper midfield, the supply to forwards will be reduced significantly, no matter how good the forwards are

Possession will be lost as well, and I imagine my team will control the game with relative ease

Enigma_87

You know who
Cal? midfield letting him down, it lacks a player that can link his defense to front line, I don't think Alaba can do that role,otherwise this team is brilliant one.
Yeah basically this. A team with lot of potential with the unfortunate inclusion of Alaba. With a proper B2B there in stead of Alaba and Hierro as a DLP would take this team to another level.

Have to give the edge to :lol: in this configuration tho.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I have to say I feel rather harshly done by in this draft. On multiple occasions people have made wrong picks (picking someone already taken, or picking someone not linked) and they were all allowed to re-pick with no penalty.

Yet when I picked Alaba, then realizing the mistake I made, I wasn't allowed to change my pick even though the person after me wasn't around at that time. :(

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I have to say I feel rather harshly done by in this draft. On multiple occasions people have made wrong picks (picking someone already taken, or picking someone not linked) and they were all allowed to re-pick with no penalty.

Yet when I picked Alaba, then realizing the mistake I made, I wasn't allowed to change my pick even though the person after me wasn't around at that time. :(
That sucks but if you pick an eligible player you can't unpick it. The others would have been ineligible. In the last No Mates Draft my second pick Cubillas played with Figueroa- I'd missed one stupid season in the MLS. It was a legit pick as I could field an eligible 11 at that point. I was tempted to break my own rules, delete the post and repick but if the draft master can't stick to the rules who can.

Deleted member 101472

@Cal? just had a quick chat with the draft overlords there and they’ll let you swap out alaba for Duncan Edwards so long as you go back and edit every time on the forum you’ve written the word “Ronaldo” and change it to “Messi”

Enigma_87

You know who
@Cal? just had a quick chat with the draft overlords there and they’ll let you swap out alaba for Duncan Edwards so long as you go back and edit every time on the forum you’ve written the word “Ronaldo” and change it to “Messi”
:lol::lol:

idmanager

Leaving the midfield battle and Alibaba aside, I don't think that front 4 is really functional or plays to anyone's strengths.
Do think Cal was unlucky with the picks. Of course, I do see 1 odd pick.
Picking Mazzola when you already have Cantona and especially when Luis Suarez is available to pick is a blunder IMO.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can't really envision how that front 6 would work. Great players but no chemistry.

Love the use of Bonhof by the way.

Enigma_87

You know who
Can't really envision how that front 6 would work. Great players but no chemistry.

Love the use of Bonhof by the way.

Perhaps Brazil 82?

---U.Hoeness-----G.Muller----
------Mazzola---Cantona-----
--------Alaba---Hierro-----

Hoeness is a perfect fit in Eder role (not sure why he's on the right here).

Obviously a better DM than Alaba is required.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
how do you know all these players from the draft? I know most of them to some degree but the likes of Hoeneß and Mazzola I just wouldn't have a clue on without reading up on them, are you all just some sort of uber football nerds?

idmanager

how do you know all these players from the draft? I know most of them to some degree but the likes of Hoeneß and Mazzola I just wouldn't have a clue on without reading up on them, are you all just some sort of uber football nerds?
This is the question it all starts with. Eventually you see yourselves being asked the same question in an year from someone else. Welcome to the trap, son!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Green_Smiley certainly wins the teamsheet contest. Capital letters, full names, plenty of arrows. Not only does Cal not do any of that, he's even got players with tiny names like 'Alaba' and 'Nesta' and 'Cafu', making the park look 300 yards long and 200 yards wide.

Deleted member 101472

This forum was able to completely create a Paraguayan attacking midfielder named valdivia and have him appear in archived YouTube videos.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Green_Smiley certainly wins the teamsheet contest. Capital letters, full names, plenty of arrows. Not only does Cal not do any of that, he's even got players with tiny names like 'Alaba' and 'Nesta' and 'Cafu', making the park look 300 yards long and 200 yards wide.
I always prefer when a teamsheet doesn't have all capital letters. Agree on full names, arrows etc., especially the gaps between the lines.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
All things considered and in all modesty, we are the elite of this forum.

Pedantic post I know ahhaha

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Most start off with next to zero knowledge...and as you play you pick up stuff. Some by reading threads, some by doing a bit of research (google search). If you are interested in previous era players, this is the best way to get to know them.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Perhaps Brazil 82?

---U.Hoeness-----G.Muller----
------Mazzola---Cantona-----
--------Alaba---Hierro-----

Hoeness is a perfect fit in Eder role (not sure why he's on the right here).

Obviously a better DM than Alaba is required.

• Swap Alaba with Pessotto, giving Alaba the reign as attacking left back. Not ideal for Pessotto as DM, but he should do a better job than Alaba there
  • Sub Cantona for Ceulemans, whom is a better fit as a 10
  • Swap Mazzola to the right, and Hoeness to the left
  • Muller is capable of tracking back and try to limit Guardiola's influence on the game
  • 2 DMs may excessive, but it should give a good platform for both attacking full backs and front 4. Hierro can also join the attack when needed

Enigma_87

You know who

• Swap Alaba with Pessotto, giving Alaba the reign as attacking left back. Not ideal for Pessotto as DM, but he should do a better job than Alaba there
  • Sub Cantona for Ceulemans, whom is a better fit as a 10
  • Swap Mazzola to the right, and Hoeness to the left
  • Muller is capable of tracking back and try to limit Guardiola's influence on the game
  • 2 DMs may excessive, but it should give a good platform for both attacking full backs and front 4. Hierro can also join the attack when needed
Forgot he also had Ceulemans. That's infinitely better.

The only thing is I'd swap Pessotto and Hierro, but much more coherent side for the voters as well methinks.