Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
These are state charges so no Feds involved
I'm fairly certain the US Marshals could arrest him if they wanted, but Trump will fly to NYC and surrender rather than getting arrested and perp walked.

Also, DeSantis has no authority to refuse to extradite Trump. He's bound by the Constitution to extradite Trump if Kathy Hochul seeks his extradition.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm fairly certain the US Marshals could arrest him if they wanted, but Trump will fly to NYC and surrender rather than getting arrested and perp walked.

Also, DeSantis has no authority to refuse to extradite Trump. He's bound by the Constitution to extradite Trump if Kathy Hochul seeks his extradition.
There will be some jostling between the Secret Service guys and the US Marshals to surround him!!!

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5, what the difference is between getting indicted and being arrested?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5, what the difference is between getting indicted and being arrested?
I think indictments from a Grand Jury are basically the same as charges from the police. They both represent formal accusations of specific offences that the law requires to be filed before taking someone to court. Arresting someone is somewhat different. It just means the act of depriving someone of their liberty by taking them into the custody of the police. Often an arrest warrant is a consequence of an indictment being filed or charges being brought but it's a separate part of the process. Indictments are the grounds you might base an arrest on. You might also be arrested under suspicion prior to being charged and then held while charges are sought.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think indictments from a Grand Jury are basically the same as charges from the police. They both represent formal accusations of specific offences that the law requires to be filed before taking someone to court. Arresting someone is somewhat different. It just means the act of depriving someone of their liberty by taking them into the custody of the police. Often an arrest warrant is a consequence of an indictment being filed or charges being brought but it's a separate part of the process. Indictments are the grounds you might base an arrest on. You might also be arrested under suspicion prior to being charged and then held while charges are sought.
Makes sense, thank you!

frostbite

This may not seem much, but it is huge actually. It is the first time an ex-president is indicted. We have now a precedent, so the next DA will not be scared to do the same thing. The next step will be an indictment in Georgia, which is much more serious for Trump. Georgia is largely conservative, so it would be hard for Georgia to be the first one to indict an ex-president. It is much easier now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yes, people are so entrenched in their support that this only strengthens it.
Trump hasn’t done anything to expand his base since 2016 & yesterday won’t win him any indies. This indictment certainly will galvanize his base, but their numbers wouldn’t propel him to victory.

frostbite

DeSantis show is just a meaningless promotion of himself, nothing else.

It would be very stupid for Trump to hide behind DeSantis, especially since the charges are actually minor. If he did that, then DeSantis would be the HERO and Trump would be the COWARD. It is impossible for Trump to accept that, it would be extremely damaging to his image.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This may not seem much, but it is huge actually. It is the first time an ex-president is indicted. We have now a precedent, so the next DA will not be scared to do the same thing. The next step will be an indictment in Georgia, which is much more serious for Trump. Georgia is largely conservative, so it would be hard for Georgia to be the first one to indict an ex-president. It is much easier now.
Yep. We are in uncharted territory right now as a nation, but yesterday gives a certain amount of cover to Smith & Willis.

Georgia is rather purple right now, can’t really call it ‘largely conservative’ when statewide elections occur, but, looking at it by land mass, you are correct as it is four blue islands swimming in a sea of red.

frostbite

Yep. We are in uncharted territory right now as a nation, but yesterday gives a certain amount of cover to Smith & Willis.

Georgia is rather purple right now, can’t really call it ‘largely conservative’ when statewide elections occur, but, looking at it by land mass, you are correct as it is four blue islands swimming in a sea of red.
Yes, you are right, but the Governor of Georgia is a Republican and the main election officers that were pressured by Trump are also Republicans (Brad Raffensperger and Gabriel Sterling). Republicans in Georgia are central to any charges against Trump. And they are human beings, they are worried about their safety, and the safety of their friends and family.

It is very different in New York.

Mike Smalling

I can’t help but feel like this will inevitably somehow help his re-election, no matter how obscene that seems.
I've seen a few commentators saying this will strengthen him in the primary against Meatball Ron, but weaken him in the general. Let's hope that's true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The right are whipping up a frenzy. The threat of extremists should be taken seriously.
Why on earth would you want to die on the Trump hill? If I were Republican, I would want him sent to the Gulag.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He just needs to come out of the closet and then Trump has nothing on him.
It’s so transparent he’s being blackmailed. The fact he’s not just gone on there and followed the same script as everyone else, he’s also grifting - pleading with people to donate directly to Trump.That’s definitely come off the back of a call with Trump shortly before.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s so transparent he’s being blackmailed. The fact he’s not just gone on there and followed the same script as everyone else, he’s also grifting - pleading with people to donate directly to Trump.That’s definitely come off the back of a call with Trump shortly before.
He's just pathetic. Dont know how he lives with himself. A life of deceit and regrets.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He just needs to come out of the closet and then Trump has nothing on him.
Is there some basis of your saying this? Presumably there's many crimes and other reasons than being gay that could be blackmail material, why do you think it's that he's gay?

MadMike

Trump hasn’t done anything to expand his base since 2016 & yesterday won’t win him any indies. This indictment certainly will galvanize his base, but their numbers wouldn’t propel him to victory.
If a conviction is secured it might have been worth it. His **** can’t propel him to victory but they are major shit stirrers. If Trump gets acquitted that will embolden and galvanise them and you could have another J6 next election.

Also from a Dem perspective it’s better facing Trump to facing De Santis. I’d argue the best thing for the country as a whole is that Trump loses another election, his political influence in the GOP wanes as a result and then he gets indicted.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If a conviction is secured it might have been worth it. His **** can’t propel him to victory but they are major shit stirrers. If Trump gets acquitted that will embolden and galvanise them and you could have another J6 next election.

Also from a Dem perspective it’s better facing Trump to facing De Santis. I’d argue the best thing for the country as a whole is that Trump loses another election, his political influence in the GOP wanes as a result and then he gets indicted.
Democrats now should be stoking the Trump vs De Santis fire. Get their bases entrenched and playing off against each other to the point that when the election comes they struggle to vote for the other.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Can you imagine the prosecution asking him about the ‘I could shoot someone on fifth Avenue’ line? It’s great with rhetoric and all, while you are riding high. i can think of other examples of words developing new meanings in the recycled air of a courtroom.

Tincanalley

The special council and the Georgia prosecutor must surely be in communication as to who is next in the queue?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’m quite enjoying my ‘For You’ Twitter thread tonight…

That's true. Julius Caesar famously paid to have sex with Pompey's wife, but because that wife also happened to be his daughter, he then tried to pay her off by doubling her allowance, but Pompey of course found out, because as a good Roman wife she gave all her allowance to her husband. Then some more stuff happened and Rome turned into an empire. On the bright side, this means Donald Trump will be stabbed 23 times in the senate.

But who's this scenario's Octavian? I doubt any of Trump's children are up for the job. DeSantis obviously thinks he is, but I think he'll turn out to be Lepidus instead. The problem is that all big political players in this race are fecking eejits.

Tincanalley

@Raoul, and other US watchers - a question, or a crystal ball exercise... Is this going to play as a) A divisive and destabilising period in US politics or b) A tiresome long-drawn out process, a series that goes on too long, sucked dry of drama?

I imagine that he may be 3/4 times indicted; in 12 months we will be enmeshed in appeals, etc. I suppose the election gives us a ticking clock. The Republican who oppose Trump have to tread a tightrope…I also can see CNN etc ratings benefit. From Twitter you would think he’s already behind bars? Can you help with the bigger picture? (The thread title, while funny and clever, doesn’t help).