g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The atmosphere here is that this might actually help him get reelected. This just goes to show how backward most Americans are. I still can't believe there are people out there who would vote for trump. What's even more frightening is that some would still vote for him in light of all this and this could gain him even more votes.
I don't think he'll gain from this. The MAGA mad folk will always vote for him, that will never change. They are signed up to the **** of personality, they will believe anything he says because he's a skilful demagogue and he knows what buttons to press.

There will also be people who voted for him reluctantly simply because he was the Republican candidate, but didn't much like him. This isn't going to make them think better of him, because they are probably normal people who just happen to be conservatives.

The people who voted for him first time and abandoned him the second time aren't going to come back, if he ends up the candidate. It's almost impossible to think that any undecided voter will now look at this circus and think "I should have voted for him last time, he's a stand-up guy."

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't think he'll gain from this. The MAGA mad folk will always vote for him, that will never change. They are signed up to the **** of personality, they will believe anything he says because he's a skilful demagogue and he knows what buttons to press.

There will also be people who voted for him reluctantly simply because he was the Republican candidate, but didn't much like him. This isn't going to make them think better of him, because they are probably normal people who just happen to be conservatives.

The people who voted for him first time and abandoned him the second time aren't going to come back, if he ends up the candidate. It's almost impossible to think that any undecided voter will now look at this circus and think "I should have voted for him last time, he's a stand-up guy."
Absolutely agree with this, swing voters decide US elections rather than partisan voters, it will be interesting to see polls looking at how they feel about the Trump circus. They abandoned him in 2020 and at the moment it doesn't look like this will convince them to return.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

That's kind of reassuring. I am wondering if the other probes are going to play out differently, though. It might seem to conservatives like a liberal legal system piling on poor Donald, and gain him a few sympathy votes.

Simbo

The atmosphere here is that this might actually help him get reelected. This just goes to show how backward most Americans are. I still can't believe there are people out there who would vote for trump. What's even more frightening is that some would still vote for him in light of all this and this could gain him even more votes.
Feels like this is the messaging team trump are pushing, trying to normalise it being ok to vote for a convicted criminal in people's minds.

The other narrative being pushed is how its a "sombre" day for America in the eyes of the world that a former President has been indicted. No you clowns, electing someone so obviously bent was that day. Fixing your mistakes is good day. There might be hope for America yet.

Simbo

The charges seem pretty lightweight. I fear that he will be able wiggle his way out and be found not guilty. I have a bad feeling this is going to backfire and get him elected. MAGA filth is playing witch hunt card very well and its going to win over more neutrals.

Trump has beaten the Mueller investigation and if he beats this, its going to be bad news.

The timing is ominous and as its leading up right 2024 race. Momentum is key in politics.
It is a fairly lightweight case in the scheme of things, still illegal though.

What I found more interesting in the indictment was the "with intent to commit and conceal other crimes" wording used in every count.

It goes into more detail as to what these other crimes are in the statement of facts, mostly the 'catch and kill' scheme with the National Enquirer, which broke election laws:

"From August 2015 to December 2017, the Defendant orchestrated a scheme with others to influence the 2016 presidential election by identifying and purchasing negative information about him to suppress its publication and benefit the Defendant’s electoral prospects. In order to execute the unlawful scheme, the participants violated election laws and made and caused false entries in the business records of various entities in New York. The participants also took steps that mischaracterized, for tax purposes, the true nature of the payments made in furtherance of the scheme. "

Also, there's the steps taken to try and prevent Cohen from flipping.

Simbo

At this point, I'm also wondering if the Mueller report can be reopened. There were something like 13 obvious obstruction of justice counts. The only reason the investigation was closed is because Trump's DOJ puppet ruled a SITTING president cannot be indicted. He was never exonerated of anything.

In the words of Mueller himself:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s interesting, to say the least. Serious cat and mouse being played. I don’t understand it all (US of A mystifies me anyway), but they seem to be building a case based on cheating the electorate by hiding crimes. Trump attacks on Judge is surely making it worse for him. I know he gets donations on the back of that, but it also makes him unpalatable to moderates, surely.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s interesting, to say the least. Serious cat and mouse being played. I don’t understand it all (US of A mystifies me anyway), but they seem to be building a case based on cheating the electorate by hiding crimes. Trump attacks on Judge is surely making it worse for him. I know he gets donations on the back of that, but it also makes him unpalatable to moderates, surely.
It’s essentially election fraud.

Trump has every right to pay anyone he’s slept with money to keep it quiet with an NDA.

What he can’t do is have someone else (David Pecker) pay them for him without declaring it as a campaign contribution. The purpose of the money is to help Trump’s campaign after all by catching and killing a story that would damage him.

Then you have the payments he made through his company for the same purpose. The problem with these payments is that they tried to hide the purpose of them and in doing this he committed tax fraud.

Put very simply he committed crimes and these crimes have consequences. The fact he was President should never come into it, especially when you consider his crimes helped him become President.

Look at it in the most extreme way - let’s say Trump ordered a genocide of non-Republican voters. Naturally he would win the next election. Should he be immune from prosecution for that crime because it earned his the Presidency?

Obviously that’s a ridiculous example (I hope) but the point is that it’s so important that any crimes committed I’m an election should never be forgotten just because they were successful.

Suv666

This seems like a pyrrhic victory for Democrats. The right has been crying about political persecution for years, this just feeds into the narrative. If anything the smart move would have been to pit Trump against the Republicans not unite them.

I feel like the moderates would side with the Republicans on this one, although I’m not sure if there are any undecided in the US political landscape left.

The right outlaws abortions and stacks the Supreme Court while the liberals try to get Trump imprisoned, what does this circus even accomplish?

We all know they won’t be able to nail him on anything Trump won’t walk away from. Quite similar to the Russian collusion ordeal and the multiple “smoking guns”.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This seems like a pyrrhic victory for Democrats. The right has been crying about political persecution for years, this just feeds into the narrative. If anything the smart move would have been to pit Trump against the Republicans not unite them.

I feel like the moderates would side with the Republicans on this one, although I’m not sure if there are any undecided in the US political landscape left.

The right outlaws abortions and stacks the Supreme Court while the liberals try to get Trump imprisoned, what does this circus even accomplish?

We all know they won’t be able to nail him on anything Trump won’t walk away from. Quite similar to the Russian collusion ordeal and the multiple “smoking guns”.
It has nothing to do with the Dems. Its simply a win for the Rule of Law, as it would be in any liberal democratic society with an incredibly corrupt leader.

Precaution

What does Adderall do to a person? Doesn't sound like it does anything positive based on Trump?
It's basically legal meth but it wouldn't give someone symptoms like Trump in that video, withdrawals is a thing but you tend to just get lazy & fatigue because you borrowed all that energy, my ex wife used to be on it used it for work but tried to level herself out with alcohol which then creeps up on you and becomes far worse and very counter-productive

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's basically legal meth but it wouldn't give someone symptoms like Trump in that video, withdrawals is a thing but you tend to just get lazy & fatigue because you borrowed all that energy, my ex wife used to be on it used it for work but tried to level herself out with alcohol which then creeps up on you and becomes far worse and very counter-productive
Looking at Trump and his behaviour, it's put me off trying!

Suv666

It has nothing to do with the Dems. Its simply a win for the Rule of Law, as it would be in any liberal democratic society with an incredibly corrupt leader.
Fair enough but doesn’t seem like a worthwhile battle to undertake if it ends up with Republicans gaining power and enacting more medieval laws.

It maybe true that the investigation isn’t politically motivated but your average Joe isn’t going to be convinced when he sees one side of the political spectrum celebrate and the other incensed.

Kaush949

Off topic - I am on Vyvanse (Adderall alternative). I have severe ADD and vyvanse helps my mind to work, provides focus, clarity of thought and executive functioning. Before, going on it I had trouble being motivated to do even the simplest of things. I lost job and relationships because of that. It changed my life.

On the downside, it does make me more introverted. Some days I do feel like I am on the edge in terms of anxiety. The crashes are not good but I have found ways reduce the severity. Supplementing magnesium and B complex helps a lot.

Alcohol is definite no-no. I stopped drinking many years ago to better my health. Now, I have been doing meditation daily and seeing some positive improvements to my anxiety levels.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Adderall used to be prescribed for severe nasal congestion. If it's not Adderall that's causing the sniffing through clean as a whistle nasal passages, it could be Sudafed (his famous 'I love Hispanics!' taco bowl pic showed multiple boxes of such in a desk drawer in Trump Tower). My father used to abuse Contac & would sound very similar to Trump.

Very low probability he is drug free there.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Adderall used to be prescribed for severe nasal congestion. If it's not Adderall that's causing the sniffing through clean as a whistle nasal passages, it could be Sudafed (his famous 'I love Hispanics!' taco bowl pic showed multiple boxes of such in a desk drawer in Trump Tower). My father used to abuse Contac & would sound very similar to Trump.

Very low probability he is drug free there.
I used to take Sudafed for sinus headaches. When you use it regularly you're basically tweaking on speed.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I used to take Sudafed for sinus headaches. When you use it regularly you're basically tweaking on speed.
Yep. My father was a piss in his pants, puke every night drunk who gobbled Contac like they were mints in order to fly through the day at work (he was extremely high functioning in his job as we addicts often are).

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Fair enough but doesn’t seem like a worthwhile battle to undertake if it ends up with Republicans gaining power and enacting more medieval laws.

It maybe true that the investigation isn’t politically motivated but your average Joe isn’t going to be convinced when he sees one side of the political spectrum celebrate and the other incensed.
The thing with battles is that it isn't necessary to be willing to participate in order to be in one. Ask ukranians.

Last elections results tend to show moderates running far away from MAGA candidates. The last events would likely reinforce that trend.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I am tired of the "don't do anything, the right will be angry" talk.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Where is the "here" you refer to? It's certainly not the atmosphere on the west coast. There was the pro forma rallying around Trump before the indictment was unsealed, but even the protests today were paltry, with pro-Trump people greatly outnumbered by anti-Trump people. The reports in places like NYT, Washington Post, et al., are saying 15-20% of people who previously supported Trump are or have abandoned him this time. Trump needs 100% of the people who voted for him last time, plus an additional few percentage points. Losing even 5% of his support means he's already lost. I think people have been saying he could fundraise off this arraignment, assuming he had been handcuffed and had a mug shot, but I don't believe that happened. Trump will continue to grift and scam his followers, but he's already losing support -- and this is in the weakest of the cases against him. Remember that the Grand Jury voted to pursue these charges, it wasn't the Manhattan DA pulling this out of his ass.

When the other shoe drops, when the GA election interference or the withholding of classified documents indictments happen, that will finish him.
New York. Let's hope so because as of now some of his followers are seeing him as a part of a witch hunt orchestrated by Democrats.
Its the political structure and the culture. The structure (Duverger's Law) is such that it enables the general population to be manipulated easily since there are only binary choices. So it gamifies the political arena.

Blue versus Red. Like sports.

Simplifies the choices. So its about party loyalty rather than issues.

Like my college 'hated' rival school -- feck knows why we (manufactured) hate them even -- but it makes for great sports. So the narrative is of constantly belittling the other school etc. Same as political choices. Everyone thinks they are the good guys and the other side is bad.

This then trickles down to geopolitics too. Us versus them, good guys versus the evil ones. Rather than seeing everything in terms of shades of grey/badness -- and therefore having some level of humility and less arrogance towards other nations.

It's almost like the US geo/politics is like some Hollywood blockbuster movie where there is a clear distinction between the good guys and the bad guys. But it feeds into the sense of exceptionalism within the society.
It's exactly this. His voters didn't care who he was as long as he was Republican.

When he ran for president nobody thought he would win. It was laughable that he was even a candidate but he won. I think there will always be that fear that there is a possibility that people out there are stupid enough to still support him. They're still out there in a significantly large number.

Feels like this is the messaging team trump are pushing, trying to normalise it being ok to vote for a convicted criminal in people's minds.

The other narrative being pushed is how its a "sombre" day for America in the eyes of the world that a former President has been indicted. No you clowns, electing someone so obviously bent was that day. Fixing your mistakes is good day. There might be hope for America yet.
Yeah he had no place running for president or even being a candidate but he won. It's a bloody shame that scum like him can say they were a US president. I'm pretty sure some of our past presidents were not saints but he trump takes the cake.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
New York. Let's hope so because as of now some of his followers are seeing him as a part of a witch hunt orchestrated by Democrats.

It's exactly this. His voters didn't care who he was as long as he was Republican.

When he ran for president nobody thought he would win. It was laughable that he was even a candidate but he won. I think there will always be that fear that there is a possibility that people out there are stupid enough to still support him. They're still out there in a significantly large number.

Yeah he had no place running for president or even being a candidate but he won. It's a bloody shame that scum like him can say they were a US president. I'm pretty sure some of our past presidents were not saints but he trump takes the cake.
The exhausted majority is past him now. Trump doesn’t build out his follower number, he continues to lose a percent here, a percent there which adds up to 2020. The multiple legal cases against him will only turn him more insular like he was last night. He doesn’t speak to the promise of a better future, he rehashes his prior issues & that turns what’s left of the independents off incrementally.

Suv666

On the contrary, this is not doing anything its just symbolic in the grand of scheme of things. The right is bringing in actual laws to change the course of America while the liberals are busy celebrating hollow victories on Twitter and the daily shows.

Healthcare, housing, homelessness, gun control, women’s reproductive rights fight for actual change, which the democrats are scared of touching.

If this ends up in Trump actually going to prison then fair enough, but I highly doubt that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
On the contrary, this is not doing anything its just symbolic in the grand of scheme of things. The right is bringing in actual laws to change the course of America while the liberals are busy celebrating hollow victories on Twitter and the daily shows.

Healthcare, housing, homelessness, gun control, women’s reproductive rights fight for actual change, which the democrats are scared of touching.

If this ends up in Trump actually going to prison then fair enough, but I highly doubt that.
The right is certainly passing draconian & tone deaf laws at the local & state levels, but Democrats had quite a solid year last year legislatively, even touching on some of the issues you said they don’t. It’s also the uber-conservative Supreme Court where a lot of conservative bullshit is being normalized & allowed to come to pass.

Seems like people are freaking out over something that literally happened 24 hours ago & not seeing the bigger picture.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think that's all smoke. The MA

Trump's issue is that his core group isn't big enough, and he will need to take the majority of "independent" voters, of which he is chasing away in droves.

There is a good Opinion piece in the NY Times today that references this: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/05/opinion/trump-charges-conspiracy.html.

Inevitably, the images of the day and the details of the charges will have a cumulative and wearying effect on many voters. Mr. Trump thinks only of his core supporters, who will share his rage at his ordeal on Tuesday and demand revenge. But there aren’t enough base Trump voters to guarantee him even the Republican nomination, let alone the general election in 2024. Will the images of Mr. Trump at a defendant’s table, not to mention the headlines about 34 counts of paying hush money to a porn star, win a substantial number of swing voters to his side?

It’s hard to imagine all of this will really do him any good, particularly if there are charges down the road from other prosecutors alleging abuse of his presidential office. Mr. Trump may sell a few fake T-shirts, but with the law closing in on him, he will have a much harder time selling himself.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Yep. My father was a piss in his pants, puke every night drunk who gobbled Contac like they were mints in order to fly through the day at work (he was extremely high functioning in his job as we addicts often are).
I'm surprised that a drug like that would relieve rather than worsen the symptoms of severe hangovers/alcoholism

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'm surprised that a drug like that would relieve rather than worsen the symptoms of severe hangovers/alcoholism
Contac was apparently even stronger than Sudafed regarding pseudoephedrine way back when. This was in the late 70s to the early 90s. He basically jacked himself up on pseudoephedrine in the morning & maintained it throughout the day. This was back when purchases of pseudoephedrine pills weren’t limited as they are today. Never didn’t see my mom not buying a few boxes at a time during shopping.

The Contac was just the crutch my pop used to get to 501P & start imbibing again.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Contac was apparently even stronger than Sudafed regarding pseudoephedrine way back when. This was in the late 70s to the early 90s. He basically jacked himself up on pseudoephedrine in the morning & maintained it throughout the day. This was back when purchases of pseudoephedrine pills weren’t limited as they are today. Never didn’t see my mom not buying a few boxes at a time during shopping.

The Contac was just the crutch my pop used to get to 501P & start imbibing again.
Damn, I can only imagine the contraindications of overuse of the two.

Hamnat

100% This. They ban books, they ban drag shows, try to ban abortions. Try every single method to make sure minorities have a harder time voting, or have limited representation (gerrymandering) as possible. They are ALWAYS angry. No one else should be walking on eggshells for them.

A crime is a crime. If trump did these things then you can't "look the other way" because it might make the right mad. They are hypocrites of the highest order. They would LOVE to have found something they could pin on Hillary Clinton. They literally chanted "lock her up" at every rally for years despite having no crime to warrant it. They salivate trying to find any crime to pin on Biden, or his family now. The GOP House ran on Biden investigations left and right which haven't done jack yet.

Suddenly "it is an outrage" and political.

Precaution

Wonderful, my girlfriend takes Sudafed for her sinus headaches alot and she takes Adderall which where I live is a thing people do a lot here so this probably explains her behaviour (and my ex wife's) :lol:

On the comedowns, I've never noticed them being stuffy well least in the case of ex wife, girlfriend just regularly has allergies living with cats.