Music Don't Be Cruel.

Spoony

The People's President
Must admit I've got a soft spot for this album....was the first CD I bought. And Bobby Brown was actually a bit of a star. Anyway I can't be the only one who liked New Jack Swing.

Any takers??

Hoof the ball

Must admit I've got a soft spot for this album....was the first CD I bought. And Bobby Brown was actually a bit of a star. Anyway I can't be the only one who liked New Jack Swing.

Any takers??
Can't mention New Jack Swing without mentioning Teddy Riley. Folks take for granted that modern urban music owes its existence to Teddy for creating the genre and combining hip hop beats with R&B.

Some classics for me are Guy, New Edition, Keith Sweat, Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, After 7, etc.

Stunning genre of music, and as time has testified, the most influential genre of the last 30 years.

Spoony

The People's President
Can't mention New Jack Swing without mentioning Teddy Riley. Folks take for granted that modern urban music owes its existence to Teddy for creating the genre and combining hip hop beats with R&B.

Some classics for me are Guy, New Edition, Keith Sweat, Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, After 7, etc.

Stunning genre of music, and as time has testified, the most influential genre of the last 30 years.

Yeah Teddy Riley was the pioneer. I was into hip hop but loved NJS's hip hop beats and RnB vocals. Some others..
BBD, Mary J Blige - What's the 411?

Hoof the ball

Yeah Teddy Riley was the pioneer. I was into hip hop but loved NJS's hip hop beats and RnB vocals. Some others..
BBD, Mary J Blige - What's the 411?
I'd say that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are precursors and their work on just about anything in the 80s, but especially Janet Jackson's Control and Rhythm Nation are especially important to the direction of the genre. To this day I still maintain that Janet had the better album than Michael in the late 80s.

Also...... Al B. Sure.

Spoony

The People's President
[Q

I'd say that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are precursors and their work on just about anything in the 80s, but especially Janet Jackson's Control and Rhythm Nation are especially important to the direction of the genre. To this day I still maintain that Janet had the better album than Michael in the late 80s.

Also...... Al B. Sure.

Fair enough, you clearly know your onions. Apparently Jimmy Jam gave BBD the idea to form as a group.

Spoony

The People's President
Wasn't aware of that! That's dope!

Love BBD.

Thaaaaat girl is poisooooooon....

I've gone on a nostalgia trip lately. I don't remember New Editionbas a group but I've been watching the New Edition TV bio epic. Anyway Motownphilly is another I liked from the BBD era.

Delano

My top 100 on Spotify was fairly standard in terms of the "best" music of 2020. The likes of Run the Jewels, Yves Tumor etc. But they'd be odd sprinklings of Bobby Brown, Babyface, Janet Jackson, Johnny Gill etc throughout.

For whatever reason, New Jack Swing was my shit last year.

Hoof the ball

I've gone on a nostalgia trip lately. I don't remember New Editionbas a group but I've been watching the New Edition TV bio epic. Anyway Motownphilly is another I liked from the BBD era.
That Boyz II Men album was so good. Right at the tail end of the NJS era. That along with Jodeci's Come and Talk to Me. I never watched the NE biopic. Will do now you've reminded me!

Hoof the ball

Here's some of the more R&B slanted ones from back then.

Also, technically:

I sing 'Can We Talk' all the time when no one is in the house. For obvious reasons I don't do it with people around since I'm not actually Tevin Campbell :lol:

Saw this the other week. Perfectly sums up my response every time a New Jack Swing beat comes on

hungrywing

I sing 'Can We Talk' all the time when no one is in the house. For obvious reasons I don't do it with people around since I'm not actually Tevin Campbell :lol:

Saw this the other week. Perfectly sums up my response every time a New Jack Swing beat comes on

God, back then I always wished I could dance like that.

I always thought the below song was heavily influenced by the then-current sound.

And a peace offering for Spoony whose rippling biceps are probably cringing at all this soft stuff.

Spoony

The People's President
Funny you say that I would've cringed back then, Hungry - I had a me against the world attitude which is why I loved the aggression of hip hop...however I found NJS gave me good middle ground, and at the moment I have no issue with the NE song you've linked especially since I've always had a soft spot for Bel, Biv, Devoe, Ralph T and co. Anyway I can't stop listening to Bobby's Don't Be Cruel album... it just takes me back and it wasn't bad to boot.

I suspect you've got quite an eclectic taste, Hungry??

Last edited:

hungrywing

Funny you say that I would've cringed back then, Hungry - I had a me against the world attitude which is why I loved the aggression of hip hop...however I found NJS gave me good middle ground, and at the moment I have no issue with the NE song you've linked especially since I've always had a soft spot for Bel, Biv, Devoe, Ralph T and co. Anyway I can't stop listening to Bobby's Don't Be Cruel album... it just takes me back and it wasn't bad to boot.
I was joking that you were probably cringing now at my posting those more soft-style R&B-slanted ones than more hip-hop-slanted examples. So I posted Hit Me Off to try and get the thread back on track, since it was probably closer to what you were talking about. AKA it's a bit 'harder' than the other ones I posted.

You are spot on, sir. Any AI monitoring my youtube/spotify are probably convinced that mine is an account shared between about eighty people or a researcher deliberately trying to troll the algorithms.

I definitely did go heavy on the R&B back in the day, though.

Hoof the ball

Don't Be Cruel is right up there as one of my favourite all-time albums. They're all singles on that album. My favourite on that album, though, is Roni.

Hoof the ball

I was joking that you were probably cringing now at my posting those more soft-style R&B-slanted ones than more hip-hop-slanted examples. So I posted Hit Me Off to try and get the thread back on track, since it was probably closer to what you were talking about. AKA it's a bit 'harder' than the other ones I posted.

You are spot on, sir. Any AI monitoring my youtube/spotify are probably convinced that mine is an account shared between about eighty people or a researcher deliberately trying to troll the algorithms.

I definitely did go heavy on the R&B back in the day, though.
You and I have the same "issue" or diversity. My dad raised me on Santana, and so I linked heavily to latin music in my childhood. From there in my teens it was R&B/soul, latin, classical, pop, hip-hop and country.

The best live show I ever saw was D'Angelo in 2000 at the Brixton Academy from his Voodoo tour.

hungrywing

You and I have the same "issue" or diversity. My dad raised me on Santana, and so I linked heavily to latin music in my childhood. From there in my teens it was R&B/soul, latin, classical, pop, hip-hop and country.

The best live show I ever saw was D'Angelo in 2000 at the Brixton Academy from his Voodoo tour.
Way to go, papa Hoof.

My parents were sort of diametrically opposed. Dad never listened to any secular music; strictly classical, opera, etc. Mom, too, but she liked popular music as well and would scrounge garage sales for records by artists she'd heard on the radio. Mitch Miller, Paul Anka, The Carpenters, Anne Murray, etc.

Later on I'd listen to what friends were listening to: GnR, Metallica, Nirvana, Warren G, Pac, Snoop etc. But on my own I was buying Mariah Carey, Gloria Estefan, Kenny G, Celine Dion etc. :lol:

Hoof the ball

What are your other fav albums?
Restricting it to NJS:

Janet Jackson - Control and Rhythm Nation
Prince - Diamonds and Pearls
Michael Jackson - Dangerous
New Jack City Movie OST
Guy - Guy
Bobby Brown - Bobby
Jodeci - Forever My Lady
Hi-Five - High-Five
Ralph Tresvant - Ralph Tresvant