Don't boo Fellaini.

junglemusic

Because he's given away the exact same penalty twice and instead of learning his lesson he does the same thing. It's a stupid challenge to make in the box at that stage of the game, he's done it more than once. He's always doing nasty tackles and throwing elbows and risking a sending off because he doesn't think.

It was a clear penalty.

If I'm paid a fortune by my employer I should be held to high standards.
High standards are generally to be judged by the Manager, not you.

TheSweeper

He's paid a fortune comparatively to you or I, but he's paid proportionally in from an economic perspective, maybe slightly more than he 'deserves' but that's subjective given most people just don't like the guy. Anyone is held to high standards regardless of their pay scale.

Point is, just because he's a millionaire doesn't mean any time he makes a mistake he should get boo'ed.

When does it stop? Should we boo De Gea if he doesn't parry the ball out completely and another teams striker scores off his error?
Should we boo Zlatan if he misses an open goal? Maybe we can boo Valencia if his cross doesn't hit its intended target?
Sweet

Tiber

No crocodile tears from me. I wouldn't have booed him personally but I haven't got one nice thing to say about him as a footballer and totally understand the frustrations of many fans.

Thousands of people swear at him, mock him, rage about him every week and this is all apparently fine, but we need a huge pity party because someone booed him?

jem

I also think it's worse for Fellaini because of what he represents. Rightly or wrongly, he's seen as the symbol of our downfall. The only signing we mad in a summer that marked the downfall of our club. His looks don't do him any favours either.
But the main point is, don't fans have the right to voice displeasure at something they don't like. In my opinion, football fans take the meaning of "support" to the extreme.
"You shouldn't raise signs, you shouldn't boo, you shouldn't whistle, you should fly planes", What can you do then?
Get behind the player as he's about to enter the pitch. Do we honestly think booing is going to have a positive influence on his performance (or, more importantly, sway Mourinho, the person who decides, rightly or wrongly, to bring Fellaini on?)

Tiber

Get behind the player as he's about to enter the pitch. Do we honestly think booing is going to have a positive influence on his performance (or, more importantly, sway Mourinho, the person who decides, rightly or wrongly, to bring Fellaini on?)
its not like he is going to get any worse

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No it suggest that a player earns the support he gets.

Think of it as a relationship. If you've got a partner who always treats you well then you're more keen to close an eye when that partner is in a foul mood as opposed to someone who never gives a shit about you. Same thing about players. Before they expect to be treated like Manchester United players they must first play like one.
"Treated like a Manchester United player"

Jesus. Get a fecking grip.

its not like he is going to get any worse
He obviously can. I know some of you can't remember beyond your last shit but the guy has had numerous good performances, many of them in big games. A mistake at Everton should not erase that. A lot of people would agree that he's not good enough but booing him will not help him and more importantly will not help United.

Ixion

High standards are generally to be judged by the Manager, not you.
And its all the fans in the crowd paying the manager's wages and Fellaini's so if they want to vent when a player does something stupid let them.

I've been to OT many times and I've never booed a player and never would but I'm not going to hold some moral high ground over someone if they want to let a player know he's done something stupid. Like I've said before he gave away literally the same penalty against Watford, the managers, the players, the fans, can be annoyed about it happening again if they want to. He's not some special fragile flower that needs protecting.

JohnnyLaw

No it suggest that a player earns the support he gets.

Think of it as a relationship. If you've got a partner who always treats you well then you're more keen to close an eye when that partner is in a foul mood as opposed to someone who never gives a shit about you. Same thing about players. Before they expect to be treated like Manchester United players they must first play like one.
That's Di Maria, Heinze or Tevez. Not Fellaini.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's Di Maria, Heinze or Tevez. Not Fellaini.
How exactly did Fellaini treated us well? His game is almost unwatchable. Most of the time he's either a very average player or a nasty one or both.

devilish

"Treated like a Manchester United player"

Jesus. Get a fecking grip.
I've been here long enough not to impress me with one liners. I repeat, players playing at top clubs have their set of perks and responsibilities. That include playing at a certain level. If the likes of Fellaini want to be cheered then he should consider playing in the Championship. Big fish small pond and all that. He's simply not good enough for us and since no one cares saying that to him its about time the fans do.

devilish

Feck that. Fellaini might make a mistake on the pitch but his efforts and hard work deserve support. A player doesn't just sign on a blank canvas for fans. They wear the shirt and its our job to support them the best way we can. Not boo them when theyr'e doing a fecking warm up because of human error in the last game.

Had we not dropped points against Stoke, West Ham, etc. we would not have boo'ed Fellaini for the mishap against Everton. Truth is, the fans are booing him from anger resulting accumulation of wasted points. Theres no chance he'd get boo'ed if beat Stoke, Burnley, West Ham and then drew to Everton.

Its not about being "treated like Manchester United players". Some people really need to get off their high horse tbh. He got picked to warm up and he got picked to be subbed on, boo'ing him serves no positive impact on his performance, nor is it justified towards a player who is only trying his best to help the team. Oh big feck he made a poor challenge in a game. Lets boo him because we don't give a feck about anything else.
What effort exactly? He works hard....so feckin what. I assure you, that if, you get any person at OT, whose fit enough to do so then they will do that. The only difference that seperate the average fan who pays to watch United play and a player whose actually being paid alot to do so is talent. Fellaini doesn't have enough of that to play at a club like ours.
I assure you no one would be booing Fellaini if he was watching our games as a paying fan.

And yes we're sitting on a high horse. That's being the fan of a the richest and greatest club is. If our employees don't like that or if they don't have what it takes to make it then they can feck off elsewhere. Lets see whose club are going to sign this rubbish player if he's thrown out of OT.

We've been the Florence nightingale of football for too much time, taking care of the injured, giving contracts to washed up players and supporting the shit ones. Look what that got us. If we want to win then we must expect a certain standard from our players both in terms of attitude and talent. If you hate ruthless clubs then go and support a non top club. Spurs are a nice club to support. They do their best and they always end behind Arsenal

MILLHILLMANC

These are fans who have paid to watch Fellaini for 3 years and it's not cheap. Let's face it, he's as bad as we have seen at OT since Birtles. If they want to boo then they are entitled to boo. It doesn't look great but the patronising clap trap on this thread is actually more embarrassing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What effort exactly? He works hard....so feckin what. I assure you, that if, you get any person at OT, whose fit enough to do so then they will do that. The only difference that seperate the average fan who pays to watch United play and a player whose actually being paid alot to do so is talent. Fellaini doesn't have enough of that to play at a club like ours.
I assure you no one would be booing Fellaini if he was watching our games as a paying fan.
There is no need to boo someone who is actively trying and making a genuine mistake. Its ridiculously daft and not expected from our club. From Real, perhaps, but they've always been a circus of a club.

And yes we're sitting on a high horse. That's being the fan of a the richest and greatest club is. If our employees don't like that or if they don't have what it takes to make it then they can feck off elsewhere. Lets see whose club are going to sign this rubbish player if he's thrown out of OT.
Boo'ing players has never been part of our DNA, regardless of where we sit in the league. Ferguson would never endorse it and it was rarely seen even in his struggling days.
We've been the Florence nightingale of football for too much time, taking care of the injured, giving contracts to washed up players and supporting the shit ones. Look what that got us. If we want to win then we must expect a certain standard from our players both in terms of attitude and talent. If you hate ruthless clubs then go and support a non top club. Spurs are a nice club to support. They do their best and they always end behind Arsenal
Oh get a grip. We are where we are because we made the wrong managerial choices up until Mourinho. Boo'ing any player, whether its Fellaini or Zlatan because of a single mistake made in a game is farcical. End of story. United fans on the whole aren't ruthless, thats why booing Fellaini made such noice on the forums and on the TV, because its not normally affiliated with us. If you want to be ruthless, feck off and support Madrid. "Support has to be earned". Christ.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It was quite unfortunate, almost uncomfortable. But Fellaini's costly mistakes aren't the problem - or at least source of it, they're symptoms of Manchester United managers utilising his profile of player in the first place.

Now why that is, is a little mind boggling for me. For such a tall dude he's turd in the air, he almost always remains planted to the ground looking to chest it down. And then, he pretty much sacrifices the chemistry of our entire midfield with his slow, clumsy, laboured approach. If we can all see it, surely our managers can - yet he still gets in the team. If anything, it speaks volumes of what has been the state of our midfield for the past few years. That rather than playing football on the ground, we've relied on knocking it long and attempting to play the second balls.

Playing him defensively sort of makes sense, but only if you accept that with the ball on the ground you'd be playing with 9 outfield players and a massive bulldozer that'll be looking to break up play by running into people. So really, still doesn't make that much sense.

My conclusion: we are living in a horrible fecked up matrix.

Boycott

I agree with your Fellaini sentiments but I just want to add something to the above. I've seen enough success for Utd to have my lot. The last 3 years for utd have been the worst in a generation yet most clubs would dream of that run which includes an FA Cup. Get some perspective.

I often think many on here are blinkered or simply don't appreciate outside the top end when a line such as "We've been the Florence nightingale of football for too much time" come about.

I've seen clubs go down the drain because of horrific mis-management and the ramifications on hard workers who are thrown out in the cold to make up for it while lazy, poorly performing players collect their wage packet.

Manchester United are a cash-cow. They will never have to worry about that and sooner or later they will get back to winning ways because they have too much money to not be able to buy the formula.

Minimalist

I never get booing at all. Even when it's for an opposition player. It's like a fecking pantomime.

For me personally during the 90 minutes (and probably beyond) it's either applause or silence/apathy.

Example: Never wanted Moyes booed but sure as hell was pissed off listening to idiots cheer him for doing a shite job.

SteveTheRed

Well it's like when you dog shits on the carpet, you are irrationally annoyed at the dog but he is just doing what a dog would do. You project your own anger on him because you should have trained him better and the fault lies at your door.

Or basically, don't boo Fellaini for being a clumsy, gangly fecker and giving away fouls. We should have never been using him, or had him as an option.

I don't like that people booed, but I also don't think he should be applauded either. A silence would do.

devilish

There is no need to boo someone who is actively trying and making a genuine mistake. Its ridiculously daft and not expected from our club. From Real, perhaps, but they've always been a circus of a club.

Boo'ing players has never been part of our DNA, regardless of where we sit in the league. Ferguson would never endorse it and it was rarely seen even in his struggling days.

Oh get a grip. We are where we are because we made the wrong managerial choices up until Mourinho. Boo'ing any player, whether its Fellaini or Zlatan because of a single mistake made in a game is farcical. End of story. United fans on the whole aren't ruthless, thats why booing Fellaini made such noice on the forums and on the TV, because its not normally affiliated with us. If you want to be ruthless, feck off and support Madrid. "Support has to be earned". Christ.
A- The circus of a club has won more then we can even imagine of ever winning. So maybe there's a lesson to learn from such circus especially since they have top quality players and we're the one saddled with so many dead wood

B- In the past the club's focus on winning. Everything of our club was built around that. Somehow we lost our way and fans want that back. We want the club to get rid of the dead wood and if they are too nice to do so then they can't expect the fans to support that decision

C- 1 mistake? Have you seen Fellaini playing?

Last edited:

devilish

I agree with your Fellaini sentiments but I just want to add something to the above. I've seen enough success for Utd to have my lot. The last 3 years for utd have been the worst in a generation yet most clubs would dream of that run which includes an FA Cup. Get some perspective.

I often think many on here are blinkered or simply don't appreciate outside the top end when a line such as "We've been the Florence nightingale of football for too much time" come about.

I've seen clubs go down the drain because of horrific mis-management and the ramifications on hard workers who are thrown out in the cold to make up for it while lazy, poorly performing players collect their wage packet.

Manchester United are a cash-cow. They will never have to worry about that and sooner or later they will get back to winning ways because they have too much money to not be able to buy the formula.
Most teams would also dream of being the richest and most supported club in the world too. They simply don't have that and hence they will have to lower their expectations. However the same rule applies. You have standards at a club and if a player doesn't reach that standard then he's out. If the club doesn't want to push the red button then its within the fan rights to show their discontent. We live in a democracy and the ones watching the game are their customers. The club should learn to listen to them because ultimately they are the ones who will stick around more then anybody else (sponsors, players, managers etc)

The last part reveals great arrogance on our part. No the money will end if we can't win. If you think that sponsors like to associate their names to losers and the nice guys who insist on Fellaini because he works hard then think again. Hence why Bayern has done nothing to bring their legend back and give him a dignified end of their career and that's exactly why SAF kicked Mcgrath (who was 10 times better then Fellaini ever was) when it was evident that he was an alcholic. Clubs are businesses not charities

Now we can decide. We can either be the nice guys of football or we can be winners. There's no other option

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A- The circus of a club has won more then we can even imagine of ever winning. So maybe there's a lesson to learn from such circus especially since they have top quality players and we're the one saddled with crappy ones.

B- In the past the club's focus on winning. Everything of our club was built around that. Somehow we lost our way and fans want that back. We want the club to get rid of the dead wood and if they are too nice to do so then they can't expect the fans to support that decision

C- 1 mistake? Have you seen Fellaini playing?
Reals success was built from being an elitist buying club. Ours was built more from grit and having a backbone of "average" players play out of their skin in many ways. We are now just a big a brand but that doesn't mean we boo average players who are making an effort.

Sure, Fellaini isn't good enough for United but don't boo the man because he was chosen by the manager. It's absolutely daft, theres no two ways about it.

And yes I've seen him play, probably more than you by the sounds of it. He hasn't single handedly cost us a game any more than say, Smalling has with his errors. He was man of the match on a few appearances for us and was the difference in many moments for LVG in his first season.

Moreover he's important to Mourinho, the definition of a winning manager. Anyone booing a player as a result of one mistake can take their circus attitude and support real tbh.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
That mistake isn't the sole reason for booing, it's about the whole package.

Yeah it isn't but our golden era that lasted almost quarter of the century is over and since then frustrations have arisen. Booing is one of very few ways for fans to signal their displeasure.

Last edited:

iKeano

I'm not part of the Fellaini haters to be honest. I just don't understand how he signed at United, but since he's a United player, he deserves respect.

Don't forget that during the past two years with Van Gaal, he always gaved his best, was part of the team that destroyed Pool, Spurs, Chitteh etc. At the beginning of the season he was excellent also with Herrera until the City game, but he always tried.

I can understand that he's not loved, but he deserves more respect for what he gaved and the dedication he had.

He's still suffering from the Moyes era as the lone scapegoat. But he's not guilty.

He's a limited footballer, but provides a different treat and can be very useful when he plays his way.

I would rather have Thiago Alcantara or Verratti instead of him, but the fact is that he plays for United and we have to respect him
Gets my goat when people say he 'deserves respect' for his dedication. All players get well paid, it's not like he sought out Utd due to a deep love for the club. He was bought by a clown & has made millions by being completely average at best. Fans deserve respect for pumping hard earned cash into a club they love as a birth right, not the other way around.

There is no force known to man that could have a positive influence on his performance such are his limitations.

Well it's like when you dog shits on the carpet, you are irrationally annoyed at the dog but he is just doing what a dog would do. You project your own anger on him because you should have trained him better and the fault lies at your door.

Or basically, don't boo Fellaini for being a clumsy, gangly fecker and giving away fouls. We should have never been using him, or had him as an option.

I don't like that people booed, but I also don't think he should be applauded either. A silence would do.
That's worse, sitting on the fence afraid to have an opinion. People who disagreed booed, people who disagreed with the booers cheered. I'm fine with both.

devilish

Reals success was built from being an elitist buying club. Ours was built more from grit and having a backbone of "average" players play out of their skin in many ways. We are now just a big a brand but that doesn't mean we boo average players who are making an effort.

Sure, Fellaini isn't good enough for United
but don't boo the man because he was chosen by the manager. It's absolutely daft, theres no two ways about it.

And yes I've seen him play, probably more than you by the sounds of it. He hasn't single handedly cost us a game any more than say, Smalling has with his errors. He was man of the match on a few appearances for us and was the difference in many moments for LVG in his first season.

Moreover he's important to Mourinho, the definition of a winning manager. Anyone booing a player as a result of one mistake can take their circus attitude and support real tbh.
Average players? Seriously? Please remind me which player whose monument sits so majestically in front of OT was 'average'? If I remember well there's also two other monuments of managers there too. Would you remind me whom those 'average' people were/are?

The bold part ends my argument. He's not good enough for United hence he shouldn't be there. Every time he plays then its within the fans right to complain about it. If our owners hate that, then they should consider closing the gates of OT and play without paying fans watching. If our employees hate it, well they can always render their resignation and leave the club. Im pretty sure we'll survive without Fellaini

lsd

The Oracle

Yet we have had players like Di Maria and Bastian among others who can't took our money and made no effort yet instead of boos fans love them for it.

devilish

Yet we have had players like Di Maria and Bastian among others who can't took our money and made no effort yet instead of boos fans love them for it.
And that's stupid (ADM was our main assist man though)

red4ever 79

As far as I can tell we still live in the land of free speech and all that. If people feel they want to boo him, then let them. If people feel they want to criticize those people for booing, let them. Me personally I couldnt care less. He is not good enough for us, cost us 3 points last weekend and the sooner both he and Utd realise they are not made for each other the better

Vashu

So if booing is so totally out of order then what else remains that can be realistically done from fans' perspective? Hiring a plane with a message? Or maybe creating and singing more appropriate songs like:

"Fellaini oooOOOooo, Fellaini oooOOOooo
You were good for few fecking months,
But now we kindly inform you to feck off"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This thread might be a new low for the caf.

There's some properly moronic shit being spouted.

SteveTheRed

Gets my goat when people say he 'deserves respect' for his dedication. All players get well paid, it's not like he sought out Utd due to a deep love for the club. He was bought by a clown & has made millions by being completely average at best. Fans deserve respect for pumping hard earned cash into a club they love as a birth right, not the other way around.

There is no force known to man that could have a positive influence on his performance such are his limitations.

That's worse, sitting on the fence afraid to have an opinion. People who disagreed booed, people who disagreed with the booers cheered. I'm fine with both.
Not in my opinion. Booing him is not going to fix the situation and make him a player he can never be. Cheering him is for all those top reds who think football players are soft sensitive souls and need patting on the back all the time, even when they have been shite for a months.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
What exactly is the point in telling people they're not allowed to boo?

Are there a set of rules for situations where it is and isn't allowed?

Can't say I liked it or thought it was helpful but it's a reaction out of frustration. The sight of Fellaini preparing to come onto the pitch is a baffling and annoying one.
Here are the rules:

Question: is he a fat, bald, scouser who asked for a transfer request?

YES = it is ok to boo

NO = booing not allowed

hope this helps :devil:

Vashu

Pay, sit up, cheer while watching, accept and at last - pray.

This is so one dimensional ideal of fans behaviour that it's not going to pass the exam of difficult times that we've entered since Fergie had stepped down.

ryansgirl

I don't want to tell fans who have paid good money to watch United, especially over the trying times since David Moyes started destroying a title-winning side, to curb their right to have an opinion.

I really dislike booing of any Red Devil - manager, staff or player, but all I can do is suggest that booing should be saved for destructive Devils and not for honest, workmanlike players such as Fellaini.

Every interview I have seen with the man tells me he is somebody who really wants to pull on the shirt and doesn't take anything for granted.

Fellaini comes across as a decent human being. In interviews last season when he assisted or scored goals to help Manchester United in certain games, he seemed a good bloke.
Arrogant - no. Doesn't care, just picking up a salary - no.

If he keeps getting stick from members of a club that has a tradition of supporting its players instead of humiliating them or intimidating them - maybe he won't want to put on the shirt of this club. I wouldn't blame him.

NK86

I distinctly remember Nani being booed and the manager not saying anything to criticize the fans.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Here are the rules:

Question: is he a fat, bald, scouser who asked for a transfer request?

YES = it is ok to boo

NO = booing not allowed

hope this helps :devil:
I can't bring myself to be entirely against the idea of booing Fellaini. I don't even dislike Fellaini but the idea of him playing or coming on for us is an unpleasant one to me. It is like the club is accepting being rubbish.

It's not even the first time it's happened with him. There was that pre-season game where he was getting sarcastically cheered for passing the ball. I feel sorry for him, but it's not a surprise fans get frustrated because he's such a bloody clown.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That mistake isn't the sole reason for booing, it's about the whole package.

Yeah it isn't but the our golden era that lasted almost quarter of the century is over and since then frustrations have arisen. Booing is one of very few ways for fans to signal their displeasure.
If Fellaini didn't make the mistake versus Everton he wouldn't be boo'ed at the warmups. Our fans have become ridiculously short-sighted to that effect.

Average players? Seriously? Please remind me which player whose monument sits so majestically in front of OT was 'average'? If I remember well there's also two other monuments of managers there too. Would you remind me whom those 'average' people were/are?

The bold part ends my argument. He's not good enough for United hence he shouldn't be there. Every time he plays then its within the fans right to complain about it. If our owners hate that, then they should consider closing the gates of OT and play without paying fans watching. If our employees hate it, well they can always render their resignation and leave the club. Im pretty sure we'll survive without Fellaini
Oh Christ. Real buy superstars across the first XI. United never did. Taking 3 of our best players in history to suggest we always had a squad of that benchmark is ludacris.

Yeah, maybe he shouldn't be here. But don't boo the man when he warms up FFS. Its classless.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
On the one hand I feel like it's deserved because of how crap he is for us and all the mistakes he makes, but on the other I do feel bad for him and really hope he doesn't let the hate bother him but motivates him to get better.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
On the one hand I feel like it's deserved because of how crap he is for us and all the mistakes he makes, but on the other I do feel bad for him and really hope he doesn't let the hate bother him but motivates him to get better.
Now, that's a big fecking ask