Who argued better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
THE CRITERIA FOR VOTING IS WHO DEBATED BETTER - NOT WHO HAS THE BETTER TEAM
POLL OPENS 12 HOURS AFTER KICK OFF

--------------------------------ENIGMA_87--------------------------------------------------------------------SKIZZO

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 4-3-2-1
Defensive line: normal/moderate, try to dominate possession and control the game
Style: High energy, close down opponents win the ball back. Xavi as main conductor and the attacking trio of Laudrup, Puskas and Cristiano will work into channels and interchange when on the ball. Two of the best attacking full backs in Brehme and Alves will provide width in attack.

Defence:
We have two of the fines full backs when on the ball in Alves and Brehme. Both can provide support of the attack, stretch the opponents and also be able to track back quickly and gain ground when we lose the ball. Both of them are perfectly capable of manning their flank and in Alves's case he has plenty of experience dealing with wide forwards in Stoichkov's mold. In the heart of the Kohler and Nesta will be commanding the area - one of the greatest defensively center backs, who are complete both on the ground and in the air.

Midfield: a high energy unit composed of Davids, and Neeskens will be protecting the back four but also be hands on in what would be a pretty tasty midfield battle. Neeskens and Davids are both like having two midfielders on the pitch individually and have been the motor of their respective teams wherever they went. Lippi described Davids as "one-man engine room", and he was the epitome of never say die attitude, blending technique, grit, determination and boundless levels of stamina:

Neeskens was as described by his team mate Sjaak Swart "worth two men in midfield". One of the pioneers of the term box to box midfielders who was the total footballer like Cruyff himself. Johan Neeskens was a box to box midfielder who could attack and defend equally well. He could be used as an outlet to carry the ball into the opposition half during build up. His energy allowed him to track back to his box to make tackles or put in a block in front of the goal at the right time. Neeskens is considered to be one of the most all rounded midfielders of all time. He was elegant on the ball and a destroyer off the ball. In the same time he was a facilitator and someone who raises the level of the entire team:

Neeskens when asked about his tackling quipped

Such was his influence on the defensive side that he intimidated legends into anonymity. His sheer presence would strike fear in the minds of the opponents.

In the heart of the midfield we have probably the most influential midfielder of all time and the best at controling the tempo and reading the game in Xavi Hernandez. Not much is there to say considering we all witnessed his greatness, so his role here is no different - drop back to initiate play, distribute the ball on the wings or keep it ticking and moving forming triangles when playing short along with Laudrup, Neeskens, Davids,etc.

Attack: Our attack consists of flair and finishing ability and the creativity in the final third of the great Michael Laudrup. There are few that could pick a pass better than him and very few that can finish better than Puskas in his natural CF role. Puskas will interchange with Cristiano, confuse his markers and pull the CB's outside their comfort zone. Cristiano is playing off Puskas in his peak form, attacking the box and getting also at the end of Alves and Brehme trademark crosses.

Laudrup was the heart and soul of the Dream team, but he was not the dominant playmaker that would demand the ball every time and initiate each move. He would flourish alongside Xavi as he was never the selfish guy and he easily slots in our midfield:

Key points:
- two fantastic full backs to provide width, covered by probably the best fits in their respective categories - Neeskens/Davids.
- Nesta/Kohler is a great duo to counter the opposition star power in Pele/Romario.
- a midfield that is on the same wavelength in naturally gifted all action midfielders with endless stamina levels that are spearheaded by the midfield mastermind that is Xavi.
- A front three of complimentary ability that can score a ton of goals even against the stiffest defensive units.

TEAM SKIZZO

Inspiration? A tribute to a fallen master.
Gio brought forward his rendition of a 3-4-3, partly due to injuries, partly due to his tactical acumen and almost having the players able to pull it off. This is my tip-of-the-cap to the man.

The Back Three
Krol and Baresi probably don't need much explanation in their roles, so I won't over-complicate, but both are natural fits. I would imagine Don Elias might get a second look, and wonder why he's there over someone like Vogts, for example.

Figueroa typically used shorter, incisive passes to spring his teammates forward. Figueroa was also a threat in the final third of the pitch, often marauding forward to lay on goals for other players or strike on goal with his powerful shot. Figueroa remembers: "when I played in Brazil, I always did a play in which the wing back and the winger retained the ball while I would advance unmarked and make a central attacking run". Possessing good technical skills, Figueroa was also a physical presence, good in the air, and strong in one-on-one situations as a central defender. Known for his leadership, he also had a reputation of being a clean and fair player. Only once in his entire career was he shown a red card and was selected as captain for every team he played for. According to journalist Nelson Rodrigues, Figueroa was "elegant, as an earl dressed in suit, and dangerous as a Bengal Tiger. Elias Figueroa was the perfect defender.

With someone like Ronaldo lurking around the box, I needed someone who was strong physically, good in the air, and would be comfortable coming up in a one-on-one situation as they arose.

Diamonds in the Rough
Desailly, Matthaus, Edwards form the base of the diamond and provide just about everything you could ask for. Desailly able to drop back into defence as needed, and mop up in front of the back three. Matthaus and Edwards operating in their box-to-box roles and putting their stamp on the game. Edwards often gets plugged in to a variety of similar left dm positions, and while he's never underrated, I'm not sure his understanding of how games played out is ever fully appreciated either.

http://www.stretford-end.com/legends/duncan-edwards/

Talking specifically about half-backs, Duncan explains:

“These (the left and right half) are the link men, the men who make or break a side. Have a good defence, have a good attack, but have poor wing-halves linking them and the team loses half it’s efficiency. Their job is to stop the other sides inside-forwards fetching and carrying the ball – once they have done that the game is half won – and yet at the same time see that their own inside-forwards get as much of the ball as possible.

But before a ball is kicked or a tackle made, the keynote of this position is stamina. The wing-half is never still. Either he is foraging in his opponents’ half, or else back helping his own defence withstand pressure.
The main part of his defensive job is to keep check of those inside-forwards.
Yet obviously he cannot do it through close marking, in the way that the full-backs and centre-half do their job. Rather he has to rely on his own speed to get him back in defence once his own side has been suddenly robbed of the initiative.

His dominance of mid-field is the deciding factor in any match. When a line of forwards is sweetly and smoothly mounting an offensive, notice where the move starts. Invariably it is with some enterprising wing-half. Conversely, if a side’s attack is starved of the ball, watch and see who is winning the mid-field duels. It must be the other team.
The wing-half needs all the defensive skill, power of recovery and hardness of tackle of the full-back, yet he must ally these to the enterprise of the inside-forward.”

What Duncan is describing here is nothing like the role of a centre-half, even in the modern game. He is clearly describing a central midfielder, using the term ‘midfield’ on numerous occasions and his ability to ‘dominate’ a game. He continues:

“Two-footed he must be, for every reason under the sun. Not only must he be able to kick the ball hard with his left or right foot, but must be able to shoot too – powerfully and with complete control over direction. He must have the initiative and confidence to burst through the middle suddenly when everybody on the other side is waiting for a pass. And when his side is piling on the pressure he must prowl just outside the goal area waiting for the pass or the loose ball that will enable him to fire in a shot when everyone else is crowded out.

Then his two-footedness is a prize asset is switching the direction of play suddenly. The wing-half moving away to his left can suddenly pivot on his right foot and slam a long ball away to his right-winger. There is nothing like a change in direction to splinter a defence.”

Duncan was primarily right footed, however his school master made him play game after game with only his left foot until it was as good as his right. Thus not only was he truly two-footed, but was good enough to play on the left side of midfield for both Manchester United and England.

In terms of his passing game, Edwards explained:

“However, most of the wing-half’s passes will go to his own wing man or inside-forward. Those to the inside-forward are generally of the push-and-run variety, and he should immediately move into a position for the return pass. The pass to the winger is harder, and wherever possible it should be masked.

Styles of wing-half differ greatly, depending on the needs of the team.

Some are allowed to concentrate on attack, while others are pulled back into a defensive role – particularly if the other side have an especially brilliant inside-forward who needs checking. Some play a delicate, probing type of football like Tottenham’s Danny Blanchflower, while others, like myself, recognise their strength and rely on power.
My own idea of the top class wing-half is that he should defend and attack with equal competence, and he should always remember that he is nearest thing to perpetual motion the game will ever see. It is a position that will sap a man’s strength both physically and mentally. Yet it is infinitely satisfying.”

Duncan’s description of himself in the last paragraph, ‘perpetual motion’ was also the moniker given to Bryan Robson in his heyday, characteristics that you would find in most players portrayed as ‘box-to-box’ midfielders. Once again, Duncan is not describing the attributes of a central defender.

In fact, this description probably gives us the best indication of the type of player Edwards was, even if Bryan Robson was more prolific in goalscoring terms.

Pele slots into the tip of the diamond and will look to enjoy dropping into the space there to run the game. Pulling more from his all-round game here, I wanted him to operate a little deeper, and influence the game. Pulling him back "into the hole" allows him to drop deeper as he liked to do, get on the ball, and turn and run at the defense, or link up with the movement and hardworking players ahead.

The Front Three
Romario leads the line and his movement in and around the box allows the wider players in Stoichkov and Boniek to find pockets to move into and attack. Both wide players were also incredibly hard working players and would support the midfield and defense by closing down the full backs and dropping deeper as needed. Stoichkov and Romario rekindling their partnership, which was, for a time, a joy to behold.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...hkov-barcelona-johan-cruyff-manchester-united

For once there were no excuses, even though there was an excuse. There was no ranting about the ref, no bemoaning bad luck, no recriminations over the foreigner rule that forcibly left Peter Schmeichel on the bench. November 2, 1994, and Manchester United had been sliced apart by Barcelona in a performance of such brutal beauty, such wonder, that there was no point complaining. There was just acceptance. The best team had won, and won brilliantly. “We have been well and truly slaughtered,” admitted Alex Ferguson. “In the end, it was a humbling experience for us.”

So humbling, in fact, that Paul Parker still refuses to set foot inside the Camp Nou. He continues to have nightmares about the 4-0 hammering his side suffered. Parker’s United team-mate Gary Pallister remembers it as “the one time in my career when I came off the pitch and just had to accept that I hadn’t been able to get anywhere near my opponent. I was completely shell-shocked afterwards.”

Barcelona’s performance had been awe-inspiring, La Vanguardia describing it as a “recital.” “Barcelona humiliate United,” added The Times.
At the heart of that world were the most dashingly impressive strikers on the planet, the outstanding performers from that summer’s World Cup – Romario and Hristo Stoichkov. Romario was Brazil’s best player, Stoichkov USA 94’s top scorer as Bulgaria incredibly reached the semi-final.

A month after the United game, Stoichkov was named European Footballer of the Year. Together, they were arguably the best partnership the Camp Nou had ever seen. They were certainly the most excitable, as swift with their tongues - and sometimes even their fists - as they were with their feet.

That night, the Brazilian scored one and the Bulgarian two – the second, his 100th for the club. “We just couldn’t handle the speed of Stoichkov and Romario,” Ferguson recognised. “The suddenness with which they attacked was a new experience.”

“United had no answer to the skill, speed and imagination of Stoichkov and Romario, at times moving through their defence with an ease as impudent as it was embarrassing,” wrote David Lacey. “Pallister and Bruce were both auditioning for the role of Juliet: Romario, Romario, wherefore art thou Romario? And nobody had a clue about Stoichkov’s whereabouts.”

Enigma_87

You know who
I was a bit perplexed about the lack of full back in Skizzo's choices during the drafting process but now finally unraveled as a plan. :D

Love Figueroa and to me he's one of the finest defenders to ever graced the game. I wouldn't use him as a side back or RCB without a wingback personally because to me he's focal point of the defence and should be central, whereas there are better options to cover the side and also push forward. Personally in this set up I find Skizzo's team to be a bit narrow on the right side and with this in mind we can defend better being more compact and reduce the opposition space and time on the ball. Boniek also is wide forward and not out and out winger who I'd ideally want in this formation so he can provide more space for his team mates.

In terms of our set up I think when we are on the ball we have the personnel to attack the flanks and pull Krol/Figueroa wide which will make space for our strikers in the box/just outside it which means more chances to score.

I'm not really familiar with those forays of Figueroa on the flank and wherever I've seen him pus forward it's from the center of the pitch where he naturally occupied. Maybe some video evidence would help to envisage this role of his.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Two teams with 3 man defenses in the final games. GSTQ be happy :drool:

Skizzo

Good luck to you too mate. Might not be around a whole lot today as I have the kids, but I'll check in as I can.

I was a bit perplexed about the lack of full back in Skizzo's choices during the drafting process but now finally unraveled as a plan. :D
Tried to keep it somewhat under wraps for a while, but eventually when I've picked 9 guys and no full backs then I figured you'd probably have an idea :lol:

Love Figueroa and to me he's one of the finest defenders to ever graced the game. I wouldn't use him as a side back or RCB without a wingback personally because to me he's focal point of the defence and should be central, whereas there are better options to cover the side and also push forward. Personally in this set up I find Skizzo's team to be a bit narrow on the right side and with this in mind we can defend better being more compact and reduce the opposition space and time on the ball. Boniek also is wide forward and not out and out winger who I'd ideally want in this formation so he can provide more space for his team mates.
In terms of how we're set up, Figueroa wouldn't be someone to provide width. When he pushed forward, it was through the middle, not on any kind of overlap. I wouldn't want him as some sort of marauding full back.

In terms of our set up I think when we are on the ball we have the personnel to attack the flanks and pull Krol/Figueroa wide which will make space for our strikers in the box/just outside it which means more chances to score.
Who would be providing your width here to stretch things as needed? Laudrup is even less an out and out winger than Boniek, and it seems your full backs would be your primary source of width, and with Stoichkov and Boniek both being hard working grafters who would put in a shift defensively, as well as require some supervision, I don't see a constant struggle of our defenders getting pulled all over the pitch.

My questions for how you'd deal with things would be as follows:

1. Xavi is the deeper player in midfield, so who would be most concerned with stopping Pele operating in that area in front of your defenders? It seems a glaring opening in terms of who would stop him running things there.
  2. Which version of Ronaldo is playing here? He's on the right so not really his prime inside left position where he played with Real, but he'll be switching with Puskas, so Puskas would also be dropping into more of an inside right position when they swap and then Ronaldo would be the forward?
For us I see the following areas in terms of being an advantage, or how we'd cope with things.
  1. As mentioned above, Pele operating in the hole there with Xavi as the deepest midfielder would be key for us.
  2. Two hard working wingers in Stoichkov and Boniek who wouldn't leave the full backs alone, would pressure defensively, and would look to burst into those areas of space on counter attacks when Alves and Brehme are out of position.
  3. Davids and Neeskens are both hard working midfield players who would put in a shift. That being said, up against Matthaus and Edwards, they might have found two players they can't boss around. If you stretch that to including Laudrup and Xavi, and Desailly and Pele, our midfield has an advantage of work-rate, physicality, goal threat.
  4. To build on that point, there's not one area of our team you could look at and find a "passenger" or someone who wouldn't be working hard on and off the ball. On the opposition you have at least two players in Laudrup and Ronaldo, in the same area no less, who wouldn't necessarily be the hardest working once the ball is lost. Fine margins in a game like this can make all the difference, and having two players there who wouldn't be working hard off the ball allows Figueroa, Krol, Baresi etc to find those passes from the back and start to build past that forward line. Compared to the other side, there's no easy way for an out because from front to back we have people who would work, work, work.

Himannv

Was really surprised you didn't go for Vogts there, @Skizzo - he seems a lot more suited to that position. I think when you have a back 3, you need a wide CB that is actually going to be comfortable defending wide, and I've not seen anything from Figueroa to really suggest that. I mean, he's obviously a great defender, but it's just a very strange fit considering the choices available.

I don't really fancy him dealing with Brehme - I mean, we're talking about one of the best attacking fullbacks around and I don't fancy anyone who is shoehorned into an unfamiliar role against him.

I mean, just look at the first few minutes of this Brehme compilation for instance:

He's a significant attacking threat on the flank and I'm really unsure how Figueroa will deal with that and it looks like your instructions are to play more centrally anyway. Now, I'd be less concerned if there wasn't a top drawer header of the ball getting on the end of those balls in from wide, but there is. Cristiano is just a freak as an aerial theat and he'll feast on that sort of service.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Good luck to you too mate. Might not be around a whole lot today as I have the kids, but I'll check in as I can.
pretty much the same mate :)
Tried to keep it somewhat under wraps for a while, but eventually when I've picked 9 guys and no full backs then I figured you'd probably have an idea :lol:

In terms of how we're set up, Figueroa wouldn't be someone to provide width. When he pushed forward, it was through the middle, not on any kind of overlap. I wouldn't want him as some sort of marauding full back.
With Krol you still had the chance to go for flat back four till the end of your last picks I reckoned so you hid it well :) As for Figueroa, if he doesn't push forward from the side it means Boniek is the sole provider of width on the right and he was definitely the roaming type of wide forward. Matthaus also when he surged forward he rarely used the flank but came through the middle. Still think a Vogts/Lahm type would suited you a lot better.

Who would be providing your width here to stretch things as needed? Laudrup is even less an out and out winger than Boniek, and it seems your full backs would be your primary source of width, and with Stoichkov and Boniek both being hard working grafters who would put in a shift defensively, as well as require some supervision, I don't see a constant struggle of our defenders getting pulled all over the pitch.
I think we have the midfield that is more focused on controlling the game and having larger possession whilst you are more suited to counter attacking football. Having this in mind Laudrup is someone that loved drifting wide. He used both wings in his game and his finesse, eye for the pass and dribbling ability makes him a real nightmare to defence against, regardless of how great the opposition was:
He drifted a lot and either squared it, crossed it or cut inside to finish a move himself. What is key for him is also the ability to pick a man either with a through ball, lob or leaving his marker and creating a numerical advantage.

On that side of course we have one of the best width providers in Brehme who is a natural wing back/full back and of course Davids when we're in possession.

In terms of flanks we can easily overload it on both sides as we have one of the best side box to box midfielders, attacking full backs and wide forwards who can use both the inside channel and outside.

My questions for how you'd deal with things would be as follows:

1. Xavi is the deeper player in midfield, so who would be most concerned with stopping Pele operating in that area in front of your defenders? It seems a glaring opening in terms of who would stop him running things there.
  2. Which version of Ronaldo is playing here? He's on the right so not really his prime inside left position where he played with Real, but he'll be switching with Puskas, so Puskas would also be dropping into more of an inside right position when they swap and then Ronaldo would be the forward?
Nope. That's always a thing with formation graphics. He's not playing as a DM here, but his natural game. We have two of the greatest defensive B2B players in Neeskens and Davids to let Xavi chase shadows in this game. Pele will be zonally marked by either Neeskens or Davids, depending on where he goes and both are well equipped in handling his game. Xavi of course will be engaged in the midfield battle, but not in the DM sense that we see in formation graphics.

When we are on the ball he will drop back to initiate the move, but off the ball either Davids or Neeskens will occupy that zone around Pele.

2. First years at Madrid when he played in a free role and used both wings. Laudrup and Cristiano are interchangeable pair that can occupy either wing and attack through where the gaps in defence are. The key part is that both Laudrup and Cristiano can use the overlapping full backs(depending on which side we attack) who wan provide the width and allow them to combine in the inside channels or as I said look for openings in the defence.

For us I see the following areas in terms of being an advantage, or how we'd cope with things.
  1. As mentioned above, Pele operating in the hole there with Xavi as the deepest midfielder would be key for us.
  2. Two hard working wingers in Stoichkov and Boniek who wouldn't leave the full backs alone, would pressure defensively, and would look to burst into those areas of space on counter attacks when Alves and Brehme are out of position.
  3. Davids and Neeskens are both hard working midfield players who would put in a shift. That being said, up against Matthaus and Edwards, they might have found two players they can't boss around. If you stretch that to including Laudrup and Xavi, and Desailly and Pele, our midfield has an advantage of work-rate, physicality, goal threat.
  4. To build on that point, there's not one area of our team you could look at and find a "passenger" or someone who wouldn't be working hard on and off the ball. On the opposition you have at least two players in Laudrup and Ronaldo, in the same area no less, who wouldn't necessarily be the hardest working once the ball is lost. Fine margins in a game like this can make all the difference, and having two players there who wouldn't be working hard off the ball allows Figueroa, Krol, Baresi etc to find those passes from the back and start to build past that forward line. Compared to the other side, there's no easy way for an out because from front to back we have people who would work, work, work.
1. As I said Xavi will not act as a DM in the defensive phase, nor he's occupying the zone Pele operating.
2. We have the best possible midfielders to cover on the side for our attacking full backs in Davids/Neeskens. Naturally we aim to control the game and have larger share of the possession so this is the reason why we picked attacking full backs. In the same mold we can overload the flanks and pull the CB's wide.
3. Davids and Neeskens doesn't just put a shift. They are one of the highest energy midfielders in history and if you are looking at stamina levels they are the barometer. Our midfield is more build towards controlling the game whilst yours is more used to counter, which IMO fits well in the quartet of both personnel. We have the best player in history to dictate the game surrounded with players that are on the same wavelength.
4. When Ronaldo came to Madrid he wasn't the passenger version of himself that he's now, so he will put a shift in. I don't expect him to chase people like madman, but he is not a passenger either, compared to Romario who never really put a shift in from what I've seen of him. Laudrup also played in Cruyff's dream team and before their relationship broke apart he was the key man in that set up but not the lazy git he's described.

All in all tbh I think we both built balanced sides that can play to their strengths and ours is more suited to possession football and yours to counter attacking.

GodShaveTheQueen

In the Ajax 1995 formation as well, Reizeger the RCB wasnt really a wide CB I think. Its workable with the right of RCM and Matthaus will be super handy.

But with Desailly at DM ready to drop in at CB, not going for Vogts is definitely an oversight

Skizzo

In the Ajax 1995 formation as well, Reizeger the RCB wasnt really a wide CB I think. Its workable with the right of RCM and Matthaus will be super handy.

But with Desailly at DM ready to drop in at CB, not going for Vogts is definitely an oversight
In terms of not going with Berti, basically the upside to him would be being more comfortable wider than Figueroa, but if Ronaldo takes up space out wide on that side, Vogts wouldn’t stand much chance with any crosses towards Ronaldo. With Krol and Figueroa, it puts two players who are comfortable and a presence in the air that would negate a lot of that threat.

Basically the upside to Vogts going wider than Figueroa is less than the upside to having two “wide” cb’s who are a physical aerial presence against that.

Krol has more freedom to support wider, but on the right side we’d look for Matthaus to support that side, as Figueroa would operate slightly more centrally. Defensively, Blokhin would offer a lot of support down that side and wouldn’t let that flank be overrun.

GodShaveTheQueen

Would have been nice if you actually had Blokhin, much like it would have been nice if you had Vogts.
This is what happens when you give someone Maldini, Maradona, Matthaus, Baggio - they get cocky

Himannv

I don't think he needs any introduction since he's been voted as the best playmaker of all time by the RedCafe draft community. He's a true maestro and all set to run this game with proper defensive cover around him. He's easily the best passer on the pitch and I think he'd relish playing off Laudrup in particular.

Some quotes not in @harms post linked above:

Santi Cazorla: “There will never be a player like Xavi. I was fortunate to play with him and I learned something new every day. He’s a player that made the difficult look easy, simplifying everything.”

Ander Herrera: “Xavi is unique; there won’t be another player like him. The style of Barcelona and the national team was forged through him.”

Cesc Fabregas: “One of the big mistakes people make is to talk about who can be the next Xavi, to keep looking for him. We waste time constantly looking for the replacement for Xavi? There will never be another Xavi.”

Jorge Voldano: “If football was a science, Xavi would have discovered the formula. With a ball at his feet, no one else has ever communicated so intelligently with every player on the pitch.”

Johan Cruyff: “If Xavi has a bad day then Barcelona do not play half as well. He is the one that sets the rhythm of the game. His play allows the team to function. He’s different.”

Iker Casillas: “People ask me every year who [I’d] take out of the Barcelona team to give us a better chance of winning and every year I tell them the same: Xavi. His control and use of the ball make him their best player.”

Thiago Alcantara: “Xavi is eternal. Even when he is not at his very best level physically, he plays a kind of football that gives oxygen to a team, play, speed. It makes me sad to think that I won’t be able to watch Xavi [in Europe] for more time. He’ll always have that level. He is football. He is one of those players that has made Barcelona what it is today.”

Sir Alex Ferguson:“It wasn’t really Messi who was the problem. It was Iniesta and Xavi. They can keep the ball all night long.”

Here he is having just another typical day in the office:

This next one was not a typical day in the office obviously because it was the grandest stage of them all. I spent this game staring daggers at the TV screen or cussing under my breath wondering how the game was so easy for him and willing our players to shut him down. Its not like we weren't trying or anything, he was just too good and just had such a good snapshot of where everyone was in his brain, what the play after the play was going to be, and just seemed to find Barca players at will. He dropped a bit deeper between the CBs at times in this one and ran the game from there but also stepped forward and picked those probing passes or quick possession maintaining ones. Bloody frustrating as a United fan, but he was immense and knew just what was needed to orchestrate the whole damn show.

Skizzo

Would have been nice if you actually had Blokhin, much like it would have been nice if you had Vogts.
Yeah, Boniek. I always have to try and catch myself between typing the wrong one. I think I did it a couple of times in the write up too and caught it when reading back through.

Enigma_87

You know who
In terms of not going with Berti, basically the upside to him would be being more comfortable wider than Figueroa, but if Ronaldo takes up space out wide on that side, Vogts wouldn’t stand much chance with any crosses towards Ronaldo. With Krol and Figueroa, it puts two players who are comfortable and a presence in the air that would negate a lot of that threat.

Basically the upside to Vogts going wider than Figueroa is less than the upside to having two “wide” cb’s who are a physical aerial presence against that.

Krol has more freedom to support wider, but on the right side we’d look for Matthaus to support that side, as Figueroa would operate slightly more centrally. Defensively, Blokhin would offer a lot of support down that side and wouldn’t let that flank be overrun.
I do think it’s redundant to have Desailly and Figueroa in that set up with the latter pushed wide. It would be much more comfortable for your set up to have someone who will go wide to face Brehme rather than lose Figueroa on the side.

with a RB you can always reshape to flat back four and have someone like Desailly in the middle rather than have a CB who is not really the Bergomi type that is comfortable at RB like as RCB.
Reiziger also in the LvG set up is exactly the type that is comfortable to defend wide and played a lot as RB throughout his career.

a back three is very difficult to put up when it’s all GOAT territory all over the pitch and important to get the balance right.
Is @Himannv an AM here?
Yep, we are both in for the ride.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Just dipping in for a couple of posts tops, as it's not really my battle to fight.

pretty much the same mate :)

With Krol you still had the chance to go for flat back four till the end of your last picks I reckoned so you hid it well :) As for Figueroa, if he doesn't push forward from the side it means Boniek is the sole provider of width on the right and he was definitely the roaming type of wide forward. Matthaus also when he surged forward he rarely used the flank but came through the middle. Still think a Vogts/Lahm type would suited you a lot better.
It almost goes without saying as the gold standard box-to-box midfielder that Matthaus dominated every blade of grass on the park. Here are a couple of examples of his flank work - in the two biggest games of his career, no less.

His work on and off the ball makes that flank work IMO. With Boniek's hard-running, two-way, Duracell-Bunny style pressing and probing Brehme, the flank looks locked down.

Enigma_87

You know who
It almost goes without saying as the gold standard box-to-box midfielder that Matthaus dominated every blade of grass on the park. Here are a couple of examples of his flank work - in the two biggest games of his career, no less.

His work on and off the ball makes that flank work IMO. With Boniek's hard-running, two-way, Duracell-Bunny style pressing and probing Brehme, the flank looks locked down.
I certainly don’t doubt Matthaus ability and I’m sure you’ll find isolated cases of him going wide but to me that’s not his ideal game and considering other options I’d prefer the RCM type of B2B despite not being at his all time level.

It’s nitpicking here and there of course because there are no obvious weak links in either team so the balance probably will shade it in the end.

GodShaveTheQueen

The idea of debating before voting has actually been more than decent, quite impressive from the managers as compared to the usual match threads. The problem has been that there is no neutral participation in debates as we usually have, maybe voting not open yet has made them less involved.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I certainly don’t doubt Matthaus ability and I’m sure you’ll find isolated cases of him going wide but to me that’s not his ideal game and considering other options I’d prefer the RCM type of B2B despite not being at his all time level.
To be fair I'm sure I could find plenty of more. Those were just a couple of high-profile examples that were on his short-but-sweet Italia '90 compilation. But regardless, if you're looking at types of side central midfielders, it's basically the guys who weren't that great off the ball who struggle to perform that hybrid central/wide function. Matthaus would be absolutely fine given he's probably the best off-the-ball midfielder of all time. If we consider the attributes required in the RCM role, he ticks all the boxes in my book - engine, pace (to cover more ground), defensive aptitude, ball carrying (to burst into space). If anything, it's a role that actually demands those qualities that Matthaus excels in and, as such, amplifies what he can bring to the game.

Skizzo

Nope. That's always a thing with formation graphics. He's not playing as a DM here, but his natural game. We have two of the greatest defensive B2B players in Neeskens and Davids to let Xavi chase shadows in this game. Pele will be zonally marked by either Neeskens or Davids, depending on where he goes and both are well equipped in handling his game. Xavi of course will be engaged in the midfield battle, but not in the DM sense that we see in formation graphics.
In all of their teams, they were always partnered with someone who was more of a "static" DM so to speak. Someone who would be the water carrier alongside their defensive box-to-box game. Davids was in teams with Deschamps, Rijkaard etc, players who typically were the defense-first type and wouldn't be as adventurous, leaving Davids with more freedom to push up as he did.

Neeskens played with Jansen, Haan etc. Again, similar situation to Davids, having someone as a more defense-first player allowing him to roam and play box-to-box.

Obviously they are both hard working players, but having them both there just waiting for Pele to come into their zone to start picking him up seems incredibly dangerous to leave the GOAT goat to operate. Especially in phases of the game when you're holding the ball, and lose it and we make a quick transition with the rapid front three streaking forward, there's no one directly responsible for Pele. Zonal marking on him in that large a space in front of the back four seems like something that would cause problems.

Enigma_87

You know who
To be fair I'm sure I could find plenty of more. Those were just a couple of high-profile examples that were on his short-but-sweet Italia '90 compilation. But regardless, if you're looking at types of side central midfielders, it's basically the guys who weren't that great off the ball who struggle to perform that hybrid central/wide function. Matthaus would be absolutely fine given he's probably the best off-the-ball midfielder of all time. If we consider the attributes required in the RCM role, he ticks all the boxes in my book - engine, pace (to cover more ground), defensive aptitude, ball carrying (to burst into space). If anything, it's a role that actually demands those qualities that Matthaus excels in and, as such, amplifies what he can bring to the game.
If we go with where he can play, he's one of the most complete footballers, but that doesn't mean it's his forte or best position. Neeskens can play as a RB and often played as such, but his peak came as a CM.

If there is full game highlights where he occupied mostly the wide channel I'd be happy to review and revise as this is something I've not seen Matthaus do on regular basis.

In all of their teams, they were always partnered with someone who was more of a "static" DM so to speak. Someone who would be the water carrier alongside their defensive box-to-box game. Davids was in teams with Deschamps, Rijkaard etc, players who typically were the defense-first type and wouldn't be as adventurous, leaving Davids with more freedom to push up as he did.

Neeskens played with Jansen, Haan etc. Again, similar situation to Davids, having someone as a more defense-first player allowing him to roam and play box-to-box.

Obviously they are both hard working players, but having them both there just waiting for Pele to come into their zone to start picking him up seems incredibly dangerous to leave the GOAT goat to operate. Especially in phases of the game when you're holding the ball, and lose it and we make a quick transition with the rapid front three streaking forward, there's no one directly responsible for Pele. Zonal marking on him in that large a space in front of the back four seems like something that would cause problems.
That is not what I said though. It's like probably every team out there operates - either defend in zones or man mark. We won't give him much space and he will be picked and closely marked but not by a single player like Vogts type of hounding him and chasing him all over the pitch. He's obviously very mobile player to just stick someone to breath in his neck and considering we have a lot of GOAT's on show not the best practice IMO.

As for Davids and Neeskens - they are obviously both very intelligent players and played in variety of positions, not just one and filled in many roles, DM/B2B. side midfielder, right back,etc. We're not playing by a specific blueprint here and in Neeskens case he didn't just play with Jansen and Haan but for Barca filled in even at CB and played without a designated DM when they won the CWC and Copa del Rey.

Naturally it's not a historical set up that we're recreating so as much as it can be said about Neeskens/Davids playing alongside a more static DM, Stoichkov and Boniek usually mostly played as a SS or WF in a front three rather than 4 man attack with Pele, whilst also tasked with tracking back and helping midfield/defence.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
If we go with where he can play, he's one of the most complete footballers, but that doesn't mean it's his forte or best position. Neeskens can play as a RB and often played as such, but his peak came as a CM.

If there is full game highlights where he occupied mostly the wide channel I'd be happy to review and revise as this is something I've not seen Matthaus do on regular basis.
The difference is that Matthaus isn't shunted out to RB, he's playing in a similar area of the park to where he played most of his career. Indeed the demands of the side-CM roles in this 3-4-3 play to Matthaus's strengths. I'd wager it would be his forte playing this dynamic space-covering box-to-box role.

To further those credentials and to give one example, here is Matthaus playing for West Germany in 1986 in a 3-1 win over Holland on the right of midfield as a wing-back.

Now that is wider than he is playing here. And look at this lovely piece of wingmanship here:

If the point is about players not operating in the exact replication of their peak set-up, then we could make the same points about Cristiano in an inside-right role rather than on his Madrid LF peak, or about Xavi as the pivot rather than his Barcelona RCM peak, and so on. And to be frank those are probably bigger leaps from how they played in their prime when compared to Lothar tearing up and down the park.

Enigma_87

You know who
The difference is that Matthaus isn't shunted out to RB, he's playing in a similar area of the park to where he played most of his career. Indeed the demands of the side-CM roles in this 3-4-3 play to Matthaus's strengths. I'd wager it would be his forte playing this dynamic space-covering box-to-box role.

To further those credentials and to give one example, here is Matthaus playing for West Germany in 1986 in a 3-1 win over Holland on the right of midfield as a wing-back.

Now that is wider than he is playing here. And look at this lovely piece of wingmanship here:

If the point is about players not operating in the exact replication of their peak set-up, then we could make the same points about Cristiano in an inside-right role rather than on his Madrid LF peak, or about Xavi as the pivot rather than his Barcelona RCM peak, and so on. And to be frank those are probably bigger leaps from how they played in their prime when compared to Lothar tearing up and down the park.
Thanks for the highlights, Gio, will look them up and see how he fared in that game. To be perfectly honest if that's the plan then I'll gladly take it as it will allow Xavi to have a better grip on the game as surely Matthaus will have to cover wide, especially when we attack through that side of the pitch.

As for Cristiano - as mentioned he's in free role and in his first three seasons at Madrid he occupied both flanks and started as striker in some games. Our entire front three is interchangeable and Puskas can drop into pockets allowing Cristiano/Laudrup to storm in the box from either side.

I've explained Xavi's positioning and in the defensive phase he's well covered to act as a pivot, which is not his role here.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is what happens when you give someone Maldini, Maradona, Matthaus, Baggio - they get cocky
:lol:

I love both teams. This happens when both teams are just GOATS.

I think with Boniek there, he helps to free up Matthaus more, on right side. Puskas and Ronaldo up front is just insane.

Last edited:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
In Skizzo's team,I think it would be better,if you put Baresi on the right side and Figueroa at the central role of back3.I know that you put Baresi in the central for commanding and organizing your back3 but Figueroa instead him in the central isn't drag your team to become worse,since Baresi and Figueroa have the highest levels of reading the games from center-backs group(even I rate Baresi little-bit better).Baresi in his playing days often used wide areas for starting the attack and joining the attack from the back.Compare Figueroa to Baresi,Baresi covered the wide area better than Figueroa and he often came to wide area to covered his left/right backs more than Figueroa and don't forget that in the central role the person that has better aerial skills take advantage and that's more suitable for Figueroa.

In this Conte formation which isn't similar to you....yes
But I want to show that the natural of lcb and rcb in back3 should be some of attacking skills too and that suitable for Baresi,In Conte's Inter Milan Skriniar and Bastoni always acted like fullbacks even sometimes they were on the line of attackers.

Baresi sometimes had an agressive habbit of out position for helping covered full-backs.

Another thing is Figueroa isn't Beckenbauer and Scirea type of libero or center back that often joined the attack and made some long passes during the game,instead of that he rarely joined the attack and usually made some easy short passes to midfielder or attackers,he ran to joined the attack less than Passarella,Beckenbauer,Scirea or even Baresi for sure in back4.In fact he is considered to be more of a pure defender.

Yes,you're absoultely right,@Skizzo
Neeskens was classified as more of an offensive box to box who ran a lot during the games for defensive phase similar to Gerrard and Matthaus.As you said before he had Haan,Jensen etc.
For Davids,it's look a bit different since I rate Davids as a better defensive player and played a bit more defensive than Neeskens but he still had water carrier players alongside him.

Deschamps played behind him so Davids had a free role ran up and down and a lot of times he would joined the attacking phase to helped Zidane.He even took some long-range shots too.

In this season 2002/2003,he had Tacchinardi as water-carrier role(more defensive minded) to helped him in defensive-jobs.

To make Davids and Neeskens shine brightest you need a bit of water-carrier to help them and in this game although they are two of the highest energy midfielders that this planet have ever seen,they faced Pele.So,they wouldn't shine as brightest as they should be for sure.But I'm sure that Davids and Neeskens would make Pele a lot of trouble too(due to both of them "pitbulls"attitude).

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

To make Davids and Neeskens shine brightest you need a bit of water-carrier to help thema and in this game although they are two of the highest energy midfielders that this planet have ever seen,they faced Pele.So,they wouldn't shine as brightest as they should be for sure.But I'm sure that Davids and Neeskens would make Pele a lot of trouble too(due to both of them "pitbulls"attitude).
Exactly the reason for my vote (apart from the debate)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Fully buy Xavi in Jorginho kind of role partnered with an aggressive b2b dynamo similiar to how Jorginho operates in Chelsea. And here Xavi has two of them. Not sure what's the issue in the defensive phase also considering Xavi was probably the most hardworking midfielder on top of his exceptional passing at his peak. I wouldn't even move him from Pele zone as him, Neeskens and Davids are fully capable of dealing with any threat. Anyway, I like that midfield, it's imaginative and can see them functioning brilliantly. Don't care if they worked in different combos in real life.

Something is slightly off upfront for me in terms of Puskas - Ronaldo partnership though. Both would work better with a different partner playing off him. Puskas a bit withdrawn and someone in the mould of Batistuta would nail it imo.

As for Skizzo, only issue is Figueroa as been already mentioned. Looks strange in that role. Front three looks great.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Davids was often partnered with Pirlo. I mean, if Gattuso (which is similar player to Davids) could do it, Davids could do it better.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Davids was often partnered with Pirlo. I mean, if Gattuso (which is similar player to Davids) could do it, Davids could do it better.
Please dont ever compare that turd with Davids. Otherwise i agree.

GodShaveTheQueen

For me, Neeskens' defensive game is really overrated. Perhaps a Keane there and I would be pretty okay with it.

While the drafting was going on, I was super impressed with Enigma-Himmanv's team but then I thought they were going for a diamond.

-------Ronaldo------Puskas-------
----------------laudrup----------------
------Davids-------Neeskens----
------------------DM-------------------

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Fully buy Xavi in Jorginho kind of role partnered with an aggressive b2b dynamo similiar to how Jorginho operates in Chelsea. And here Xavi has two of them. Not sure what's the issue in the defensive phase also considering Xavi was probably the most hardworking midfielder on top of his exceptional passing at his peak. I wouldn't even move him from Pele zone as him, Neeskens and Davids are fully capable of dealing with any threat. Anyway, I like that midfield, it's imaginative and can see them functioning brilliantly. Don't care if they worked in different combos in real life.
My understanding from Enigma's comments is that Xavi is not playing a Jorginho style game but his normal one and so it seems more like Xavi is ahead of Davids and Neeskens rather than the other way around. I could have got this wrong but that's my best guess

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
For me, Neeskens' defensive game is really overrated. Perhaps a Keane there and I would be pretty okay with it.

While the drafting was going on, I was super impressed with Enigma-Himmanv's team but then I thought they were going for a diamond.

-------Ronaldo------Puskas-------
----------------laudrup----------------
------Davids-------Neeskens----
------------------DM-------------------
completely agree. Think his defensive game is good only in a high pressing team that is filled with press players, otherwise its a bit meh. Considering here you have 3 players that wont do much(lol, you got a love a draft) its a problem.