Drinking culture in football

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The English Football League has asked the Government for the 35-year ban preventing fans drinking alcohol in view of the pitch to be suspended.
why?

surely match going fans can go without alcohol for 2 hours?

if not, then whats gonna happen when they all need a piss at half time?

Santos J

Presumably to recoup some revenue they've been missing out on

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
why?

They are proposing waiter service to your seat, whilst the crowds are minimal ie 2000 people in tier 2 areas.
The idea behind it is to stop people queuing / mingling on the concourses.
I think it’s a good idea, but wouldn’t serve alcohol just soft drinks & food, clearly this will only work with very small crowds, it would be a disaster with full stadiums.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Because it's enjoyable to drink alcohol while watching sport.

SuperiorXI

Some of the bigger games I've been to, I've had to down two pints at HT, not ideal.

Understand why this system is in place though... removing it will lead to more pissed up hooligans like me, can never be good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
With limited attendance I don't see it being a problem.

It's better they're outside drinking than inside the stand where infection can spread more easily.

As for when fans return then they'll need to ensure fans don't go crazy.

Less than 2 hours, you can drink at half time

Just not in view of the pitch
went to the League Cup final a few years ago and missed a couple of goals due to drinking at half time. Swansea won 4-1 I think. It was more to warm ourselves up, it was so cold, and it was Club Wembley, so a bit nicer than the usual concourse.

meamth

I think it's a broadcast issue, so many countries banning alcohol use in broadcast television. My country included. That's why during half time they always cut to studio.

Being a worldwide brand, FA must keep it safe for viewing on all countries.

SuperiorXI

I think it's a broadcast issue, so many countries banning alcohol use in broadcast television. My country included. That's why during half time they always cut to studio.

Wow, something can't be broadcast if it features alcohol? Interesting

K Stand Knut

Wow, something can't be broadcast if it features alcohol? Interesting
Well, I doubt that that is true! The CL is sponsored by Heineken. I don’t think clubs could sell alcohol in the ground on CL nights because of the sponsorship deals but it certainly doesn’t stop drinking in view of the pitch.

I think that ruling came from the hooligan days and not wanting yobs getting pissed whilst the game is on

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think that ruling came from the hooligan days and not wanting yobs getting pissed whilst the game is on
I think so too but am doubtful as to how effective that is. Nothing to stop someone having half a dozen drinks before entering the ground, another couple on the concourse before the match and one or two more at half time. I've done that in the past.

Lynty

I'd love to sit in my seat and watch a match with a pint. Can't trust others to behave or limit themselves. Ban should remain.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
why?

As if you don't need a piss anyway when you've had 5-10 pints before kick-off and then sitting in your seat for almost an hour...

I was very surprised the rule was in place to begin with when I first went to Anfield. Can't say that it bothers me that much but it'd be nice to have a pint whilst watching the football. Basically can't have an ejoyable pint at HT either right now because there's 10min gone before it's your turn and then you have to down yours in a few minutes before the start of the second half.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
As if you don't need a piss anyway when you've had 5-10 pints before kick-off and then sitting in your seat for almost an hour...

I was very surprised the rule was in place to begin with when I first went to Anfield. Can't say that it bothers me that much but it'd be nice to have a pint whilst watching the football. Basically can't have an ejoyable pint at HT either right now because there's 10min gone before it's your turn and then you have to down yours in a few minutes before the start of the second half.
Yeah I wasn't aware of this before coming over to the UK for the first time either. Strange rule. A bit like treating the spectators as children.

Does countries outside of the UK have rules like this?

SuperiorXI

I think so too but am doubtful as to how effective that is. Nothing to stop someone having half a dozen drinks before entering the ground, another couple on the concourse before the match and one or two more at half time. I've done that in the past.
Same, but the 45 minute break does sober you up a bit so at least they have that. The worst thing is needing a piss 15 minutes into the second half.

meamth

Well, I doubt that that is true! The CL is sponsored by Heineken. I don’t think clubs could sell alcohol in the ground on CL nights because of the sponsorship deals but it certainly doesn’t stop drinking in view of the pitch.

Yeah, strictly on live events, alcohol can't be featured, sponsorship montages or advertising board is not a problem.

GazTheLegend

why?

It's allowed in American sports and in the Bundesliga. What's the problem?

The ban is an archaic throwback to when fans in English stadiums simply couldn't behave themselves. People are forever claiming that the composition and dynamic of modern match going fans has changed, so let's get something good out of that at least

K Stand Knut

Disgusting behaviour!!:nono:

Can’t wait to do it again

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
why?

Certainly in Scotland matchday income forms a much higher proportion of clubs' income than anywhere else in Europe. And as such most clubs are in very precarious financial health both short-term (Covid) and long-term (ageing support base with younger fans interested in other leagues/activities). For clubs to survive in the long term the entertainment offer needs to be refreshed to attract more young folk to grounds and allowing them to have a drink whilst watching their team is likely to make it more attractive. What happens at the moment is that the fans cram in their drinks in the pubs around the ground who gain all that business that clubs could be profiting from.

In Scotland the ban on alcohol in grounds was introduced a long time ago when hooliganism was absolutely rampant in order to deal with tanked-up young men. These men are now old age pensioners - so it's not really fair to punish all future generations for a problem that basically no longer exists. Football clubs should fall under the same licensing legislation and adhere to the same standards as every other drinking establishment in the country.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I wasn't aware of this before coming over to the UK for the first time either. Strange rule. A bit like treating the spectators as children.

Does countries outside of the UK have rules like this?
We certainly don't, although our national stadium in Brussels only offers non-alcoholic beer during Belgium games.

The ban is an archaic throwback to when fans in English stadiums simply couldn't behave themselves. People are forever claiming that the composition and dynamic of modern match going fans has changed, so let's get something good out of that at least
At Gladbach, they come around with huge beer cans offering refills during the game, so you don't even have to leave your seat!

manutddjw

I have no idea why you guys have such a problem with alcohol. Drinking heavily is part of the sporting experience. I regularly go to NFL games and people are so drunk by kickoff they can barely stand yet they’re allowed in. Are there fights in the stands and outside? Yes but it’s actually a fraction of the actual attendance.

I made the trip a few times to see united and I can honestly say it was a huge waste of money. You stand up the steward tells you to sit down, you make noise people complain. The whole time you sit there on eggshells scared that this thousands of dollars you spent can be over before the game ends if you don’t sit there and keep quiet unless a goal is scored. If you were allowed to drink it would definitely help things.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
went to the League Cup final a few years ago and missed a couple of goals due to drinking at half time. Swansea won 4-1 I think. It was more to warm ourselves up, it was so cold, and it was Club Wembley, so a bit nicer than the usual concourse.
I did the same for the 2017 League cup final against Southampton. Went into the half buzzing being 2-0 up and then went for a couple of halftime pints. Came back out in the 50th minute grinning from ear to ear only to find out it was 2-2. Was worth it though just to see Ibrahimovic bag the winner late on right in front of us!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I have no idea why you guys have such a problem with alcohol. Drinking heavily is part of the sporting experience. I regularly go to NFL games and people are so drunk by kickoff they can barely stand yet they’re allowed in. Are there fights in the stands and outside? Yes but it’s actually a fraction of the actual attendance.

I made the trip a few times to see united and I can honestly say it was a huge waste of money. You stand up the steward tells you to sit down, you make noise people complain. The whole time you sit there on eggshells scared that this thousands of dollars you spent can be over before the game ends if you don’t sit there and keep quiet unless a goal is scored. If you were allowed to drink it would definitely help things.
Unfortunately Old Trafford is very sterile most of the time. If you can though the singing sections and areas of the Stretford End are good as everyone stands and makes noise. Even better than that are away days, feels like you are part of a small army!

cian68

The rule is idiotic. Same here in Ireland. Go to a rugby match feel like a grown up, go to football people trying to cram in drink before the match like they're going to a school disco

K Stand Knut

You need to come back and stand next to me at games.

I can guarantee that your explanation doesn’t fit my match day experience

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m curious how it’s going to work with Covid restrictions around the toilets. My bladder wouldn’t be able to hold out

golden_blunder

Staff
The rule is idiotic. Same here in Ireland. Go to a rugby match feel like a grown up, go to football people trying to cram in drink before the match like they're going to a school disco
I suppose this is something I don’t get. I can understand having a drink whilst watching the match but feeling the need to cram 3-4 pints in before a game? I’ve never understood the need. Maybe I’m getting old

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I know several people whose pre-match ritual (regardless of when the match starts) involves drinking as much as humanly possible before entering the ground and then proceeding to yell, shout and "sing" for ninety minutes rather than actually paying attention to what happens on the pitch.

I have been to both football and handball (don't ask - it had something to do with someone I knew, biblically, at the time) games in Germany - and the experience of arriving sober as you like for the event, and then buying a beer or two (possibly three) during the game was very enjoyable (and seemed quite civilized to me).

Dan_F

Definitely not a rule here, anyone who’s been to watch cricket or rugby will know. It was absolutely introduced because of hooliganism. Pretty sure they cut to the studio at half time for analysis :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I suppose this is something I don’t get. I can understand having a drink whilst watching the match but feeling the need to cram 3-4 pints in before a game? I’ve never understood the need. Maybe I’m getting old
I haven't been a regular match goer (in England) for years - but when I was, this was very much a thing: Kick-off at X o' clock - hit the pub hours before. Then move on to the ground. Then hit a pub close to the ground. Then stagger into the ground, trying to look as sober as possible.

I never liked it - because I actually prefer to watch the football I'm paying good money to watch in a more or less conscious state, but yeah - it was a thing, and several people I regularly watched football with were habitually shit-faced during the match.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The ironic thing is that Bundesliga actually temporarily banned alcohol because of Covid, while in England they want to allow it, because of Covid? :lol:

I don't think it's much of an issue in normal times. The odd drunk idiot can be reigned in by their mates or handled by stadium security or the police.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The ironic thing is that Bundesliga actually temporarily banned alcohol because of Covid, while in England they want to allow it, because of Covid? :houllier:
Hey, now - lishen: according to well known scienticians, booze kills Covid.

Or at leasht - if you're in a state of perpetual inebriation, you won't catch Covid. Or - you won't realize you've caught it, at leasht.

why?

Because lots of people enjoy having a drink. Particularly while watching a game.

Nobody is going to be forced to drink so can't see why you're moaning?

They manage toilets fine at all other sporting events around the world where alcohol is drink pitch side.

Alcohol is also allowed in the lower leagues.

Grow up.