Dutch FA’s decision to excuse Ajax from league game last weekend...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not really been discussed as such, but Ajax had their league game last weekend postponed in order to allow them to prepare for their Champions League match against Real. As we saw on Tuesday, it certainly didn’t have a negative effect.

What do we think of this? Should federations do things like this more often?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely. Anything that can be done to help our clubs in Europe should be done. Sadly, TV contracts will likely always get in the way.

cian68

Liverpool playing on a Sunday this week before their Bayern game is a bit of a joke.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Rennes did the same thing last weekend

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't mind. Other Dutch fans probably took the piss a bit calling them soft shites but it looks like it worked a treat.

Dave89

Can't say I'm a Real fan, but frankly it's a disgrace. If you don't have the squad to play multiple competitions, don't enter them

binary bot
Makes sense if you're the last team from the league in the competition. Becomes an issue of fairness if theres multiple teams. Can you imagine the FA rearranging four teams and the accusations from Liverpool/City.

The Firestarter

I presume he thinks it’s unfair on their CL opponent if they are afforded a weekend off when they aren’t.
Would be a disgrace if this was done by UEFA. Since it's Dutch FA this is completely internal matter. It would be beneficial for them if a Dutch team progressed far in Europe , so it is natural that they'd help them.

Cloud7

I think it’s a good idea. The FA’s of the respective countries should be willing to help their clubs do better.

That being said, where would you draw the line. It’s all well and good saying we should get a rest before Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, but then how do we draw the line? What if Spurs wanted a rest before playing Dortmund? What if City determined that Schalke are a tricky enough team that they need the weekend off to prepare?

For that reason I think it’s a non starter.

marktan

Any idea why the FA never re-arranges dates to help CL teams? Is it because of TV contracts or just due to the logistics?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I remember we chose to withdraw from the FA Cup after 99 because the FA didn’t want to be flexible for us.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Liverpool playing on a Sunday this week before their Bayern game is a bit of a joke.
It really is. Unfortunately, I don't see things changing. Prem and TV schedules.

Spotkick

Can't say I'm a Real fan, but frankly it's a disgrace. If you don't have the squad to play multiple competitions, don't enter them
You know what a disgrace is? That real madrid got outclassed by a bunch of youngsters from ajax despite them having a budget 100 times bigger than ajax. That ramos thought they would win it in madrid after being 2nd best in amsterdam.
On: They did it because the Dutch are fighting Austria for a direct CL spot for the champion of their leagues. We should respect this minor adjustment from the Dutch FA. Its not like in England where a club who had a louzy season and finishes in 4th get a CL spot. In fact they should change the name to something else because champions league isnt a proper name for it anymore.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was fatigue always this "relevant" ? You'd think that with these large squads most top clubs should be capable of playing multiple games in a week without fatigue issues.

Moriarty

I remember we chose to withdraw from the FA Cup after 99 because the FA didn’t want to be flexible for us.
That and the pressure they applied to get us to play in that tournament. We should have told them to shove it given the way the FA and Football League treated us down the years.

Eire Red United

Not really been discussed as such, but Ajax had their league game last weekend postponed in order to allow them to prepare for their Champions League match against Real. As we saw on Tuesday, it certainly didn’t have a negative effect.

What do we think of this? Should federations do things like this more often?
Fair play.

Dave89

You know what a disgrace is? That real madrid got outclassed by a bunch of youngsters from ajax despite them having a budget 100 times bigger than ajax. That ramos thought they would win it in madrid after being 2nd best in amsterdam.
On: They did it because the Dutch are fighting Austria for a direct CL spot for the champion of their leagues. We should respect this minor adjustment from the Dutch FA. Its not like in England where a club who had a louzy season and finishes in 4th get a CL spot. In fact they should change the name to something else because champions league isnt a proper name for it anymore.
Hard to argue with you that real's own performance was disgraceful, but league bodies should not be showing preferential treatment to individual clubs.

arnie_ni

No issue. Its up to each individual league to decide.

I would have an issue if there was multiple teams from one league left and not all teams got the same treatment within the same league

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Düsseldorf vs Frankfurt tomorrow, Inter vs Frankfurt on Thursday.

Great move DFL...

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not sure about it.

Their league opponents, PEC Zwolle now have to play Ajax midweek this week ahead of an important away match against Excelsior. It's a big relegation matchup. Excelsior have the full week to prepare.

Last edited:

Gasolin

It's unfair competition for sure. But small federations will do it if it helps their teams and we cannot really blame them.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
The domestic league is the bread and butter, so shouldn't be moved around for a European cup competition.

Added to that, it's completely unfair on Ajax's league opponents who now have their schedule impacted. Absolute joke really.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If it's not against the rules then more power to them. Though I do thinkwe should regulate this so that all clubs have an equal advantage.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing that people need to remember is that it's important for smaller leagues to see their teams gain points in UEFA competitions since they have less teams.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Any idea why the FA never re-arranges dates to help CL teams? Is it because of TV contracts or just due to the logistics?
Let's get this right. It's the Prem, not the FA

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Its unfair to the teams in the same league as them and unfair on a wider basis in terms of European competition.

As long as their fixtures allows 2-3 days of recovery in between then they should not be able to cancel the fixture for any other reason than safety grounds.

Its up to the club staff to manage the condition of their own players between fixtures.

If this becomes more of a habit it has negative implications for domestic competition especially in regard to a team who aren't involved in European competition but are challenging a side like Ajax for the league.