Gaming EA Sports UFC 4

No Love

Been playing the BETA for around an hour now. Holy smokes, I am not impressed. Like some kind of Mortal Kombat style thing, totally devoid of realism. Punches are ineffective, with fighters able to absorb an absurd amount of clean shots. Also, some of the character models are horrific. McGregor’s, in particular, will haunt my dreams.

Anyone else had a chance to partake? Thoughts?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never really been a fan of fighting games as they're usually relegated to just button bashing as fast as you can. UFC games in particular just have way too much to do and take downs and grappling was a bit boring.

The best was fight night champion by a mile.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How does one go about getting the beta? Cheers.

No Love

How does one go about getting the beta? Cheers.
EA sent an E-Mail a while ago asking for interested parties. Those who responded were provided with a Beta code via E-Mail yesterday/last night. Not sure how you could get your hands on one now, but that’s how I got mine.

Drifter

American
Would love them to bring out a good boxing game for the PC.

Paxi

EA sent an E-Mail a while ago asking for interested parties. Those who responded were provided with a Beta code via E-Mail yesterday/last night. Not sure how you could get your hands on one now, but that’s how I got mine.
Fair enough. Not liking it then?

No Love

Fair enough. Not liking it then?
At the minute, no. As someone who has followed the sport for 13-14 years now, it’s a far cry from what I would like it to entail. I’ve seen you in the MMA thread, so I would guess you’re more than a casual fan and are more in tune with the myriad of nuances within MMA. This iteration does a spectacular job of eliminating nuance and turning the game into a spam-fest.

- The sheer amount of times you need to land on someone before knocking them out is.. bizarre. As you know, in real life, ‘It only takes one’ - In game, it may take dozens to see any impact.

- The character models are, in some cases, grotesque. Think cartoons crossed with UFC 3.

- They’ve gone a long way towards ‘dumbing down’ the minutiae. For example, Fighters are now assigned a star rating on the fighter selection screen. When selecting your fighter, think something comparable to Mortal Kombat for the SNES, with a star rating. Kamaru Usman - *****, for example. On that screen, they list Gilbert Burns as a boxer, despite him being an incredibly credentialed BJJ practitioner. Little things like that just break the immersion and give the impression the developers don’t follow/care about the sport. Burns is a much improved striker and he can hurt you, but to classify him as a boxer is odd, for me.

-The clinch could be interesting and an improvement on what we’ve seen in past iterations; however, from what I’ve seen it appears the only way to escape it is to run away from it. Looks like it’s going to be very, very open to abuse this year again.

-If you get taken down or score a takedown, that’s the fight over. Submissions are broken. Almost every submission attempt is successful. I dabbled a little online and whoever initiated a submission first would win. I would tap my opponent, then the next guy would tap me. No real skill involved, just initiate the submission attempt and swirl the left analog stick and your opponent can’t do a single thing about it. Also, perhaps in a bid to appeal to casuals/kids, the grappling is dumbed down to offer three options: stand up, submission or ground and pound. Those are the three options you have for default settings. If you don’t want that, you can go back to ‘Legacy’ controls, which is essentially the same grappling interface from UFC 3, which really makes you wonder if there’s any point in buying this title, when things have not changed.

-Stamina is another issue. Fighters are indefatigable, unless you really go out of your way to throw combinations out of range. It seems that as long as you connect, you cannot gas on the feet. There are no repercussions for failing takedown attempts. Just pick Colby Covington and spam the takedowns. A guy stopped me several times when I tried to take him down; however, my stamina bar was unwavering. As ties back in with my previous point, when I finally did get the takedown, I initiated the submission and won in scumbag fashion. I’m only playing around with it - Imagine what tryhards are going to be able to do when the work out the mechanics fully and get online. It will be brutal.

-The added ‘taunt’ prior to each fight is childish, unnecessary and doesn’t actually happen in real life. Again, this will appeal to 13/14 year olds who think Conor McGregor would knock Francis N’Gannou outcold and can’t understand why Jorge Masvidal can’t be selected to fight Jon Jones. Imagine Buffer has done the announcements, the referee has done over the rules, the fighters have touched gloves and when they’re in their respective corners, the referee says, ‘Ready?’ and the camera pans directly to them.. then the game offers you to chance to perform a taunt. Think of McGregor walking forward and blowing kisses prior to the Alvarez fight. Yes, he did it, but he did it during Buffer’s announcement, not immediately before the fight starts. Again, it’s gimmicky and feels like when you fight a new fighter in the story of Mortal Kombat/Tekken/Dead or Alive.

I’m sure there are more things that will come to my head and my ideas might even change if I play it some more, but, my days.. It feels like they’re getting further removed from what fans want and are catering for a wider, more casual audience.

Paxi

At the minute, no. As someone who has followed the sport for 13-14 years now, it’s a far cry from what I would like it to entail. I’ve seen you in the MMA thread, so I would guess you’re more than a casual fan and are more in tune with the myriad of nuances within MMA. This iteration does a spectacular job of eliminating nuance and turning the game into a spam-fest.

- The sheer amount of times you need to land on someone before knocking them out is.. bizarre. As you know, in real life, ‘It only takes one’ - In game, it may take dozens to see any impact.

- The character models are, in some cases, grotesque. Think cartoons crossed with UFC 3.

- They’ve gone a long way towards ‘dumbing down’ the minutiae. For example, Fighters are now assigned a star rating on the fighter selection screen. When selecting your fighter, think something comparable to Mortal Kombat for the SNES, with a star rating. Kamaru Usman - *****, for example. On that screen, they list Gilbert Burns as a boxer, despite him being an incredibly credentialed BJJ practitioner. Little things like that just break the immersion and give the impression the developers don’t follow/care about the sport. Burns is a much improved striker and he can hurt you, but to classify him as a boxer is odd, for me.

-The clinch could be interesting and an improvement on what we’ve seen in past iterations; however, from what I’ve seen it appears the only way to escape it is to run away from it. Looks like it’s going to be very, very open to abuse this year again.

-If you get taken down or score a takedown, that’s the fight over. Submissions are broken. Almost every submission attempt is successful. I dabbled a little online and whoever initiated a submission first would win. I would tap my opponent, then the next guy would tap me. No real skill involved, just initiate the submission attempt and swirl the left analog stick and your opponent can’t do a single thing about it. Also, perhaps in a bid to appeal to casuals/kids, the grappling is dumbed down to offer three options: stand up, submission or ground and pound. Those are the three options you have for default settings. If you don’t want that, you can go back to ‘Legacy’ controls, which is essentially the same grappling interface from UFC 3, which really makes you wonder if there’s any point in buying this title, when things have not changed.

-Stamina is another issue. Fighters are indefatigable, unless you really go out of your way to throw combinations out of range. It seems that as long as you connect, you cannot gas on the feet. There are no repercussions for failing takedown attempts. Just pick Colby Covington and spam the takedowns. A guy stopped me several times when I tried to take him down; however, my stamina bar was unwavering. As ties back in with my previous point, when I finally did get the takedown, I initiated the submission and won in scumbag fashion. I’m only playing around with it - Imagine what tryhards are going to be able to do when the work out the mechanics fully and get online. It will be brutal.

-The added ‘taunt’ prior to each fight is childish, unnecessary and doesn’t actually happen in real life. Again, this will appeal to 13/14 year olds who think Conor McGregor would knock Francis N’Gannou outcold and can’t understand why Jorge Masvidal can’t be selected to fight Jon Jones. Imagine Buffer has done the announcements, the referee has done over the rules, the fighters have touched gloves and when they’re in their respective corners, the referee says, ‘Ready?’ and the camera pans directly to them.. then the game offers you to chance to perform a taunt. Think of McGregor walking forward and blowing kisses prior to the Alvarez fight. Yes, he did it, but he did it during Buffer’s announcement, not immediately before the fight starts. Again, it’s gimmicky and feels like when you fight a new fighter in the story of Mortal Kombat/Tekken/Dead or Alive.

I’m sure there are more things that will come to my head and my ideas might even change if I play it some more, but, my days.. It feels like they’re getting further removed from what fans want and are catering for a wider, more casual audience.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah I sounds like typical EA to be fair. I got the last one and I thought it was just okay. I definitely won’t be getting this one judging by your early review of the game play. I really doubt EA will be fixing much of a core game play in a post beta release.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We need a new Fight Night. Feck this UFC wank.
There's a new boxing game coming that Hearn is linked to. Developed by Steel City Interactive called something like esports Boxing Club. Graphics look decent but I don't know if it will be as good as Fight Night is they don't have any licences.

I thought this would be the year they bring back Fight Night as the popularity in boxing had spiked recently with the likes of AJ drawing in casuals. Couldn't give a toss about another UFC game.

G-manc

There's a new boxing game coming that Hearn is linked to. Developed by Steel City Interactive called something like esports Boxing Club. Graphics look decent but I don't know if it will be as good as Fight Night is they don't have any licences.
I know a couple of people involved in this. I think the WBC and The Ring are on board and they've tied down down some licensed fighters to appear.

https://www.steelcityinteractive.co.uk

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I know a couple of people involved in this. I think the WBC and The Ring are on board and they've tied down down some licensed fighters to appear.

https://www.steelcityinteractive.co.uk
Hopefully it's a class game but I'm just worried not having the big names might take some of the shine off it. If it works out well then they might carry the torch a bit with boxing games and, in the future, bring more names. EA don't give a damn about the boxing fans.