Easily one of the most ridiculously one sided matches ever!

matbezlima

Milan's second leg against Mechelen in the 1989-1990 European Cup quarter-finals must be one of the most dominant performances ever. Mechelen wasn't really a bad team, Milan was even lucky to draw the first leg 0-0, but the second leg was ridiculous. Say any score, Milan could have won by that. It's mind-blowing that the game finished 0-0 in normal time, Milan should have won 10-0 at least by then, this is no exaggeration. Only wo things held Milan back: Preud'Homme amazing at the goal and Milan's terrible finishing. The two videos above are highlights of the match, please watch. How did Mechelen not only avoid being defeated 10-0, but also finish normal time 0-0? Insane!

Also, what an amazing player Donadoni was, a fast and very skilled dribbling winger! Underrated nowadays for sure. And his red card in this match was lamentable. I can't say that Donadoni didn't deserve it because he clearly punched his adversary on the face, but he only did that after being fouled and slapped on the face by the Mechelen player (see 2:42 of the second video that I posted), but the referee didn't see it and only Donadoni got sent off. Extremely unfair.

matbezlima

What was that offside decision at 3:50 in the first video though?? :houllier: Unless I'm missing something

Mechelen were robbed :D
I still have to check it with more attention, but don't forget that the offside rule was different back then. Anyway, if you watch the two their videos in their entirety, Milan's dominance was so ridiculous that they Sacchi's Milan should have won at least 10-0 if they had taken even 1/3 of their chances. Ridiculous. Mechelen also was not a bad team in the late 80s, far from it. They won the 1987–88 European Cup Winners' Cup and the 1988 UEFA Supercup, for example.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What was that offside decision at 3:50 in the first video though?? :houllier: Unless I'm missing something

The goal scorer was roughly five yards onside when the winger played the through ball. All the AR could do after he raised his flag was to try to emphatically commit to his call. He had to have known he blew it. I’ve been there before.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Given against the circled guy innit? Very different interpretation of offside in those days. If you were in an offside position you were offside for the most part. Gaining an advantage, being active, phases of play or interfering with an opponent weren't really a thing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was expecting to read about the 2005 cup final when I clicked on this. :lol:

matbezlima

Was expecting to read about the 2005 cup final when I clicked on this. :lol:
If it wasn't for Liverpool's epic comeback, it would probably be remembered as one of the best and most dominant performances in a UCL final ever because Liverpool created very little outside of those 16 minutes time-span in which Liverpool scored all their goals. I think that Milan hammered Liverpool before and after that 16 minutes time-span, I need to watch the full game.