g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ed Woodward has resigned from Manchester United | 2024: Returns to football

Skills

Snitch
I think the purses are about to be finally tightened by the Glazers now. Time for a more fiscally responsible CEO after 7 years of huge spending with nothing to show for.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He is actually going to leave a big hole which could still be filled with someone even worse or with much less transfer cash to give but Ed was a disaster overall. I could see good things starting to happen behind the scenes but it’s too little too late. It’s all back on the Glazers again and It was them calling the shots all along. Ed is just the face of their failures and their hostile takeover.

We are facing some more very uncertain times. I hope the fans can press on and get the glazers out and take a stake of the club with the next owners. Try and find custodian owners who would encourage that model. We have so many fans that we could make a lot more money for players and infrastructure especially if the fans trusted that’s where the majority of their money was going. We surely have some very influential fans out there who could get the ball rolling if the glazers are ever genuine about selling.

Chairman Steve

SURE he was going to leave at the end of the year anyway :rolleyes: I also question whether he’ll actually be active in the role or whether he’ll be on some form of quiet gardening leave for contract reasons or handover reasons.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
feck off Gary you're toasting keeping your multi-million dollar job at Sky. Nothing else.
I think he's sincere in hating the Super League idea purely for its effect on football and fans, but I agree the Sky connection is no doubt problematic for Gary's authenticity as a voice of the football public.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He is actually going to leave a big hole which could still be filled with someone even worse or with much less transfer cash to give but Ed was a disaster overall. I could see good things starting to happen behind the scenes but it’s too little too late. It’s all back on the Glazers again and It was them calling the shots all along. Ed is just the face of their failures and their hostile takeover.

We are facing some more very uncertain times. I hope the fans can press on and get the glazers out and take a stake of the club with the next owners. Try and find custodian owners who would encourage that model. We have so many fans that we could make a lot more money for players and infrastructure especially if the fans trusted that’s where the majority of their money was going. We surely have some very influential fans out there who could get the ball rolling if the glazers are ever genuine about selling.
At this point they should sell.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think he's sincere in hating the Super League idea purely for its effect on football and fans, but I agree the Sky connection is no doubt problematic for Gary's authenticity as a voice of the football public.
That's probably more fair than my perspective and I can grudgingly agree. But I still don't like him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Meh. Never liked him.

Right. Sky stood to lose the most of almost anyone. Every one of their employees was on point spewing vitriol to protect what's theirs. Media controls the narrative, etc.
As if Sky wouldn’t have tried to get involved in the broadcasting - he was risking his job if anything this week.

el3mel

Does Woodward consider investing 1 billion in the team during his period while winning some Micky Mouse cups and not once challenging for the league an achievement worth noting? Is he insane or that deluded ?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just posting to say what a day :drool::drool::drool:
I second this.
However whose appointed next is key...and also we are still under the Ultimate stewardship of the Glazers.
They have a history of making wrong big decisions, who replaces Woodward will ultimately be up to them...

Skills

Snitch
Really odd he’s staying another 8 months isn’t it?
He isn't in a low level managerial role. Generally speaking top level executives have a 6 month notice period across most industries.

432JuanMata

I second this.
However whose appointed next is key...and also we are still under the Ultimate stewardship of the Glazers.
They have a history of making wrong big decisions, who replaces Woodward will ultimately be up to them...
They had the history of making bad decisions ie leaving Woodward to make the decisions, get in a football man and reep the rewards. This is the biggest day in 7-8 years don’t f*ck it up

Chairman Steve

I look forward to what Lineker has to say about his drinking chum Ed. He basically condemns us for criticising him but he’s been unusually quiet the past few hours. How does he feel about Ed being part of this? Will they be going out for vino in some chinless wonder bar in the West End soon?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Why would he lose his job with Sky if the ESL goes ahead?
Well obviously that's just speculation and I don't get a ton of Sky over here but what I did see yesterday was a concerted effort by a media outlet to denigrate the notion, which suggests to me that they felt their football based revenue stream was under significant threat.

manunited1919

It’s odd they announced his departure but not his replacement.

VDS would be a dream replacement.

Spoony

The People's President
As for the owners, I think they underestimated how big these traditional institutions are. I gave them far too credit, I thought they'd get their way with CL demands after making the powerplay. But they were serious about the SL - thankfully they completely misread the nature of football in Europe.