Ed Woodward | Post season 2017 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovethisgameahahah

The real test for Woodward won't be signing players, he has probably been in contact with our targets for weeks and has stupidly excessively sums of money and contracts written up and at the ready.

The real test will be shipping out deadwood. We have up to 6 players, floating around our squad that are not good enough and take a lot of wages. That has always been the difficulty at Manchester United in regards to player turnover, with the exception of Moyes who no top player would ever want to play for.

RedCurry

He'll pull a Neymar, Bale type signing out of nowhere. Just watch this space.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I think Mourinho repeating in public, "it is all upto Woodward now" won't help Ed in negotiations. It is not like Ed kept going public about Mourinho's targets this season so no need for Mourinho to put pressure like this. Mourinho may not mean it in negative way but simply refusing to comment on transfer speculation will be good.

Hamadovich86

After the clusterfeck that was the 2014 summer transfer window, Ed has been consistently successful at getting the players that the manager wants. I say this because LVG and Mourinho never complained about who they got or lamented about who they missed out on.

This will be a really challenging window for Woody more clubs (especially British ones) have more money with no need to sell their top players. Add to that the fact that we are perceived to have infinite money so clubs hold out to get maximum cash. I shouldnt care about how much we spend for players (not my money) but I dont want us to get dooped.

Oscie

He took far too much crap for the Fellaini deal. Wasn't that Moyes using his inside "knowledge" to insist that he'd be able to get a better deal after the release clause expired? The same Moyes who then appeared to behave as if he'd never seen Fellaini play before and had no idea what to do with him.

dogwithabone

I may have the wrong end of the stick but the fact that Jose is so bullish makes me think we will meet all targets. I'll be surprised if any drawn out transfer chases that get into the public domain don't go our way. If they don't then given what he's said it's a sort of .....'You've f*cked up Ed' scenario.

LoveFootball

Woodward has done some awful deals in the last few years. Im referring to the prices paid rather than the players, which aren't his decision. He always pays 30-50% more than what other clubs would have paid.

I think he should stick to the commercial side of things which he has been brilliant at, and hire someone who deals with contracts and signings.
Ed have been brilliant for us and I think we're lucky to have a man like him in charge of our club! He's a very clever and intelligent man who adapt quickly in his new job! He came as a marketing man but have now made United a force to fear in the transfer market! We can almost get everyone we want and United have became one of the prefered destination for most star players despite the fact club like Manchester City, Chelsea and PSG have unlimited budget; and if we start winning major trophies, I am confident things will get better. Now I am confident we can easily beat Madrid and Barcelona for a player.

Yes he overpaid for some players but many clubs do it nowadays! In this inflated market, there's no designated price for a specific players and a player price depend on how much the seller club want and how much the buying player value him and are willing to pay! Was Gareth Bale a 80M player? No; was Ramos Rodriguez an 70M playeR? No; Was Gonzalo Huguain a 70M player? No; but the clubs who bought them valued them at that price and paid the money!
Beside that, the only player I can really consider we overpaid is Fellaini because it was a panic buy and he was not what we needed and have not the quality to be a United player. The other players we bought, I think he paid the correct prices to get them; for example;
(The number might not be correct because I didn't check, feel free to correct them)
- Mata 38M: previous season Chelsea best player and a star name in the PL and good playmaker. He's still here and have been one of our best players.
- Falcao : a failed experience but it was a loan and 14M was not that much as Falcao was one of the most feared striker in the world.
-Di Maria 59M: one of Madrid's best player and man of the match in the final of the CL.
-Daily Blind 14M : best Dutch league player that season.
-Herrera : we paid his released clause, no other way to get him.
-Shaw 30M : English younster and best left back the previous season! Right price if you consider that English players are very expensive.
-Memphis Depay: 26M was the right price after the season he had and considering the fact most big club were after him and PSG were preparing to offer big money to get him.
- Schneiderlin 27M: most of us were excited about this player and he was one of the best midfielder the previous season.
- Schweinsteiger : 6M was the correct price for a fading Bayern Munich legend.
- Martial : 36M good price if we consider the rumours that most big clubs were after him and Chelsea wanted to pay more to hijack the deal.
- Ibrahimovic : free.
- Pogba : one of the most tricked case; we overpaid but we also got, maybe, the best midfielder of his generation and one of the most marketable player in the world and Serie A best player.
- Mkitharyan : 27M was a still for the Bundesliga player of the season.
-Bailly : 30M was the correct price for one of the best defender in the Spanish league! He was also wanted by City, so we needed to act quickly.

So among all those names, can you tell me which one we overpaid and what is the correct price you'd have paid?

I think Ed is doing a good job and we must be proud to have him. According to some, he's the "Christiano Ronaldo" of commercial sphere. I am confident he'll deliver everything Jose want; even if it means we must overspaid, the most important thing is to get our targets and go into next season well prepared.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
If the perisic rumours are true will seem like a step backwards, massively over paying for an inconsistent journeyman suggests we are desperate or have missed out on other targets, 36m plus is a ridiculous fee.
Love posts like this.

It starts with an 'if' or ' if the rumours are true' then based on that little evidence, goes on an amazing rant.

remember me

Love posts like this.

It starts with an 'if' or ' if the rumours are true' then based on that little evidence, goes on an amazing rant.
Me too! The logic chain is crazy
It's if.. will seem.. suggests we.. is a ridiculous fee

People shouldn't believe everything they read in a paper or anything they see on the internet

We'll be linked with everyone with an agent trying to get a contract extension or more money when they join City or even Everton..

I have confidence Ed will do his job, our money & CL status will help for sure

Roboc7

Love posts like this.

It's not a rant just a comment on what is a strong rumour, it might not be true but the wouldn't be much to discuss all summer otherwise.

If Woodward hands over 30m for Perisic he is either desperate or incompetent, no other way to describe it.

AXVnee7

Clearly you have forgotten Moyesy's wall of transfer targets? Three players for every requirement? Many thought he was a genius for that level of organisation.
Well he is David Moyes - Football Genius for a reason y'know.

Red Devil Rising

Can we use this thread for all the spoilt, petulant children to post into please?

The reaction in here since Silva went to City and we've been linked with Perisic is absolutely ridiculous.

opopop

Just wait until the posts in here when we haven't signed anyone by June 10.

Calls for Eds firing by then.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He'll pull a Neymar, Bale type signing out of nowhere. Just watch this space.
Perisic is the surprise. Add some steady buys like Dier and Keane and everyone on the caf will go into meltdown...

Fahad Jawaid

Although it seems very doom and gloom with the prospect of city signing Silva, Fabinho, Mendy etc and us signing the likes of Keane, Dier and Perisic. One thing that makes me feel content and confident is, woody and our managers have generally acquired a profile of players fit for manutd stature. The likes of schweinsteiger, di maria, falcao, pogba, miki, zlatan etc.

Now all of a sudden it just seems odd that we are going to go for second tier players mentioned above. So i honestly think press have no clue about our targets and i wont believe them untill we have a player holding our shirt untill then i will remain positive and hopeful. so go woody make it another muppet summer :drool:.

Nori-

- Mata 38M: previous season Chelsea best player and a star name in the PL and good playmaker. He's still here and have been one of our best players.
- Falcao : a failed experience but it was a loan and 14M was not that much as Falcao was one of the most feared striker in the world.
-Di Maria 59M: one of Madrid's best player and man of the match in the final of the CL.
-Daily Blind 14M : best Dutch league player that season.
-Herrera : we paid his released clause, no other way to get him.
-Shaw 30M : English younster and best left back the previous season! Right price if you consider that English players are very expensive.
-Memphis Depay: 26M was the right price after the season he had and considering the fact most big club were after him and PSG were preparing to offer big money to get him.
- Schneiderlin 27M: most of us were excited about this player and he was one of the best midfielder the previous season.
- Schweinsteiger : 6M was the correct price for a fading Bayern Munich legend.
- Martial : 36M good price if we consider the rumours that most big clubs were after him and Chelsea wanted to pay more to hijack the deal.
- Ibrahimovic : free.
- Pogba : one of the most tricked case; we overpaid but we also got, maybe, the best midfielder of his generation and one of the most marketable player in the world and Serie A best player.
- Mkitharyan : 27M was a still for the Bundesliga player of the season.
-Bailly : 30M was the correct price for one of the best defender in the Spanish league! He was also wanted by City, so we needed to act quickly.

So among all those names, can you tell me which one we overpaid and what is the correct price you'd have paid?
Mata: Fell out with Mourinho at Chelsea and wasn't being Played. £38m for a Sub
Martial: The deal is only £36m if Martial turns out to be average. Its closer to £70m when you include bonuses and add-ons.
Ibrahimovic: Free but only joined for Mourinho. Nothing to do with Woodward
Pogba: As you said, massively overpaid.
Fellaini: We paid £4m more than his release clause, which was 2 weeks earlier......because Woodward failed with other signings.
Falcao: £16m a season to Loan a player that Monaco at the time just wanted to get off their books to reduce expenses.
Schweinsteiger: We only got him for £6m because Bayern did him a favour, he was a club legend. We still paid him £250k a week though.

Mkitharyan, Shaw, Herrera and Bailly are the only decent deals done in 4 years. Hardly something to give the guy major credit for.

Last edited:

Marzo

I don't understand the panic here. Jose has said he gave Ed his targets in March, none us knows who these targets are.
City got beaten by Manaco on 15th March ,and all of a sudden Manaco's players are world class? Pep seems to think so, as he has already signed Silva, with strong links to Mendy and Fabinho .
I am sure Jose's targets are of a better quality and might actually match his style fo play.Ed is working ,let him get on with it, and reserve judgement at the end of the transfer window.

Adebesi

Don't see how Mourinho has put pressure on Woodward saying it's down to him. He didn't give any names away of his targets so Woodward will still have plenty of leverage in his negotiations.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho putting pressure on Ed? Like Ed would give a feck.
Sure both are on the same page with regards to transfers.
It's just a way of Mourinho deflecting questions about transfers since he knows the press can't get hold of Ed.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I think Mourinho repeating in public, "it is all upto Woodward now" won't help Ed in negotiations. It is not like Ed kept going public about Mourinho's targets this season so no need for Mourinho to put pressure like this. Mourinho may not mean it in negative way but simply refusing to comment on transfer speculation will be good.
Because suddenly even including Ed now know it is his job to get the deals done. Before it was a big secret.

JustAFan

Don't see how Mourinho has put pressure on Woodward saying it's down to him. He didn't give any names away of his targets so Woodward will still have plenty of leverage in his negotiations.
It's silly to think this changes the negotiations at all. Jose just stated what we already knew....he gives Ed a list, Ed does the negotiating.

Oscie

Always strange how some seem to think a player's subsequent performance once signed is a reflection on Woodward. If Di Maria was up for it and stayed and became a world beater the deal would have been exactly the same than what happened where he went out after one season like a wet fart. It's not like he's the one identifying the players.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It's not a rant just a comment on what is a strong rumour, it might not be true but the wouldn't be much to discuss all summer otherwise.

If Woodward hands over 30m for Perisic he is either desperate or incompetent, no other way to describe it.
In your eyes maybe so but I'd prefer to trust our manager, he wants him for a reason and that's good enough for me. As for the price who the hell cares.

The Man Himself

Because suddenly even including Ed now know it is his job to get the deals done. Before it was a big secret.
I don't know what you are talking about as it isn't anyway related to my point.

JustAFan

I don't know what you are talking about as it isn't anyway related to my point.
Mourinho saying he has given his list to Ed and it's up to him now changes nothing. We all know that is how our transfers work. The people running other clubs know it is how we do it. Many other clubs have a similar set up.

There is no added pressure or any change the negotiations.

That we have a list of targets, well no shit, that also is how things work for all clubs.

So yes there is no added pressure on Ed. People are just looking for the worst possible spin

The Man Himself

Mourinho saying he has given his list to Ed and it's up to him now changes nothing. We all know that is how our transfers work. The people running other clubs know it is how we do it. Many other clubs have a similar set up.

There is no added pressure or any change the negotiations.
In today's social media it has affects though. Just look at caf transfer forum. Just because City sealed a deal very early, for a player which we may not have wanted at all, people are going into meltdown. The social media must be worse. Every day without deal happening now will see fans going more crazy. "What is Ed doing for 2 months" will soon be a theme question for such fans. That all can be avoided with simple response like "we have a list of targets on which work is ongoing and we hope to seal deals before we fly to US."

pseudo_canadian

Is this the thread in which idiot virgins pretend to know how a chief executive at Manchester United should do his job?
Yes.

These threads make me laugh with posters pretending that they know better than Ed Woodward.

It's simply absurd.

JustAFan

In today's social media it has affects though. Just look at caf transfer forum. Just because City sealed a deal very early, for a player which we may not have wanted at all, people are going into meltdown. The social media must be worse. Every day without deal happening now will see fans going more crazy. "What is Ed doing for 2 months" will soon be a theme question for such fans. That all can be avoided with simple response like "we have a list of targets on which work is ongoing and we hope to seal deals before we fly to US."
thats been there for years now though and Jose' comments will have no affect on Ed getting his job done.

I've been on United forums since the mid-2000's and for at least the last decade it's been like this every summer. A club or two sign players early and the social media whiners lose their shit.

Ed is under zero additional pressure because of Jose's quotes.

The Man Himself

thats been there for years now though and Jose' comments will have no affect on Ed getting his job done.

I've been on United forums since the mid-2000's and for at least the last decade it's been like this every summer. A club or two sign players early and the social media whiners lose their shit.

Ed is under zero additional pressure because of Jose's quotes.
Social media in mid-2000's and now is not same and club do pay attention to reaction on social media although of course they won't change their objectives as per that. It may force them to act quicker and in transfer negotiations it can be a negative.
Whether Ed is under additional pressure or not because of quotes is not a point, it is simply that there is no reason to give details to media who can twist it anyway they like. Also 'Ed is under zero additional pressure' is not something you get to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.