Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

James Peril

Hazard was truly fantastic and would play for any team in the world, when he was on top for Chelsea. It’s not about big fish, small pond etc - injuries are messing him up. Big shame for him, Real Madrid and the fans - I hope he has a Robben-esque development when he manages to stay fit and motivated again. We laugh at footballers when they aren’t what they used to be, but I can only imagine the agony of working with a body that’s against you when things start to look a bit better. Does he feel good knowing he’s not even close to living up to his price-tag? Absolutely not.

As for Hazard vs. Bale... it’s quite easy to understand why people aren’t out with their torches just yet. Bale openly sabotaged things (with good reason I might add), and it doesn’t really help that you prounce around with a ponytail and play golf all the time. Hazard is quite shy and down to earth (can’t even remember his voice), Bale is much more in your face if you need a reason to dislike him. Not that I do, he too was a one of a kind-footballer with a skillset I haven’t seen before. A bit like Ronaldinho, not similar players, but different, unique styles that made a big impact these last 15 years.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was playing with a hip injury for half the season.
Also worth noting that once he was fully fit in the last two months of the year he was right back to absolutely bossing the league - that's the year he scored the famous goal vs. Tottenham to win Leicester the league.

I don’t take much note of Chelsea or Hazard (I’m not trying to be funny, I’m just being honest, and it’s not a dig), but I’m sure I remember him having two periods when he was crap. What was the season they finished mid table where Jose got sacked. Wasn’t he outed as not bothering to play (well)?

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Outside of 15/16 when he was injured, this is just categorically false. He was so much better than any other player for us that the attention he drew allowed mediocre teammates to perform (e.g. Willian).

In many ways his time at Chelsea can be viewed as somewhat unfortunate - he had the benefit of playing alongside a grand total of one top class attacker during his 7 years, and even then that top class attacker was an absolutely insane head case who derailed one season and came very close to derailing a second. The utter dearth of attacking talent alongside him meant Hazard could be double or triple marked with regularity. If we'd kept Salah, Lukaku, and KdB along with Hazard his numbers would have been far far better.
Hazard in his best season went three or more PL games in a row without a goal three times I think.

Does he make the top ten players of the last ten years, I don't think so.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He definitely does. Your obsession with stats is obscuring your view. Especially when you’re trying to put players like Son, Mahrez, and Costa ahead of him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t take much note of Chelsea or Hazard (I’m not trying to be funny, I’m just being honest, and it’s not a dig), but I’m sure I remember him having two periods when he was crap. What was the season they finished mid table where Jose got sacked. Wasn’t he outed as not bothering to play (well)?
No, it was a go to reach/excuse by people trying to absolve Mourinho of any blame.

He played with an injury all that period, Guus Hiddink confirmed it aswell.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard in his best season went three or more PL games in a row without a goal three times I think.

So an attacking midfielder who is far and away the biggest creative threat in a side prioritising defensive structure to the point where opponents could and would routinely mark him with 3-4 players has to score to perform? This is the criteria you're using to evaluate him?

Putting aside mathematical impossibilities, you're telling me there are 10 players in the last decade who have been the best player in the league more than twice? It's indisputable that he was the best player in 14/15 and 16/17; I'd argue he was in with a shout in 18/19 as well.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It was only 15/16. Mourinho pushed him to play because his job was on the line and as such Hazard never received proper treatment for his hip issue.

He also picked up a very unfortunate injury in 13/14 when we made our run to the CL semis - he played poorly in the tie against Atletico Madrid & failed to properly track back on the goal that effectively sealed the tie for them but he wasn't 100% fit. Mourinho threw him under the bus a bit then but given the quality of that peak Atleti side that always seemed a bit harsh.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
As much as I love him, this place went as far as saying he and Bale were as good or could do better than Cristiano. Both have failed dismally to even lace Ronaldo's boots. Shows you how much "dribbling" is overrated in Football really.

UncleBob

"Just do what Zidane did and you'll be alright"

It's not way off, if his overall performances are like they were at Chelsea, the Real Madrid fans will crucify him. The expectations are that they've signed someone that will be consistently influential, scoring and setting up others on a frequent basis.

Everyone knows he has the ability to do it, main concern is if he's mentally strong enough to cope with the demands.
I still reckon i'm right.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

So an attacking midfielder who is far and away the biggest creative threat in a side prioritising defensive structure to the point where opponents could and would routinely mark him with 3-4 players has to score to perform? This is the criteria you're using to evaluate him?

Putting aside mathematical impossibilities, you're telling me there are 10 players in the last decade who have been the best player in the league more than twice? It's indisputable that he was the best player in 14/15 and 16/17; I'd argue he was in with a shout in 18/19 as well.
Yeah, all good players are marked by multiple men. Perhaps if he spent less time trying to dribble those people and worked on his movement (see Ronaldo), he might be able to influence more games.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

What's your top 10?
2011 - 2021

Aguero
KDB
Van Dijk
Robin van Persie
Suarez
Kante
Kane
Salah
Fernandhino
Silva
DDG
Vardy

Off the top of my head, I'd say that set of players can duke it out for top ten. Hazard could get in there but he isn't a shoe-in.

GMoore23

Of course he does. Stats aside I've rarely seen a player so feared by opponents as Hazard was, including us. At his best he was virtually unstoppable on the ball without fouling him. The best dribbler the premier league has ever seen. When playing Chelsea during Hazards prime we and most other teams had to adopt totally different tactics just for the sole purpose of trying to stop him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, all good players are marked by multiple men. Perhaps if he spent less time trying to dribble those people and worked on his movement (see Ronaldo), he might be able to influence more games.
Ronaldo has never played in a team where he was the sole attacking outlet; every season since he's moved from Sporting Lisbon he's played alongside other world class players in attack. It's ridiculous to suggest Hazard should work on his movement as a finisher because he was also the only creator in the team.

Also why on earth should he dribble less? He's the best dribbler the PL has ever seen.

Silas

2011 - 2021

Aguero
KDB
Van Dijk
Robin van Persie
Suarez
Kante
Kane
Salah
Fernandhino
Silva
DDG
Vardy

Off the top of my head, I'd say that set of players can duke it out for top ten. Hazard could get in there but he isn't a shoe-in.
Fernandinho? Pre-Pep (so most of the decade) he was nowhere near the conversation. I'd say Hazard was at least on the level of Kante, Vardy and Kane.

Silas

He was excellent in 13/14.
Not saying he wasn't a very good player, but I don't think people ever thought "one of the best I've seen in a while" whenever they watched him. Maybe he has a stake based on longevity, but I'm not sure he trumps Hazard through that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was only 15/16. Mourinho pushed him to play because his job was on the line and as such Hazard never received proper treatment for his hip issue.

He also picked up a very unfortunate injury in 13/14 when we made our run to the CL semis - he played poorly in the tie against Atletico Madrid & failed to properly track back on the goal that effectively sealed the tie for them but he wasn't 100% fit. Mourinho threw him under the bus a bit then but given the quality of that peak Atleti side that always seemed a bit harsh.
Sounds like how when he was with us Mourinho pretty much forced Smalling to play against you guys despite having a broken toe. Smalling went on to have by far his worst performance of his career, to the extent that years later people still bring up that match when they are trying to criticise him. Mourinho does seem to go overboard with expecting players to play through injury.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Of course he does. Stats aside I've rarely seen a player so feared by opponents as Hazard was, including us. At his best he was virtually unstoppable on the ball without fouling him. The best dribbler the premier league has ever seen. When playing Chelsea during Hazards prime we and most other teams had to adopt totally different tactics just for the sole purpose of trying to stop him.
Fair enough, just don't see it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Ronaldo has never played in a team where he was the sole attacking outlet; every season since he's moved from Sporting Lisbon he's played alongside other world class players in attack. It's ridiculous to suggest Hazard should work on his movement as a finisher because he was also the only creator in the team.

Also why on earth should he dribble less? He's the best dribbler the PL has ever seen.
So he could win more games for his team. Rather than impress fans on a forum.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Your criticism makes zero sense. Hazard's ability to beat players was fundamental in our team's success. Keeping him high up the pitch so he could work on his movement would have made us a far poorer side.

Yeah, the foundation for a team to be able to play six forwards in a team that rarely conceded, set records for points and retained the PL for the first time in a decade.

Yeah, ludicrous.
Yes, it is ludicrous to put him above Hazard, who more or less single-handedly dragged Chelsea to two PL titles and two ELs. Fernandinho is a wonderful player but he's never been one of the 3 most important players in his own side let alone one of the 10 best in the PL over the last decade.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like how when he was with us Mourinho pretty much forced Smalling to play against you guys despite having a broken toe. Smalling went on to have by far his worst performance of his career, to the extent that years later people still bring up that match when they are trying to criticise him. Mourinho does seem to go overboard with expecting players to play through injury.
Yeah especially coming off of the 14/15 season where Hazard was totally overworked. And this was also compounded by Jose's shameful & sexist actions towards our medical staff, which almost certainly didn't help our players get proper treatment.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Your criticism makes zero sense. Hazard's ability to beat players was fundamental in our team's success. Keeping him high up the pitch so he could work on his movement would have made us a far poorer side.

Yes, it is ludicrous to put him above Hazard, who more or less single-handedly dragged Chelsea to two PL titles and two ELs. Fernandinho is a wonderful player but he's never been one of the 3 most important players in his own side let alone one of the 10 best in the PL over the last decade.
This is ludicrous.

Also Hazard singlehandedly dragged them to two PL titles? Jesus.

Stacks

Hazard was truly fantastic and would play for any team in the world, when he was on top for Chelsea. It’s not about big fish, small pond etc - injuries are messing him up. Big shame for him, Real Madrid and the fans - I hope he has a Robben-esque development when he manages to stay fit and motivated again. We laugh at footballers when they aren’t what they used to be, but I can only imagine the agony of working with a body that’s against you when things start to look a bit better. Does he feel good knowing he’s not even close to living up to his price-tag? Absolutely not.

As for Hazard vs. Bale... it’s quite easy to understand why people aren’t out with their torches just yet. Bale openly sabotaged things (with good reason I might add), and it doesn’t really help that you prounce around with a ponytail and play golf all the time. Hazard is quite shy and down to earth (can’t even remember his voice), Bale is much more in your face if you need a reason to dislike him. Not that I do, he too was a one of a kind-footballer with a skillset I haven’t seen before. A bit like Ronaldinho, not similar players, but different, unique styles that made a big impact these last 15 years.
Not Barcelona. Doesn't score enough goals

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He left 18 months ago, he's no threat to you anymore, there's no need to keep up this denial.
This is ludicrous.

In 2015 post January our form collapsed and it was universally agreed by almost everyone watching us that we only got over the line thanks to Hazard and Courtois, i can't think of a single point earned in the last few months that wasn't thanks to a big moment by one of them, usually both.

It didn't happen to the same extent in 2017 but there was again a drop off by our other attacking player's in the second half of the season while Hazard kept his level and carried on deliveing when we really needed it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

He left 18 months ago, he's no threat to you anymore, there's no need to keep up this denial.

In 2015 post January our form collapsed and it was universally agreed by almost everyone watching us that we only got over the line thanks to Hazard and Courtois, i can't think of a single point earned in the last few months that wasn't thanks to a big moment by one of them, usually both.

It didn't happen to the same extent in 2017 but there was again a drop off by our other attacking player's in the second half of the season while Hazard kept his level and carried on deliveing when we really needed it.
Denial? It's called opinion mate. Never really rated him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This is ludicrous.

No it isn't. Aguero, KdB, and David Silva have all consistently been far more important to City than Fernandinho. Kompany is in with a shout as well.

Also yes, Hazard contributed far more to our PL wins than just about any player did for a title-winning side. It's really not an exaggeration to say he dragged us to those titles - in 14/15 Costa was injured and Mourinho was playing very conservative football after we lost 5-3 to Spurs, and in 16/17 Costa was moping after his lucrative China deal fell through and he was out of form for the latter half of the year. On both occasions, Hazard was the player who drove us on and got results. It's not an exaggeration to say that Hazard was the difference between us picking up 3 versus 1 point week in and week out.

The day

Supports
Chelsea

Staying out of injury is also part of it,for me hazard is a flop and can never replace bale

The day

Supports
Chelsea
He definitely does. Your obsession with stats is obscuring your view. Especially when you’re trying to put players like Son, Mahrez, and Costa ahead of him.
Am a Chelsea fan but I would rather have son

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, the foundation for a team to be able to play six forwards in a team that rarely conceded, set records for points and retained the PL for the first time in a decade.

Yeah, ludicrous.
With that logic you just aswell put Zinchenko and Walker ahead of Hazard too.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's surprising for me that Chelsea haven't attempted to bring him back.
He's too old. Over the past few years our transfer policy has focused almost exclusively on players either about to enter their prime or those who are clearly pre-prime. Thiago Silva is an obvious exception but as there was no fee that was considered acceptable in terms of risk given his pedigree.

Redfrog

I saw a documentary about Hazard. He is a really talented player but never had extra motivation to be better. From all the testamonies from coaches and all, he was a player who hated training. He loves to be on the pitch but is very lazy in training.
He never was bothered about numbers as well, so never had that extra motivation to score goals.
He always had all the talent in the world but never the mentality.

His amazing talent helped him to have a very good career but the mentality stoped him to be among the bests, which is kind of increadible to say as he was often considered as the best in the league. But as Chelsea je was very inconsistent during his time in the league.

As much as his injuries let him down at Madrid, you can argue he doesn't have the mentality to play in this kind of club where even one of the best player in the world can be booed and the standards are very high.
And injuries can also be a result of how you take care of yourself and he doesn't look like CR7 or Giggs in this departement.

All in all, he is among the most gifted footballers around but never really realised his potential I think, and he won't do it now for sure.

Reactions: van der star