Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

The Purley King

Has 3 years left on a £400k pw contract = £62.4m he will be owed from that contract. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay anything at all for him.
Best chance Real have is to loan him and hope someone can be conned into paying half his wages.

Hackman2210

dont lump Bale in with Hazard. It’s like saying Rooney and Sanchez were both poor signings because they lost their legs at the end. You are ignoring how good Bale was for 4-5 years.
True - no denying how good Bale was but the point I was making was lack of return cash wise on these huge transfer fees. Once you add Coutinho, Dembele and Greizman from Barca - no wonder spanish football is bust!! The days of £100mil for 27/28 year olds should be over but football doesnt follow the conventional rules of the universe so expect Man City to spunk £100mil+ on Kane shortly. But they and PSG can do whatever they want FFP my arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Let’s not forget about Sanchez’s £800k a week wages. That put him as the highest earner in the world. I’m not sure who signed off on his £1.2m per week wages but £1.5m a week is £1.9m a week more than the next highest earner which is just madness.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Would take him on loan. It would continue the proud tradition of James, Coutinho, Perisic, and surely it couldn't be a worse spell than Douglas Costa's return was. He's got quality, after all.

SAFMUTD

Has to be way above Sanchez considering the price?
Yes, they're on similar wages but Alexis was swapped for Mkhitaryan not bought for 115M.

No resell value at all, so he's the biggest flop in the history of the game.

Luke1995

Inter seems to like taking declining players around Hazard's age range. Can't say it hasn't worked well for them as they just won the title.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
They invested enough but invested in the wrong players

19/20 - 355M spent
18/19 - 162.5M spent
17/18 - 40.5M spent
16/17 - 30M spent

Total - 588M

They won the Champions in both the 16/17 and 17/18 seasons.

Almost 600M in around 5 years is more than enough if you get the right replacements.

They don't have proper replacements for Benzema, Kroos, Modric and Ramos and failed to replace Ronaldo.

Most of the players they bought were complete failures.
@Iker Quesadillas @carvajal I think @Gonçalo Motta's post says everything I'd say in reply to the post of mine you replied to.

Its unfortunate that Madrid has come to the end of its last cycle without any top level replacements for that core group that won the 11th, 12th and 13th. Modric, Kroos, Benzema, really these players should have been replaced ages ago.

Real Madrid was more ruthless about getting rid of Hierro and Raul. However, because Florentino thinks he is a better sporting director than Monchi, the quality has not been acquired.

Believe me, I am a Man Utd fan. I know what it looks like when the club's leading executive goes throwing money around after players that don't warrant it. We paid £50m for Fred! Madrid's problem has been Florentino drinking his own kool aid.

The best signing Madrid can make this summer is Luis Campos. He's out of work, Madrid wouldn't even need to pay compensation. With maybe 20/25 per cent of what's been spent since 2016-17, Campos could find young players to refresh Madrid's team. Players that compliment one another and make a cohesive whole.

Bobski

His last 18 months at Chelsea were still good but he was monopolising the ball to ridiculous levels, holding on to it more than was needed, much less direct and penetrative.

He was never going to be given that freedom at Madrid, and his game has never been about statistical production. Bale for example, give it a few years and this looks a strong season, can kid you with goals.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly, i'd rather get Bale on loan than Hazard much as it pains me to say.

Eden's laid back attitude to how he treats his body is now catching up on him, his injury problems are not down to bad luck.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Hazard is worse. He costed them 100m.
And that's just the transfer fee :lol:
Add in the signing on fee, salary + bonus clauses and he's probably cost them around 150mil€

Let’s not forget about Sanchez’s £800k a week wages. That put him as the highest earner in the world. I’m not sure who signed off on his £1.2m per week wages but £1.5m a week is £1.9m a week more than the next highest earner which is just madness.
That salary was inflated because of the signing on fee which got calculated into the weekly salary

TheReligion

Abusive
Not sure why any team will take a risk in Hazard. Real will have to structure a deal which massively reduces this risk as they had to concede with Bale.

Are they going to be willing to?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The post itself is explanatory enough. You completely failed to the point and decided to comment stuff I never said.

But btw, if you can't pass or shoot how being a great dribbler makes you a good and dangerous player ? :confused: I fail to see where dribbling 3 players but not having the ability to make a proper pass or shoot makes you dangerous. It would be a great show though, pointless but great.
Because professional footballers can all pass and shoot/finish to a degree, they just might not be consistently good at it. Someone who is a great dribbler and average at the other two would still be a good player and very dangerous

Cloud7

Considering the transfer fee paid, the quality of player that Hazard was known to be, and what Madrid have actually gotten out of him, surely this has to go down as one of the worst high profile transfers in the history of football?

Mindhunter

You had me for a while. Was about to type a terse reply.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea was his happy place. It's nothing more than me being overly sentimental about him but if there is a way for Chelsea to bring him home, I'd jump on it without hesitation.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea was his happy place. It's nothing more than me being overly sentimental about him but if there is a way for Chelsea to bring him home, I'd jump on it without hesitation.

Please do, the day he leaves i'll throw a party.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
@Iker Quesadillas @carvajal I think @Gonçalo Motta's post says everything I'd say in reply to the post of mine you replied to.

Its unfortunate that Madrid has come to the end of its last cycle without any top level replacements for that core group that won the 11th, 12th and 13th. Modric, Kroos, Benzema, really these players should have been replaced ages ago.

Real Madrid was more ruthless about getting rid of Hierro and Raul. However, because Florentino thinks he is a better sporting director than Monchi, the quality has not been acquired.
I'm not really a huge Perez fan, he's always made tons of mistakes. I just don't think the situation is as dire or self-inflicted.

Navas, Marcelo, and Ramos were part of that core group and they've been replaced by top level players. Valverde is looking promising (not as much this season because of injury, unfortunately) in the midfield. The main failure is up top, with Hazard and Jovic flopping and Bale's tenure ending earlier than expected. That's a bad combination, but a single successful top level performer up top will change things considerably.

I'm also skeptical of judging too quickly because a lot of these irreplaceable world-class players that won all these CL titles took their time to actually become world class.

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
They invested enough but invested in the wrong players

19/20 - 355M spent
18/19 - 162.5M spent
17/18 - 40.5M spent
16/17 - 30M spent

Total - 588M

They won the Champions in both the 16/17 and 17/18 seasons.

Almost 600M in around 5 years is more than enough if you get the right replacements.

They don't have proper replacements for Benzema, Kroos, Modric and Ramos and failed to replace Ronaldo.

Most of the players they bought were complete failures.
I think my summary would be, they did not invest enough and on top of that they invested in the wrong players.

If I take the same starting season, this is the ranking of net spending in the world:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trans...&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

Apparently Madrid are not among the first 25 clubs, let's have a look at the second page...

Oh, still no luck. Not among the first 50 clubs either. So let's have a look at the third one...

Here you are, Real Madrid are in position number 63 with a total net spend of €41.65m, just slightly behind stellar clubs like Pyramids FC, Getafe or Huddersfield FC. Overall the average net spend is €8.33m per season!!!!

So yes, I basically agree that guys like Jovic and Hazard were wrong signings, but it's way easier to get it right if you get closer to clubs having a net spend of more than 50, 60 times that amount per season.

When I said in other posts that Florentino had been saving like crazy this is what I was referring to.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think my summary would be, they did not invest enough and on top of that they invested in the wrong players.

If I take the same starting season, this is the ranking of net spending in the world:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trans...&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

Apparently Madrid are not among the first 25 clubs, let's have a look at the second page...

Oh, still no luck. Not among the first 50 clubs either. So let's have a look at the third one...

Here you are, Real Madrid are in position number 63 with a total net spend of €41.65m, just slightly behind stellar clubs like Pyramids FC, Getafe or Huddersfield FC. Overall the average net spend is €8.33m per season!!!!

So yes, I basically agree that guys like Jovic and Hazard were wrong signings, but it's way easier to get it right if you get closer to clubs having a net spend of more than 50, 60 times that amount per season.

When I said in other posts that Florentino had been saving like crazy this is what I was referring to.
Didn't everything go pear shaped when our Ronnie left you?

Gonçalo Motta

I don't even mind the Jovic gamble because there was reason to believe it could pay off but buying Hazard for 100M is just mind-boggling.

With the money they "wasted" in some of the players they bought, in a perfect world they had enough money to sign:

Ruben Dias - 68M (2020/2021)
Bruno Fernandes - 55M (2019/2020)
Kante - 32M (2016/2017)
Haaland - 150M (2021/2022)
Mbappé - 180M (2021/2022)

485M spent in total and they still would have an extra 103M to spend in a proper LB and RW/LW and most of their problems (if not all) would be fixed

It really isn't about how much money you spend or what your net spend is, it's more about how you spend the money you got.

(Both Haaland and Mbappé values are based on news reports so they might be off)

Last edited:

A-man

I curious, how many of these signings from another club, with long-term contracts for extreme money, have turned out being worth the money?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ruben Dias - 68M (2020/2021)
Bruno Fernandes - 55M (2019/2020)
Kante - 32M (2016/2017)
Haaland - 150M (2021/2022)
Mbappé - 180M (2021/2022)
I'm not really sure why Dias is listed. Real Madrid signed Eder Militao, who is slightly younger, cost less money than Dias (50m instead of 68m), and appears to be quite good.

I'm also not really sure why they needed to sign N'Golo Kante in 2016 for 32m. Casemiro, who is younger, and did not cost much, had just broken through in 2016.

Set aside Fernandes and what we are left with is: if Real Madrid had spent 300m euros on two superstars they would be better off.

No shit.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

No, no and no.
Ask Dortmund / Spurs fans whether that's a viable strategy.
They tried it with Götze /Bale - it does not work especially with an injury prone player. At the same time ge might block another player's path.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No, no and no.
Ask Dortmund / Spurs fans whether that's a viable strategy.
They tried it with Götze /Bale - it does not work especially with an injury prone player. At the same time ge might block another player's path.
If we actually did sign him, we most likely won't btw, but if we did, it would be a sentimental move and not one where he is expected to be the man again. It's definitely a heart over head thing for me so I fully understand your reservations.

El-Manos

He was hit and miss. Missed 2 good chances which he would have put away with ease 2-3 years ago at the World Cup.

Last edited:

OoopsMisclick

He was hit and miss. Missed 2 good chances he would have put that away with ease 2-3 years ago at the World Cup.
Sloppy passing as well.
Gave ball away couple of times.

Combine that with missing good chances and you know what time it is…
He also isn’t a leader, that’s KDB and Lukaku.

El-Manos

Sloppy passing as well.
Gave ball away couple of times.

Combine that with missing good chances and you know what time it is…
He also isn’t a leader, that’s KDB and Lukaku.
He was a leader at the world cup, he was Belgium's best player that time. Whether he can replicate that now however, is a different matter. If Belgium want to win it, they will need KDB - Hazard - Lukaku to be in top form.