Edmond Tapsoba

Santos J

Moving for a CB.

It is understood United admire Bayer Leverkusen defender Edmond Tapsoba. The 24-year-old is under contract at Leverkusen until 2024.

Jonny Evans, 35, is not viewed as a sufficient replacement to Maguire and his short-term contract expires before the end of August. Evans is unsure if he will stay at United and he is expected to receive offers from other clubs.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../man-utd-transfer-news-defender-27485272?kkk=

Spurs been linked all summer too.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was one of the players I really liked when Bundesliga was the first league back after covid. No idea how he’s progressed since.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I prefer Todibo, but both are upgrades over Slabhead.

SAF is the GOAT

Watch Leverkusan add 10m to his price tag when they'll hear the name "Manchester United". They already asked 50m from spurs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So, would he be third choice or fourth choice? Or is he left sided centre-back? That would make more sense for the squad.

avgp_1

Todibo is more ready. Tapsoba needs some work and looks better with 3 at the back

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He was one of the players I really liked when Bundesliga was the first league back after covid. No idea how he’s progressed since.
Not a lot in my opinion. He had a fantastic start to his Leverkusen career but since hasn't really looked amazing.

That being said, it is difficult to judge Bundesliga defenders given the attacking nature of the league.

Akanji and Matip looked nothing more than decent before moving to the EPL but both have far exceeded expectations and have become key parts of top teams.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
One of the most promising defenders I saw here in Portugal (for Guimaraes). Good technique, had goals in him.

Hope he reaches the heights we expect from him

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not a lot in my opinion. He had a fantastic start to his Leverkusen career but since hasn't really looked amazing.
That was my impression of him too, albeit mostly just based on stats. In 20/21 he looked statistically amazing in possession (pretty much in the 99th percentile across the board in both passing and carries) while also very solid defensively. I ended up watching a few Leverkusen matches just to see him and he was very impressive, so he became my ideal defensive signing at the time and looked the perfect signing for a manager who wanted to really dominate the ball and play out from the back. His defensive partner Tah also looked very good in the games I caught.

However in the last two seasons his stats have come back to the pack a bit (still very good but no longer insanely good), and in the one or two games I did watch last season I didn't think he was quite as good as he was a few years ago. Obviously that is based on a very small sample size though, and the change in stats could easily just be a change in tactics from the team.

I'd still be very happy to sign him, but I'm not sure he's my clear-cut first choice anymore.

Giggsyking

He has a higher potential than Todibo. He is also taller 194cm compared to 190cm Todibo. Fast for a tall defender, and he scores galls with his head. The problem is Alonso will make us suffer before we sign him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes. He started absolutely amazing, then went through a longer period of making many mistakes and not overall being not as good anymore, and now is back to his best under Alonso.

I doubt we're willing to sell him at this point, though. Apparently Crystal Palace wants to loan Kossounou for an obligation to buy for €28m in 2024 and that deal is infinitely more attractive to us than letting Tapsoba go for €50-60m. Rolfes has already said that we aren't willing to sell him and that somebody would have to offer a sum we can't refuse for that to happen. He hasn't given a sum but I guess it would be in the €80m range.