Edwin Van Der Sar

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Jeeze glad you’re ok now fella, that’s a tough few years
That's an amazing recovery and a great perspective from a troubling experience. It's amazing the provision of strength that can be found through and despite of adversity.
Inspiring journey. Glad things are much better now.
Wow man, much respect to you. Thanks for sharing that mate.

I’m really glad you managed to turn it around and things turned out ok for you. I really hope Edwin is ok too.
Nothing to compare to your story, but I had several setbacks during my life with heavy car accident included and, if anything, it makes you more rational, patient and wiser for the future.

Thank you for sharing this, I truly believe you are great inspiration for those around you and wish you the best.

PS. Get well soon, Edwin.
We can all make changes.

To add some context when I was at rock bottom I tried to end my life with booze and pills.
Me - a young smiling guy with tons of positivity and ideas was a shadow of my former myself.
After a clumsy attempt to blow out the candle the police come and drove me to the hospital.
Only a very few friends was left when the success was past me.
My family lived far away. No job. No business card. Only two three hours of energy/day to use.

Who wanted to hire a former entrepreneur and business man who could only work two hours/day? Hint - none!

So what could I and others in similar situations offer the world?

My first step was to use my few hours of energy helping others.
I contacted handicapped people and offered me to take them out for a walk. I helped less fortune people with economical advises and finacial wisdome. I phoned a few CEO's I knew and offered my time for free just listening to their problems. (it's lonely at the top...)

Helping others was the key. When you start to give strange things happens.
One thing led to another and suddenly my little wisdom and expertise was valuable.

The other smart move was to downsize my life.
Spend less - save more. Use less resouces. Become more effective. Use my money wiser and invest my savings long term.
Stop pretending being someone - accept ourself with all the good and the bads. Give the person you love quality time and be caring - honesty makes us stronger.
Get rid of people who take energy away from you. If possible surround yourself with wisdom and good people.

The bottom line I have learned is that happiness comes from the inside. Honesty against yourself and others save energy. Help others if you can - good things happen sooner or later when you're nice to others.

It's never too late...

bringbackbebe

We can all make changes.

To add some context when I was at rock bottom I tried to end my life with booze and pills.
Me - a young smiling guy with tons of positivity and ideas was a shadow of my former myself.
After a clumsy attempt to blow out the candle the police come and drove me to the hospital.
My family lived far away. No job. No business card. Only two three hours of energy/day to use.

Who wanted to hire a former entrepreneur and business man who could only work two hours/day? Hint - none!

I contacted handicapped people and offered me to take them out for a walk. I helped less fortune people with economical advises and finacial wisdome. I phoned a few CEO's I knew and offered my time for free just listening to their problems. (it's lonely at the top...)

One thing led to another and suddenly my little wisdom and expertise was valuable.

Spend less - save more. Use less resouces. Become more effective. Use my money wiser and invest my savings long term.
Stop pretending being someone - accept ourself with all the good and the bads. Give the person you love quality time and be caring - honesty makes us stronger.
Get rid of people who take energy away from you. If possible surround yourself with wisdom and good people.

The bottom line I have learned is that happiness comes from the inside. Honesty against yourself and others save energy. Help others if you can - good things happen sooner or later when you're nice to others.

It's never too late...
You are an absolute inspiration and thank you for sharing this.

A lesson to those who have a comfortable life, talk to your parents often, spend time with your young kids, be nice to your spouse. None of what anyone has is permanent.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Speedy recovery, big man. Come join our board when you're better!

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We can all make changes.

It's never too late...
Great post, inspiring.

zenith

Get well soon Vds. What a legend and gem of a guy he is. Hope he gets back to being himself real soon

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Latest update. Still concerning.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
We can all make changes.

It's never too late...
Thank you for sharing this. Genuinely means a lot.

Lux Thunder

Recent update from CHC Split, via Jutarnji (translated):
Former Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar underwent a follow-up CT scan on Saturday, which showed that the bleeding between some meninges (subarachnoid hemorrhage) has not worsened.

- The patient is stable, but remains under the observation of Split neurology - said the doctors.

Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and some additional examinations of the blood vessels are scheduled for Monday, which will be able to reveal the reason for the bleeding that caused Van der Sar to have severe headaches, which is why he sought medical help.

Oscar Bonavena

Wishing Ed a speedy recovery. One of United's greatest ever keepers. A stroke of genius by Fergie to bring him to the club when he did.

RuudTom83

Horrible thread this one...every time its bumped you dread the worst.

Apologies for doing the same.

The Red Thinker

We can all make changes.

It's never too late...
Thank you for sharing this. As someone who recovered from spiralling depression myself, it is inspirational to hear this story.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Rob Jansen (Long-time agent of Edwin van der Sar):

"He's in good hands. His wife is there with her son. His condition is stable, but still worrisome. He needs to rest very well. We're confident that things will be alright, but it's no small thing."

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sounds positive, was worried as we hadn’t heard any more since

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Great to hear that he's out of immediate danger. Always was strong

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Any doctors here? What are his chances of a full recovery?

KristianKrystal

Any doctors here? What are his chances of a full recovery?
I’m not a neurologist, but as I understand he has suffered a bleed in the subarachnoidal space, which is pretty severe with high fatality.
The risk of fatality is mainly with the main bleed (should be over by now) and with rebleeds. It’s sounds like he’s stable and able to communicate which is positive developments, and I’m sure they’re now monitored and trying to prevent rebleeds.

Theres risk of lasting damage and probably need for rehabilitation but 1/2-2/3 is back at work one year after the bleed.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I’m not a neurologist, but as I understand he has suffered a bleed in the subarachnoidal space, which is pretty severe with high fatality.
The risk of fatality is mainly with the main bleed (should be over by now) and with rebleeds. It’s sounds like he’s stable and able to communicate which is positive developments, and I’m sure they’re now monitored and trying to prevent rebleeds.

Theres risk of lasting damage and probably need for rehabilitation but 1/2-2/3 is back at work one year after the bleed.
Thanks.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Best wishes Eddie! Legend of a keeper, but also I believe, legend of a man.