Television Elementary - TV Show

prath92

An interesting take. An americanized modern adaptation with Johny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu as Joan Watson.

Different from the BBC show in that this is similar to procedural dramas like Castle but with Sherlock Holmes acting as consultants to NYPD. At the same time, incorporating plots of the books like his drug use, his mind palace and stuff. Characters in the book like Gregson, Lestrade, Irene Adler, Moriarty, Mycroft, Sebastian Moran etc. are also incorporated in various episodes.

Some of the episodes are quite creative to be honest.

Any other viewers here?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's on my list. I'm a fan of the UK's Sherlock TV show, and they do a good job of blending the actual Doyle canon with modern reality. I hear that Elementary stretches the story a bit further. It'll have a shorter leash with me.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I watch it to pass the time. Decent enough, but nowhere near as good as the BBC version.

prath92

yes the thing though is that JL Miller has done a decent job in his portrayal of a awkward introverted guy. And watson being a woman is also a different touch. BBC one obviously is superior but these people have done justice to the character too. They have different interpretations of mycroft, lestrade, etc. which have been cleverly written. Entertaining.

Akshay

Staff
I liked the BBC's Sherlock quite a bit, but I found this to mostly be a cheaper knock-off. I do love the original stories, though, so it might be the American version just strays too far for me to believe its really about Sherlock Holmes. Also, why is it that every American TV show I watch seems to turn into some flavor of standard police drama?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I liked the BBC's Sherlock quite a bit, but I found this to mostly be a cheaper knock-off. I do love the original stories, though, so it might be the American version just strays too far for me to believe its really about Sherlock Holmes. Also, why is it that every American TV show I watch seems to turn into some flavor of standard police drama?
This is where I'm at. Love the original canon as well.

Member 39557

I like it. It has its flaws and the odd misstep (Irene Adler's true identity anybody?) but I keep going back for more.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
It's hurting atm, IMHO. Writing has taken a bit of a nosedive as they try to figure out a direction to head into since addressing Moriarty perhaps too quickly. I am watching Season 4 but I never even finished episode 3 it was so poor - felt like it was written in 10 minutes. First couple of seasons on the other hand were sharp, I miss that

Mark_GrumpyLion

It's hurting atm, IMHO. Writing has taken a bit of a nosedive as they try to figure out a direction to head into since addressing Moriarty perhaps too quickly. I am watching Season 4 but I never even finished episode 3 it was so poor - felt like it was written in 10 minutes. First couple of seasons on the other hand were sharp, I miss that
I have the same problem with the show right now.

PvsNP

I gave it a season. Meh. It's got nothing on Moffat's adaption.

prath92

Latest season is very creative. They have interesting guest stars. Jon Huertas (Esposito in castle) sendhil Ramamurthy ( Mohinder suresh in heroes) etc.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Currently binging season 4 after the real Sherlock has wet my appetite. Not half bad mindless entertainment this.

Also Lucy Liu :drool:

Wonder how many costumes she goes through in one episode, always fecking new clothes on.

prath92

I like it tbh. Sherlock Holmes seem more real in this. The procedural aspect maybe a bit 'have seen already' but they have some quality writing team with some excellent guest stars.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Man, those are some loooong seasons. But I do crave some 'normal' Sherlock, to wash out the shittiness of that other one.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I like Elementary alot.
Cool twist :)

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I like it tbh. Sherlock Holmes seem more real in this. The procedural aspect maybe a bit 'have seen already' but they have some quality writing team with some excellent guest stars.
Definitely, he isn't shown as a knows everything kind of guy, which worked for the books because there wasn't as much of everything, but wouldn't work in a modern one.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Thought that was the best season to date. Definitely a show that has got better since it started.

I like they give him a human/vulnerability element and also how it's not as confusing as BBC's Sherlock (which until season 2 was better imo)

prath92

I think it's a mix of both. The plot of the season was fairly underwhelming but their episodes are very creative and different.

I like the fact that they don't make him into a rockstar. In Sherlock, Cumberbatch essentially does stuff like Tom Cruise in mission impossible by season 4. He outgrew the role. They keep the elementary version fairly the same over 5 seasons. Socially awkward, introverted genius.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I think it's a mix of both. The plot of the season was fairly underwhelming but their episodes are very creative and different.

I like the fact that they don't make him into a rockstar. In Sherlock, Cumberbatch essentially does stuff like Tom Cruise in mission impossible by season 4. He outgrew the role. They keep the elementary version fairly the same over 5 seasons. Socially awkward, introverted genius.
That's why I prefer sherlock in Elementary, becausehe has real faults and real limitations.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It has most def gotten worse, first three seasons were great, fourth acceptable but this fifth one is just meh.

I still watch it every week though, great as an episode you watch just before bed since it is acceptable to nod off to it.

Dante

Average bang
Last ever episode is airing tonight. It's not the best show of all time, but I've always enjoyed it.

SparkedIntoLife

I really enjoyed the first few series of this show. As others have said, nothing revolutionary but decent. A bit like The Mentalist which is one of my favourite shows, but without the sinister threat of a Red John figure. However, I tuned out in I believe series 4 when the mysteries seemed to go from devious killers to where has Sherlock lost his pen. It all just went far too fluffy and lightweight. Did it get better again or continue on in this general vein?