elite dangerous

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@afrocentricity - Definitely getting into this now. Once I sussed out that there is much better cash to be made helping the feds at Resource Extraction Sites, than there is by doing missions, I started to accumulate some credits.

I bought my first ship - an Eagle - last night and kitted it out. After a while, I decided to go exploring but, from what I've just read, I should really wait until I can get a Cobra, as it's capable of much longer ranges.

My aim now is to get my name on a planet for being the first to discover it. :cool:
Nice, tag me when you're next on

b82REZ

I just can't get my head around the controls. I cannot control it with kb/m and there are too many buttons to map to a controller. How are you guys playing?

Brocky

I'm playing with keyboard & mouse. If you haven't already done so, watch this...

It takes a bit of getting used to and a fair bit of remapping of keys but is pretty simple and also effective, once you get to grips with it.

If you prefer to use a controller, then I would assume that you can still have keys mapped on the KB, right...?

I have a group session set up, if people want to play with others around, but not take the risk of going into open just yet. Add me: -Brocky- (with the hyphens)

b82REZ

I'm playing with keyboard & mouse. If you haven't already done so, watch this...

It takes a bit of getting used to and a fair bit of remapping of keys but is pretty simple and also effective, once you get to grips with it.

If you prefer to use a controller, then I would assume that you can still have keys mapped on the KB, right...?

I have a group session set up, if people want to play with others around, but not take the risk of going into open just yet. Add me: -Brocky- (with the hyphens)
My issue is the camera seems uncontrollable with the mouse. I mapped to a 360 controller and it made certain aspects easier but you do have to have certain bindings on the KB still.

I need to try and get to grips with it because it seems like the kind of game I'll love.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My issue is the camera seems uncontrollable with the mouse. I mapped to a 360 controller and it made certain aspects easier but you do have to have certain bindings on the KB still.

I need to try and get to grips with it because it seems like the kind of game I'll love.
Track IR
its not quite going to be as good as a full rift set up but it certainly helps
or get a good hotas and use one of the thumbsticks as a look around which is how i do it

afrocentricity

Track IR
its not quite going to be as good as a full rift set up but it certainly helps
or get a good hotas and use one of the thumbsticks as a look around which is how i do it
I use my hotas hat for strafing, kb arrow keys for sys/eng/wep pips and mouse for freelook... Took a while to arrive at this setup but it seems to work well for me. TrackIR seems cool but like you say it won't have anything on a VR setup so I'm not even going too bother with it. I'll wait until they hack PSVR for PC.

This must be fcuking great in VR tho!

afrocentricity

You should all add Brocky so we can play in the same instance...

Brocky

I have free-look mapped to my left [ALT] key and have it set so that it centers itself when I let go, but it's very rare that I use it for anything other than finding the dock on a station. I use the radar in combat. I have my dashboard panels on keys 1-4, so they are always within easy reach.

I would say that you're better off learning to play without the controller. It'll feel much more intuitive, once you get a technique down.

To be honest, if it wasn't for that video, I would likely have not even played this, despite desperately wanting to, as I was a huge game of the original, back in the day. Your usual flight-sim is far too difficult for keyboard play and I have no controller. I also don't play at a desk, so can't really use a flight-stick. I'm using this set-up lay on my bed with the keyboard on my lap, but I am doing fine.

Here's a basic rundown of my main bindings:-

W - Forward thrust
S - Reverse thrust
A/D - Strafe left/right
Q/E - Roll left/right
C - Vertical thrust down
[SPACE] - Vertical thrust up
[MOUSE] - Pitch & Yaw

X - Engines 0%
Mouse button 3 - Engines 75%
Mouse scroll - Increase/Decrease engines in 10% increments
[F1] - Super cruise
[F2] - Hyper drive
[F4] - Landing gear
[SHIFT] + WASD - Power management pips

F - Central target
Mouse 4 - Cycle targets
Mouse 5 - Target highest threat
1, 2, 3, 4 - Dashboard panels
[ALT] (hold) - Free-look
[RIGHT SHIFT] - Deploy/Retract hard-points
[BACKSPACE] - Silent running

It's pretty much as described on the video, but with a few personal tweaks. Make sure you set the mouse sensitivity controls as he does near the beginning. Oh and keep that Silent Running key as far away from the action as is possible!

Hope this helps you out a bit.

b82REZ

I have free-look mapped to my left [ALT] key and have it set so that it centers itself when I let go, but it's very rare that I use it for anything other than finding the dock on a station. I use the radar in combat. I have my dashboard panels on keys 1-4, so they are always within easy reach.

I would say that you're better off learning to play without the controller. It'll feel much more intuitive, once you get a technique down.

To be honest, if it wasn't for that video, I would likely have not even played this, despite desperately wanting to, as I was a huge game of the original, back in the day. Your usual flight-sim is far too difficult for keyboard play and I have no controller. I also don't play at a desk, so can't really use a flight-stick. I'm using this set-up lay on my bed with the keyboard on my lap, but I am doing fine.

Here's a basic rundown of my main bindings:-

W - Forward thrust
S - Reverse thrust
A/D - Strafe left/right
Q/E - Roll left/right
C - Vertical thrust down
[SPACE] - Vertical thrust up
[MOUSE] - Pitch & Yaw

X - Engines 0%
Mouse button 3 - Engines 75%
Mouse scroll - Increase/Decrease engines in 10% increments
[F1] - Super cruise
[F2] - Hyper drive
[F4] - Landing gear
[SHIFT] + WASD - Power management pips

F - Central target
Mouse 4 - Cycle targets
Mouse 5 - Target highest threat
1, 2, 3, 4 - Dashboard panels
[ALT] (hold) - Free-look
[RIGHT SHIFT] - Deploy/Retract hard-points
[BACKSPACE] - Silent running

It's pretty much as described on the video, but with a few personal tweaks. Make sure you set the mouse sensitivity controls as he does near the beginning. Oh and keep that Silent Running key as far away from the action as is possible!

Hope this helps you out a bit.
Cheers man. I might jump on later and give it a go.

Brocky

You should all add Brocky so we can play in the same instance...
Gutted! Just racked up around 3mil in bounty, thought about going to turn it in and a wanted Anaconda & Viper wing turns up. Jumped in and a retard fed flies right through my sights, gets hit and I become wanted. Tried my best to bug out but didn't make it. :(

afrocentricity

Gutted! Just racked up around 3mil in bounty, thought about going to turn it in and a wanted Anaconda & Viper wing turns up. Jumped in and a retard fed flies right through my sights, gets hit and I become wanted. Tried my best to bug out but didn't make it. :(
Still get the money though right? Friendly fire hadn't even entered my mind last night...

The fact that they left me to it with a cargo hold full of stolen gear gave me a false sense of security... Guess they had bigger problems

Brocky

Still get the money though right? Friendly fire hadn't even entered my mind last night...

The fact that they left me to it with a cargo hold full of stolen gear gave me a false sense of security... Guess they had bigger problems
Na. Once you lose your ship, your bounty tickets go up in smoke with it.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I just can't get my head around the controls. I cannot control it with kb/m and there are too many buttons to map to a controller. How are you guys playing?
i use(d) a Logitech G13. Took some time till i had everything mapped to where i could find it again. Then worked very well for my purposes, mostly trading, some mining, some exploring, no PvP. I imagine if i took up combat, i might have run out of keys soon.

Only i can't right now because my controls (in station) are incredibly slow and often don't work at all, after pausing a few months and restarting/patching the game recently. Complete clean install didn't help either, must be something in my profile but i can't be bothered to sort it out at the moment.

Brocky

Anyone still play this? I've been getting into it quite a lot, whilst waiting for The Division. Managed to get my Imperial rank up to Viscount last night and bought an Imperial Clipper. Cracking looking ship and fast as fook. Should make a really nice multi-role boat.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I got to the first space station, and couldn't dock. Then I couldn't get out of hyperdrive or something. gave up, its not really geared up for a XBone controller

SCM

Got a new system coming this week finally, so will install it onto there and see if a better computer helps for some stuff. Give it a decent go as well as never got out the tutorials last time around lol

afrocentricity

Anyone still play this? I've been getting into it quite a lot, whilst waiting for The Division. Managed to get my Imperial rank up to Viscount last night and bought an Imperial Clipper. Cracking looking ship and fast as fook. Should make a really nice multi-role boat.
Did you find out what the overall aim of the game was? I'm tempted to come back...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
probably the nicest ship looks wise and as you say it can shift (especially when you consider its size)
I had one a while ago when you could buy without rank because of blah blah some galnet rubbish but I sold it after a while - kinda miss it though
I used it as a bit of a bounty hunter ship as people couldn't outrun you, you could mass lock most things and it has good firepower - costs a bomb to a spec though and its not the best at anything - but a good multipurpose if you cant afford top ships for each role.
I much prefer an annaconda for most things but its rather functional when compared to the looks / sound of the clipper.

Currently have a A apec Annaconda used mostly for trading but a bit of everything
A stripped out asp for exploration
An A spec python for missions / general pew pew action
A vulture for extraction site bounty hunting
and An a spec cobra for smuggling

a few other ships parked here and there that I just cant be bothered to journey to and Im hoping they start some kind of ship delivery service soon.

Not done much planetary landing stuff yet and am not grinding through some federal missions to try the corvette but I'm finding it a bit too grindey so will probably get jack it in soon and go exploring or pirating for a bit

Brocky

Did you find out what the overall aim of the game was? I'm tempted to come back...
Not sure there is one. I'm finding it's one of those games you go back to every now and then and just pick up where you left off. Playing on Open would be fun, if we had a regular fleet, I guess.

probably the nicest ship looks wise and as you say it can shift (especially when you consider its size)
I had one a while ago when you could buy without rank because of blah blah some galnet rubbish but I sold it after a while - kinda miss it though
I used it as a bit of a bounty hunter ship as people couldn't outrun you, you could mass lock most things and it has good firepower - costs a bomb to a spec though and its not the best at anything - but a good multipurpose if you cant afford top ships for each role.
I much prefer an annaconda for most things but its rather functional when compared to the looks / sound of the clipper.

Currently have a A apec Annaconda used mostly for trading but a bit of everything
A stripped out asp for exploration
An A spec python for missions / general pew pew action
A vulture for extraction site bounty hunting
and An a spec cobra for smuggling

a few other ships parked here and there that I just cant be bothered to journey to and Im hoping they start some kind of ship delivery service soon.

Not done much planetary landing stuff yet and am not grinding through some federal missions to try the corvette but I'm finding it a bit too grindey so will probably get jack it in soon and go exploring or pirating for a bit
I love my Asp. I was also using a Vulture for RES but part-exchanged it for the Clipper, which I'll use as a multi-role to work up to the Anaconda. No need for stealth with the Clipper. Just line it up with the letterbox and hit the thrusters. It's a tight squeeze and tricky to stop in the station, though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not sure there is one. I'm finding it's one of those games you go back to every now and then and just pick up where you left off. Playing on Open would be fun, if we had a regular fleet, I guess.

I love my Asp. I was also using a Vulture for RES but part-exchanged it for the Clipper, which I'll use as a multi-role to work up to the Anaconda. No need for stealth with the Clipper. Just line it up with the letterbox and hit the thrusters. It's a tight squeeze and tricky to stop in the station, though.
Dont trade up till you have some spare cash... the conda is woeful without some decent thrusters and guns... so a decent power plant as well.
Good luck docking the conda at full speed - its doable after a bit of practice but I wouldn't recommend it straight away as you can get quite a hefty repair bill

Brocky

I got to the first space station, and couldn't dock. Then I couldn't get out of hyperdrive or something. gave up, its not really geared up for a XBone controller
I play with KB & mouse with little issue.

Dont trade up till you have some spare cash... the conda is woeful without some decent thrusters and guns... so a decent power plant as well.
Good luck docking the conda at full speed - its doable after a bit of practice but I wouldn't recommend it straight away as you can get quite a hefty repair bill
Any tips on fitting the Clipper? I have a good multi-role fit, using 2 beams and 2 cannons, but it get hot pretty quickly in combat, even without using the SCB.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I play with KB & mouse with little issue.

Any tips on fitting the Clipper? I have a good multi-role fit, using 2 beams and 2 cannons, but it get hot pretty quickly in combat, even without using the SCB.
Try bursts that should help with the heat a bit
Use coriolis.io or similar to tweak things

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I've never tried bursts before, now I think about it. Have always used pulse.

I'll give them a look. Cheers.
I always tend to use them in bigger ships as it's hard to keep beams on target for long enough to maximise the usage.
But in a vulture etc then beam for sure

Burst turrets very effective on condas when your facing multiple opponents

afrocentricity

Yup it's real... I'll be booting this up soon to check out the changes since I last played it... it's been a while.

afrocentricity

Fcuk me I'm still a newbie on this, can't remember what ship I had but it's below the ASP... I'll have to team up with a few people.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I never even managed to come out of hyperdrive or megadrive in the tutorial, and then put it down. I was an early adopter, and there were no guides on the internet, and I couldn't work out the button to stop.

Worth me picking this back up?

Brocky

Wow! I have been trying to keep up with the whole Formidine Rift arc, so had a feeling we might see something after New Year, but didn't expect Thargoids.

That said, it means next to nothing if they don't bring anything more than random interdictions. The game is still seriously struggling to give players meaningful gameplay elements. Hopefully this is the start of a turnaround.

Currently have a Type-7, A-rated Asp Explorer, FDL, a WIP Anaconda and an Imperial Courier that I'm currently buzzing round in for kicks.

I'll be on at around 20:40 tonight, Afro. If you're on, we'll hop into a RES and we'll have you in an explorer fit Asp in no time. Around 16m will cover it.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Wow! I have been trying to keep up with the whole Formidine Rift arc, so had a feeling we might see something after New Year, but didn't expect Thargoids.

That said, it means next to nothing if they don't bring anything more than random interdictions. The game is still seriously struggling to give players meaningful gameplay elements. Hopefully this is the start of a turnaround.

Currently have a Type-7, A-rated Asp Explorer, FDL, a WIP Anaconda and an Imperial Courier that I'm currently buzzing round in for kicks.

I'll be on at around 20:40 tonight, Afro. If you're on, we'll hop into a RES and we'll have you in an explorer fit Asp in no time. Around 16m will cover it.
Nice fleet mate !

afrocentricity

Yea nice, I'll try and get on later, gotta reinstall and setup first...

Formidine Rift arc? What's that then?

Brocky

Nice fleet mate !
Cheers. I had a Clipper pretty much A-rated but couldn't really get on with it in a combat role, so traded it in for the FDL. Not got the rank to get a Cutter yet. The Anaconda is gathering dust while I save up for the parts.

Yea nice, I'll try and get on later, gotta reinstall and setup first...

Formidine Rift arc? What's that then?
Lore-based story arc that's being woven into the game. Very long story but there's plenty about it online.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/48be0a/the_formidine_rift/

Last edited: