Ella Toone

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Time to talk about our #7, Ella Toone, particularly because she won the Championship POTM competition this month!

Ella is 19, she's a local, one of the United academy players who left United to find a senior team, and who we brought back as soon as we had one.

She was with Manchester City for a couple of seasons, only making a handful of appearances for them but still doing enough that she was one of the runners-up in the England Women's Young Player of the Year award last year (Beth Mead of Arsenal won). She's played for England U17 and U19 and would have played in the U20 World Cup last summer but was ruled out due to injury.

She came to us from City looking for game time, and of course because we're United. She's scored 12 goals in 13 games in the Championship and has played in most of our Cup games as well. Toon-ay!

flappyjay

It's good to see that we aheve atleast one number seven living up to the jersey

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
There's an interview with her up on the United site today.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ella-toone-interview-ahead-of-mu-women-v-leicester-city-women

A couple of highlights:
You were part of a Manchester City squad that had real success in the league and cup between 2016-18. How would a winner’s medal with United this season compare to that?
Oh, it would be incredible. I didn’t get much game time at City, but obviously I was happy when they were doing well. United is my team, though – the team I’ve supported since I was little – and to win a medal with United is something I always dreamed of growing up. I still find it unbelievable just to be part of the club’s first ever women’s team.

Looking back to last year when you were still at City, what was your initial reaction when you heard United were to create a senior women’s side?
I was so happy to hear it. I spent a long time with United’s girls, and was gutted to leave this club, as all I ever wanted to do was to keep playing for United. Now I’m back here, it feels like we’re making history every day.

And a blast from her United youth past.

Dudu

There's an interview with her up on the United site today.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ella-toone-interview-ahead-of-mu-women-v-leicester-city-women

A couple of highlights:
You were part of a Manchester City squad that had real success in the league and cup between 2016-18. How would a winner’s medal with United this season compare to that?
Oh, it would be incredible. I didn’t get much game time at City, but obviously I was happy when they were doing well. United is my team, though – the team I’ve supported since I was little – and to win a medal with United is something I always dreamed of growing up. I still find it unbelievable just to be part of the club’s first ever women’s team.

Looking back to last year when you were still at City, what was your initial reaction when you heard United were to create a senior women’s side?
I was so happy to hear it. I spent a long time with United’s girls, and was gutted to leave this club, as all I ever wanted to do was to keep playing for United. Now I’m back here, it feels like we’re making history every day.

And a blast from her United youth past.
Woah, that picture! She's a proper Red :drool:

Well done on POTM Ella. Keep it up!

Andersons Dietician

What do people actually make of her? She seems to be one of these players that pops up in the right position and scores goals but kinda feel like she makes a lot of bad decisions on the pitch and doesn’t see passes when she should and takes unlikely shots when there are better options.

Feel like there is still a lot to develop there.

Grande

What do people actually make of her? She seems to be one of these players that pops up in the right position and scores goals but kinda feel like she makes a lot of bad decisions on the pitch and doesn’t see passes when she should and takes unlikely shots when there are better options.

I’m not sure, she is pretty young... but still has seemingly been played ahead of Groenen and Zelem the last two games? She must be doing something right.

Himannv

I thought she was very good in the Championship. WSL is a different kind of league though and I think she's not creative enough and doesn't have enough vision to play behind the striker. She has a goal in her and works hard so it's not all bad. Off the field, she counts in terms of keeping a core of players who actually grew up with United. Decent player and it's still a bit too soon to properly judge her, but in the long term I see her as a squad option.

Andersons Dietician

I thought she was very good in the Championship. WSL is a different kind of league though and I think she's not creative enough and doesn't have enough vision to play behind the striker. She has a goal in her and works hard so it's not all bad. Off the field, she counts in terms of keeping a core of players who actually grew up with United. Decent player and it's still a bit too soon to properly judge her, but in the long term I see her as a squad option.
Yeah, I think in the championship a lot of them could just go on solo runs and take pot shots from anywhere and they’d go in. The league seems they need to play a bit more and consider what they are doing more but she seems locked in this I do it all myself mode to me.

I know her pass against Chelsea was brilliant but honestly watching it I Was hoping they’d take her off and replace her with James as I don’t think she had a good game at all.
Yesterday again I found her quite frustrating, a lot of things tend to break down at her. However she just gets in to the right positions time and time again so if she could get better on the ball and make better decisions she could be great.
Hopefully the likes of Heath and Press can’t impart some knowledge and experience whilst they’re here and improve the decisions of a lot of the younger players.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

For sure. She's only just 21 though (her birthday was a couple of days ago) so there's time. I do think this may be the season where she either establishes herself as a starter/first rotation or she'll move on.

The potential is there, but she needs to be getting regular starts,so it's interesting that she's started the last couple of games. Obviously Casey picks a team to try and win the match, but the preseason matches obviously told her that Ella could be ready and maybe she's testing her as well.

Once Staniforth, Heath, Press, Russo, James are all available and 100% fit - the competition for those front six places will be fierce.