Elon Musk | Owner of X

Revan

Assumptionman
If your previous post was just about tech then that would be more accurate, although even in tech, you're not going to suddenly have bustling offices after years of telework without severely disrupting workforce levels, since a lot of people are simply accustomed to working from home at this stage, and are still likely to look for jobs elsewhere if suddenly confronted by a Musk like edict.

As @Suedesi said above, it is going to vary wildly by industry.
But it is not only Musk though? Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Chinese big companies all have some policies to work a few days from office. Investment banks too. Meta is the only one from the big five who doesn’t request to be in office for at least 3 days, but still highly recommends it and everyone I know there (many people) go a few days to office. All big 5 have released memos that say that people who work in person have been more effective.

If you go from these companies a step down, then you are (very likely) sacrificing a lot in salary, which might not be fine for everyone.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Your point about him not knowing him was bizarre, do you have to know someone to share an opinion or agree with them?
I honestly didn't think it needed explaining, but the implication was that he was trying to impress someone who doesn't know he exists. It wasn't to be taken as a literal request that nobody ever criticize or praise someone if they don't know them personally.

Essentially this meme:

NotThatSoph

Hmm yet he was agreeing with Elon, then changed his opinion. So both right and wrong :smirk:
No, he was always disagreeing with Musk about the thing that was actually being ridiculed, but decided to frame it as Musk being right by focusing on something else.

Revan

Assumptionman
Which bit in that section says Musk was behind PayPal's success? It seems to suggest that was something Confinity already had created before the merge.
It was a strictly 50-50% merge between Peter Thiel's Confinity and Musk's X.com. Musk had more shares in X than Thiel in Confinity, which is why he ended with more shares in Paypal. The story is pretty interesting, cause the companies hated each other, but both Musk and Thiel came to the conclusion that there is gonna be a market crash soon (dotcom), so if they don't join forces they will get screwed.

Source: Thiel's book 'Zero to one'.

So yes, he was partially behind Paypal's success. He even was their first CEO (as the main shareholder) but was fired by shareholders 8 months into job (and replaced by Thiel).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But it is not only Musk though? Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Chinese big companies all have some policies to work a few days from office. Investment banks too. Meta is the only one from the big five who doesn’t request to be in office for at least 3 days, but still highly recommends it and everyone I know there (many people) go a few days to office. All big 5 have released memos that say that people who work in person have been more effective.

If you go from these companies a step down, then you are (very likely) sacrificing a lot in salary, which might not be fine for everyone.
That's reasonable. Most places who do telework do have varying requirements for employees to go to the office one or more days during the week. That's obviously different than full time office work.

Pickle85

What is it about Musk specifically that seems to attract zealot cultists? Even Steve Jobs never seemed to have a following as obsessed with him and with defending him, yet he was a million times the businessman that Musk is

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What is it about Musk specifically that seems to attract zealot cultists? Even Steve Jobs never seemed to have a following as obsessed with him and with defending him, yet he was a million times the businessman that Musk is
Because Steve Jobs wasn’t a total fecking nerd/man-child desperately trying to impress other people online? Which is the demographic that Musk seems to resonate with most strongly.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Because Steve Jobs was a smart and articulate man, the same with Bill Gates, smart and articulate, both have/had faults for sure, but nobody on the Musk fanboy level gives a shit about saving the world or advancing technology or altruism etc ... They love Musk the same reason they love Trump. Because Musk speaks their language, he's a moron, he says stupid shit, he dates models and he goes to raves and he posts absolute bollocks as well as confirms their beliefs with his clearly far right ideology.

The Firestarter

They do believe he is some sort of bona fide genius. Which he is, but only in one aspect: marketing.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If Steve Job's would be actively in twitter in 2023, it would happen exactly the same. He was from another generation and died way before all this social media crap of nowadays but he definitely had a cult behind that would act exactly the same

The Firestarter

If Steve Job's would be actively in twitter in 2023, it would happen exactly the same. He was from another generation and died way before all this social media crap of nowadays but he definitely had a cult behind that would act exactly the same
Steve Jobs wouldn't post remotely similar shit as Elon does. Guy actually had some sense.

Pickle85

Because Steve Jobs wasn’t a total fecking nerd/man-child desperately trying to impress other people online? Which is the demographic that Musk seems to resonate with most strongly.
Because Steve Jobs was a smart and articulate man, the same with Bill Gates, smart and articulate, both have/had faults for sure, but nobody on the Musk fanboy level gives a shit about saving the world or advancing technology or altruism etc ... They love Musk the same reason they love Trump. Because Musk speaks their language, he's a moron, he says stupid shit, he dates models and he goes to raves and he posts absolute bollocks as well as confirms their beliefs with his clearly far right ideology.
They do believe he is some sort of bona fide genius. Which he is, but only in one aspect: marketing.
Think these about cover it, thanks!

Lemoor

Why it is idiotic? Pretty much all companies at this stage are agreeing that work from home does not work that well, and are requesting employees to be 3-4 days at office. Same for anecdotal evidence, pretty much everyone I know agrees that they don’t work near as much from home as they do from office.
Musk in this quote is in no way advocating for hybrid approach.

Conor

It's because he's a bonafide loser, they see themselves in him.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It's because he's a bonafide loser, they see themselves in him.
A successful loser. That's the most important part, I think. He possesses the same "qualities" that cause these weird dudes to fail in life. But as he has obvious success, he serves as the reassuring hope that even these losers could have been a success without ever having to change. They take comfort in his success and fame.

Conor

A successful loser. That's the most important part, I think. He possesses the same "qualities" that cause these weird dudes to fail in life. But as he has obvious success, he serves as the reassuring hope that even these losers could have been a success without ever having to change. They take comfort in his success and fame.
Yeah, that is what I meant. He is the richest man in the world, but still a resounding loser that they can fully identify with.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think it's because he owns cool sounding futuristic tech companies that do cool sounding futuristic tech like things. We're gonna get to mars etc. He's a super rich nerd with a vision and casts himself as a libertarian wet dream.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Steve Jobs wouldn't post remotely similar shit as Elon does. Guy actually had some sense.
He had a equally big ego, so if it would be from the same generation with the same relationship with social media i am not sure about this claim. But we will never know

I agree with you that he seemed to be way smarter ewading the room

Pickle85

Weird take but ok
He's not wrong. Musk seems morally, spiritually and emotionally bankrupt. But hey, he's rich and SLAYS ON TWITTER. The fact that he had to buy a social media platform as essentially a microphone speaks volumes about him.

If you think that having money makes you awesome then Elon Musk is awesome. To me he's a cringey, approval chasing, morally bankrupt edgelord who believes that memes can stand in for a sense of humor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's not wrong. Musk seems morally, spiritually and emotionally bankrupt. But hey, he's rich and SLAYS ON TWITTER. The fact that he had to buy a social media platform as essentially a microphone speaks volumes about him.

If you think that having money makes you awesome then Elon Musk is awesome. To me he's a cringey, approval chasing, morally bankrupt edgelord who believes that memes can stand in for a sense of humor.
I think he doesn’t get nearly enough sleep at a time when he’s clearly bitten off more than he can chew by adding Twitter to his already full schedule of companies, which is not only making his public image suffer, but the strategic direction of each of his companies as well.

Pickle85

I think he doesn’t get nearly enough sleep at a time when he’s clearly bitten off more than he can chew by adding Twitter to his already full schedule of companies, which is not only making his public image suffer, but the strategic direction of each of his companies as well.
Agreed. I'm hoping for a very public meltdown at some point.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
If his parents were just regular working joes, and not rich, he'd be a loon on a forum who everyone mocks. He wouldn't be rich and he wouldn't be successful because he is nowhere near as smart as people think.