Elon Musk | Owner of X

cafecillos

Yeah, any variation of that one is deffo one of the two.
Bigotry aside, what do they think the word "pronoun" means? Did they just "learn" it in connection with the trans debate and think it only means something in that context?

Eriku

Bigotry aside, what do they think the word "pronoun" means? Did they just "learn" it in connection with the trans debate and think it only means something in that context?
That is pretty hilarious tbh :lol:

Clearly similar to how some people on the right think woke is some blanket term to be applied to anything they don’t like to their left.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why are you criticising him on the Caf? Not like he frequents here?
OP is allowed to get what Musk is on about and agree with him. It's hardly defending him, just holding a similar point of view.
Who said he wasn't allowed to agree with him? You can hold whatever your opinion you want, and I can call you out on it if I feel it's fair. In this case he jumped to Musk's defense before quickly agreeing that the main part of it, clearly the part that the original poster had a problem with, was obviously wrong. Revan has a history on here of defending Musk to a sometimes embarrassing degree.

To his credit he does sometimes see through Musk, and he used to be a lot more adamant about defending him.

mu4c_20le

Why it is idiotic? Pretty much all companies at this stage are agreeing that work from home does not work that well, and are requesting employees to be 3-4 days at office. Same for anecdotal evidence, pretty much everyone I know agrees that they don’t work near as much from home as they do from office.
Man I love being able to post conjecture without having to back it up. It's what makes the caf great.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That is pretty hilarious tbh :lol:

Clearly similar to how some people on the right think woke is some blanket term to be applied to anything they don’t like to their left.
It doesn't even need to be to their left, just something that annoys them slightly for no apparent reason. I mate told me he heard a guy at the beach saying the city has gone woke because they put more trash bins at the beach. Insanity.

Suedesi

it’s not really that complicated. take away the govt subsidies he received and his father’s diamond fortune and he is nothing more than a bald twat who rages like an incel.
You're being too reductionist, and you probably know it yourself.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why it is idiotic? Pretty much all companies at this stage are agreeing that work from home does not work that well, and are requesting employees to be 3-4 days at office. Same for anecdotal evidence, pretty much everyone I know agrees that they don’t work near as much from home as they do from office.
Do you have anything to back up the claim in bold?

Suedesi

Everyone I know, bar one or two people, says the opposite.
The way I look at it, seasoned executives/engineers/PM's etc can work as productively from home as from the office. If they've got the work discipline and work ethic that is.

Younger employees, who don't know their ass from their elbow (talking about finance, law, startups) need to be in the office to learn from seasoned employees. If you're a junior trader / investment banker/ lawyer / marketing person you really better off showing up in the office to learn from your seasoned colleagues - that's obvious.

Morality's got nothing to do with it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. The stat I've seen is that productivity of those working from home is higher than when they worked in an office (no commute time, more comfort, more family time = happier employee etc.) and 40% of those who teleworked from home during the pandemic are saying they will seek other jobs if they are forced back to the office. This has been the norm in tech for many years and i can see how various tech companies would crack down on things like telework employees who rarely log in during the day and that sort of thing, but the broader concept of telework is here to stay.

Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

WFH works fairly well in traditional engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, etc.). Partly because there isn't the level of innovation in this field compared to Big Tech. Partly because very few people get into traditional engineering considering how hot Tech is right now, so engineering firms don't have the talent pool to force people to come to office, they would just join another firm which allows WFH.

Last edited:

Suedesi

Its pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. The stat I've seen is that productivity of those working from home is higher than when they worked in an office (no commute time, more comfort, more family time etc.) and 40% of those who teleworked from home during the pandemic are saying they will seek other jobs if they are forced back to the office. This has been the norm in tech for many years and i can see how various tech companies would crack down on things like telework employees who rarely log in during the day and that sort of thing, but the broader concept of telework is here to stay.
I suppose it's industry specific

Banking / Big law are requesting butts in the office

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/business/jpmorgan-return-to-office-five-days/index.html
https://www.abajournal.com/news/art...y-a-week-schedule-one-ties-attendance-to-cash

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
'All big companies' translated from @Revan speak means Google, Meta and a few other tech companies he deems elite.
He didn’t even say big companies, rather “pretty much all companies”.

Purely from my own anecdotal experience the norm is a hybrid approach with 2 days in the office, but there’s lots who don’t even do that. Seniority and experience plays a part in it, but the idea that there’s a blanket rejection of WFH seems highly unlikely to me.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If work from home would reduce the costs while increasing the margins, trust me, every company would go permanently to that. Companies care only about the profits (I think we can all agree on that) so if W4H brings more profits, they would do so. They want now people to work from office, because surprise surprise, people work more, harder and better from office which ultimately helps companies get higher margins.
I'd say this is more rhetorical than reality

Revan

Assumptionman

Purely from my own anecdotal experience the norm is a hybrid approach with 2 days in the office, but there’s lots who don’t even do that. Seniority and experience plays a part in it, but the idea that there’s a blanket rejection of WFH seems highly unlikely to me.
I corrected in my next post that I was talking for big tech companies. I mean, we are talking for Musk (so Tesla), I thought that was obvious.

Suedesi

didn’t say PayPal had anything to do with subsidies. everyone under the sun knows it’s regarding tesla. but let’s play this game, so how exactly did he get money to invest in PayPal?
Wikipedia is your friend
Zip2

In 1995, Musk, his brother Kimbal, and Greg Kouri founded Zip2.[49][50] Errol Musk provided them with $28,000 in funding.[51] The company developed an Internet city guide with maps, directions, and yellow pages, and marketed it to newspapers.[52] They worked at a small rented office in Palo Alto,[53] Musk coding the website every night.[53] Eventually, Zip2 obtained contracts with The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune.[43] The brothers persuaded the board of directors to abandon a merger with CitySearch;[54] however, Musk's attempts to become CEO were thwarted.[55] Compaq acquired Zip2 for $307 million in cash in February 1999,[56][57] and Musk received $22 million for his 7-percent share.[58]

X.com and PayPal

Later in 1999, Musk co-founded X.com, an online financial services and e-mail payment company.[59] X.com was one of the first federally insured online banks, and over 200,000 customers joined in its initial months of operation.[60] Even though Musk founded the company, investors regarded him as inexperienced and replaced him with Intuit CEO Bill Harris by the end of the year.[61]

In 2000, X.com merged with online bank Confinity to avoid competition,[53][61][62] as Confinity's money-transfer service PayPal was more popular than X.com's service.[63] Musk then returned as CEO of the merged company. His preference for Microsoft over Unix-based software caused a rift among the company's employees, and led Peter Thiel, Confinity's founder, to resign.[64] With the company suffering from compounding technological issues and the lack of a cohesive business model, the board ousted Musk and replaced him with Thiel in September 2000.[65]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#cite_note-69 Under Thiel, the company focused on the money-transfer service and was renamed PayPal in 2001.[67][68]

In 2002, PayPal was acquired by eBay for $1.5 billion in stock, of which Musk—the largest shareholder with 11.72% of shares—received $175.8 million.[69][70]

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I corrected in my next post that I was talking for big tech companies. I mean, we are talking for Musk (so Tesla), I thought that was obvious.
If your previous post was just about tech then that would be more accurate, although even in tech, you're not going to suddenly have bustling offices after years of telework without severely disrupting workforce levels, since a lot of people are simply accustomed to working from home at this stage, and are still likely to look for jobs elsewhere if suddenly confronted by a Musk like edict.

As @Suedesi said above, it is going to vary wildly by industry.

Conor

I work for a very large tech company, and they've said they want hybrid workers to come in 2 days a week, but allowed anyone that wants to switch to remote to do so, with no salary implications.

They could provide absolutely no evidence of productivity issues, and never even tried to claim that as the reason for the turnaround, they cited the impression of customers and the wider market in general(read as old rich guys like musk that don't believe in wfh) as the reason for it.

entropy

Wikipedia is your friend
Zip2

In 1995, Musk, his brother Kimbal, and Greg Kouri founded Zip2.[49][50] Errol Musk provided them with $28,000 in funding.[51] The company developed an Internet city guide with maps, directions, and yellow pages, and marketed it to newspapers.[52] They worked at a small rented office in Palo Alto,[53] Musk coding the website every night.[53] Eventually, Zip2 obtained contracts with The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune.[43] The brothers persuaded the board of directors to abandon a merger with CitySearch;[54] however, Musk's attempts to become CEO were thwarted.[55] Compaq acquired Zip2 for $307 million in cash in February 1999,[56][57] and Musk received $22 million for his 7-percent share.[58]

X.com and PayPal

Later in 1999, Musk co-founded X.com, an online financial services and e-mail payment company.[59] X.com was one of the first federally insured online banks, and over 200,000 customers joined in its initial months of operation.[60] Even though Musk founded the company, investors regarded him as inexperienced and replaced him with Intuit CEO Bill Harris by the end of the year.[61]

In 2000, X.com merged with online bank Confinity to avoid competition,[53][61][62] as Confinity's money-transfer service PayPal was more popular than X.com's service.[63] Musk then returned as CEO of the merged company. His preference for Microsoft over Unix-based software caused a rift among the company's employees, and led Peter Thiel, Confinity's founder, to resign.[64] With the company suffering from compounding technological issues and the lack of a cohesive business model, the board ousted Musk and replaced him with Thiel in September 2000.[65]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#cite_note-69 Under Thiel, the company focused on the money-transfer service and was renamed PayPal in 2001.[67][68]

In 2002, PayPal was acquired by eBay for $1.5 billion in stock, of which Musk—the largest shareholder with 11.72% of shares—received $175.8 million.[69][70]
that’s a whole lotta copying and pasting to avoid saying the obvious aka his dad helped helped him with a handout. just for reference this was my post you were replying to btw
it’s not really that complicated. take away the govt subsidies he received and his father’s diamond fortune and he is nothing more than a bald twat who rages like an incel.

Suedesi

that’s a whole lotta copying and pasting to avoid saying the obvious aka his dad helped helped him with a handout. just for reference this was my post you were replying to btw
Right, the $28,000 from his dad really made the difference in Elon's outcome in life. If Tesla went bankrupt without gov't subsidies (GM, Ford etc got handouts too), I reckon Elon would have still been able to raise money from VC's on other projects given his stellar track record (X, Paypal, SpaceX) and he'd been wildly successful regardless.

My point in this thread before you chimed in with your reductionist drivel was that the type of 30-yr old who takes on NASA and GM/Ford/Chrysler at the same time is someone who operates in his distorted version of reality. Not in an egotistical way, but in a genuine, believe-it-in-your-bones way. The type of person who can dump a personal fortune into colonizing Mars is not the kind of person that worries about the downsides of hyperbole or Twitter etiquette.

You are missing the forest for the trees - but by all means continue to rage at every Elon tweet - I'm sure it's productive and cathartic...

nimic

something nice
Scout
You are missing the forest for the trees - but by all means continue to rage at every Elon tweet - I'm sure it's productive and cathartic...
You are aware that this is the Elon Musk + Twitter thread? If you don't find it relevant, interesting or cathartic, you don't have to read it.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It doesn't even need to be to their left, just something that annoys them slightly for no apparent reason. I mate told me he heard a guy at the beach saying the city has gone woke because they put more trash bins at the beach. Insanity.
Yes anyone using the term "woke" to criticise anything is generally not worth listening to at all since it doesn't mean anything anymore.
I saw someone commenting in Danish on an article shared on Facebook that it was another problem with all the "WOKE" stuff. The article was about a very fancy, very expensive cake and it was apparently woke that the cake was expensive.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes anyone using the term "woke" to criticise anything is generally not worth listening to at all since it doesn't mean anything anymore.
I saw someone commenting in Danish on an article shared on Facebook that it was another problem with all the "WOKE" stuff. The article was about a very fancy, very expensive cake and it was apparently woke that the cake was expensive.
Woke definition is very clear. "Something that annoys me for no good reason."

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wikipedia is your friend
Zip2

X.com and PayPal

Which bit in that section says Musk was behind PayPal's success? It seems to suggest that was something Confinity already had created before the merge.

entropy

Right, the $28,000 from his dad really made the difference in Elon's outcome in life.
ummm it literally did. unless you live in an alternate reality where you don’t need money, or investors to start a business venture. if my barely two-sentence reply is rage-fueled drivel? I am not sure what the rest of your entire post is. also to your point about PayPal’s success, musk got fired six months in for sucking at his job. so you are wrong on that count as well.

NotThatSoph

I'm sure it's productive and cathartic...
Is this productive?

Huh? I'm sticking up for the guy that has created several businesses, employed thousands of people, done a lot to advance clean tech energy vs a bunch of fecking fossils in Congress that are grandstanding and talking out of their ass. Fück Bernie, the country voted for Biden - he and AOC need to feck off.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shit-stirrer supreme
Elon is the greatest human being on Earth, I don't know why you plebs can't recognize it.

Ducks to buy some $TSLA strangles
This forum is toxic, they would find fault with Mother Teresa.

Elon's an awesome entrepreneur and a flawed human. But reading this thread, it's clear the CAF dislikes him so it's a waste of time to have a constructive debate. Apparently Elon's dumb, Tesla is a piece of trash and all nuance is out of the window.
Elon rocks, but Maher was a bit too deferential in that interview. Also where was Ian Bremmer on that panel tonight
You're in here acting like a teenager in the front row of a Taylor Swift concert. Presumably because you enjoy it.

Red_toad

Who said he wasn't allowed to agree with him? You can hold whatever your opinion you want, and I can call you out on it if I feel it's fair. In this case he jumped to Musk's defense before quickly agreeing that the main part of it, clearly the part that the original poster had a problem with, was obviously wrong. Revan has a history on here of defending Musk to a sometimes embarrassing degree.

To his credit he does sometimes see through Musk, and he used to be a lot more adamant about defending him.
Was he wrong or is that your opinion?
Your point about him not knowing him was bizarre, do you have to know someone to share an opinion or agree with them?