England Discussion

Hulme91

Unbelievable opportunity for both France and England tonight

Portugal look so shaky against counter attacking football and you'd take Morocco any day of the week in a semi final regardless of how well they've done so far

Scriblerus

Unbelievable opportunity for both France and England tonight

Portugal look so shaky against counter attacking football and you'd take Morocco any day of the week in a semi final regardless of how well they've done so far
That's Morocco who have now beaten Belgium, Spain and Portugal and conceded one goal (by their own player) along the way. They could do it against France as well.

Hulme91

That's Morocco who have now beaten Belgium, Spain and Portugal and conceded one goal (by their own player) along the way. They could do it against France as well.
Like I said... Morocco have done incredibly well but you'd take them every day of the week if they were offered in a semi final, this is the stage where you usually face a high ranked fancied winner

ThinkTank@Cafe

England is a good team to practice stoicism. Being England’s fan for 24 years, I humbly expect Lions to lose to France with a usual level of drama. Like Germany 96, like Arg 98, like Seaman 02, like 4-2 Germany with Lamps goal, like…you know it

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
England is a good team to practice stoicism. Being England’s fan for 24 years, I humbly expect Lions to lose to France with a usual level of drama. Like Germany 96, like Arg 98, like Seaman 02, like 4-2 Germany with Lamps goal, like…you know it
Not sure that's Stoicism. Sounds like defeatism. Either way it's understandable.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Like France 22, when Kane couldn’t become sole England all time scorer

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unlucky. Thought ye were the better side against a team I thought would beat ye. One of your better performances against a big side I can remember.

Nobody particularly to blame either. Kane missed the penalty obviously but ye can hardly call him a bottler when he scored one earlier in the game

Would normally be critical of Southgate who I generally don't rate but if I'm saying ye were unlucky... *shrugs*

Jev

Feel bad for England today. I thought you deserved it. You were better than France today and have been arguably the best international team over the past three major tournaments (WC 2018, Euro 2020, WC 2022). Tough not to have a trophy to show for it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fecking England never seem to get an upset against a better side, always have to predictably lose and put in a "cute" performance after which everyone predictably says it's "promising" for the next tournament.

Ekeke

Closer than I expected, partly because France were extremely mediocre.

Kane missed a penalty, Maguire had a great chance with a header he could have scored

However Giroud could have had a couple more and France barely got out of 2nd gear and they still went through. On that performance France were there for the taking and we didnt have the bottle for it

TheReligion

Abusive
Turned out I was right. Enjoy your tears tonight buddy.
Better to be able to enjoy my country at a tournament and come up short than sit at home watching it all wishing my country could win a qualifier to even make the plane.

This England bunch is young enough to come again. It is what it is.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Am I the only one who thinks Southgate is gradually getting better as England manager? We have stinkers now and then but we’re all too reactionary when they happen. Looks like we’re getting better and playing more on the front foot than we were at tournaments.

Lee565

We needed a griezmann type figure in midfield and the closest we had to that was maddison but was snubbed in favour of mount who is just meh on the ball and grealish who just dribbles until he get's fouled and does little else and not just for England but man City as well

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Better to be able to enjoy my country at a tournament and come up short than sit at home watching it all wishing my country could win a qualifier to even make the plane.

This England bunch is young enough to come again. It is what it is.
England plays well today and yes their young talents are great enough to be the winner next time.

Wilt

Am I the only one who thinks Southgate is gradually getting better as England manager? We have stinkers now and then but we’re all too reactionary when they happen. Looks like we’re getting better and playing more on the front foot than we were at tournaments.
Yes

Irwin99

Not sure. To be clear I thought England deserved to win and were the better team but look at the elite teams he's beaten in knockout football:

Germany (at HOME)

that's it! You have to keep asking the question as to why this happens.

Jev

His selections and tactics have been pretty impeccable this tournament and he's made the right adjustments during the tournament.

laughtersassassin

Played well but didn't look like a scoring from open play.

France brainfarts kept it close.

England where better but considering France actually scored and had a few open play chances I'd say they deserved it a tad more.

For all England's dominance they didn't do enough with it.

Lecland07

We needed a griezmann type figure in midfield and the closest we had to that was maddison but was snubbed in favour of mount who is just meh on the ball and grealish who just dribbles until he get's fouled and does little else and not just for England but man City as well
Yeah, I don't get his dislike of Maddison. Provides both goals and assists and is different to everything England have.

Hopefully, a new young AM/CM comes through because that plus Rice and Bellingham could be a great midfield for years to come.

cyberman

Have no idea what the Sterling sub was about when Rashford is right there and to bring on Mount over Maddison is beyond belief. Did you want to win the game or not?
It’s that bad habit of thinking you’re doing well so you make nothing subs to try and keep it how it is. That’s what amount screamed to me

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yep, I actually agree.

DavelinaJolie

Same as the other competitive games really, plenty of possession, unable to create chances from open play.

Admittedly that was partly due to French players halting forward progress with crack back blocks all the time. But what the heck. Still an inability to actually create anything.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Played well but didn't look like a scoring from open play.

France brainfarts kept it close.

England where better but considering France actually scored and had a few open play chances I'd say they deserved it a tad more.

For all England's dominance they didn't do enough with it.
This.

England have the players but the coaching keep them from winning against the big dogs. Germany is the only exception and they are very much a muzzled big dog.

Lee565

Have no idea what the Sterling sub was about when Rashford is right there and to bring on Mount over Maddison is beyond belief. Did you want to win the game or not?
It’s that bad habit of thinking you’re doing well so you make nothing subs to try and keep it how it is. That’s what amount screamed to me
It wasn't even the mount sub but grealish in the last few minutes when we had nothing to lose and had to throw everything at France and he put 100m flop grealish who has been 100% style over substance at the highest level for club and Country

Hammondo

Feel bad for England today. I thought you deserved it. You were better than France today and have been arguably the best international team over the past three major tournaments (WC 2018, Euro 2020, WC 2022). Tough not to have a trophy to show for it.
We haven't beaten a good team.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Desperate to win something again. Must be around 500 United and England matches since either side last won anything.

I know fans of other clubs will have much longer barren streaks, but both sides should won something in recent seasons and tournaments.

footballbite

As much as England dominated the ball for most of the match, France found the cutting edge when it mattered and probably just about deserved the win. We can't just be relying on penalties to win.

They managed a quality strike from midfield, while capitalising on our CBs falling asleep for the second goal. We couldn't find a route to the back of the net from open play.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Everyone will overreact, but you're right, I've never seen us take it and be the better side against a team as good as France. Unfortunately it's a results game, but at least we went out on our terms.

rpitchfo

Not sure. To be clear I thought England deserved to win and were the better team but look at the elite teams he's beaten in knockout football:

Germany (at HOME)

that's it! You have to keep asking the question as to why this happens.
that’s every england manager ever though

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We haven't beaten a good team.
It’s such a meaninglessly small sample of games in international tournaments from which to draw conclusions. It’s like assessing PL clubs solely based on their FA Cup results from every even-numbered year.