England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because we got to extra time in the semi finals for feck sake.

When are you allowed to think you can win?
I said and why not, like why shouldn’t you sing it and believe and not think it’s irony. Maybe I didn’t write it well enough but fecking touchy be jeezed.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not sure I agree with the winning mentality point. They've won one drawn one lost one so far this tourney whereas we've won two and drawn one. Didn't they get dumped out of the world cup in groups as well? I get that it's Germany, we've a terrible record against them etc but it's as good a chance against them as we've had in twenty years or so.
Like Neville alluded to, England isn't capable of 'dominating' games like this because of their negative attitude and negative management. That pragmatism has been ingrained over many years and will be hard to reverse. Germany has disappointed at the last WC and recently but they know what it's like to win these games, they've been there and done it. That sort of experience will help see them past us.

I thought it was concerning that before the tournament had one of the youngest squads in the competition that around 60% of them had never played in a major international tournament before. In big knockout games like this one experience is vital. I just don't think we have enough of it and enough 'winners'

Irwin99

Don't know which Germany is going to show up against England: the ones that beat Portugal with some class or the ones who just about got a draw against a fairly decent and spirited Hungary.

Even though England beat Croatia fairly easily in the group stage a constant theme in the past decade or so has been an English midfield getting dominated by a top midfielder(s) in a tournament and then crashing out;
  • Germany and Ozil/Schweinsteiger in '10,
  • Italy and Pirlo in 12 and 14
  • Modric and co in 2018
Germany are going to have to hope that continues and Toni Kroos plays a blinder if they can win this game I feel, especially with their defence against England's attacking players. Should be a lot of fun, am looking forward to it.

slyadams

I wouldnt start with a 17 year old CM. Obviously bringing him on in games is fine but if you start heaping pressure on a kid of that age youre not doing him any favours.
I get what you’re saying, but this 17 year old has played a full season for Dortmund including a run in the CL. At no point has he looked awed or out of place. Feels like alongside Rice it could give us a lot more quality overall.

hubbuh

Exactly why AWB should have been in the squad, he won't get bullied.
I dunno, we've seen him struggle with his positioning quite a few times. Maybe in a couple of years he'll be tighter, but right now I don't think he gets in on merit.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Imagine Hungary had beaten Germany. Our bracket would be so easy :lol:

I’m not hopeful whatsoever of us getting past Germany to be honest. But you never know.
Actually if Hungary had won that game, Portugal would be heading to Wembley.

marktan

Tactically should be interesting. Southgate should go to the back 5 for this match.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
100%.

Maybe Bellingham would be the better option but there's just no chance Southgate takes a gamble like that.

He's not that sort of manager
I think we can all name the lineup right now. Pickford-Walker-Stones-Maguire-Shaw-Rice-Phillips-Sterling-Mount-Foden-Kane

That or a back 3

Djemba-Djemba

:lol: All good

I like a good England Germany game, I was happy it fell like that. Looking forward to it.
I already feel sick.

If we can get over our massive inferiority complex with Germany then we can win. But I can't ever be confident against Germany.

Fancy you against Denmark though. Definitely.

saivet

Massive game for us next week. I think we should be able to win, but given the history I'm not confident at all.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Like Neville alluded to, England isn't capable of 'dominating' games like this because of their negative attitude and negative management. That pragmatism has been ingrained over many years and will be hard to reverse. Germany has disappointed at the last WC and recently but they know what it's like to win these games, they've been there and done it. That sort of experience will help see them past us.

I thought it was concerning that before the tournament had one of the youngest squads in the competition that around 60% of them had never played in a major international tournament before. In big knockout games like this one experience is vital. I just don't think we have enough of it and enough 'winners'
How experienced is this German side though? Isn't this the first tournament for Gnabry, Havertz and Gosens?