England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Mings is a much worse option at centre back than Trippier is as a wing back.

As a Chelsea fan I'd love to see James on the right but I don't think it's a terrible decision.
I meant for Mings to play as a third CB, alongside rather than replace one of Maguire or Stones.

I don't rate James from what I've seen so far, Mings should be ahead in the pecking order.

stw2022

So many of our potentially important players going forward are fresh as daisies for one reason or another: Chilwell, Mount Henderson, Sancho, Grealish, Calvert-Lewin

Classical Mechanic

So many of our potentially important players going forward are fresh as daisies for one reason or another: Chilwell, Mount Henderson, Sancho, Grealish, Calvert-Lewin
Mcmanaman said there was a better team on the bench than the one on the pitch that beat Germany. Might have been a slight exaggeration but the depth is very good.

I guess it would be

—————-Johnstone—————
-James-Mings-White-Chilwell
—Henderson——Bellingham—
Foden———Mount——-Sancho
——————Rashford—————-

Threesus

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t like that our guys are way friendlier with players from other English clubs in the national team setup. I know that it helps the English national team and all that, but it just seems like the rivalry has been lost.

I remember Rio saying in an interview that he just hated seeing Liverpool players during international tournaments. Do you think that this camaraderie is a good development?

Matriac

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t like that our guys are way friendlier with players from other English clubs in the national team setup. I know that it helps the English national team and all that, but it just seems like the rivalry has been lost.

I remember Rio saying in an interview that he just hated seeing Liverpool players during international tournaments. Do you think that this camaraderie is a good development?

It's just natural evolution.

I think technology, and especially social media has changed the landscape for two reasons.

1. It's much easier to stay in touch with other players online, even if not communicating directly, just seeing what they are up to etc.

2. It's much harder to hide how chummy they actually are on international duty since we see a constant stream of images, not just what's printed in newspapers or evening broadcasts.

While it is still true rivalry between clubs, I bet they over-exaggerated a bit to make a show out of it in the past.

saivet

I much prefer it the way it is. It's better for the team that everyone gets along and there aren't clear divisions in the squad. It's also easier for new players joining the squad. I don't see there being any negatives associated with it to be honest.

croadyman

Looking at the game tonight IF we can somehow negate these two games hard to see us beating either in a final

MU655

Looking at the game tonight IF we can somehow negate these two games hard to see us beating either in a final
I think we can if we are more aggressive. Sitting back against Italy could be a major issue looking at this game. Of course, that is if we get that far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Southgate is shameless in his hate for the Bundesliga if this happens :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Southgate is shameless in his hate for the Bundesliga if this happens :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean, yeah, it's a bit weird that Sancho had to sign for United before Southgate realized he was actually alive and well and active member of his England squad, but that's just the way it is.

This is fine.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So if that’s right, you’d expect:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips
Mount

Sancho
Kane
Sterling

I can’t see how he leaves Grealish out after the other night, but I can’t fit him in if Mount and Sancho are playing

Canucantona20

So if that’s right, you’d expect:

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips
Mount

Sancho
Kane
Sterling

I can’t see how he leaves Grealish out after the other night, but I can’t fit him in if Mount and Sancho are playing
Wish Bellingham would get a start to let rice or Phillips rest

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We've got like 4 players on a yellow as well, so possible he rests a couple of those. Maguire, Phillips, Rice and Foden are the 4.

Grealish as an impact sub has been amazing, and you don't fix what isn't broken. Start defensively solid and take the handbrake off later if we haven't got the breakthrough. Possible Mings starts over Maguire after proving a capable understudy, and then Henderson or Bellingham for one of Phillips or Rice.

Pickford
Walker Stones Mings Shaw
Phillops/Rice Bellingham/Henderson
Sancho Mount Sterling
Kane

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Even if England win, I will never rate Southgate. Same way I don't rate Santos.
This guy I'd too conservative and fixed in his ways. Players like Grealish and Sancho are wildcards, not to be trusted. What an awful way looking at football.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Even if England win, I will never rate Southgate. Same way I don't rate Santos.
This guy I'd too conservative and fixed in his ways. Players like Grealish and Sancho are wildcards, not to be trusted. What an awful way looking at football.
Meh . That’s such an odd way of looking at things . For decades England played ludicrous lineups to accommodate the star players but now they finally are picking a team before looking at individuals

Classical Mechanic

The old toxic atmosphere was part of the problem. Carrick said playing for England in that era gave him depression. Dean Ashton said on his lone call up no one even talked to him because they were in their cliques. He said it was unwelcoming and a weird experience. It’s not really the best conditions for a team to thrive in.

One of the aims of the FA in revolutionising the setup was to get rid of the divisions in the squad. Southgate has been brilliant at it.

RE Sancho, I think that he was overlooked because he was distracted by the transfer rather than anything to do with the Bundesliga. Sancho should be riding high emotionally right now. I mean Southgate has given a 17 Bellingham a decent amount of game time.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This is the second tournament in a row where we've been largely quite rubbish and had an idiot as a manager, and somehow will manage to make our way to the later stages through just somehow not playing against anyone who's all that good...well unless we ge to the final and get completely owned by Italy.

What did Mount do in any of the group games to deserve a recall? He was god awful against Scotland. Sterling will also start on the left again, completely ignoring that he's been utterly useless there and everything effective he's done has come from him being on the opposite side and allowing someone who actually provides width/balance to be on the left to create chances for him.

I mean we actually have a chance of winning this tournament despite having a largely average squad. I'm worried/semi convinced Southgate is going to ham it up because he'd rather stick with what he knows until it kills him than use his players properly. Grealish should clearly be starting at this point and although Saka has done well I'm not really sure what he offers that justifies playing him ahead of Foden. Particularly if Mount comes back in and Foden doesn't, since the later is twice as talented and has also played better when picked.

Also hopefully Jermaine Jenas isn't commentating on this game otherwise it'll be another 90 minutes of him just slagging Luke Shaw off for no reason and coming up with overly complicated ways to sub Luke Shaw off the pitch, then having to backtrack like an internet troll gremlin when Shaw sets up all of England's goals and the co commentator starts no so subtly calling him out on his weird bias.

cyberman

Honest to God, I can't believe a reporter asked Southgate if he would rest booked players for the semi final. Thats one of the cockiest, arrogant questions Ive ever read.

Jam

It’s very much a catch-22.

The old Premier League rivalries are all but dead and only fans hang onto them. But then internationally everyones chummy and works together for a common goal when they didn’t use to.

United v Arsenal/Liverpool/Leeds, London derbies, Merseyside derbies are nothing like they used to be.

And I don’t mean the hooliganism - good fecking riddance to that. I mean the general attitudes towards the games have been watered down.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Honest to God, I can't believe a reporter asked Southgate if he would rest booked players for the semi final. Thats one of the cockiest, arrogant questions Ive ever read.
I don't necessarily think it is. England should be beating Ukraine. That's not arrogance, it's an acceptable expectation. With the quality we have, and the relatively easy route to the final, Southgate should be making decisions based on winning the tournament, and not just the next game.

I don't necessarily think it is. England should be beating Ukraine. That's not arrogance, it's an acceptable expectation. With the quality we have, and the relatively easy route to the final, Southgate should be making decisions based on winning the tournament, and not just the next game.
it’s a difficult one for Southgate - he will be slaughtered if he makes changes today, and we lose.

i do however think he should rotate one of Rice/Phillips as it’s a potential risk both could be suspended for the semi.

Id like to see Henderson start, as I think he could be an important player.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
This England squad is not “largely average”, at all.

The depth we have is incredible.

I can’t knock Gareth for trying to keep it tight either.

For club football, I’d absolutely prefer to build an attacking team, over years of gradual development.

On the international stage, though, it makes a lot of sense to be ruthlessly efficient defensively— knowing you have the attacking quality to put away chances.

All about the results.

Classical Mechanic

There's nothing arrogant about it. It a perfectly logical consideration when you have quality players to come in. Henderson can come in for Rice or Phillips and plenty of good players that can play instead of Foden. Maguire is a little more difficult but Mings played very well in his appearances. Any manager would be weighing the balance of such decisions.

Last edited:

stw2022

If we win it’ll prove we’re rubbish. If we go out it’ll prove we’ve massively under achieved. All of which is of secondary concern to English people wanting England to win is indistinguishable from racism.

…or something

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is the second tournament in a row where we've been largely quite rubbish and had an idiot as a manager, and somehow will manage to make our way to the later stages through just somehow not playing against anyone who's all that good...well unless we ge to the final and get completely owned by Italy.

What did Mount do in any of the group games to deserve a recall? He was god awful against Scotland. Sterling will also start on the left again, completely ignoring that he's been utterly useless there and everything effective he's done has come from him being on the opposite side and allowing someone who actually provides width/balance to be on the left to create chances for him.

I mean we actually have a chance of winning this tournament despite having a largely average squad. I'm worried/semi convinced Southgate is going to ham it up because he'd rather stick with what he knows until it kills him than use his players properly. Grealish should clearly be starting at this point and although Saka has done well I'm not really sure what he offers that justifies playing him ahead of Foden. Particularly if Mount comes back in and Foden doesn't, since the later is twice as talented and has also played better when picked.

Also hopefully Jermaine Jenas isn't commentating on this game otherwise it'll be another 90 minutes of him just slagging Luke Shaw off for no reason and coming up with overly complicated ways to sub Luke Shaw off the pitch, then having to backtrack like an internet troll gremlin when Shaw sets up all of England's goals and the co commentator starts no so subtly calling him out on his weird bias.
If Italy played the way we have and had comfortable 1-0 wins. Everyone would say how calm and collected they've been and it's something to be worried about, but because it's England and fans have unreal expectations that we should spank everyone 3-0 we are left disappointed.

I'm warning you now, that tonights game will be no different. Ukraine will sit back and have 10 men behind the ball and make it very hard for England. Expect a 1-0 win.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think we can if we are more aggressive. Sitting back against Italy could be a major issue looking at this game. Of course, that is if we get that far.
Indeed. Italy look to me to be the most impressive side so far. Well balanced and good goal threat.
Going to be tough to beat.