England Euros Hangover?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just thinking that the England players at United have all had a poor start to the season. I don’t watch other teams and am curious how the rest of them are getting on?

Obviously, Kane’s having a shocker. Leeds have been poor so I guess Philips is off the boil? Sterling hasn’t been too good, has he?

Could a Euros hangover be a thing?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Been wondering this myself. Considering it's not just limited to the United players I sense there may be something in it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Definitely. Shaw hasn’t been bad you can just see he isn’t quite fully fit and able to accelerate the way he has been able to before. The turnaround period to the season starting was very fast and “hangover” is a good way to describe it.

Classical Mechanic

I think so. Rice is the only one who seems to be playing really well at the start of this season. Having said that none of the England fringe players that didn't go to the Euros except for Abraham and Tomori have been playing that well either.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Well my Euros hangover is just about clearing. Still a bit of a head ache though. So if that’s anything to go by!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed. Sancho hasn’t been good too, but he hasn’t been good for England.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Chilwell is another one, hasn't even got in the team mainly yet. Jorginho not been great either, granted not English but you get the idea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Chilwell is another one, hasn't even got in the team mainly yet. Jorginho not been great either, granted not English but you get the idea.
Actually was wondering if players from other European countries were struggling. Pogba’s probably been fairly standard for us. Maybe Varane is a bit below par? Bruno didn’t play much in the Euros and has been fine.

The Italian lot haven't seemed to suffer. Juventus aside, Immobile has scored 6 in 6 for Lazio and most of the final starters are having decent seasons so far.

We have had two summers with minimal rest now though, it is bound to start causing problems soon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You can add Mount to that list too. He was excellent at the back end of last season. He's been decent but kind of out of sorts at times this season.

Classical Mechanic

A better question might be have any of England’s Euros finalists started the season playing well?

Foden looks sharp. Anyone else?
I think most are picking up a bit now. Saka had his best game of the season just before the international break. Chilwell played and scored for Chelsea against Southampton. Mount came on back from injury in that game and looked sharp. Grealish has done OK for City but needs to adjust to Pep's football more. We just have to hope that Shaw and Maguire pick up soon.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Foden has only started 2 games in the Prem (first of which was 25th September). He's looking great now, the extra time out seems to have helped.
Aye. Most players who've had a full summer tournament will struggle if thrown back in at the start of August. There just isn't enough time to rest and to build up condition again. Usually that manifests as poor form or injuries. Those with the depth to give players a few extra weeks will reap the benefits later in the campaign.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, it’s an accumulation of mental minutes for a lot of those players. Whisper it though, because looking at the Courtois thread you’ll get ran out of town for sympathising with millionaire players!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah, it’s an accumulation of mental minutes for a lot of those players. Whisper it though, because looking at the Courtois thread you’ll get ran out of town for sympathising with millionaire players!
Meh. They just need to tough it out, put on a brave face, and pop down to the pub at the weekend for a jolly piss-up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So that’s Kane back to his best. His poor form was most likely unhappiness about the failed move and a half-arsed pre-season. Declan Rice has been playing well for ages. English City players have been in good form for a while now. Don’t think there was any noticeable drop-off with the players at Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

Are we getting to the point where this isn’t an England Euros hangover and just an issue for Maguire and Shaw as individuals?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
So that’s Kane back to his best. His poor form was most likely unhappiness about the failed move and a half-arsed pre-season. Declan Rice has been playing well for ages. English City players have been in good form for a while now. Don’t think there was any noticeable drop-off with the players at Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

Are we getting to the point where this isn’t an England Euros hangover and just an issue for Maguire and Shaw as individuals?
combination of shaw and maguire not being quite good enough and being perennial bridesmaids. losing semi after semi and final after final has as big of a mental toll as playing games every three days for 2 years. i’m not sure either of them has the mentality to be truly great players either. they both look like sulkers to me. ole also ran them into the ground physically.

norm87cro

What I like about Southgate is that he isnt too nostalgic. If some of the players are slipping he will be more than happy to give Bowen or somebody else a go. People are a bit spoiled about England. This was their first double (at least) SF in two major competitions since 66 and 68.

Classical Mechanic

Rice was one of the few that has been playing well since the start of the season.

Pickford has been Pickford I.e. a lot worse for Everton than he is for England. That’s standard.
Walker has been fine.
Stones has been injured and lost his place to Laporte. Not his fault as such but it happens in Guardiola‘s teams. Last season Laporte lost his place to Stones.
Maguire has struggled but has been better since Ralf took over, not withstanding some bad errors.
Shaw has struggled but is the same as Maguire.
Phillips has been injured all season pretty much.
Sancho struggled after joining United but the team situation was terrible. He’s getting better now.
Saka struggled initially but is playing well again.
Rashford is struggling but was struggling for England before the Euros.
Foden has been average.
Mount had a strong spell for Chelsea and has been good.
Mings is Mings.
Coady is having a good season.
Sterling struggled initially but is in good form again.