England fans, what is wrong with England fans?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Meanwhile in Serbia, the Partizan Belgrade game is suspended because their fans were chanting the name of Ratko Mladic. The right and football is connected in most countries unfortunately, and England is no different.

I don’t really think it needs over analysis about the state of society etc, football has long attracted people like this, and if anything England is one of the most sanitised places in Europe to watch football.
Tchouaméni was the victim of racist slurs in Prague last week, Italy have openly racist/fascists supporter groups (Verona, Lazio, Cueva nord in Milan etc.). We all remember Alves eating a banana against Villareal, France has a couple of pretty racist group as well... it's bad pretty much everywhere.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I reckon, if you want to talk about fan trouble in Serbia or anywhere or in general, start a thread. This thread is specifically about the England fans we are and those we see. Using whataboutism adds nothing to the conversation.

R'hllor

Meanwhile in Serbia, the Partizan Belgrade game is suspended because their fans were chanting the name of Ratko Mladic. The right and football is connected in most countries unfortunately, and England is no different.

I don’t really think it needs over analysis about the state of society etc, football has long attracted people like this, and if anything England is one of the most sanitised places in Europe to watch football.
What did the other side chant?

Dan_F

What did the other side chant?
Probably something anti Serb I’d imagine.

I reckon, if you want to talk about fan trouble in Serbia or anywhere or in general, start a thread. This thread is specifically about the England fans we are and those we see. Using whataboutism adds nothing to the conversation.
That’s completely fine. And actually, whataboutism does add context to what is being discussed in this situation, for the numerous posts during and since the Euro final, suggesting this is a problem with English fans specifically.

Ludens the Red

You're hyper defensive. It was the first game at Wembley since scenes that absolutely disgraced the nation and one of the most high profile pundits there is has had to call out abuse based on another's nationality and hinted at racism towards himself.

You've countless posts in here where people point to fan behaviour at club level in other nations but you're not bothered by that, you're just hyper defensive about England and English football fans

I think it’s a bit daft for you to be placing an incident involving what was probably a small section of Leicester fans shouting racist abuse at Keane into a thread of “England fans, what is wrong with England fans” .

I mean if it wasn’t patently obvious in here over the summer. Not everyone who supports an English club supports England or is even English .

I mean, is that how this works now? Anytime there’s an incident of racism in the country of England, the ‘England fans’ thread gets bumped? Regardless of the set of fans involved or who they support. How is this anything other than dumb?

it’s a fecking stupid bump. Make a new thread detailing it or bump the racism in English football thread. Bumping this thread just looks like agenda nonsense to me.

SER19

I think it’s a bit daft for you to be placing an incident involving what was probably a small section of Leicester fans shouting racist abuse at Keane into a thread of “England fans, what is wrong with England fans” .

I mean if it wasn’t patently obvious in here over the summer. Not everyone who supports an English club supports England or is even English .

I mean, is that how this works now? Anytime there’s an incident of racism in the country of England, the ‘England fans’ thread gets bumped? Regardless of the set of fans involved or who they support. How is this anything other than dumb?

it’s a fecking stupid bump. Make a new thread detailing it or bump the racism in English football thread. Bumping this thread just looks like agenda nonsense to me.
I don't think it's daft. Not much else to say only Ian Wright deemed it worthy of attention. Another shame at Wembley really

RUCK4444

Gutting for the Liechtenstein and Faroe Islands players. :(
:lol: Why are England permanently playing shite teams. Makes the international breaks even more fecking annoying.

Every international break, I'm already bored of international football, I turn on the telly to begrudgingly watch a bit and it's always England vs Andorra or San Marino or some other obscure rubbish team.

reuben290

:lol: Why are England permanently playing shite teams. Makes the international breaks even more fecking annoying.

Every international break, I'm already bored of international football, I turn on the telly to begrudgingly watch a bit and it's always England vs Andorra or San Marino or some other obscure rubbish team.
He/she was joking about Liechtenstein or Faroe Islands... they're not playing them. Their next two scheduled games are against Albania (their last home World Cup qualifier) and their first Nations League opponent in June next year (which will be against an evenly-matched team, which is a great thing about how the Nations League works).

They play teams like San Marino or Andorra every now and then due to how the seeding works in World Cup/Euro qualifying... England are always in Pot 1 due to being a top nation (based on results), and they play a team home and away in Pot 2, Pot 3, Pot 4, Pot 5 and Pot 6... Pot 6 obviously having the worst teams. The reason you've probably noticed it more this year is because Andorra have actually improved in recent times, nicking the odd rare win or draw, so they were in Pot 5 this year. People like to complain about this format, but it's the exact same format used for every single group stage in football in the world (Champions League groups, World Cup groups etc). It's so all the top teams don't get drawn together in the same group and knock each other out, while the lesser teams qualify due to getting resuits against similar lesser teams.

RUCK4444

He/she was joking about Liechtenstein or Faroe Islands... they're not playing them. Their next two scheduled games are against Albania (their last home World Cup qualifier) and their first Nations League opponent in June next year (which will be against an evenly-matched team, which is a great thing about how the Nations League works).

They play teams like San Marino or Andorra every now and then due to how the seeding works in World Cup/Euro qualifying... England are always in Pot 1 due to being a top nation (based on results), and they play a team home and away in Pot 2, Pot 3, Pot 4, Pot 5 and Pot 6... Pot 6 obviously having the worst teams. The reason you've probably noticed it more this year is because Andorra have actually improved in recent times, nicking the odd rare win or draw, so they were in Pot 5 this year. People like to complain about this format, but it's the exact same format used for every single group stage in football in the world (Champions League groups, World Cup groups etc). It's so all the top teams don't get drawn together in the same group and knock each other out, while the lesser teams qualify due to getting resuits against similar lesser teams.
Yeah I get how it works but it’s just laughable how many seemingly easy games England have, they always tend to do well in qualifying and get the easier draws through results as you pointed out.

Just seems like a never ending repeat of ‘nothing games’ whenever I watch England, it’s probably not as bad as I think, just an observation.

MalaysianRed7

I’m not English so before I say anything, please take my post with a pinch of salt. However, as a non-English person living in England, and who supports England at major international tournaments as a result and because my country can’t even qualify for our own continental tournament, this is my opinion.

I’ll begin by saying that since moving here, the English have been absolutely brilliant to me and I haven’t experienced a shred of racism, which wasn’t the case even in my own country, where I am part of a minority group. However, in terms of English fans, while the majority are just like the good people I’ve encountered, there seems to be a larger portion of numpties than fans in other countries. I simply don’t understand how inhumane these people must be, that their first thought when 3 ridiculously talented young lads who gave their all for them miss a penalty, is to insult their skin colour. That’s not withstanding the little manhunt for black people after the final. The whole episode was, for me, the most atrocious in the history of modern football fandom.

Then you have what happened throughout the Euros. Since starting to watch football in 2009, I’ve watched 10 international tournaments in it’s entirety (3 World Cups, 3 Euros, 2 Asian Cups and 2 Copas). In these tournaments, only one host nation has booed the national anthem of not just one, but every single one of their opponents. That’s not just bad sportsmanship, it’s frankly disgusting and xenophobic. On a lighter note, how can you even think of booing the Italian anthem no matter how much of an idiot you want to make yourself look? It’s absolutely beautiful.

Personally, I feel like these things are perpetuated by the media. I mean, just look at the disparity in how Mason and Foden were treated for the exact same offence. Only one reason for that. What about the way Sterling has been bullied for the last decade? Let alone not being able to buy a car or get a tattoo without being scrutinised, the man cannot even buy a house for his mother in peace. In that sense, you can’t really blame these people. The majority of English people want nothing to do with this sort of nonsense anyway, hence why England is such an amazing country in my view. Therefore, if this loud minority are dumb enough to get involved in these gangster behaviours in the first place, then they’re definitely dumb enough to be polluted even further by the racist part of the media.

Anyway, that’s just my two pennies worth as an outsider who is now somewhat of an insider. I had to say it because I feel like these fools give the good people and football fans in this country a bad name, and they are more prevalent here than anywhere else. It has to be stamped out, and quick, not least because England won’t have a hope of hosting World Cup 2030 otherwise.

Reactions: Carolina Red