English cricket thread

Wilt

Suicide declaration ?

100 overs to get 342 ….Pak should do this

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I wouldn’t be surprised, in fact I would say it’s a great possibility given how flat this deck is. However it’s the ethos the team is playing under, to try and go for the win best you can and that’s a risk. It’s different to previous England teams
Eactly. It’s about making a match of it and entertaining the public. It’s exactly what test cricket is crying out for, especially on docile pitches like this one. Yes they may lose this test, but at least everybody has been entertained.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England declare and in doing so the bookies make Pakistan favs. Bonkers Cricket.

Dan_F

I haven’t watched any play today. How many wickets fell due to the pitch or bowling and how many fell due to shot selection? Seems pretty much nailed on that England lose from here, but I guess we’ll see what the pressure of chasing does.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I haven’t watched any play today. How many wickets fell due to the pitch or bowling and how many fell due to shot selection? Seems pretty much nailed on that England lose from here, but I guess we’ll see what the pressure of chasing does.
Pretty much all to trying to hit the ball into Qatar.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Rather lose doing this than bat out the rest of the day to a bore draw to be honest. Going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Yes but there's a happy medium. We should have pushed it to 380 IMO.

But this is the way they want to do it and gets them going so fair play let's see.

phelans shorts

Yes but there's a happy medium. We should have pushed it to 380 IMO.

But this is the way they want to do it and gets them going so fair play let's see.
I predicted 350 declaration but admittedly didn’t see the pre lunch acceleration coming, assumed it would be half an hour or so after lunch.

I’m all for it, if Joe Root can bat left handed in a test then why not dangle that carrot.

Doracle

I feel this is a bit too easy a target. If Pakistan bat at the same speed as the first innings they win easily. This type of declaration should encourage slightly faster scoring than the batting team is completely comfortable with. Perhaps 45 more minutes and another 50 runs would have been about right.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I feel this is a bit too easy a target. If Pakistan bat at the same speed as the first innings they win easily. This type of declaration should encourage slightly faster scoring than the batting team is completely comfortable with. Perhaps 45 more minutes and another 50 runs would have been about right.
Same for me. This feels a bit to much on the reckless side.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Can imagine even Shane Warne saying this declaration is a bit risky after spending years insisting captains should declare earlier. I like it though, as McCullum has articulated many times, at this level players have a duty to entertain. England batting how they have and declaring when they did, has made a very boring pitch, very entertaining.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
England will win this. Pakistan will play defensive & ultimately crumble under the pressure.

IRN-BRUno

I'd rather they'd batted for another 30-40 minutes but they've said enough times that they aren't interested in draws so fair play for being brave enough to go with it. They'll win more games but also look stupid on occasions, just need to accept it when that happens and enjoy the entertainment.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Unbelievable declaration by England.

Ridiculous brand of cricket. Love it.

They'll probably lose I think.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Meanwhile Zak Crawley

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
England will win this. Pakistan will play defensive & ultimately crumble under the pressure.
It’s a toughie. I think this team is capable of playing defensive enough to see out the final day. But part of me thinks they should go for it. Our bowling unit hasn’t been good enough so maybe time for the batting lineup to stand up.

ArmchairCritic

260 odd in 75 overs or so. Another 40 would have taken 6 overs out of the game but would definitely have given England some extra leeway, as it stands Pakistan just need to bat the day and they’ll get the total.

Love the approach anyway, England lose tests all the time, might as well lose them on your own terms.

Dan_F

I predict all the people saying they don't mind England losing after that bold declaration, as long as there's a result, will be back tracking if England lose.
Maybe. I think it was 40 runs short on this pitch but the leadership team are probably thinking more about the mentality long term and are willing to risk a short term result - they can turn around to the players and say “we told you we’d do this - believe in us”.

It also means opposing teams will think twice about declaring in similar positions, as they know England will go all out for the win.

ArmchairCritic

Maybe. I think it was 40 runs short on this pitch but the leadership team are probably thinking more about the mentality long term and are willing to risk a short term result - they can turn around to the players and say “we told you we’d do this - believe in us”.

It also means opposing teams will think twice about declaring in similar positions, as they know England will go all out for the win.
Nothing says not fearing losing than losing a game that you controlled for 4 days because of decision you made.

Personally I would have wanted another 40 runs too but I’m full of admiration of how McCullum and Stokes approach the game, they talk about wanting to make test cricket watchable and they are walking the walk. The selfish Englishman in me wants them to be a bit greedier (Stokes really owes to himself to bat a bit more seriously) but the cricket fan in me just absolutely loves the way they just go for everything.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I predict all the people saying they don't mind England losing after that bold declaration, as long as there's a result, will be back tracking if England lose.
No, I’ve accepted England will probably lose this match. Fair play to Stokes for making an exciting day.

I wonder if the critics would backtrack though in the unlikely event England win.

TheGame

Stupid declaration. Why not bat out the day or leave a few overs at the end and set them over 400. Great to play positive cricket but no need to go kamikaze at the end. It’s a flat pitch, we have 1 full time spinner and Pakistan have decent players to chase it down. England have played well for 4 days so it’s kind of stupid to throw it away on the last day.

phelans shorts

Stupid declaration. Why not bat out the day or leave a few overs at the end and set them over 400. Great to play positive cricket but no need to go kamikaze at the end. It’s a flat pitch, we have 1 full time spinner and Pakistan have decent players to chase it down. England have played well for 4 days so it’s kind of stupid to throw it away on the last day.
Sure, why try to win when you can simply play not to lose.