English cricket thread

LDUred

First test of the English summer being played at Lords and Broad has the 20th fifer of his test career.

Ireland all out for 172.

Will be interesting to see England's approach here and whether it will be the usual Bazball. Zak Crawley needs a score here.

G-manc

Crawley will do well to last the full Ashes series given how wayward his driving is away from his body.

2 inside edges for 4 in one over on a flat track against trundlers.

paulscholes18

Most of Crawley’s runs have been inside edges, but he’s still in which is the main thing.
Another 50 for Duckett

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's like watching a right handed Stuart Broad.

G-manc

Surely they have attempted some sort of ironing out of Crawley’s technical flaws rather than just giving him a free rein to be reckless and hope it comes off.

You can still be aggressive and Correct flaws and yet he’s still got his feet set in concrete driving on the up. Mitch Starc’s inswinger will give him fits.

DOTA

Surely they have attempted some sort of ironing out of Crawley’s technical flaws rather than just giving him a free rein to be reckless and hope it comes off.
Good one.

Dan_F

Have to wonder if there is any point in using Crawley when you’ve got Foakes out the team. I guess Bairstow’s best form hasn’t come as an opener, but having Crawley and Duckett opening is just asking for early wickets. Would it really be a big ask for Pope to give it a go, although clearly they won’t be changing anything for the first test.

DOTA

Have to wonder if there is any point in using Crawley when you’ve got Foakes out the team. I guess Bairstow’s best form hasn’t come as an opener, but having Crawley and Duckett opening is just asking for early wickets. Would it really be a big ask for Pope to give it a go, although clearly they won’t be changing anything for the first test.
I feel like just telling Foakes there's an opener spot he can have a crack at if he fancies it would make more sense than this.

EDIT - Or is keeping and opening too much of a workload in tests? I guess it is.

Dan_F

I feel like just telling Foakes there's an opener spot he can have a crack at if he fancies it would make more sense than this.

EDIT - Or is keeping and opening too much of a workload in tests? I guess it is.
Probably. Seems like Stokes wants positive starts too, so Foakes plodding along might put too much pressure on the rest of the higher order to score.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Lot of negativity when you consider the scoreboard. The reality is that England are looking very strong in the bowling & batting departments.

DOTA

Irish cricket's gone in the wrong direction quite a bit, hasn't it? At this level, I mean, no idea otherwise.

I feel like most of their players from 10 years ago would walk in to this side.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Irish cricket's gone in the wrong direction quite a bit, hasn't it? At this level, I mean, no idea otherwise.

I feel like most of their players from 10 years ago would walk in to this side.
Weirdly from a red ball perspective, gaining Test Match status has been a huge hinder to this Irish side. Has limited access to the county championship etc. Someone like Mark Adair could have developed much further than he has done.

DOTA

Weirdly from a red ball perspective, gaining Test Match status has been a huge hinder to this Irish side. Has limited access to the county championship etc. Someone like Mark Adair could have developed much further than he has done.
I think someone on the commentary yesterday said Paul Stirling counts as an overseas player, despite being born the UK, which doesn't seem great for a variety of reasons.
England’s obsession with golf is incredibly annoying.
Feels disrespectful.

Dan_F

Feels disrespectful.
Not sure what else they’re expected to do. Keep batting and pile on 600 runs? I don’t really understand the point of this, surely they could have got a better team in as prep.

Skills

Snitch
Not sure what else they’re expected to do. Keep batting and pile on 600 runs? I don’t really understand the point of this, surely they could have got a better team in as prep.
It's fun to watch. They should go for a 1000

IRN-BRUno

I don't think their own domestic tournament restarted after Covid either so their only first-class matches are the occasional Test. They had a few debutants in Sri Lanka who'd never played a red ball match before.

If Josh Little was available you'd expect a bit more threat from them but this is basically a county 2nd XI attack.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Once Pope gets his 100, England should declare. Unless they want to continue stat padding in which case Duckett can go for 200…

Agent Red

I guess maybe this helps to build up confidence levels, even if the standard is wildly below what they’ll face from the Australians.

Going tomorrow and don’t even know if we’ll get a full day

DOTA

I don't think the 600 is necessary but I wouldn't have been impressed if we'd declared with a lead of 200 just cause we wanted to end it quickly.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You guys are miserable sods. Teams barely declare the 1st innings on day 2 never mind the 2nd innings.

Hope they bat until day 4 and smash the selfish records set by statpadders like Lara.

Dan_F

Surprised they didn’t want to give Bairstow some time in the middle.

DOTA

Whey! Now get yourself a few more.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What's the point of this?

Slightly embarrassing for Ireland.
Well it's not embarrassing for Ireland as literally nobody gives a flying fluck about cricket over here. I couldn't name one player. But clearly they shouldn't be on the same field as England.

DOTA

Eoin Morgan always sounds like the nicest, most boring person you could ever meet. Like, you'd be very happy to have him around but you'd keep forgetting he was there.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Crawley will do well to last the full Ashes series given how wayward his driving is away from his body.

2 inside edges for 4 in one over on a flat track against trundlers.
I’m really worried about him. So much opportunity for the Aussies to put immediate pressure on him/us. We really don’t need that.

LDUred

Fionn Hand and Josh Tongue would get in a body parts XI (along with Travis Head, Felix Organ, and Salman Butt).

Dan_F

Eoin Morgan always sounds like the nicest, most boring person you could ever meet. Like, you'd be very happy to have him around but you'd keep forgetting he was there.
He was pretty transformational in terms of leadership. No way that was all just tactics and being a nice guy.