English cricket thread

Sibley approaching another hundred.
He may not be good enough. But he absolutely deserves the opportunity.

But at whose expense I don’t know. Don’t see them jettisoning Roy fully; and Denly deserves to keep his place

Can see them stick with Roy and then giving Sibley a chance next summer

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Think the rationale is that you need bowlers who can take wickets in all conditions (i.e. More Archers and fewer Woakes) and flat pitches are most likely to achieve that.

England will always produce bowler-friendly conditions, given the climate and soil conditions. But the balance definitely needs to be moved in favour of the batsman a bit.
I'd have do some more research but I'd re-iterate the same thing. In the last decade or two, we had Zaheer who was phenomenal on flat wickets but that was about it - the rest, who always grew up on similar wickets, were useless in conditions which favoured them and those which didn't.

England's biggest issue is persisting with guys who aren't very good at test cricket - a middle order of Stokes, Bairstow, Ali and Buttler, all of whom average in the mid 30s is lacking. Although, in this current climate, there aren't many great middle order players in world cricket (5-7) similar to years where Laxman, Clarke, Collingwood, Martyn, Gilchrist excelled in the late game.

JohnnyKills

ECB Central Contracts list:

Test

Anderson Archer Bairstow Broad Burns Buttler Curran Root Stokes Woakes

ODI / T20

Ali Archer Bairstow Buttler Denly Morgan Rashid Root Roy Stokes Woakes Wood

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...cher-caps-stellar-summer-ecb-central-contract
Have to say it seems strange we're renewing Anderson. He's just turned 37 and it looks like we're moving towards a quicker, more all-round bowling attack.

He's been a brilliant bowler for us but maybe it's time to move on?

JohnnyKills

He may not be good enough. But he absolutely deserves the opportunity.

But at whose expense I don’t know. Don’t see them jettisoning Roy fully; and Denly deserves to keep his place

Can see them stick with Roy and then giving Sibley a chance next summer
Would be very surprised if one of Sibley or Crawley didn't go on tour.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Have to say it seems strange we're renewing Anderson. He's just turned 37 and it looks like we're moving towards a quicker, more all-round bowling attack.

Me too. Also surprised Bairstow and Buttler being backed with such conviction in test team. I’m guessing Curran is a statement of future intent.

Ali losing his test contract will hopefully provide him to stimulus required to sort his game out and regain his place.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Why? Anderson's conditioning is fantastic and he's an automatic pick for home tests. Also beneficial to have him impart his knowledge to Archer.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Me too. Also surprised Bairstow and Buttler being backed with such conviction in test team. I’m guessing Curran is a statement of future intent.

Ali losing his test contract will hopefully provide him to stimulus required to sort his game out and regain his place.
Moeen says he's having a break from tests but is not ruling himself out of them long term.

Balljy

Automatic pick when he's 38?

It's a very weird decision for me considering his age, his injuries keeping out of effectively the whole series (which are probably related to the fact he's 38) and that the next ashes will be in Australia where he is unlikely to be that useful considering the conditions there.

It would make much more sense to give somebody a chance in preparation for the next ashes. Broad is debatable, as he has a very good series and it may be premature to drop him, although the conditions in Australia may not suit him either with another 2 years on the clock.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not giving Jimmy a contract would basically be retiring him. We weren't about to do that. There wasn't really an option here and it makes little difference.

I have no issue with any of the contract decisions.

JohnnyKills

I'd have do some more research but I'd re-iterate the same thing. In the last decade or two, we had Zaheer who was phenomenal on flat wickets but that was about it - the rest, who always grew up on similar wickets, were useless in conditions which favoured them and those which didn't.

England's biggest issue is persisting with guys who aren't very good at test cricket - a middle order of Stokes, Bairstow, Ali and Buttler, all of whom average in the mid 30s is lacking. Although, in this current climate, there aren't many great middle order players in world cricket (5-7) similar to years where Laxman, Clarke, Collingwood, Martyn, Gilchrist excelled in the late game.
You've produced Bumrah though? Surely that vindicates the policy.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Still seems pretty flat when England play there.

Do you mean the pitches have speeded up?
A couple of years ago I read that they were looking to change towards bowler friendly conditions. Whether that happened, i'm not quite sure but we have improved vastly in that aspect.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Vitality Blast Finals Day

First semi is Worcestershire vs Nottinghamshire or Ali vs Hales. Starts in 5 mins and Ali bats first

Second semi is Derbyshire vs Essex.

Final starts at 6.30pm

Last edited:
Automatic pick when he's 38?
I wouldn’t say automatic. But he will still be picked, maybe the odd rest here and there

You saw in the Ashes. No other seamer we had could hold down an end at 2-2.5/over. Woakes and Stokes struggles to stay under 5 at times

That and his ability to take new ball wickets makes him an easy pick for a bit yet.

If his pace drops significantly or he keeps getting injured then let’s reassess

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ali :lol:

No better sight in cricket than watching a left hand bat hitting 6’s at will.

Edit: damn out for 21. Way too soon. Worcs now in abit of trouble.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Cox and Whitely can both bat, they’ve dug us out of trouble in the past so always in with a chance if they’re still in
Irresponsible batting through entire Worcs line up. Even though it’s T20, every batsman has been way too aggressive from their first ball; no attempt to get in and adapt to conditions.
98/7: Think they are out as no way near enough runs.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Don’t like Ali batting at 3. Think he should come in after 8th over.

Aside from recent ton, how has he done this season at 3 in Blast?
he’s been ok since he’s come back from the England team, had a 20 day today and another match then hit a 50, 80 odd and that 120 day so not really any complaints with his batting, we do feel a bit thin once he’s out at times though. This isn’t the first time our bowlers have bailed us out at the end.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How do the likes Samit and Rampaul get away with being so fat? also that spinner who played for WIndies a few weeks back?

NinjaFletch

Incredibly ordinary captaincy from Harmer here and equally ordinary bowling from Porter.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
why are there always Indians and Pakistanis in the vitality blast Facebook comments claiming the matches are fixed. It’s weird :lol: